Quantcast Potter Package Deal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Potter Package Deal

OK, I have admitted to never staying at a Universal resort, and I'm really craving to now... I was looking at their site and saw they have a Wizarding World of Harry Potter package... The details are:

- Early park admission to experience Wizarding World of Harry Potter and The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
    - Breakfast at The Three Broomsticks (one per person)
    - Hotel accommodations at a Universal partner hotel
    - 3-day base ticket to both Universal Studios Orlando theme parks (one theme park per day, which I don't mind as I don't have to park hop)
    - Access to live entertainment at Universal City Walk

Starting price per adult at the partner hotels are $305 per adult for the 4 nights, and starting price per adult at the on-site hotels are $679 per adult for the 4 nights...

Honestly, for those of you who have stayed at the on-site hotels, does this sound like a good deal for two adults for 4 nights??? If I do my math right, the entire package would cost $1360 or there abouts...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were only there once, last year, but they offer a stay more, save more type of plan for stays over three nights. I don't know when you're thinking of going, but I just priced the dates in August we want to go. It was $224 a night for 2 nights, or $201 a night for three or more.

Personally, any time I run the package deals it works out to be cheaper to do it separately. It's just me and DD, though, so the CityWalk passes would be wasted, and does one breakfast at Three Broomsticks really justify the price difference from a room-only to a package ressie? Plus, you automatically get the early admission when you stay on site, so it's not really a perk of this package (it IS a fantastic perk, though!).

I'm not trying to turn you off from staying at one of the Universal hotels, because the early entry and the unlimited express pass are so, so worth it. I just think you should definitely explore the differences between packages and room-only.

I hope that helps!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

That seems kind of high to me. In the past when I've run numbers on packages vs. booking things seperately, booking seperately almost always comes out cheaper.

I think I would look for a room discount, then purchase tickets seperately. You still get early entry without the package, and eating breakfast at Three Broomsticks can easily be done without the package as well.

In Dec. we stayed at HRH for $250 a night with a room discount. Not too bad considering we got early entry and ExpressPass.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    OK, I have admitted to never staying at a Universal resort, and I'm really craving to now...
    We were in the same boat - never had a desire. Then with the WWoHP, kids were begging to go. So we did. And we did the HP package. A few thoughts - we would go again (not rushing to, but would do so) but would never recommend the HP package.
    - Early park admission to experience Wizarding World of Harry Potter and The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
    Anyone staying at a Universal hotel gets the early admission. So that's no real perk to the package.
    - Breakfast at The Three Broomsticks (one per person)
    Don't expect much - it's nothing fancy. It's neat to dine here, but it's a cafeteria. I think the only "perk" on this one is that it's difficult to get in unless you have the package with a ressie. Lunch & dinner (from what I remember) are easier to gain entry with no pkg.
    - Access to live entertainment at Universal City Walk
    I may be wrong here... but I think everyone has this access. Not 100% on this.

From what I recall, when we left, we decided that if we went again, we'd stay one night with a two day pass. That would more than cover us - early entry into IOA for Harry Potter. And auto speed pass with room key.

Here's a lengthy report from my trip - it's about a year and a half ago, but it'll give you some idea of what I'm talking about:
    Universal Harry Potter
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I ran some numbers and the HP package deal isn't really a deal at all... You aren't saving much, or at least I wouldn't be...

As for the CityWalk entertainment, I thought the clubs were a separate admission price??? When I looked up Universal tickets, I noticed there is an option to add on club admission... I don't go to clubs so that isn't worth it to me... I would only dine at the restaurants, and everyone can do that without the add on price...

MD, how was Portofino??? I'm considering Hard Rock...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that you are getting extra is the meal at the Three Broomsticks. Plus, you are not staying at an on site hotel which is not the same since you can walk from your onsite hotel to the parks, which is a big deal. I didn't price out your package, but honestly I have priced them out before and they have never been worth doing. Price out the hotel for the number of nights you are staying (the longer you stay the cheaper per night it is) and your tickets for the number of days you need. IMO even if you find the meal ends up being free (which I doubt) I still would not do it because I would rather stay on site.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at the Hard Rock & Royal Pacific. Both were top notch hotels and a step above the Disney hotels we have stayed at. Portofino is on our list to do next, but remember the walk is a little farther than the other two hotels.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    The only thing that you are getting extra is the meal at the Three Broomsticks. Plus, you are not staying at an on site hotel which is not the same since you can walk from your onsite hotel to the parks, which is a big deal. I didn't price out your package, but honestly I have priced them out before and they have never been worth doing. Price out the hotel for the number of nights you are staying (the longer you stay the cheaper per night it is) and your tickets for the number of days you need. IMO even if you find the meal ends up being free (which I doubt) I still would not do it because I would rather stay on site.
    You can stay at an on-site hotel with that offer though...

Doesn't matter cause the cost of booking a room without the offer is actually cheaper...

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at the Hard Rock & Royal Pacific. Both were top notch hotels and a step above the Disney hotels we have stayed at. Portofino is on our list to do next, but remember the walk is a little farther than the other two hotels.
    Yea, I know Portofino is a further walk... That is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward Hard Rock...

I have a few friends who stayed at Royal Pacific, one liked it and one didn't...

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I know Portofino is a further walk... That is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward Hard Rock...

I have a few friends who stayed at Royal Pacific, one liked it and one didn't...
    When you posted you said "partner" hotel which means one of the hotels near Universal. That is different than the three onsite hotels. That's where they get you. If I read your post wrong I'm sorry.

What didn't your friend like about the RP. We thought it is wonderful.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at Hard Rock in December and LOVED it!!!! It's the closest resort to the parks. Now that we've stayed there I don't know that I could stay at the other resorts and have to pass by HRH thinking "if we stayed there we'd be "home" already. There is nothing I can think of that we didn't like at HRH. We planned on checking out the other two resorts, just to see them, but we never got around to it. We actually didn't even see them from a distance, so not sure how far the walk to the parks would be. We never used the water taxi, we walked everywhere, it was much shorter. My SIL and her family stayed at Royal Pacific in Feb. and they said they thought the walk from RP was far, and they took the boat each time. Not sure if they were just being "lazy", LOL, but I loved having that short walk.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    We stayed at Hard Rock in December and LOVED it!!!! It's the closest resort to the parks. Now that we've stayed there I don't know that I could stay at the other resorts and have to pass by HRH thinking "if we stayed there we'd be "home" already. There is nothing I can think of that we didn't like at HRH. We planned on checking out the other two resorts, just to see them, but we never got around to it. We actually didn't even see them from a distance, so not sure how far the walk to the parks would be. We never used the water taxi, we walked everywhere, it was much shorter. My SIL and her family stayed at Royal Pacific in Feb. and they said they thought the walk from RP was far, and they took the boat each time. Not sure if they were just being "lazy", LOL, but I loved having that short walk.
    Portofino is behind the HR and there are so many trees in between the two, that's why you didn't see it. Staying at the Portofino adds about 5 mins to the HR walk. It is supposed to be the nicest of the three! RP is on the opposite side of the HR. It is the closest hotel to IOA, but it is also secluded by trees. Had to laugh about the "long walk". It took us less than 10 mins to get to IOA and about 15 mins to the Studios from the RP.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Had to laugh about the "long walk". It took us less than 10 mins to get to IOA and about 15 mins to the Studios from the RP.
    Yeah, that's why I said maybe they were just lazy, because we never took the boat. We said we'd do it once, just to do it, but it was soooo much quicker to walk. I've also heard that PB is the nicest of the three, but honesly HRH did it for us, and I'd be happy staying there each time.

Maybe if we continue to do Universal on our Disney trips we'll eventually feel the same way about Universal as Disney, want to try as many resorts as possible. But for now we are content with the idea of HRH for any future trips.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

When you posted you said "partner" hotel which means one of the hotels near Universal. That is different than the three onsite hotels. That's where they get you. If I read your post wrong I'm sorry.

What didn't your friend like about the RP. We thought it is wonderful.
    Yea, you're right... My bads LOL... On their website they list both partner and on-site... I should have stated that in my original post...

Post Thanks / Like

But for now we are content with the idea of HRH for any future trips.
    We really liked the HRH too! I know I have said this before but IMO you can't go wrong with a Loew's Hotel. I think it is the nicest chain out there with the Omni's being second. They blow Hilton & Marriotts out of the water. We have stayed at Loew's in other parts of the country and they are just wonderful. Since all three properties are run by Loews you can't go wrong with any of them. You might want to take a look at the RP, because it has a really cool pool area. There is a "water ship" right by the pool and the kids love it.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's why I said maybe they were just lazy, because we never took the boat. We said we'd do it once, just to do it, but it was soooo much quicker to walk. I've also heard that PB is the nicest of the three, but honesly HRH did it for us, and I'd be happy staying there each time.

Maybe if we continue to do Universal on our Disney trips we'll eventually feel the same way about Universal as Disney, want to try as many resorts as possible. But for now we are content with the idea of HRH for any future trips.

We've stayed at the RP several times, the walk isn't too bad. 10 minutes? It seemed faster than the boat. We have taken the boat too. Just wanted to add the pool at RP is awesome, very tropical and fund for kids with the ship play area. I also love Loews Hotels. We always have had a great stay with them!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I just booked four nights in August at Royal Pacific through MJ. A standard room with the stay more discouts came to $210/night including tax.We are only doing 2 park days non-hopping. Our total breaks down to $334/person (2 adults, 2 teens) for hotel and tickets. I am looking forward to the front of the line access that you will not get if you stay off property. In August I think that will be a big plus.

Post Thanks / Like

MD, how was Portofino??? I'm considering Hard Rock...
    Portofino was nice. It was pretty quiet without the hustle and bustle of Disney's hotels. As stated, the Loews hotels are nice, although I don't find them as outstanding as some of the reviews above. There aren't as many dining options as a Disney deluxe, but City Walk is a short distance away. The pool was nice, but without the activities and "busy-ness" of the Disney hotels. No complaints about the hotel. But we spent more time in the parks for our kids on this trip as we don't usually visit Universal.

An interesting note - there are three options for getting to/from the parks from Portofino. (1) You can walk. (2) Boat. (3) A "bike cab" where young men ride you in a rickshaw type cab to the park for a gratuity (they expect a big tip!!! We were told minimum of $10 per person).

We considered the Hard Rock - but were told that it's pretty loud there with music blaring everywhere (including in the hallways and in the pool). Portofino was NOT loud at all. Portofino is the furthest from the parks. In hind sight, I'd stay at the closest hotel to the parks (Royal Pacific, I believe?).

I did find it funny to see dogs in the hotel. Something I'm not used to seeing. Travel to large name hotels in cities around the US, and you won't see many dogs coming and going. It didn't bother me, it just caught me off guard!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing - I hated that they charged you a daily fee to use the fitness center. Most higher end places provide these to guests. I understand about the internet charges, but a fitness center?
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    (3) A "bike cab" where young men ride you in a rickshaw type cab to the park for a gratuity (they expect a big tip!!! We were told minimum of $10 per person).

We considered the Hard Rock - but were told that it's pretty loud there with music blaring everywhere (including in the hallways and in the pool). Portofino was NOT loud at all. Portofino is the furthest from the parks. In hind sight, I'd stay at the closest hotel to the parks (Royal Pacific, I believe?).

!
    We used the rickshaw "bike cab" one day and the driver was very upfront that the tip is completely up to the "rider/guest". It was maybe a 5 minute ride, probably less. There were 4 of us and we tipped $10. The driver thanked us and went on his way. In no way did we feel we had to tip more than what we did.

HRH wasn't loud at all. Actually I don't remember the music in the resort standing out at all. I'm sure there was music playing, but it wasn't loud enough to stand out in my mind. There was music at the pool, but again, it definitely wasn't blaring. It was still quieter than a Disney pool at "pool party" time.

I don't know the actual distance from resorts to parks, but when I was researching the resorts for our Dec. stay I asked on multiple websites which resort was closest to the parks. The answer I got from each site was that Hard Rock was the resort closest to the parks. That may be wrong, but that's the same answer I got all around.
    Denise

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: