Quantcast Real Merida vs. homogenized, sexy version

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Real Merida vs. homogenized, sexy version

Wonder if anyone has been paying attention to outcry against the new, sexy, homogenous version of Merida and Disney's apparent change of heart? I was dissappointed to see Merida who was such a fun, rebellious tomboy sort of princess suddenly turn into a girly, sparkly, slanty eyed seductress. I really loved the movie and felt they sort of stole her soul with the re-do. Then, I read that today, Disney has pulled the 2D image of Merida from its website, replacing it with the original Pixar version.

I am really happy about that! Yay, Disney!!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

ALL the princesses (for merchandising purposes) have a ridiculous "look" IMO. However, I feel like there is too much emphasis on how much of a role model these princesses are. I mean, I just don't think they play THAT big of a role in a girl's development of identity and self as people claim they do. I grew up with Disney Princesses, Barbies, Gem, and a whole host of "characters", none of which has had any sort of impact on who I am today. I think parents these days are a bit obsessed with trying to find fault where it doesn't exist.

The whole thing is ridiculous, in my opinion. MOST of these Disney females were VERY young in their movies, but they are obviously not going to be played by 16 year olds in the parks, so I can understand needing to create a more "mature" look for merchandising purposes to sort of match the "reality" of the face characters. I don't think it's realistic to cast Merida as a face character as she appears in the movie.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Natalie...they are all too glammed up for my taste.

I also think that sometimes we get too worked up about some of this stuff. I think our job as adults is to show kids that role models come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Sure my 3 year old niece loves Rapunzel, but we talk about how she's just something fun, then we go create adventures of our own. It's my job as Auntie to make sure she knows that no matter what she sees in the mirror, she's a smart, special girl.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to agree with the women above. Sure she's dolled up but mommy blogs get too worked up about this stuff. I grew up adoring disney princesses (I still do). I know most disney movies by heart. I played with barbies and american girl dolls for hours. I can remember pretending to be Ariel in the bathtub and dancing in my belle tutu.

Today I'm a PhD student in biology and a self described feminist who kept her last name when she got married. Playing with princesses doesn't turn girls into simpering damsels in distress who spend their lives waiting for prince charming.

Human pixar characters are hard to turn into real people. Personally I think the girl they had playing her for the coronation did a great job of keeping that cheeky irish look. And I don't fault disney for turning her into an image that sells. It is after all a business and most kids wouldn't want to play with her if she wasn't "pretty."
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that people get too worked up over image sometimes. But, from a story point of view, the glamming up of Merida just does not fit with her character at all. Cinderella would wear sparkles. Go down the list of characters and think how the image is in keeping with who they are as characters. Mulan and Pocahontas are about the only other exceptions and they didn't get overly done in presentation.

The Merida redo was a far stretch from what the character would have tolerated. But only in the artwork. The princess in the park is pretty much the same as the original vision, perhaps a little more mature-- the dress isn't sparkly or low cut as it was in the new artwork. So why change the artwork image to that extent? It was unnecessary. The change back to be more in keeping with the original image makes sense. They just went a little too far from character with the art. And now it's fixed.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    The change back to be more in keeping with the original image makes sense. They just went a little too far from character with the art. And now it's fixed.
    Did they decide to keep her remaining 2D and with a hand-animated "look"? Or did they just slap the 3D Pixar model back on? I hope it is still going to be a 2D character... you have to generate these C.G.I. characters into 2D in order for them to fit in the same "world" as the other princesses. But I agree, they should keep ALL of them looking as they did in the films. They're already all beautiful... why go after the super-model look?
    We all have sparks, imaginations.
    That's how our minds, create creations.
    For they make, our wildest dreams come true.
    Those magic sparks, in me and you. șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Connoisseur View Post
    Did they decide to keep her remaining 2D and with a hand-animated "look"? Or did they just slap the 3D Pixar model back on? I hope it is still going to be a 2D character... you have to generate these C.G.I. characters into 2D in order for them to fit in the same "world" as the other princesses. But I agree, they should keep ALL of them looking as they did in the films. They're already all beautiful... why go after the super-model look?
    Oh, that I don't know. But good point.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I think making Merida an official Disney Princess was jumping the gun. I mean, give the darn movie some time to become a classic, at least. Make sure she has staying power.

Ditto Rapunzel...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

The whole "crowning a Disney princess" is weird anyway. They're Disney movies, the characters are princesses, so, hello, doesn't that make them Disney princesses?

Do they have a ceremony for "officially" recognizing a Disney villain?

I know this is a branding thing, I just think it's a little cynical.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    The whole "crowning a Disney princess" is weird anyway. They're Disney movies, the characters are princesses, so, hello, doesn't that make them Disney princesses?

Do they have a ceremony for "officially" recognizing a Disney villain?

I know this is a branding thing, I just think it's a little cynical.
    I know, right! It's so weird.

I feel like I "get it" when they did it with Tiana. She was the first, right? It kind of made sense with her, because in the movie, she is NOT a princess. She's just a regular person. I get that they wanted to make her like an honorary princess, so the "ceremony" of it made sense. But Merida was an actual princess in the film, right? So, why does she need to be coronated?
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Proof that Disney will listen to bad publicity.. Now, if only the outcry of watering, Walmarting, and dumbing down WDW were as loud as this outcry was:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Disne...cry-37551.html
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I think the entire thing is blatantly silly.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think the entire thing is blatantly silly.
    Of course it is.

But it's not like mommy blogs shouting "won't someone think of the children" on "the internets" is anything new. They'll be on about something else next week. Nothing to see here. Move along.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing is silly?

Hmm... really everything about Disney is "silly." Right? Fairies and crickets and princesses and stuffed bears and giant mice with pet dogs?

But this silly stuff enters our childrens' imagination. I LOVE WDW, but WD has the opportunity to use their magic in powerful, wonderful ways. Like letting little girls know that they don't have to have tiny tiny waists and big caucasian eyes and sexy sparkly qualities to be awesome. They can be strong individuals. Spunky and rebellious. I doubt men would stand for the same treatment if Woody suddenly became a svelte debonair ladies man and Pooh suddenly had a come hither twinkle. Yes, it's a business and it makes its money from a lot of moms and their kids. Businesses are wise to consider the best interests of their young audiences.

I am proud that Disney realized its error and reclaimed the original Merida. Disney has a wonderful opportunity to send a positive message to girls that it is their character and not their bra size that gives them their lustre. I don't mind the pixie dust sparkle so long as their true characters shine brighter.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    The whole thing is silly?
    I think so. "The whole thing" being the outcry and hype over ONE image that ended up being leaked when it shouldn't have been. One depiction of Merida meant for limited use, on the media invitation for her Coronation Ceremony, and for one line of merchandise for Wal-Mart, where all the rest of the princesses looked equally weird and creepy, IMO.

This image was never meant to be the final way that Merida was going to be portrayed but people jumped all over it and started the outcry.

I feel really badly for companies these days the way social media can turn things into something they are not. It goes so far that people automatically believe what they read without further inquiry, and it blows up out of proportion.

Some people think Disney is "backtracking", but I really don't think so. Their explanation makes total sense to me, and doesn't smack of we messed up so we are trying to cover ourselves. It's pretty obvious that Disney doesn't just listen to negative publicity all the time and make changes because people call them out. What would make this situation so different that they would immediately jump into action and make up an elaborate story to explain themselves away? Sometimes the truth is hard for people to accept when they are looking for a sensational story instead.
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: