Quantcast Cabana Bay Beach Resort Coming to Universal Orlando - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Do you think they may be getting ready to discontinue the Express Pass across the board, Mel? I hadn't thought about that.

It would be ashamed since we just discovered how wonderful it is to stay at a Universal Resort. I'd hate for it to change before we've had a chance to stay at Universal a few more times. It would make me think twice about staying at a Universal resort again. While the resorts are wonderful, and you can't beat being able to walk to everything, the Express Pass is a MAJOR selling point for my family. Without it not sure we'd stay at a Universal Resort again, or at least not as often as we would with the pass.

I guess only time will tell what's going on there.
    Honestly, I do see them eventually going away from the Express Pass option on the rooms... They have been conducting surveys recently about Express Pass, similar to Disney's NextGen Fast Pass Plus.... Where guests would book Express Pass times no matter what resort they are staying in...

No one ever thought that the reason this resort may not be getting that perk is because, by 2014, Express Pass will be Express Pass Plus???? Think.... it is a very real possibility, and more of a probability...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    No one ever thought that the reason this resort may not be getting that perk is because, by 2014, Express Pass will be Express Pass Plus???? Think.... it is a very real possibility, and more of a probability...
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Unless things are getting ready to change.....
    It did sort of occur to me that something may be up.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait what??? Disney treats each guest equal???? Where??? Liek anywhere, you want perks, you pay for them, just like in Disney... Monoral resorts are much more expensive than non-monorail resorts... You pay for the perk...

You want express pass in Universal, pay for the perk... This resort is going to be "value"... They don't have to add Express Pass onto the room price... They are giving families a cheaper room rate to stay on property...

This isn't about treating guests different... This is about offering guests different things for the money paid... Pay more, get more... That is just business in the U.S.....
    I was really referencing fast pass more than anything else and my post was very tongue in cheek, too in responding to everyone being "shocked" about Universal not making all things equal. Frankly, I love Universal and LOVE their Express Pass system. Harry Potter is amazing. My kids love the thrill rides offered at Universal and the Unlimited Express Pass has spoiled them forever. And, Universal seems to aggressively riding the HP wave and making things fresh and new and better (although, yeah, I miss Jaws, too) while Disney sits around complacent and focused on building timeshares instead of making their Orlando parks better. If given the choice, my kids would pick Universal over Disney every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm the only Disney holdout in our family.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

IMO getting rid of the Express Pass perk would be a mistake. I love the Loews Hotels and wouldn't stop staying in them BUT not having that perk would allow me to try a Disney Hotel from time to time.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Express Pas is rarely needed... The rides eat up enough people to not need express pass... And they do a good job getting people into and out of the ride... If I have a choice of a value resort or an expensive resort with the express pass price included in the hotel stay, I just may choose the value resort...

Would everyone be saying the same thing if and when Disney charges for Fast Pass???? Or only offers the Fast Pass perk to those staying in Deluxe of DVC and shuns the value and moderates????
    Ok so if i dont need it, then why stay at a Universal Hotel if I'm going to be spending 5 to 6 days at Disney in addition to the days a Universal?

I personally wouldn't change hotel rooms if i didnt get front of the line pass.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Would everyone be saying the same thing if and when Disney charges for Fast Pass???? Or only offers the Fast Pass perk to those staying in Deluxe of DVC and shuns the value and moderates????
    For me, yup. If I have to either pay for FastPass or stay at a hotel where it's included, guess where I'm staying? Even if it were $36 a day for front-of-line access (Universal's cheapest, off-season price), staying at a deluxe would still be cheaper for my family of five.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

It did sort of occur to me that something may be up.
    I say it is more reality that fiction that this will be the way things eventually go... I don't like it personally, but my opinion matters not to the people in charge... Disney's doing it, seems like Universal is going to eventually do it... I think everyone jumping the gun about the new resort not offering Express Pass are not looking at the over all big picture and the future... Fast Pass and Express Pass as we know it will be changed in the next few years...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Ok so if i dont need it, then why stay at a Universal Hotel if I'm going to be spending 5 to 6 days at Disney in addition to the days a Universal?

I personally wouldn't change hotel rooms if i didnt get front of the line pass.
    Because you get perks for the theme parks if you stay in a Universal hotel... So you don't get Express pass, you get a cheaper room, get to save money on the hotel, can spend it on merchandise at Universal, and get the other perks at resort guests get... There are plenty of benefits, Express Pass isn't the only benefit you get....

You stay at Disney without the benefit of Fast Pass right??? So, why is Universal different????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    For me, yup. If I have to either pay for FastPass or stay at a hotel where it's included, guess where I'm staying? Even if it were $36 a day for front-of-line access (Universal's cheapest, off-season price), staying at a deluxe would still be cheaper for my family of five.
    But, the price of the Fast Pass/Express Pass is included in the price of the room, so you are still paying for it... Let's not be fooled by that... So, you'd rather pay $500 a night for a room with the appearance of a free Express/Fast Pass rather than $125 a night with no Express/Fast Pass??? Include your $36.00 price.. I dunno... I'd rather pay less for the room and if I want Express Pass, pay for it at the park, especially since it isn't really needed most times...

Post Thanks / Like

You stay at Disney without the benefit of Fast Pass right??? So, why is Universal different????
    My answer to that, as someone who loves Disney more than Universal, is that there are "DISNEY" benefits that get me to stay at their resorts - decor, proximity to parks/shopping, transportation, etc. - 'The Disney Experience'.

To me, the express pass at Universal is a BIG benefit and big way to get me to stay onsite there. Now don't get me wrong, we love Universal. My boys, in the last year and a half that we've had Florida resident passes, have come to love Universal just as much as Disney. But again, the Express Pass is that one little Universal perk that I need to sway me over - aka 'The Universal Experience'. Because otherwise, the Disney experience beats the Universal experience for ME PERSONALLY.
    Last edited by Melanie; 07-10-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My answer to that, as someone who loves Disney more than Universal, is that there are "DISNEY" benefits that get me to stay at their resorts - decor, proximity to parks/shopping, transportation, etc. - 'The Disney Experience'.

To me, the express pass at Universal is a BIG benefit and big way to get me to stay onsite there. Now don't get me wrong, we love Universal. My boys, in the last year and a half that we've had Florida resident passes, have come to love Universal just as much as Disney. But again, the Express Pass is that one little Universal perk that I need to sway me over - aka 'The Universal Experience'. Because otherwise, the Disney experience beats the Universal experience for ME PERSONALLY.
    I get that, I really do... But here is the thing with all this... You get the same perks with Universal that you do with Disney... No differences...

Some people say Universal's hotels are much nicer and 1000 times better than Disney's... I have no opinion as never stayed at a Universal Hotel... I think the hotels are on par with Disney's themes... And Cabana Bay Beach is a theme where as AoA is decoration...

Universal has much the same proximity to the parks as Disney's resorts, probably more so... You can walk to the parks at Universal, take a boat ride, or shuttle... You cannot walk to many of the parks from Disney's resorts... You still take a bus, boat or monorail...

You can walk to City Walk and do dining and shopping there... You can only walk to DTD from Saratoga... You need a bus from every other resort...

I know you love Universal.. I have never read you saying anything negative.. And if you did, it was something warranted... But in this situation, I think Universal hotels are very much on par with Disney's, offering the same perks....

And let's not forget parking... Staying on site, you avoid that $12 or $15 parking fee...

I'm saying, if people won't stay at Cabana Bay Beach because they won't get Express Pass, then they shouldn't be staying at any Disney resort since they don't get Fast Pass with their room...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying, if people won't stay at Cabana Bay Beach because they won't get Express Pass, then they shouldn't be staying at any Disney resort since they don't get Fast Pass with their room...
    Uh, that is not a fair comparison since Fast Pass is FREE. I know that might change, but for the sake of argument, it's a free perk offered to all park guests, not just resort guests, so you can't really use that.

How about Magical Express? Do the Universal Hotels do anything like that? THAT is a perk that sways me to Disney hotels, most definitely.

What about extra magic hours type thing at Universal? Do they offer that? I'm not just talking early entry into Potterland...I'm talking morning and evening extra hours. Disney offers that to hotel guests.

I agree with Melanie that the Disney hotels offer a more comprehensive "immersive" experience overall than anything at Universal does. I mean, how is staying at the Hard Rock hotel relevant to the Universal "world"???

Different strokes and all that. Let's remember that everyone has different opinions.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I get that, I really do... But here is the thing with all this... You get the same perks with Universal that you do with Disney... No differences...
    But there are differences, and that's what I'm trying to relay. Again, similar to when I find myself struggling on the podcast, at times I have a hard time explaining what I mean.

To me the Disney perks are superior to the Universal perks, because I enjoy the Disney brand more. Make sense? That's the difference to me. Therefore, there needs to be a really strong perk to get me to a Universal hotel. At this point and time, how things stand presently with Express Pass, FP, etc., that perk is complimentary Express Pass.

And like Natalie said, we all have different opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Uh, that is not a fair comparison since Fast Pass is FREE. I know that might change, but for the sake of argument, it's a free perk offered to all park guests, not just resort guests, so you can't really use that.

How about Magical Express? Do the Universal Hotels do anything like that? THAT is a perk that sways me to Disney hotels, most definitely.

What about extra magic hours type thing at Universal? Do they offer that? I'm not just talking early entry into Potterland...I'm talking morning and evening extra hours. Disney offers that to hotel guests.

I agree with Melanie that the Disney hotels offer a more comprehensive "immersive" experience overall than anything at Universal does. I mean, how is staying at the Hard Rock hotel relevant to the Universal "world"???

Different strokes and all that. Let's remember that everyone has different opinions.
    But you can use Fast Pass/Express Pass... Because it isn't free for staying at a Universal hotel either... They do what Disney does... They hide the charge...

So someone saying they won't stay at Cabana Bay Beach because there is no free Express Pass but they will rather stay at Hard Rock because there is free Express Pass are only fooling themselves... they are still paying for it...

All Star Sports, Movies, Music, Pop, AoA... immersive??? Universal's hotels are on par or exceeds Disney's themed hotels... No, the values are not themed... they are decorated...

Extra Magic Hours is a make or break?? Come on Nat... I know you love Disney and they can do no wrong, but extra magic hours is a make or break??? Probably not for majority of the guests...

Fact of the matter is Disney online fans love to preach how Disney has all this over Universal when it is all hogwash... it is really wishful thinking, or maybe nerves that the little guy has surpassed the rat.... And yes, they have... And thank Comcast for that!!!

Post Thanks / Like

But there are differences, and that's what I'm trying to relay. Again, similar to when I find myself struggling on the podcast, at times I have a hard time explaining what I mean.

To me the Disney perks are superior to the Universal perks, because I enjoy the Disney brand more. Make sense? That's the difference to me. Therefore, there needs to be a really strong perk to get me to a Universal hotel. At this point and time, how things stand presently with Express Pass, FP, etc., that perk is complimentary Express Pass.

And like Natalie said, we all have different opinions.
    Maybe we are on the same wave length but I understood what you were trying to say...

You aren't one of the "fanboys" I described... Yea, maybe you get too giddy over peanut shells in the walk way, but that's okay... I think you look at the bigger picture... And you give props where due (to both Disney and Universal) and you criticize when warranted...

I used to be that Universal basher... If you go back and read some of my older posts, I remember questioning John how he could think the Mummy was actually a good ride... I'm so embarrassed by my pixie dust addicted days...

You see some of it this thread, calling Cabana Bay similar to AoA... The only thing similar are the suites... other than that, Cabana Bay has such a nicer theme than AoA's decorations... That isn't saying AoA looks cruddy... it doesn't...

And going back to Extra Magic Hours (Mel not for you)... Do people realize Disney does not kick anyone out of the park during evening EMH??? Even if you are not a resort guest you can stay in the park... So, is that really a perk when anyone can pretty much still wander the park, dine, shop, and if there is a lazy CM, still ride the rides???

Post Thanks / Like

Melanie, I completely understand what you are saying, and I agree 100%. I'm having a hard time explaining my feelings about the topic too. It can be hard to put into words.

We have really enjoyed our time in Universal. Some of their rides we like more than Disney rides, and I do think their resorts are amazing. However, even with the amazing resorts, and the wonderful rides, Universal won't keep me on property for more than 2 or 3 nights.

For my family Disney still holds the most interest. We can spend 7-9 nights on Disney property and not get tired of it. It's as simple as there's just more to do.

The main thing that brought us over to the Universal Resorts was the Express Pass. If one day you have to pay for it regardless of staying on property or not we may just choose to stay on Disney property and visit Universal as a day guest. I know for sure we won't visit Universal without also visiting Disney, so without something to tempt us over to Universal we'd likely just stay put at our Disney resort.

This has nothing to do with bashing one resort over the other. I really don't understand why some people feel that to love one you can't like the other???????? For us it's more of a personal choice, what we want to do with our vacation time.

We stayed at Hard Rock over Christmas week. With the military discount we paid only $250 a night. The express pass, had we purchased it as a day guest, was running over $80 the day we went to the parks. We would have paid way more for that "perk" than we paid to stay in their resort and get that perk for free. Without that huge perk not sure we would have stayed onsite.

The same goes for Disney. If they start charging for their fastpass, then we'll have to weigh our options when we find out how much it cost. If upgrading to a deluxe resort will cost the same, or less, than purchasing the pass, then we'd definitely upgrade the resort. If not we'd either do without it, as we have at Universal in the past, or dish up the $$$$ to purchase it. Just the same as I'd rather spend money upgrading a resort in Universal to get the pass, rather than stay at a "value" resort without the pass. Totally personal choice.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, first things first--I love the supposed theming of the Cabana Bay resort (and yes, that is a strange and unsuited name for the resort). The artist's rendering of the suite totally reminds me of the "den" where we used to watch TV when I was a kid. I'm dating myself, but can't help it!

That said, I will probably never stay there if they don't offer the Express Pass to guests. That is a huge perk to me and the main reason my son and I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in June. And you can't compare the value of what it would cost to stay there and purchase the Express Pass, as the ticket-option Express Pass is only good for one time at each attraction, compared with the unlimited option you are entitled to if you stay at the current Loew's Universal hotels. So I guess that I am skeptical on Loew's/Universal's attempt at a value resort. Yes, you will probably get a fair number of people willing to stay there for as a cheaper option, but that will probably be because they don't know any better. I think a huge number of people who do their research will choose either to stay at the more expensive Loew's option or to not stay there at all. I guess time will tell.

That said, I think Disney plays the equalizer game much better. They have options for all kinds of budgets and aside from resort-specific perks guests have similar basic amenities as it relates to the parks. Will that change down the road? Possibly, but they risk losing a significant share of the market if they do that.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

But you can use Fast Pass/Express Pass... Because it isn't free for staying at a Universal hotel either... They do what Disney does... They hide the charge...

So someone saying they won't stay at Cabana Bay Beach because there is no free Express Pass but they will rather stay at Hard Rock because there is free Express Pass are only fooling themselves... they are still paying for it...

All Star Sports, Movies, Music, Pop, AoA... immersive??? Universal's hotels are on par or exceeds Disney's themed hotels... No, the values are not themed... they are decorated...

Extra Magic Hours is a make or break?? Come on Nat... I know you love Disney and they can do no wrong, but extra magic hours is a make or break??? Probably not for majority of the guests...

Fact of the matter is Disney online fans love to preach how Disney has all this over Universal when it is all hogwash... it is really wishful thinking, or maybe nerves that the little guy has surpassed the rat.... And yes, they have... And thank Comcast for that!!!
    I don't hate Universal. Actually, I find the Studios side of the park to be really boring, however. Maybe I'm just not that into movies. Only visited the one in Hollywood once too and felt the same way about it. I like IOA a lot. I have been there several times and I do really enjoy it. Can't wait to see Harry Potter land one day, but I am going to wait until the expansion is done.

That said, there will never be a day where I will prefer to spend a week long vacation on Universal property vs. Disney.

Disney isn't perfect. I don't think that way at all. However, Disney parks have always been, and continue to be, better than the competition for ME PERSONALLY. Honestly, second on my list is actually Legoland California. I have spent more time there than at any of the Universal properties and find their theme park experience to be better than Universal by a long shot. And, they are about to open their own Lego themed hotel very soon, and that appeals to me and my family much the same way that the Cars themed suites do. Again, just different things for different people. If I was going to Orlando, and wanted a value family suite, it would be a Cars suite at AoA, not a suite at Cabana Bay Beach Resort. My kids preferences dictate a lot of decisions we make as a family, where vacations are concerned. I assume many families operate this way.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

And let's not forget parking... Staying on site, you avoid that $12 or $15 parking fee...
    this is slightly off-topic, but I seem to remember having to pay to park at HRH per night. I remember it simply because parking fees aggravate me.

Also, a big part of the reason my kids love Universal is the UNLIMITED Express Pass ... if Universal is considering removing that as an option, they really need to re-think their marketing because I know it would negatively impact our decision to return.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

So, you'd rather pay $500 a night for a room with the appearance of a free Express/Fast Pass rather than $125 a night with no Express/Fast Pass??? Include your $36.00 price.. I dunno... I'd rather pay less for the room and if I want Express Pass, pay for it at the park, especially since it isn't really needed most times...
    No, I'm saying it's CHEAPER for us to stay at a deluxe Universal hotel with the passes included than stay at a value and buy the Express Pass per person.

Here are my real-life numbers:

When we went last June, if we had bought Express Passes for the five of us, it would have cost $280 ($56 a person; that was the actual price at that time of year). We stayed at the Royal Pacific for $251 (AAA rate).

Even if we had paid rack rate for the room, it still would have been cheaper than if we paid $125 (your value example) plus $280. And even if the passes were priced at $36 each (plus $125 for the hotel), it would be about the same price total as the deluxe with the passes included, so why not stay at the deluxe?

To us the biggest reason we stayed at the Royal Pacific was the Express Passes. Without them we would have just stayed an extra night at Bay Lake.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: