Quantcast Beaches near Tampa?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beaches near Tampa?

We'll be heading to Tampa after our WDW stay to fly home. We'll have a few hours to mess around and would like to see a beach. I've read that Clearwater is gorgeous, but is there a beach closer to Tampa (in the bay perhaps) that is just as gorgeous? Or does it pay to go the extra 20+ miles to Clearwater?
    Natalie

WDW ~ 1987
    WDW ~ Jan 1997
    DL ~ Jan 2004
    WDW ~ Dec 2007
    WDW POR ~Oct 2010
    WDW POR ~ Dec 2012
    WDW Offsite ~ Mar 2016
    WDW POR ~ Aug 2016
    DL ~ Jun 2018
    WDW ASMovies ~ Mar 2019

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Clearwater is well worth it

As you can see by my signature I've not been too WDW for a few years, the reason for this is two fold, 1st off I've now got a fear of crowds! 2nd we go to Clearwater.

It is probably the best beach I've ever been on, considering the amount of hotels and visitors it recieves. At the weekend it does get busy but it has never seemed crowded.

If you are going eat at Cleawater I would recommend Cooters. It is a 5 minute walk from the Pier and beach. (it has great chicken wings and locally caught fish of the day.)

I would highly recommend taking the extra time and go to Clearwater Beach.
    Kevin AKA Womble
    Disneyland Ca. 91-92 / Offsite 93-96-97-98-02-03-07 /
    Caribbean Beach 94-95-98 / All-star 99-01 / PO French Quater 00 / Coronado Springs 04 / PO Riverside 05-06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    If you are going eat at Cleawater I would recommend Cooters. It is a 5 minute walk from the Pier and beach. (it has great chicken wings and locally caught fish of the day.)
    No way! Frenchy's all the way!
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Caladesi Island State Park, just north of Clearwater.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

We lived in Tampa for 3 years, and only ever went to the beach once. Yep, weird, I know. We went to Treasure Island, and I wouldn't recommend. We did go to Madiera Beach 4-5 times, but mainly for the shopping/restaurants. I grew up in NC and am partial to NC and SC beaches (aka Atlantic), so Gulf beaches never really have appealed to me.

That said, my friends and neighbors raved about Siesta Key near Sarasota and Anna Maria Beach near Bradenton.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a huge beach person, so we don't go very often. If we don't go local, we do tend to head to Pinellas County. Most of the beaches there are better than the beaches closer to Tampa. There are some beautiful views along the Courtney Campbell Causeway and a small beach but it is right ( and I mean right) off a major highway and near the airport.

Clearwater Beach is always popular. Pass-a- grille/St. Pete Beach is also nice.

Fort De Soto and Caladesi Island are rated top beaches that are worth checking out.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Pass-a-grille and St. Pete Beaches. Indian Rocks Beach was also a favorite of ours--it is less crowded.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The original Frenchy's!

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    No way! Frenchy's all the way!
    I'd agree with the Original Frenchy's, for the grouper sandwich, but overall it's a bit limited on menu and size of restaurant, where as

Frenchy's Rock a way Beach is more of a place to be seen, the music can be a be good, if not a bit to loud, I really don't need that if I'm eating! ( my goodness! I've turned into my Dad!)

Frenchy's Saltwater is nice, only ate there once, I found the service to be very slow! Will try again in a couple of weeks time!

Sorry! back to the beaches.
    I'd agree the other beaches recommended are nice ( except for Anna Marie Beach) never been there, so that is on my list of places to try. Thanks Melanie
    The only caution I would add if you choose Caladesi state park the best beach is a boat ride away.
    Last edited by Womble; 09-17-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
    Kevin AKA Womble
    Disneyland Ca. 91-92 / Offsite 93-96-97-98-02-03-07 /
    Caribbean Beach 94-95-98 / All-star 99-01 / PO French Quater 00 / Coronado Springs 04 / PO Riverside 05-06

Post Thanks / Like

I checked with a friend who lives right near the water in Tampa to make sure I didn't miss anything. She always goes to the Pinellas/Clearwater beaches. She said the causeway beach is small and not very nice.

The other Pinellas Beaches are further south than Clearwater but pretty easy to get to. You take 275S and then there are exits marked Gulf Beaches.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips! It looks like we have a lot of options to choose from. We've got some time to decide. We're not going until December. Hopefully it won't be too cold yet to go in the water. The kids really enjoy taking a dip.
    Natalie

WDW ~ 1987
    WDW ~ Jan 1997
    DL ~ Jan 2004
    WDW ~ Dec 2007
    WDW POR ~Oct 2010
    WDW POR ~ Dec 2012
    WDW Offsite ~ Mar 2016
    WDW POR ~ Aug 2016
    DL ~ Jun 2018
    WDW ASMovies ~ Mar 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Clearwater would probably be your easiest to get to, and it is a pretty town and beach.

My favorite is Anna Maria Island, by far!! Beautiful beaches and the island has a really cool "vibe". My folks live in Bradenton and its just a short ride to AMI. We go there everytime we visit.
    "Behold, the Great Millenium Walk..." TTFN - Mike

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: