Quantcast Dumbo Spinners Poorly Designed...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dumbo Spinners Poorly Designed...

I know... Shocking right??? Take the cheap way out, and this is the result...

New Double Dumbo Designed by Dolts at Walt Disney World

From Epcyclopedia

It’s been brought to our attention that the first “brand new” Double Dumbo spinner in New Fantasyland is experiencing major technical problems due to extremely poor design.

It turns out the pit beneath the Dumbos was built too shallow and the vehicles are hitting the bottom and edges of it. The fiberglass of the brand new attraction carriages is being scraped away daily and causing the ride system to have stoppages and closures frequently. Also, the water effect has had to be shut off while they try to fix the problem.
    Last edited by John; 06-25-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a shame.
    Last edited by John; 06-25-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Gremlins I tell you... Happening too much to be anything else, no?

/sarcasm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Gremlins I tell you... Happening too much to be anything else, no?

/sarcasm
    I don't know if this is comical anymore, or just sad...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

How in the world can Disney mess up what is the equivalent of a ride found at every county fair and carnival in America....wow, if true that is almost disturbingly idiotic.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Embarrassing, it would have taken relatively little time and effort to reshape the concrete once they knew there was an issue. I don’t believe they would have lost more than a few days in the construction schedule to fix on the spot. Now, after the fact, there will be exponentially more downtime and cost to make the necessary repairs. As Mr. Pedersen noted in his original article, we can only imagine what this is doing to the ride system itself while they continue to operate the ride, I suppose we’ll find out in a few years.
    Lee

DL '13
    POFQ '11
    ASMu '08
    POP '07
    ASMo '05
    DCL Magic '00
    POFQ '96
    POFQ '92
    Poly '80
    Fort Wilderness '78
    Poly '76

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like only one of them is having this issue. Do we know for sure if it’s one or both? If it is only one of them I bet it’s the construction manager’s fault for not coordinating the construction of the foundation properly. Sure it may have been a poor design but in my opinion not likely unless the designer is using a pencil, tee square and drafting board instead of a 3D modeling program. That said, I have not seen the ride in person and I am assuming the pits are constructed with poured concrete onsite, finished with paint and not some other prefabricated construction material(s).
    Lee

DL '13
    POFQ '11
    ASMu '08
    POP '07
    ASMo '05
    DCL Magic '00
    POFQ '96
    POFQ '92
    Poly '80
    Fort Wilderness '78
    Poly '76

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the water effect was off the other day when I was there. Wondered what was up. This is disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I noticed the water effect was off the other day when I was there. Wondered what was up. This is disappointing.
    Well first, is the report really true and has anyone got pictures to show that this scrapping is happening. Since the cars get high in the air it would be easy to see.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Well first, is the report really true and has anyone got pictures to show that this scrapping is happening. Since the cars get high in the air it would be easy to see.
    If you click on the link to the article, there is a picture of the paint scraped off Dumbo's leg.

This is unacceptable, certainly not the quality I would expect from so much time, money and effort put into this Fantasyland expansion. I hope there's more attention to detail paid for the rest of it!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    How in the world can Disney mess up what is the equivalent of a ride found at every county fair and carnival in America....wow, if true that is almost disturbingly idiotic.
    Ask the contractors who probably screwed it up during construction...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lwith58 View Post
    It sounds like only one of them is having this issue. Do we know for sure if it’s one or both? If it is only one of them I bet it’s the construction manager’s fault for not coordinating the construction of the foundation properly. Sure it may have been a poor design but in my opinion not likely unless the designer is using a pencil, tee square and drafting board instead of a 3D modeling program. That said, I have not seen the ride in person and I am assuming the pits are constructed with poured concrete onsite, finished with paint and not some other prefabricated construction material(s).
    There are more than one elephant car which is scrapped up...

Post Thanks / Like

Well pictures kind of prove something is scraping the Dumbo cars... Plus there is another site out there with pictures of more than one Dumbo car scratched up...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, how embarrassing. Guess that's what happens when stuff is outsourced.

However, considering that they were able to completely re-dig the trench of the ENTIRE Small World ride at Disneyland for the same reason (boats were hitting the bottom), in a relatively short amount of time, this should be an easy fix.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Well pictures kind of prove something is scraping the Dumbo cars... Plus there is another site out there with pictures of more than one Dumbo car scratched up...
    So do you have them to post? Cause I'm not seeing a link to click on. Just noticed your original post was edited by John 2 hrs after you posted it. Maybe the link was removed??

Post Thanks / Like

There are more than one elephant car which is scrapped up...
    I figured more than one car would be damaged on the one ride. What I meant to ask was do both rides have this issue?
    Lee

DL '13
    POFQ '11
    ASMu '08
    POP '07
    ASMo '05
    DCL Magic '00
    POFQ '96
    POFQ '92
    Poly '80
    Fort Wilderness '78
    Poly '76

Post Thanks / Like

We saw evidence of the scrapping on the newer of the two when my DD and I rode during our visit (6/11-20). AND most disappointingly - my DDs elephant didn't rise into the air. She let the CM on exit know just how disappointed she was that she was stuck on the ground during the entire Dumbo ride. I was teasing her for being a chicken and it turned out her elephant was broken. BROKEN - a NEW ride and already broken - you should have heard what my DD told that CM about all that - I was proud of her. LOL
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

So do you have them to post? Cause I'm not seeing a link to click on. Just noticed your original post was edited by John 2 hrs after you posted it. Maybe the link was removed??
    The link was removed... The article quoted in my original post was the article from the blog site... I'll PM you the link for the pictures...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lwith58 View Post
    I figured more than one car would be damaged on the one ride. What I meant to ask was do both rides have this issue?
    That, I am not sure about... I've only read one side having that issue... I believe it is the new spinner, not the refurbished one...

Post Thanks / Like

The link was removed... The article quoted in my original post was the article from the blog site... I'll PM you the link for the pictures...
    Thanks for sending that. Now that I can see the pictures I understand. That certainly shouldn't have happened. How could the contractor screw up like that? That's going to cost them a bit to fix and Disney needs to check the work better.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: