Quantcast Opinions on cabins at Ft. Wilderness

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on cabins at Ft. Wilderness

I would love to hear from those of you who have stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness campground. We are toying with the idea of a trip for Mardi Gras for my son's birthday. I usually leave the resort choice up to the birthday person, but he can't decide. Yesterday I mentioned that we hadn't yet stayed in the cabins and both of my kids seem really interested.

So tell me everything, the good, the bad and the ugly! Did you enjoy it? How was mousekeeping? Was the cabin clean? How was transportation? Did you rent a golf cart? Would you stay there again?
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the cabins, I think I have stayed there 3 times now. They have always been very clean and well taken care of. The kitchen is nice to have for snacks, as well as meals when you aren't playing in the parks. Plus having 2 tv's at night to undwind is quite nice. The bathrooms are nice (big too!) and mousekeeping has always done a great job.

While the resort is pretty big, I have never really felt the need for a golf cart (that doesn't mean it wouldn't be crazy fun to have one!). We have always just used the internal bus system, and have been very pleased.

I think the thing I like most is the quiet. It isn't like being in a resort hotel room. You can't hear your neighbor flush at 3:00 in the morning. It's just very peaceful!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

It's been quite a long time since we stayed in the cabins but we greatly enjoyed each and every visit there. It's like having your own home on Disney property since you don't share any walls or floors or ceilings with anyone else. You can also park your car right outside your front door (if you have a car). The full kitchen and living space are quite nice to have. The living area has a murphy bed if needed.

We never saw the need to rent a golf cart while we stayed there and typically used Disney transportation. While we never minded the transportation, others have taken issue with needing to take at least two forms of transportation to get anywhere. Typically, you take an internal bus to one of two main bus stops and transfer there to another bus (or boat) to your final destination.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see both of you didn't mind the transportation. I'm one of those who finds having to take two modes of transportation not at all appealing. We would rent the golf cart so that we could just drive to the bus stop, but definitely for the fun of a golf cart too! We do some camping at home and we love having a golf cart when we camp.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed there for Mardi Gras two years ago. We did have a golf cart. We used it when we went to the dock to catch the boat to the MK, and WL. We also used it to go to the pool. We drove our car everywhere else. It was nice being able to park our car right outside the door when we got back each evening. The cabin was clean, Mousekeeping did a great job each day. We were on the regular dining plan that year, and didn't like the fact that there was no CS restaurant there. I'm not sure if that has changed. We would consider staying there again if they had a good rate available.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the cabins two years ago. And if I had been more informed, then we would have enjoyed it more.

We didn't rent a golf cart, and we were located on the far side of the loop. So we had to take a long walk with two strollers to the bus stop and pool The good thing was, that was the first time we decided to just take our car to the parks instead of taking two buses. And now we enjoy taking our car.

But we weren't aware that there wasn't a CS and that made it tricky at times. When you just wanted to relax at the campground and go back to your room.

But we have discussed going back in the future, we just know now to request a cabin near the front of the loop so we are closer to the pool and bus (for our older kids to take).
    07/95 FW
    12/96 Off Prop
    11/97 CBR
    12/98 ASM
    12/01 ASMo
    11/03 Off Prop
    12/04 ASMo
    12/07 ASSp, Pop
    12/09 ASM
    09/10 FW, SSR
    11/11 SSR
    02/12 POR
    05/12 OKW
    01/13 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed the cabins as well. We did not rent a golf cart and there were only two times I was frustrated w transportation. 1-to do to dinner at Spoodles on the boardwalk. (in hind sight, we should have driven) it was frustrating to take an internal bus, then a bus to DTD, then a bus to BWI. 2- when we were on the boat and we had to make an extra stop to pick up a family with an ECV only to find out they weren't even getting off at our (final) stop were the rest of the people in the boat were getting off.

But the cabins were great! The space was nice, having a kitchen was nice. The campfire was fun. Bring your own goodies if you can, they are pricey at the campground (and you only get portion)
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

we also LOVE the cabins and have stayed multiple times...last time my parents had a golf cart for their cabin and we didnt for ours (we typically left at different times and met up). We didn't really mind not having a cart--but it was a nice convenience if my parents were at their cabin to call for a ride at the end of the day with the stroller (and often sleeping) girl.

We also would LOVE a CS or a better way to use your refillable mug (the hours at Trails end and meadows are so limited..we didn't use them at all last time)
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed the Wilderness Home. It was great to have the room, with the living room, full kitchen, large bathroom and back bedroom.

Bedroom has a double bed beside a nightstand beside bunk beds. Bit snug. The living room has a Murphy bed, double rather than queen, that comes down beside the couch.

Reviews had mentioned how dark the cabins are so we came with night lights. We were visiting in December and brought some Christmas lights and a small tree, which helped to brighten the living room.

My sister did spring for the golf cart which was "crazy fun". We did have a great time having that extra bit of transportation flexibility. Since we were visiting in December, we used the golf cart to tour campsite loops to check out the Christmas decorations.

We brought down some battery operated lights for our cart, one being a big Mickey head (made from 3 coat hanger loops), and we had a big red bow for the front.

You could really have a fun time decorating your golf cart for Mardi Gras.

Enjoy

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

a bit late replying - perhaps you'e already mad ethe decision but just in case... another vote FOR. we stayed a few yrs ago with our 2 small children - aged 2 and 4 at the time.

The golf cart is like an extra attraction!! If you can afford it, I would deef spring for it! We could have skipped a park 1 whole day and just let the 2yr old pretend he was driving!

It is a bit snug in the bedroom. Bed and bunk beds don't leave too much room. Our kids were small so it was okay. We had 2 adults on the murphy too (my mom and sister) and that was VERY snug. I don't think we would do that again.

At that age, napping and convenience to food was important, so we fuly utlitized the kitchen and did not miss a CS or mug-filling opps (we don't do that anyway).

I thought mouse-keeping was great, we got TONS of towel animals. We don't camp so seeing all the big RVs and tents was a hoot too.

There are lots of exploring opps - around the cabins, etc. I would def consider doing it again. Also, my DH is not the big DIsney fan that I am so this place, not so "in your face" with the mouska-ness, is good for him.

Hope you have a great time!!
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

we love the cabins at FW...its a completely unique experience that is unlike anything else on Disney property (including the treehouses)...if you have never done it, give it a try.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=disneykidsince1970;2301027]a bit late replying - perhaps you'e already mad ethe decision but just in case... another vote FOR. we stayed a few yrs ago with our 2 small children - aged 2 and 4 at the time.

[QUOTE]

Yes, we did make a decision. Unfortunately the decision was to go with a less expensive option. If we go at all it will probably be in a moderate resort.

We have several other vacation plans next year, including a return trip to WDW next Thanksgiving. And we just got word that our oldest DS's middle school has a 7th/8th grade class trip to DC next May. We definitely want him to be able to go on that trip, and DH, younger DS, and I will probably go with them to make it a "semi" family trip. DC just seems too far for DS to go without us, and we've all been wanting to do DC for a few years now.

DH says if we are going to do two WDW trips in one year, plus any other vacays, one of them has to be on a smaller budget. We are going with his entire family for Thanksgiving and have already decided on Wilderness Lodge, so this Feb. trip would have to be the cheaper one.

At the end of the day we aren't even sure we'll go to WDW in Feb. We'll either scrap the trip altogether, or I am thinking of trying to talk DH and DS into Disneyland in Feb. instead of WDW. Not sure they will go for it, but we shall see.

Thanks for all the opinions! At least now I know that when we do decide to give Fort Wilderness a try we will most likely love it!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

The cabins are considered a moderate...they just came out with a deal for February maybe it'll work for you!
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

We did not like the cabins... too far from the bus stop and the pool. It made for a long frustrating hike back to the cabin carrying two tired children.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydeb View Post
    We did not like the cabins... too far from the bus stop and the pool. It made for a long frustrating hike back to the cabin carrying two tired children.
    On one trip, we stayed in a cabin just around the corner from the cabin pool. It was a great location and we didn't have to take a bus to the pool at all.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    The cabins are considered a moderate...
    Yes, I know they are considered part of the moderate category, but they still cost a good bit more than one of the moderate "resorts". I guess you can say we are looking for the least expensive moderate experience. LOL.

And we did take advantage of the discounts that just came out. We booked at POR, with SIL and her family, and my MIL and FIL decided to join us.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Yes, I know they are considered part of the moderate category, but they still cost a good bit more than one of the moderate "resorts". I guess you can say we are looking for the least expensive moderate experience. LOL.

And we did take advantage of the discounts that just came out. We booked at POR, with SIL and her family, and my MIL and FIL decided to join us.
    IMHO I think you will be happier. I found the murphy bed uncomfortable.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed there before and was very happy with them. Love having the conveinence of coffee and meals in the room. Plus we had a golf cart and took a ride around the campground at night.
    November 2018 - Coronado Springs/Pop Century
    October 2017 - Disneyland
    March 2017 - All Star Sports & Boardwalk
    October 2015 - AKL Kidani
    March/April 2014 - Pop Century Resort
    Nov/Dec 2005 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    Nov/Dec 2004 - Pop Century Resort
    February 2003 - All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: