Quantcast Pin advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pin advice

Post Thanks / Like

Question Pin advice

On our trip to WDW 2 weeks ago, mom bought 3 pins. Today she was telling me about all of the pins she wanted to buy on our trip in 17 days. I did the math and started having a panic attack. I jumped on eBay and bought her 50 pins to trade.

I have read the etiquette post. Is there any other advice you would like to share with me? I do not know anything about pin trading. I don't even know enough to know that I don't know what I may need to know. I only know how to keep my wallet from hemorrhaging.

Thanks in advance.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cast members will trade with you no matter what (as long as the pin isnt fake)... guest dont have to trade but if your polite and they have something you want the will trade... that being said some pins are going to be harder to get then others if you have some specific questions you can certainly send me a message ive been pin trading since its inception and be glad to help
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_redshirt View Post
    Cast members will trade with you no matter what (as long as the pin isnt fake)... guest dont have to trade but if your polite and they have something you want the will trade... that being said some pins are going to be harder to get then others if you have some specific questions you can certainly send me a message ive been pin trading since its inception and be glad to help
    Thank you.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the Pin Books at the resorts, like at the Wilderness Lodge, will only allow you to trade 2 pins per day.

I have even traded with other people (non disney CM's) who liked some of my pins or I liked there's. Being nice and ask if you could see there pins, if you like one ask if they will trade you for one of yours.

Pin trading is super fun, almost like looking for buried treasure cause you do not know what you might find.

Good Luck and enjoy.
    Brer_Fox

Disney Trips
    1988-2000 - 3 Trips Off Property

Oct 2005 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon)
    Oct/Nov2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    Oct/Nov2008 - Wilderness Lodge/ Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct/Nov 2012 - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brer_Fox,
    I think this will be something my mom will enjoy. I did not know about the resorts having pins.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

alot of the resort gift shops have a board with a bunch of pins to trade you keep the backing and make a trade problem with that board is sometimes people trade the same pin over and over so it will have alot of duplicates on it...
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_redshirt View Post
    alot of the resort gift shops have a board with a bunch of pins to trade you keep the backing and make a trade problem with that board is sometimes people trade the same pin over and over so it will have alot of duplicates on it...
    Thanks again!
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen them setup a trading board in Epcot's Mouse Gear shop - they had it up for an hour or so.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mook3y View Post
    I have seen them setup a trading board in Epcot's Mouse Gear shop - they had it up for an hour or so.
    Thanks!
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the stores have pin boards, too. The last time I was there (two years ago) the pin shop in Frontierland at MK had two or three pin boards that you could trade from.

You're limited to two trades per cast member, not just at the boards. The cast members wearing green lanyards are reserved only for kids.

As long as you are trading a tradeable pin, that the cast member doesn't already have on their lanyard, the cast member will trade with you.

It is surprisingly fun. I started several years ago when I was going to Disneyland with my sister and she said she wanted to try it out. I was skeptical at the time but now my entire family really enjoys it.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Some of the stores have pin boards, too. The last time I was there (two years ago) the pin shop in Frontierland at MK had two or three pin boards that you could trade from.

You're limited to two trades per cast member, not just at the boards. The cast members wearing green lanyards are reserved only for kids.

As long as you are trading a tradeable pin, that the cast member doesn't already have on their lanyard, the cast member will trade with you.

It is surprisingly fun. I started several years ago when I was going to Disneyland with my sister and she said she wanted to try it out. I was skeptical at the time but now my entire family really enjoys it.
    Cool! Thanks, I think my mom will really enjoy this.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

All guest services locations also have several large binders full of pins you can trade for. Epcot has always had the best.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    All guest services locations also have several large binders full of pins you can trade for. Epcot has always had the best.
    Thanks!
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

There was a pin board set up outside of the MK last week (under the monorail tracks and near the Poly boat launch.)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

And any cast members wearing a green lanyard will not trade with adults, they're a very few of those now, but it's a child trading lanyard only. I've begged and pleaded, doesn't work lol. Also, there are usually pin trading people that bring their binders throughout the day at epcots pin station, I however, avoid them at all costs. Some aren't very savory people, and have caught quite a few trying to pull one over on people. They most often only want you to buy particular pins and trade, they very rarely trade with you for pins you already have.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    There was a pin board set up outside of the MK last week (under the monorail tracks and near the Poly boat launch.)
    Thanks!

And any cast members wearing a green lanyard will not trade with adults, they're a very few of those now, but it's a child trading lanyard only. I've begged and pleaded, doesn't work lol. Also, there are usually pin trading people that bring their binders throughout the day at epcots pin station, I however, avoid them at all costs. Some aren't very savory people, and have caught quite a few trying to pull one over on people. They most often only want you to buy particular pins and trade, they very rarely trade with you for pins you already have.
    Thanks, since mom is mentally disabled I do not want to have to deal with any funny business. I get enough of that in the real world.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we are the un-savory traders. We set up our bags at Disneyland. It is not a blood sport for us, but lots of fun. It brings my shy DD out of her shell and she enjoys trading with other guests and traders. We have met a lot of great guest traders at the Frontierland barrels. My DD will bend over backward to trade for what someone has on their lanyard. To her it is just another pin to trade off. A one for one trade.

Yes... there are some that are out for blood. We stay away from those traders. We know which ones are sharks and the ones who are not. You do have to be cautious. If someone does not like the trade they can just walk away from it.

Because of trading with other guest traders, my DD's collection has grown into a lot of really nice pins. We also learned a lot about the pins from the guest traders.

I wouldn't stay away from the guest traders. Just be prepared to walk away or have your trade rejected by the guest trader. You never know what treasure you will come away with trading with a guest trader.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    I guess we are the un-savory traders. We set up our bags at Disneyland. It is not a blood sport for us, but lots of fun. It brings my shy DD out of her shell and she enjoys trading with other guests and traders. We have met a lot of great guest traders at the Frontierland barrels. My DD will bend over backward to trade for what someone has on their lanyard. To her it is just another pin to trade off. A one for one trade.

Yes... there are some that are out for blood. We stay away from those traders. We know which ones are sharks and the ones who are not. You do have to be cautious. If someone does not like the trade they can just walk away from it.

Because of trading with other guest traders, my DD's collection has grown into a lot of really nice pins. We also learned a lot about the pins from the guest traders.

I wouldn't stay away from the guest traders. Just be prepared to walk away or have your trade rejected by the guest trader. You never know what treasure you will come away with trading with a guest trader.
    I will try to keep an open mind about trading with guests. If it comes to a cash transaction, I will just have to steer mom in another direction.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    On our trip to WDW 2 weeks ago, mom bought 3 pins. Today she was telling me about all of the pins she wanted to buy on our trip in 17 days. I did the math and started having a panic attack. I jumped on eBay and bought her 50 pins to trade.

I have read the etiquette post. Is there any other advice you would like to share with me? I do not know anything about pin trading. I don't even know enough to know that I don't know what I may need to know. I only know how to keep my wallet from hemorrhaging.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Sean,

For your mom, I would stick to trading with the CM's. It is a great way to have some fun and good conversation.

My DD is shy and somewhere on the ASD spectrum. She loves pin trading but is really into the more advanced part of it. She loves collecting limited editions and WDI pins. For her it is more of a hobby.

Beware... it can be addicting. Have fun trading.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    Hi Sean,

For your mom, I would stick to trading with the CM's. It is a great way to have some fun and good conversation.

My DD is shy and somewhere on the ASD spectrum. She loves pin trading but is really into the more advanced part of it. She loves collecting limited editions and WDI pins. For her it is more of a hobby.

Beware... it can be addicting. Have fun trading.
    Thanks, Marci!
    That sounds like good advice. She will only want certain characters and "pretty" pins. She would not care if one had more "value" than another.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: