Quantcast No More Debbie Downers: Let's Talk About The Good Stuff!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No More Debbie Downers: Let's Talk About The Good Stuff!

There's been several conversations going on about certain things Disney is doing "wrong" lately: the changes to queues, to fastpass, to rides and different lands at the parks. And while I think those conversations are valid and have a place for good debate & discussion, I thought I'd start a thread for people to talk about the things they think Disney is doing RIGHT for a change!

I'll go first.
    I'm loving that they're finally opening up a larger walkway from the bottleneck in Fantasyland to Liberty Square. I love how they're taking time to make sure IASM's show building will be adequately covered by stone and trees so it blends into the landscape. I think this will be a great way to open up that area so there are less strollers bumping into ankles!

NOW YOUR TURN!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

In general, I love how Disney is consistently my happy place. There are always things that are changing, sometimes not to my preference, but it still takes me away and makes me forget the real world and I love that. All the details, the music, the parades, the CM costumes, characters, fireworks, transportation, dining and drinks and shopping and resort themes. Happy, happy, happy!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    In general, I love how Disney is consistently my happy place. There are always things that are changing, sometimes not to my preference, but it still takes me away and makes me forget the real world and I love that. All the details, the music, the parades, the CM costumes, characters, fireworks, transportation, dining and drinks and shopping and resort themes. Happy, happy, happy!
    This. all of it.

I've yet to visit anywhere where I get the same feeling that I get the first time I walk down Main St on a trip.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

With the very stressful life we tend to live (and I'm sure most of you are in the same situation), Disney is still the one place I can genuinely relax and enjoy the services they provide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Couldn't say it any better than this!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Sherri nailed it.

For me, it's the fact that it's the ONE vacation place I can go that I can truly, truly be in "vacation mode."

I don't have to drive. I don't have to overthink things...I know it so well that I feel like I'm home when I'm there, but it's SO much better than my real home. I can truly relax and have FUN!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I love how Disney is still the only place I can go and relax, not think about any of the junk at home, the stress, the people I have to do for all the time, its just a place me and Moma Wolf can go and do exactly what we want, when we want, eat where we want, eat great food at those places and just really spend some time together which we don't get too often normally.
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Sherri pretty much nailed!
    In addition to everything Sherri said I will add that my favorite thing that Disney does is how they can sync music, lights, fireworks, etc., all in time with each other. It makes my senses go into an overload of happiness to the point where I will admit, I cry everytime I watch Wishes and get goosebumps everytime I watch Illuminations (Sorry Mel! lol) and no matter how many times I have seen it I will stop and watch the dancing fountain in Epcot every time it is going on when I walk by.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    . . . I cry everytime I watch Wishes
    Wishes gets to me every time too.

I don't think I can say it any better than Sherri.

When we come to Disney, we always have a car, but we almost never leave because we like that feeling of being away from the real world.
    For me, Disney is a place where I can believe wishes can come true, magic is real and we can all be pirates or princesses or space rangers or whatever for the day.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Oops. Forgot to list anything that they are actually doing right.

Here are a few more tangible things

The Royal Rooms are wonderful. They add a lot to Port Orleans Riverside.

The resorts have a great variety of activities to keep everyone in the family happy

The fireworks/night time shows are great.

Character interaction (overall) is top notch.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I just love the background music that just blends in everywhere. It's so seamless that you don't even notice it's there.

I was staying at the Grand Californian and at night that background music was replaced by crickets chirping. I left my outside door open all night to listen to it. That little thing made me so happy.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

i love how Disney can still treat kids as adults, and makes us adults feel like kids.

i know there have been some people talk about how the service has gone down, i haven't seen it, but maybe true.
    but to me, no matter what has changed. over the years We've lost Mr. Toad, Horizions, etc. and they made room for Soarin', test track, Buzz light years ride, and others. the main characters have had to share the spot light w/ pixar characters and new princesses. There of course are some rides that have been there from the beginning like small world, peter pan, etc....but w/ all the changes, and updates, the oe thing that as remained consistent is the customer service. Disney is still the best.
    last year after spending 8 days in WDW, we were flying home and dealt w/ some very rude people at SWa. My sister looked at me and said "well, we're not in Disney any longer". couldn't have said it better.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

To start the positivity I must say how much I love this thread. You're absolutely correct in the opinion that there seems to be ever increasing amounts of negativity with regards to Disney, and it is important to be thankful for the good things about this place we all love as often as possible!

I for one love how Disney is an escape from the stresses of reality. From the day we arrive until the day we leave, work emails and drama are less important than our time together. I love that planning a Disney vacation is an exciting experience and distraction from reality in and of itself. I love that when we go in 2013 there will be things to experience we never will have before. I love that each trip we meet CMs who love their job and love to make guests vacations even more memorable.

I look forward to each and every trip to Walt Disney World... they must be doing something right!!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's called Magic, memories, and you. I don't know, but it's the one with all of the pictures cascadeing down the castle. And I don't recall if it has its own fireworks, or if it plays with Wishes, but I LOVE that show!

Post Thanks / Like

LOVE, LOVE,LOVE this thread! I love that Disney helps make my special needs son feel like he belongs! There is something for everyone in Disney World! I love that you can travel the "world" in a day! You can have a canoli in Italy and then jaunt over to France for a Grand Marnier slushie! I love that you can travel the Savannahs in Africa and travel back in time with the Dinosaurs, all in a day! I love that if you ask anyone in my family what is one of their favorite Disney moments, the response would be, "Just one!?!?". I could go on and on, but everyone here has such great responses, so add all those on too!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gratuspater View Post
    I think it's called Magic, memories, and you. I don't know, but it's the one with all of the pictures cascadeing down the castle. And I don't recall if it has its own fireworks, or if it plays with Wishes, but I LOVE that show!
    This show is one of the best additions to the Magic Kingdom, and I will admit I was one of those people, when it was first announced, who went, "Whaaaaa??? Photos projected on the castle? That's a show?"

Now I consider it a "don't miss!"

I also have to say that I'm REALLY happy they built a DVC hotel next to the Magic Kingdom. It's the next best thing to staying inside the MK.

The interactive queues for Winnie the Pooh and Haunted Mansion were hits for us as well. I know some don't like them, but to us, the WTP line is a godsend, and the HM queue is imaginative and fun.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread, too! I was going to try my first 'multi-quote', but so many of you nailed exactly what I was thinking!
    Disney makes it perfectly OK to be a kid again, lets you 'tour the world' when you might not really get to, makes your heart smile, and brings families together.
    I think the Art of Animation is a great idea for a new resort--a tribute to what's behind the origin of the Magic! Can't wait!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

LOVE the thread!

I agree ~ too much grumpiness . . .

WDW, for me, is the Magical, Happy place for the eternal child in me who wants to have fun, eat treats all day long and leave being a responsible adult far behind. At least until I get back on the DME bus!!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread too! I'm struggling with the best way to put what I want to say. I guess it would be that each of our WDW trips manages to be as magical or more magical than the last in so many ways. We've been going every other year for over 10 years (taking a two year break so that we can do Yellowstone next year and ). We'll take a trip and come away with the most amazing memories, every time! So, in our eyes what Disney is doing right is delivering the magic for us every single time.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the fact that I can park my car when we check and not have to get back in until we are packing to leave.

Once on property its almost like you've left the real world behind and you can forget anything that's not Disney.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter