Quantcast Chance for an upgrade??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chance for an upgrade??

We are leaving for Disney in 19 days!!! My husband and I are going with my in-laws and niece and staying at pop century. My inlaws and niece are all first timers. We are traveling 8/30-9/4. Has Anyone traveling these dates received an upgrade? I have heard of people checking into all star or pop and then being shipped to Art of animation!
    In 09 we were booked at pop then I received an email saying we could upgrade to either Saratoga or old key west: what a treat!!!
    I'm wondering if I should call and ask or if I should wait until we go in and ask for a possible upgrade?
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you ask for an upgrade - particularly to a more expensive resort, expect to be asked to pay for it. Upgrades to another resort such as the one you described above typically are offered when Disney needs to limit the number of room available in a resort for some reason - such as starting refurbishment of a resort after the rooms are already booked.

Typically, if "magical" upgrades are offered, they are more likely to be in the same resort and to something like a better view.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The only upgrade I've ever received was to a preferred room at CBr. And that was because cheerleaders had taken over nearly all of the non-preferred rooms. It was a nice perk, but I'm far from ever expecting an upgrade to a better resort. Shoot, the free dining plan is the best perk I can think of, so I'm happy with just that.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

More than once I have received an upgrade to a preferred room within the same resort, but I have never been moved to a better resort all together.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Margaret: did you ask for a free upgrade or were they just offered to you? Thanks for your input
    Lindsey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey310 View Post
    Margaret: did you ask for a free upgrade or were they just offered to you? Thanks for your input
    If you ask for it, you need to be prepared to pay the cost difference between what you booked and what you want for an upgrade. In fact when CMs chime in on the issue they generally say the #1 way to not get a free upgrade is to ask for it. They give away free upgrades when they're overbooked or just as a little 'pixie dust' to random guests. I get the thought process that it doesn't hurt to ask, but trust me, don't ask for them to upgrade you for free, just be pleasantly surprised if you happen to get one.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at Pop since it opened, always around that time of the year too. Not once were we ever offered an upgrade. Never asked either though. We now like staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort, perhaps I will throw that out there when we arrive 8/25!

Post Thanks / Like

i ws thinking of when i check into POP on the 20th to ask to b in the building across the lake
    Id like to stay at AOA.
    once i was upgraded at WL to pool view, didnt know it at the time though
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Upgrades are a rarity. They are given for the business reasons of the hotel, and believe me as a hotelier, one of those reasons is not to lose revenue. A free upgrade is effectively losing revenue which is why they usually aren't given if requested.

Others have given some of the business reasons such as room/building maintenance, staffing issues, trying to get a guest to buy the higher category the next time, and even good will (pixie dust in Disney terms.

To give an idea of the rarity. If Disney gave upgrades on 2% its approximate 27000 guest rooms that would be 197,000 room nights per year. A large number which is why you hear about them on boards like these. But that means there are about 9,658,000 room nights not upgraded. The odds aren't great.

It is, however, always ok to ask for an upgrade if you are prepared to pay for it. So sure ask for one when you get there. Just don't ask for free and you might still get a free one. However, be prepared to be disappointed.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

:We are leaving for Disney in 19 days!!! My husband and I are going with my in-laws and niece and staying at pop century. My inlaws and niece are all first timers. We are traveling 8/30-9/4. Has Anyone traveling these dates received an upgrade? I have heard of people checking into all star or pop and then being shipped to Art of animation!
    In 09 we were booked at pop then I received an email saying we could upgrade to either Saratoga or old key west: what a treat!!!
    I'm wondering if I should call and ask or if I should wait until we go in and ask for a possible upgrade" OMG the same thing happened to us with POP back in 2009 to SS! and last yr from POP to Poly we were asked if we wanted an upgrade once we got to poly... we are going in 14 days..and have an autsic child I just hope the people next to us are not loud. we were just so lucky 2 times.. I hope at least once everyone gets a free up grade!!!
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

wow you have been lucky.
    I would love to b upgraded from POP to AOA when i get there on t 20th
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I would feel very uncomfortable asking for any kind of FREE upgrade, especially to a higher level resort.

If I would ever get up enough nerve to ask for any kind of upgrade, I would be asking if I could pay to be upgraded. Otherwise I book what I want and only expect that that's what I am going to get.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I would feel very uncomfortable asking for any kind of FREE upgrade, especially to a higher level resort.

If I would ever get up enough nerve to ask for any kind of upgrade, I would be asking if I could pay to be upgraded. Otherwise I book what I want and only expect that that's what I am going to get.
    I am right there with you!!!
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

OMG from POP to Poly??? I think you won the lottery on that one. Seriously, Poly is my dream resort, but I'm afraid that's where it's staying!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I would never ask, I recieved and email asking me if you would want one!! both times..plus the 1st time at POP we had the free dinning which was counter service..ya that was up graded too when they gave us SS resort for free...Ya I fell out of my shoes..and asked for many times because we were in disbeleif!!! I found out why they over book the POP in Sept 09' for the month of Aug durring free dinning... poly pure dumb luck BUT I wish it on everyone!!!
    we leave in les than 2 weeks and my husband siad " so this time we really are staying at the POP", "yes we are "I said!!! he said Finally with a funny smile
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

Always love hearing about the upgrade stories! What a magical moment. We've never been upgraded in WDW. But once, we received an incredible rate offer on a studio at Disney's Hilton Head Island resort. When we got there they'd upgraded us to a 2 bedroom villa! I've never felt so spoiled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post

Exactly. I think that getting a FREE upgrade is great for those who receive it and I am happy that it has happened for so many on Intercot. But to ask Disney for an upgrade when you have mad eyour reservation does not seem right to me. To me (and I do not want anyone to take this the wrong way because I am not pointing fingers at anyone...just a general opinion)the idea of asking for an upgrade is a bit over the line. When I say this it means, you have already booked your vacation, paid for it, maybe already received a discount of some sort (ie. free dining) and now are maybe hoping for some other perk. I guess my thinking is that if I want to stay at the Poly or any other deluxe, then I should pay to stay there. If I want a room by the pool then i should pay extra for that section. I think it would be great for anyone to get these free perks and I am happy to hear these great stories but my point is...if I'm paying extra to stay where I want then why should someone else get to stay where I want and pay less or get it for free?
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012
    8/31/2013 thru 9/1/2013 All Star Sports
    9/2/2013 thru 9/13/2013 Caribbean Beach Preferred Room

Post Thanks / Like

We always get upgraded when we go to the the Caribbean. Asking is not a crime, and you never know what the answer may be! In a place that makes billions each year, they should not take offense to that!

16 days and counting!!!!!!!
    Lindsey

Post Thanks / Like

We always get upgraded when we go to the the Caribbean. Asking is not a crime, and you never know what the answer may be! In a place that makes billions each year, they should not take offense to that!

16 days and counting!!!!!!!
    Just wondering - what kind of upgrades did you get at Carribean? And did you ASK for them, or were they surprises? I've always been in the "never ask for an upgrade" camp since I thought they like to do that to suprise poeple and it always seemed a little...greedy. But maybe I'm too timid and I'm missing out?

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I'm not sure, because both times they were on trips where someone else was footing the bills so I didn't pay attention. I don't think so, and the more I think about it, I think once was actually DCL.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Share This Thread On Social Media: