As a nurse, I witness some of the worst experiences in people's lives. We had a patient who become unresponsive, but was still breathing. Her elderly husband was there and was just heartbroken. There are very few worse things than watching someone suffer so badly for their ill/dying loved one. I am not married, but I do have a boyfriend (we plan to get married). I cannot imagine if that were me watching him, so helpless. You have now idea how often I come home and hug him tight because I witness the fragility of life almost every day.

So sorry to hear about your friends' loss, as well as your loss of a friend. I know that she really appreciates your husband's presence during that horrible moment in her life. Your husband also has suffered and witnessed something that is very tragic and devastating, so he is probably grieving in a completely different way than anyone else.

Remember to tell your loved ones that you love them before going anywhere. Don't be apart when you're mad. You never know what moment will be your last.