Quantcast Is it worth going to DTD? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure it's worth it, it's free.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's worth the trip just for earl of sandwhich
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Cool DTD - yes

We plan a stop at DTD as part of our trip. We also enjoyed the AC...Kongalush!

Now we still enjoy an evening meal at Rainforest Cafe'...We love the Adventure. Last year and our last free CS was at Wolfgang Pucks EXPRESS on our check-out day. One of the best we ate. Right up there with The Pepper Market.

We enjoy a FREE night time stroll around "The Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village", YES I'm dating myself.

We usually have a free day anyway!

40 DAYS.
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Sure it's worth it, it's free.
    How did that work out for Pleasure Island?

Post Thanks / Like

We always go on our last day, starting with a nice breakfast and then busing it to DTD. I have found there is less to buy than in previous years. Not enough unique, WDW-only items, IMHO.

DTD is nice if you stay at POFQ or Riverside because it gives you options for eating someplace besides the resorts.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

We don't go to the parks as much anymore, so we love visiting DTD. Wolfgang Puck Express is one of our favorite lunch spots, my wife loves the Christmas shop, and I enjoy shopping at Team Disney.
    We just like to walk around, relax, and people watch. There's also a store that sells stuff for $10 or less and we like stopping by there.
    The only downside is parking. It can be a real battle to find a parking spot at certain times of the year, especially at night.

Post Thanks / Like

Since they closed Pleasure Island there really isn't much to do there anymore. We usually get a sitter and hit the resort bar/restaurant instead. It used to be much more of a destination and its more of like a mall now. We live in a really urban area so that isn't really a draw for us. We would rather see a show, cabaret, go to a dance hall (boardwalk), etc. There are two pretty awesome restaurants there, but that's about it. We do really enjoy Disney Quest - it's pretty awesome.
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

We always have non park days so we like to hit DTD for lunch at HOB or Earl of Sandwich.

I really like Pin Traders because of the ginormous selection and World of Disney has a pretty awesome selection of EVERYTHING!!
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoy it. We especially love the Christmas Shop, Goofy's Candy Store, the Disney Store and Team Mickey. We will go to Earl of Sandwich for a bite (sometimes we take it home for later) and maybe Ghiradelli's for a sweet treat or a sample. Or pick up a Wetzel's Pretzel and enjoy the lovely waterfront.

It is fun to walk around the lake. Check out the Disney Lego characters and people watch. It's a healthy stretch of the legs.
    Becca
    DVC Member since 1992 (OKW)

Post Thanks / Like

We try to go once during each trip - usually on the day we visit Animal Kingdom. We know we will be wrapping up our day by mid-afternoon, so I will book one of the restaurants for early dinner and then we just wander through WOD, Christmas and some of the other shops. Last trip, there was a rock band performing on the lake stage, so my duaghters watched that while my son and I went to the Lego store and my wife shopped. We usually try to hit Ghihardelli's, but this past trip we were too full from dinner at Portobella!

I think it is a nice little diversion for a longer trip, but if time is limited, I would not do it.

One highlight from our previous trip was that we took the boat from PORS instead of the bus - it was very enjoyable.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

We went alot the last trip when we stayed at POFQ because of the boat, honestly I don't care anything at all for DTD, I dont like the mobs of people and all the girls dressed like hookers..We used to go at least once a trip for the D-street (Vinylmation store) but they never have any good vinyls, all the workers in there are snooty it seems. Last trip I'm glad we went because I found a super awesome Darth Vader shirt there but otherwise the whole experience there is meh at best. I get what others have said about buying all souvies at once which def makes sense esp if you mail stuff home but to us its a time waster if parks have early close times or something like that.
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy it, always make a couple of trips (not entire days, just an hour or two, or for lunch/dinner).

That being said, I wouldn't schedule time there at the expense of park time. But after so many trips, sometimes a park isn't an all day event for me and I like to break it up or do something different.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I go because I like to get spit on by Stitch! Oh, and vinyl trade, And pretzel wrapped hot dogs. And a sandwich by Earl. And ice coffee from Ghirardelli. And a rum runner while sitting on the dock. And a jack and coke at the cigar bar. And of course to smell the Xmas store.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    ... I dont like the mobs of people and all the girls dressed like hookers..
    I must have missed that part of the tour...

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I like DTD.
    Love the shops that have unique clothes.. I can even buy the Desigual line with Minnie mouse! (that might mean something to someone) Design your own ears, Lego, Christmas Store.. etc. We even stop to listen to the School bands performing.

We also go there just to eat, but we are at that stage where the parks are not all we do. Wofgang Pucks, Earl of Sandwich (love the Holiday sandwich), Portobello, Raglan Road and even the new Splitsville all have very good food. There are more worth mentioning but I'd keep typing.. With the dining plan I can never get a sit down meal in the parks, on a whim, but I can here. I like to stay at PO for the boat transportation or stay in a DTD resort and walk over for breakfast each day.

Interestingly enough, we were just in DTD the evening of Dec 26th (no park ticket) to have a night cap before leaving Florida and it was insanely busy!! Couldn't move. Not staying at a Disney resort this particular night, we hopped a boat over to PO French Quarter and had a drink at their pool bar which was deserted. Great way to end the trip.. a boat ride and a Disney drink.

Kungaloosh!
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillydan View Post
    I must have missed that part of the tour...

I don't know what it is if I'm just old, antisocial or people just don't dress like they do there where I'm from but the girls had on clothes I would expect in a strip club (like super short and alot of animal print lol) then the mobs of locals were like "club aged" people, like dance club people? Dressed all modern like? I hate that I'm saying this at 25 lol but I duno huge crowds in the parks don't get to me because I know they have disney security everywhere and they had to get thru check points but down there I got really uncomfortable at night sometimes when the crowds were bad. I just don't ever really like DTD its nothing personal I like the idea but I just like the parks better for the shopping and the wanderings I guess.
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

We don't get to go very often, but when we do, I like to stop by DTD at least once during the trip. I liked it better when PI was still around...I used to love going to the comedy show...but I still enjoy it.

Going to DTD isn't something I would give up park time for, or something I would spend a whole day on, but I like to try to plan a day out of the parks to "rest" up a bit. Maybe hit a water park for a bit or hang out at the pool and then spend the afternoon at DTD. I love wandering through World of Disney, picking up some bath stuff at Basin, shopping at the kitchen store and checking out the Christmas shoppe. Plus my husband still loves Legos...I think he'd be disappointed if we didn't make a stop at the Lego store. :-)

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

I make time to go at least for a few hours every trip. I love to window shop there. I also try to have dinner at DTD. Fell in love with Bongos on my last trip so now its a must. Its also a must to get a frozen strawberry margarita and sit by the lake to relax
    April 6-9 2006 Pop Century
    July 5-11 2007 Pop Century
    September 20-25th 2009 Pop Century
    June10-June 16 2012 Pop Century
    September 5-15 2013 Pop Century Disneymoon
    August 10-20th 2016 Pop Century (Daughter's first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    How did that work out for Pleasure Island?
    yea not so good
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

i do go there at least once or twice, cruise thru the stores and eat at RR or someplace
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM