Quantcast Did your kids get tired of the disney trips when they became teenagers?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Did your kids get tired of the disney trips when they became teenagers?

My boys are 8 and all they can remember is going to disneyworld every year, we started taking them when they were 3. They absolutly love dw and ask me every day when are we going back. But I often wonder will I burn them out? When they get older and start the whole teenage attitude of Im too cool to be seen with my parents and all that are they still going to want to go? I would love to hear of others' experience who their children are older now, or grown, of how they did as they grew up. Did they come to the point where disney was lame? Or did they continue to love it? Just wondering what Im in for. Thanks!

....Although, if it is too lame for them I can just leave them at home and have a trip with just DH and I
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am 31 and my brother is 29 and we have gone to WDW almost every year since we were babies and neither one of us ever went through a phase where we didn't like going to Disney with our parents. We also took several extended family trips and those trips with all of my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are some of my favorite vacations ever!
    If my boys ever decide they are too cool for Disney, I might have to disown them

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

My boys are teens and we've gone every year since they were about 3 and 5. They love it and are always happy to go back. They enjoy Universal now, too, but still love Disney.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We had 5 years between trip, they were 8 in 2006 and 13 last trip in 2011, which I wondered if it would be the last. I was booking a trip to the Carribean for this year when the kids stepped in and demanded to go back to Disney.

My daughter will hang with me and show affection the whole time while we are at Disney!!

Now, If I run into her at the mall... totally different story!!

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

We go every other year or so, since the kids were 10 and 8. My kids are now going on 19 and 21 and they still love to go, but they also have expressed interest to go other places as well or instead, and I don't think my son would happily go every year. But he hasn't been since 2010 and he is ready to go back-- also because he is going to be 21 and has new interest in World Showcase. My daughter could happily go every year, though she has also been interested in expanding our travel horizons. I think going every year would have sparked a rebellion sooner. As it is, they are still happy to go with us. But also okay if we go without them (and we have).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is now 21. We went at least once a year science she was 6, however this year we have no plans to go and she is pleading to make a summer trip!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

We're just entering the teenage years (DD will be 14 soon), but she is still the one really pushing to go to Disney every year. I get in trouble if I suggest somewhere else (except maby WIlliamsburg, she loves that too).

She is already planning her 16th b-day at Disney. I think it is in her genes
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Mine started to want to do other things around 14. We switched to cruises and beach resorts. My wife and I just did our first empty nest trip last September and all of the kids were very curious -- asking about old favorite rides and did we do this or that.

Post Thanks / Like

We couldn't afford a trip until our DD was a teenager....she loves it there as much as I do and will be honeymooning there this May.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We went as kids, and I never went through a too cool for Walt Disney World phase. I'm in my 30's now and can't get there often enough.

My brother was over it for a while, but now that he has kids of his own, he's more excited to go than ever.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

No teenagers yet, but I do have 12 and 10 year old boys. I hope they never outgrow our WDW family vacations!

DH will be away for almost a month at the end of summer. My mom and I decided to take my boys on a little vacation as an end of summer blowout. My kids told us they either wanted to go to WDW or STAY HOME! They said if it's not Disney they'd rather spend the end of summer with their friends in the neighborhood, but if it's WDW then they definitely want to go. So no signs of "too cool for WDW" yet!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

My almost 17 year old boy still enjoys it, and we have been every year since he was 5, mostly multiple times a year.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Post Thanks / Like

My girls are 21, 26, and 28. They still love it. I also have 3 grandsons and they are being prepped for many WDW vacations to come. We live close to the Jersey shore and DW always comes out cheaper for us.
    Last edited by wildernesslady; 03-31-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add on
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know! thanks! ....so, I guess DH and I wont be going by ourselves for a while
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have an 18 and 15 yr old. They still enjoy going every year and sometimes more than once a year. As they got older we started to involve them more in the planning which I think made a big difference.
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

When our boys were small, we took a WDW family vacation about every two years, and they certainly loved going to WDW. When they got to be teenagers, they actually started visiting WDW without us almost every year, sometimes more than once, with school groups such as Band trips, Drama club, and church youth group trips, so they are still getting their fill of WDW and still loving it. The wife and I are getting jealous of their frequent trips without us!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Default re

i would say my 13 y o son, enjoys it more now,
    i spose disney is cool at any age,

Post Thanks / Like

For almost 30 years we've been going to WDW every other year. The following kids started going between 2 and 7 years old.

Niece: last trip at 14; started again at 24

Middle grandson: last trip at 13; went at 21, skipped next two trips, hopes to go at 30.

Youngest grandson: last trip at 17; hopes to go again at 23.

Youngest granddaughter: last trip at 14; hopes to go again at 22 but with college in the mix it might be at 24.

All of them love Disney. But it seems to take a back seat for awhile.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

We have gone to DW every year since my youngest son was 3 and my oldest was 7. The boys are now 10 and 14. This is the first year we have skipped,
    Although we all understand the economic benefit of this decision, the boys are disappointed. Can't wait till 2013!
    Coming up....BCV and BWV 2016????
    BWV July 2010, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15!!!!
    BWV and BCV July 2009
    BWV 12/2008 (Surprise trip!)
    Boardwalk Villas 08/2008
    Swan 06/2007
    Boardwalk Villas 08/2005
    Beach Club Villas 11/2004, 04/2006
    Contemporary 4/2002, 4/2004

Post Thanks / Like

Our 1st WDW trip DS's were 4 & 6. We returned 2 years later & visited WDW 3 years in a row. That year youngest DS 8 asked several times, do we have to do this that & the other! DH & I made the decision that we'd start planning WDW every other year with beach vaca's, etc on the off years. This has worked great for us. BUT, honestly, we've cancelled a couple of beach vaca's & made our WDW ressie's because DS's have commented that they wished we were going to WDW! I like you, disneymomma2010, was always wondering if there would come a point that my DS' would outgrow WDW (hopefully only temporarily), so upon hearing their desire to return to WDW & fearing it may be the last family trip there, at least until they grew up a bit & regained their senses , I have scrambled several times to make more of those magical WDW memories! (Most recently last year, we also went in 2010!) Alas, my DS's are now 14 & 16 & we're planning our first real road trip to Niagara Falls, NY & VA Beach this year, BOTH DS's have let me know that they fully expect that we'll return to WDW next year to experience the new FL refurb!

I've actually had this conversation with them, and told them my fears and both DS's have said that they can't imagine not wanting to go to WDW! IMHO, it seems from reading so many accounts here on Intercot, that the kids that grow up going to WDW don't seem to go through that so much as the kids that have experienced their first visit as teens or possibly preteens. I'm not sure if it's because they were past the age of thinking some of the magic was real, or possibly WDW just not their cup of tea.

I'm so hoping that my DS's never lose their love of WDW and all the magic there!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: