Quantcast Help! internet elecronics idiot here

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Help! internet elecronics idiot here

Is there such a thing as a tablet that is like a personal computer, in that a person can go to a couple of favorite internet sites - like an on-line classifieds site, and possibly Facebook and check e-mail using the wireless internet connection at home?

I'm thinking of DH, who is 76 and likes to sit in his recliner better than at the computer desk. He amazingly loves his new touchscreen cell phone and navigates that well enough (he hasn't got any data capabilities on it - screen is awfully small as are the buttons).

He says someone is always on the computer anyway, so he has no time at it. Which might be an excuse not to use it (that is, learn something new or even maintain a new skill).

I'd really like for him to get on Facebook more because his sister and both his daughters and even, now that I think of it, all his granddaughters are on there a lot. All of them - DH included - are allergic to actually verbally communicatng by way of the phone. Once he got the hang of Facebook, I know he'd get a kick out of keeping in touch with his relatives and looking at photos of great grandkids. Lots of his friends are on there too.

I had been thinking of getting him a refurbed Apple laptop of some sort that he could keep at his recliner until I realized he's much happier with his touch screen phone. I'm thinking he'd like a tablet sort of thing but I know nothing about them.

He's not a game player except for solitaire. Years ago he had a Blackjack game he liked.

I'd sure appreciate any info y'all can provide.

Jan

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Any of the new tablets and even most of the new e-readers have wifi and an internet browser. I love my iPad and highly recommend it for ease of use.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

My Mom is 68 and she just got an iPad and loves it. It's much easier than using the laptop. She does not have her own Facebook but she knows my password and keeps up with what everyone is doing on mine. Hers just has wifi. There are so many free apps on iTunes. The local news and weather and you can use it as an e reader.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an iPad would be great.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, an iPad is the ticket. Don't bother with the Android ones, the support offered on the iPad (by someone else) would probably make it worth it's weight in gold.

Also, I'd suggest either the iPad 2 or 3. The iPad 1 is out of support for firmware in a few days. The only reason I'd suggest the 3 over the 2 would be the same reason, however you probasbly got another couple of years left. Apps require more space on the 3 vs the 2, making spending more money on entra memory a more thought out decision. I usually go light on memory becuase I stream EVERYTHING to my iDevices, but not everyone does that.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I'm overwhelmed by the quick responses!

Thanks!

As for apps, I can't think DH would even be interested? What sorts of apps are popular? I'm thinking he wouldn't be needing a lot of memory. More memory - more cost?

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I use both my laptop and Toshiba Thrive while sitting in my recliner. Both are linked to my WiFi.

I recently took it to WDW and used it at POP to check emails and all of the other stuff you would check with your regular computer or laptop.

The Thrive is a good Android unit that comes with 16 Gb of memory and is expandable to 32 Gb with a memory card.

My daughter has an I-pad 2 and paid about $200 more for hers than I paid.

I would check to see which fits you best.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    Wow! I'm overwhelmed by the quick responses!

Thanks!

As for apps, I can't think DH would even be interested? What sorts of apps are popular? I'm thinking he wouldn't be needing a lot of memory. More memory - more cost?

Jan
    Yes, more memory more cost. To be honest, have had my iPad since April, it's a 16gb, I have so much stuff on this thing, and it has barely used a 5gb lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    Yes, more memory more cost. To be honest, have had my iPad since April, it's a 16gb, I have so much stuff on this thing, and it has barely used a 5gb lol
    Yes, 16G is probably more than enough really. IF you start storing movies and songs on there, you might run into problems.

I've got a 16G and a 32G both have the same stuff, no issues. Like I said that, I stream everything to mine.

You basic apps, like Facebook, Angry Birds, etc aren't going to take up too much. Email is built in, so is the default browser Safari. You can throw Skype on there for videoconferencing.

Actually, check out Appe's site for a refurbished iPad. There are even iPad 3's out there, you can pick them up pretty cheap. Apple makes them like new, outside of the refurbished sticker on the box, I'd challenge anyone to tell that they are refurbed. New case, glass and battery, and full warranty, you can't go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

There may be an iPad mini announcement next month the rumors say.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, if all he wants is a touchscreen tablet for doing facebook, basic email and web browsing and reading stuff...look at Amazon's new Kindle Fire HD. There is a 7" Wi Fi one with 16gb of memory for $199. Either that or Google's Nexus 7 tablet would suffice.

Don't overspend. The ipad is more than what he needs, and you will pay dearly for it.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

As far as apps go, both Apple and the Android market offer huge numbers of apps that are far beyond just games and your DH might find interesting. For example, on my iPhone, I have apps for all 3 local news stations, our local newspaper, the Orlando Sentinal and 3 Orlando news stations, the weather channel, sports (baseball, pro and college football, hockey), Xfinity for my email and home phone, Kindle for reading books, stores (eBay, Disney Store, Target, Walmart, etc), Disney and various other travel apps, and of course, Facebook. There are similar / same apps for iPad as well as Android phones and tablets. Many are free, some have a minimal cost (.99) and some can be rather expensive (MLB is $14.99 per year). I love Apple products for their ease of use but they are pricey.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I hooked my 79 year old mother up with an iPad and she absolutely LOVES it. She was really nervous about using it at first, but after a couple of hours, she was totally comfortable. My DH has an iPhone, and I also have an iPad, so I thought I'd take advantage of getting an Android phone. Worst decision ever. After being used to the iPhone & iPad, I hate it. I'm counting the days until I can ditch it and get an iPhone.

If he can jump on the wi-fi network at home, then you can go with the cheaper version of the iPad. I have a 16G and have tons of apps, and still have 10G left. Yes, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. We looked at getting a Kindle for my mom, but decided the functionality of the iPad would work better and last her longer.

Good luck!!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - thanks! More to think about!

I like the idea of the functionality of the iPad but not the price. Especially since DH might not take to it - old habits, you know. Altho I think he'd use a tablet more than a laptop.

I do like the idea of checking into refurbished - like getting things on sale, as it were.

Since DH is such a minimalist regarding games, sports, reading, etc., something like a Kindle or a Nexus might be the way to go.

Decisions, decisions. But thanks! More info - better decisions.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

You'd be surprised on how quickly an ipad becomes part of your daily routine.

Personally, I don't find any use for the 7" devices, if your looking for a laptop replacement, the bigger screen really will pay off in spades.

I tried the android world, quickly got frustrated with things not working, etc. Went down the custom ROM road to try to solve some of its shortcomings, and that just made it worse. The iPad was pretty spot on from the second it arrived, jailbroke it and there's almost nothing I can't do on it that I could do on my laptop. Ended up giving the android to my 4 year old, and he's got no use for it either, we're going to pick up an iPad mini when they come out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    You'd be surprised on how quickly an ipad becomes part of your daily routine.

Personally, I don't find any use for the 7" devices, if your looking for a laptop replacement, the bigger screen really will pay off in spades.

I tried the android world, quickly got frustrated with things not working, etc. Went down the custom ROM road to try to solve some of its shortcomings, and that just made it worse. The iPad was pretty spot on from the second it arrived, jailbroke it and there's almost nothing I can't do on it that I could do on my laptop. Ended up giving the android to my 4 year old, and he's got no use for it either, we're going to pick up an iPad mini when they come out.
    This is a 76 year old "NON TECHIE" guy we are talking about here. Everything you posted doesn't apply here.

There is nothing wrong with Android OS, particularly for someone who needs such a minimalist device. I assume this gentleman will likely just be reading and doing VERY basic internet functions (Facebook, email).

An ipad is overkill.

OP, there is also a larger Kindle Fire HD, similar to the size of the iPad.

For the money, the Kindle Fire and Google Nexus are the best VALUES.

Also, remember that Amazon has a very good return policy. If you try the Kindle, for instance, and it isn't working out, you can easily return it!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Kindle Fire info, Natalie. We have got DH texting and feel we've accomplished quite a bit.

I think I read something about pre-ordering a Kindle Fire and getting a nice price.

DizneyRox - from what you say, an iPad sounds like what my niece should get. Good to know.

And funny about the 4 yr old and the android. My grandniece gets on whatever word processing thing the desktop computer has and draws pictures complete with word balloons, which she fills in with text. Full color too. And then prints. My cousin flies all over the country training adults to operate the office software her company sells. Good thing she'll be retired by the time today's 4 and 8 yr olds are in the work place.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I have a toshiba, I like it. I have the Amazon and Barnes and Noble apps for ebooks as well as some travel and bird watching apps.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I have an iPad (1st generation, of which I'm unhappy with Apple about lack of iOS 6) and I use it every single day. The size, battery life, available apps, and usability are huge for me. My wife has a Kindle Fire, and while she loves it, I find it very difficult to use and not terribly well laid out. I'm admitting to bias though as I had my iPad long before I bought her the Kindle. I think the battery life on the Kindle is pretty low as compared to the iPad as well.

My 70YO mother has an iPad 2 and absolutely loves it. She uses FaceTime on it so she can see her grandkids when she talks to them (they live in KS, we live in TX), uses it for email, Facebook, books, all manner of things. She had a Kindle Fire as well, but didn't like it much at all. She ended up giving it to one of our children.

Yes, the iPad costs more than the Kindle. It is also larger, has larger availability of apps, and is more powerful. The Kindle Fire is smaller, less expensive, and less powerful. I will say that Amazon's service is phenomenal. My wife's Kindle Fire started having trouble with the charge port being really loose. I chatted with an Amazon rep on Saturday, her new one will be here on Tuesday, and we will send back the old one. No fees, no fuss. If something breaks on your iPad, you would probably have to either send it in or get an appointment at the Genius bar to have them service it.

Really, the deciding factor is what will the person use and what do you want to spend. In either case, you will get what you pay for.
    Nothing is impossible, it just hasn't been done yet!

CosmicRay's DH
    DVC Member since 2010 (Saratoga Springs)

Been there more times than I can count. Used to be close enough to watch the fireworks every night.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised to hear someone suggest that the Apple support you get is a reason to get an ipad. Has anyone been to an Apple store lately? You take a number and wait an eternity to have some kid with hardly any skills try to address your concern. It's the worst example of customer service I can fathom.

Amazon service on the other hand has been amazing in my experience. I think a Kindle is the way to go for this type of situation.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: