Quantcast "Disney" food items that you are surprised people actually spend money on? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I happen to like the Mickey Mouse rice crispy treats!
    Especially the ones you can make at Goofys Candy Company.
    I mostly use snack credits to get them but I do end up buying some at the end of our trip to take home. They freeze well and when I am feeling blue that I have a while before we go back to WDW I pull one out of the freezer and eat it!

I realize they are over priced and that I can make them at home, but when you only go to WDW once every 4 years you tend to splurge on things you wouldn't normally do.
    1984 - Off Property
    May 2002 - AKL
    May 2003 - DL - One day
    January 2006 - One day
    March 2006 - CSR
    March 2008 Swan/Dolphin
    December 2008 - CBR/AKL
    November 2012 - AoA Lion King
    March 15-22 2014 - Swan/Dolphin
    Nov 13-22 2014 AoA Cars

DVC Owners @ GF
    Up Next:
    Sept 4-12 Poly Villas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG! I can't believe that folks buy those Dole Whips.. Oh! WOW...

Just kidding stop and think about the cost of a bottle of water, soda, or even a can of beer.

If they would hold a gun on me I would feel better...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmjimmlm View Post
    I think that the powder candy tubes are insane...I can't believe the prices for a tube of candy (that always gets clogged and has to be thrown away)...I know my kids like them and I have bought them in the past but if I can talk them out of it in exchange for something else then I'm happy!
    I agree. This has my vote. Ive never understood the draw to this. I imagine an adult would just get a headache from it and kids would just become insanely hyper from some over priced colored sugar.
    First trip: 1999 AS Movies
    Stayed since at: AS Music, AS Sports, Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans FQ
    Next visit: October 15-22, 2016 [Port Orleans French Quarter]

"In dreams you will lose your heartache.."

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Never underestimate the power of something Mickey shaped.

I don't like the taste of the rice crispy treats either, but I somehow get strangely excited at the sight of them. The girls love them. None of us have ever been tempted to try a turkey leg. DH, DD8 and I always have to have a Mickey ice cream bar or two on our trip. DD12 usually goes for a popsicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    LOL! Never underestimate the power of something Mickey shaped.

I don't like the taste of the rice crispy treats either, but I somehow get strangely excited at the sight of them. The girls love them. None of us have ever been tempted to try a turkey leg. DH, DD8 and I always have to have a Mickey ice cream bar or two on our trip. DD12 usually goes for a popsicle.
    LOL!!!! Anything Mickey Shaped gets attention!
    I am going to be looking for the Mickey Shaped Soft Pretzel on my next trip!

I am sad to say I have never tried a Mickey ice cream bar.

I am sure my DS will also want one of those over priced double Mickey balloon too!
    1984 - Off Property
    May 2002 - AKL
    May 2003 - DL - One day
    January 2006 - One day
    March 2006 - CSR
    March 2008 Swan/Dolphin
    December 2008 - CBR/AKL
    November 2012 - AoA Lion King
    March 15-22 2014 - Swan/Dolphin
    Nov 13-22 2014 AoA Cars

DVC Owners @ GF
    Up Next:
    Sept 4-12 Poly Villas

Post Thanks / Like

After having been disappointed by it, I'd like to say Schoolbread, but I can still see the appeal.

One thing that I can't imagine buying is that "Pucker Powder". It's just weird to me that that stuff makes enough money to bother selling it. I'm sure they make it cheap, but I can't imagine too many people buying it. Go figure.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    After having been disappointed by it, I'd like to say Schoolbread, but I can still see the appeal.

One thing that I can't imagine buying is that "Pucker Powder". It's just weird to me that that stuff makes enough money to bother selling it. I'm sure they make it cheap, but I can't imagine too many people buying it. Go figure.
    I won't be trying the schoolbread after Melanie's description. Still can't get that vision out of my head. Even the mention of schoolbread now makes me ill

Now, pucker powder, I love than stuff. Loved it as a kid and still do. I actually bought one this summer that was 4 feet long. I know shameful at my age. Just made it look like it belonged to the kids. Sneaking some when people we not looking.

I would have a really hard time buying popcorn and water.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

How about a buffet? A lot of those buffets cost over $30, and some are close to $40. Back home, it costs maybe $12 bucks to eat at HomeTown or Sizzler or Golden Corral. But at Disney, 3 times more?!?!

Being on the free DDP helps me pull the trigger on these.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I'll agree with both the turkey legs and the ice cream bars. Don't see the appeal taste wise but can at least see getting the ice cream bars to cool down in the Florida heat. Turkey legs in the 90 degree weather I will never understand...
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I made a dumb mistake one day - forgot to grab desserts for lunch, so by the till they have pre-packaged Minnie Mouse choc.chip cookies - I grabbed two of those and two candy bars. The bars are a dumb value decision since they aren't "worth" much and I can get them at home...and I don't know WHY I grabbed pre-packaged (not very good cookies) when I was 10 feet away from some really nice fresh baked treats!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    How about a buffet? A lot of those buffets cost over $30, and some are close to $40. Back home, it costs maybe $12 bucks to eat at HomeTown or Sizzler or Golden Corral. But at Disney, 3 times more?!?!

Being on the free DDP helps me pull the trigger on these.
    I'm not a fan of buffets in general, but Disney's tend to be far better than the awful buffet chain places you mention, with the exception of a few, like Hollywood and Vine perhaps. A brunch buffet at a nice restaurant in my town goes for close to Disney prices. Not all buffets are created equal. Considering I haven't been to many at Disney lately, or the Golden Corral type places, it's hard for me to compare accurately-- but I want to think Disney's are better than that.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Here's another vote for the turkey legs. Let's face it, nobody really wants to eat those when they cook turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, so I have no idea why you'd want to buy one to eat while walking around in a theme park. They are just not that good.
    I have to admit one Thanksgiving in the World that was the closest thing we wanted that was associated with Thanksgiving!!
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post

Aw, I was so excited about getting to try schoolbread this trip! What was disappointing about it?

And yes... flavored sugar in a tube. As a kid, these were the coolest thing ever, but now I see why my parents always rolled their eyes when I asked for them. Now I don't quite see the point!

And the power of the shape should never be underestimated! Our trip is in 9 days and I have been bombarding DBF with pictures of "hidden mickeys" that I've seen around my home. Heh, that shape just gets you sometimes...
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say the only thing that appeals to my kids that I don't let them get is those big suckers that usually get thrown away when they get tired of them. I don't remember if I've seen cotton candy there - but that's another one. I just can't see my kids even liking it (I am pretty sure they have tried it).

Gotta let them get the Mickey ice cream bars and ice cream sandwiches. While they are expensive, we ARE at Disney and I try to let everyone in our family splurge a little bit! After all, Disney in itself is a splurge!

No one in my family has ever even asked for a turkey leg. Not sure I'd let them get it if they did - maybe for a meal if they really wanted it!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

Post Thanks / Like

Not to disparage any choices - I'm sure I make choices while on vacation that others would certainly shake their heads over but...

Turkey legs are the first thing that come to mind for me.
    Maine lobster (I'm from New England and just could not see myself ordering a Maine lobster in Florida at the prices charged there)

As far as the Mickey head bars...I don't buy them because they are Mickey heads - I buy them because they are chocolate covered ice cream - a treat I grew up loving and which I have not purchased at home for years. They are truly a vacation treat (indulgence) for me.

Perhaps the items I listed above fall into the same category for others?

I barely notice some of the other items folks have mentioned in this thread - typically just pass them by without thinking about them one way or the other.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Water.

I know many will say it has an odd flavor, but I guess I lucked out growing up in FL. Every time I order a cup of ice water from a CS restaurant, I think about how much I'm NOT spending on bottled water.

I'm a sucker for the rice crispy treats. I didn't have one till recently and LOVE the flavor. And now they have a bag of 8 ball shaped treats. Mmmm, good!

Another thing I used to buy but won't anymore is the cotton candy. It's so readily available and cheaper, locally, so I can't bring myself to do it.

I probably shouldn't waste money on the caramel popcorn in the bags. However, I just can't help myself.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Just a personal observation, but I don't remember some of the above mentioned things costing so much before the 'popularity' of the dining plan. I think these things have been hiked to remove them from the snack category, and making them weirdly outrageous in price.

Just my thoughts though . . . .

And turkey legs scare me ~ no turkey I have ever seen has legs that big!! How BIG are the birds?
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnfr2424 View Post
    I have to admit one Thanksgiving in the World that was the closest thing we wanted that was associated with Thanksgiving!!
    That was us one year too... and it garnered me a huge health scare! According to my doc, whatever they do to smoke them causes a huge hit against your liver. Who knew? I won't be buying them again (though we do love our oven-roasted turkey legs here at home).
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDawgette View Post
    Aw, I was so excited about getting to try schoolbread this trip! What was disappointing about it?
    I love coconut and the creme filling, but the "bread" was a rather dry soda bread, making even a scone seem moist by comparison. I just happen to prefer moist, cake-y pastries. You may wish to give it a chance to judge for yourself.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    And turkey legs scare me ~ no turkey I have ever seen has legs that big!! How BIG are the birds?
    Urban legend has it they are really Emu.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: