Quantcast Good Family Hotel in Philadelphia?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Family Hotel in Philadelphia?

We are heading to Philadelphia for Memorial Day weekend. Kids and DH have never been. I used to go all the time when I was kid, but haven't been in over 20 years.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel for a family with 2 kids? We are looking for the following:

1. Safe area
    2. Centrally located (so we can walk to most "touristy stuff")
    3. Pool would be a plus, but not required

Thanks for any help!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I strongly reccomend the Omni Hotel. It is one or two blocks from the Liberty Bell & Independenance Hall. It is only a couple of Blocks from Penn's Landing, where you can take a boat (cheaply) over to the NJ side and tour a Battleship and the very nice Camden Aquarium. It is also very close to the cementary where Ben Franklin is buried, Betsy Ross's house, and the Constitution Center (a nice museum). The hotel is really nice and friendly. I don't remember if they have a pool.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with NJGirl's recommendation, especially if you are trying to stay near all of the historic attractions. The Hilton in Center City is another option in that area.

If you want to be more centrally located, the Loews' and the Marriott Courtyard near City Hall and Reading Terminal are very nice. If you want to be closer to the Art Museum, Franklin Institute, and Academy of Natural Sciences, you might want to look into the Four Seasons.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

The Omni hotel looks great! Thanks for the suggestion.

I will look into the others as well.

Our kids are old enough to handle walking a day in WDW, so we don't mind having to walk a bit to visit some places.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Natile there is so much to do in Philly. Our favs are the Art Musuem, Franklin Institute, Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell. The cementary is so old, it was very interesting walking around that too. I do want to especially reccomend the "Lights of Liberty" tour. It's a night time tour that is a must do, if you haven't done it before.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Unless it's improved, I'd avoid the Holiday Inn - Center City. At least as recently as the '90s, it was frequented by ladies of the evening. I don't know about now. Holiday Inn - Old City was fine.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

We will definitely visit the Franklin Institute and the Liberty Bell as well as Independence Hall. Our kids are still young, so a nighttime tour probably won't do it for us (they go to bed early).

I'm leaning towards the Omni. Looks really nice and our boys will love the cookies and milk at night!
    Natalie

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Two websites will help you plan your visit.

It sounds as though you've decided on the Omni. This is in a great location, just 2 blocks from Independence Hall, 3 blocks from the Independence Visitor Center, and in walking distance of many great restaurants. You'll also be close to transportation to many museums, shopping, etc.

Check out the websites for the following:

Independence Visitor Center - This site will provide all the information you need regarding sights to see, tours, getting around, etc. When you arrive in Philadelphia, be sure to stop at the Center. It's located at 6th and Market Streets, opens at 8:30 AM daily, and is directly across from the President's House site and the Liberty Bell Center. Independence Hall is just beyond the Liberty Bell Center, on Chestnut Street. On the other side of the Visitor Center, at 6th and Arch Streets, is the National Constitution Center.

Independence National Historical Park - This site has all of the information you need to know about INHP, including hours for various buildings, Independence Hall tours, etc. Timed tickets are required for Independence Hall tours. They are available at the Visitor Center on the morning of the day you're planning to visit; however, tickets can go quickly, especially over a holiday weekend, so it's best to be at the Center as early as possible. If you prefer, you can order tickets for a specific tour time online or by phone. The details are on the INHP site. Tickets are free, but there may be a nominal convenience fee when ordering online or by phone.

And, with young children, you may want to consider visiting the Please Touch Museum and/or the Philadelphia Zoo. The Phlash Downtown Loop is a great way to get around. It's not a tour, but it will provide you with transportation to the major tourist attractions, including the Franklin Institute, Please Touch, Zoo, etc. Information is available on the Independence Visitor Center site; if you google "Philly Phlash", one of the results will be the website for the Phlash. The website also provides details regarding the locations for all stops, fares, etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me for details.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your visit to my hometown!!
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

The Westin is very nice. It is attached to Liberty Place, which is a small, upscale shopping mall. It's convenient to the subway. We don't need to stay overnight when we go to the city, but we did once, just for fun. It was a beautiful hotel, very clean, modern and comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.

Our Memorial Day weekend plans have changed...we're going to Hershey Park instead.

I will keep all this in mind for when we DO go to Philadelphia, which we plan to do sometime this year! Thanks for all your help.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time in Hershey! We go once a summer. Will you be staying on property?
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Have fun in Hershey. It's a great place to visit. Enjoy the chocolate!!
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: