Quantcast Downton Abbey - Season 3 - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes, I imagine the grand end of Downton Abbey will be Mary and Edith old and alone in the house with one or two servants hanging on and a bunch of cats.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Sometimes, I imagine the grand end of Downton Abbey will be Mary and Edith old and alone in the house with one or two servants hanging on and a bunch of cats.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

I could totally see that, Sherri.

Overall all I thought the episode was beautifully done and the acting was wonderful. I agree that Sybil , Branson and Cora were great and I loved seeing a different side of Thomas. The Dowager was fantastic as well.

But (and I am not just saying this because I don't like what they did) I think the story is starting to suffer a little. The Bates story line has gone on way too long. The Ethel story line really is dragging for me too.

And I think although the episode was very moving, Jullian Fellows is starting to go to that well too often. It seems to be his solution to a whole lot of storylines.

Some characters are becoming caricatures of themselves. Little by little they are taking all the good out of the Earl. The first season I really liked the idea that he loved his wife and children and could accept a middle class heir. I had mentioned a few episodes ago that it seemed like they were changing him to be unlikable. It seems like they are trying to put all the possible bad traits of an aristocrat in him.

I have liked more of the down stairs story lines than the upstairs. Hopefully that will change because right now Maggie Smith is the main highlight of upstairs for me.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

The Dowager, oh what a hoot. Amidst all the conflict of what to do, she throws out the "The decision lies with the chauffeur" line. I laughed out loud.

This episode was just heartbreaking. Besides the obvious Cora and Branson portrayals, I think more than anything in the death scene, I was touched by Matthew just clenching that bedpost as hard as he could, and also Edith's expressions of helplessness. Everyone did a really good job in that scene.

I'm glad Cora is angry with Robert, and hope it's not a quick forgiving. Man, what a pompous you know what. And Mary is the female version of Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a scary enough time for childbearing, but after watching Sybil... do you think Mary will let Matthew touch her again?
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Sybil's death was one of the big spoilers I had stumbled upon, but even so, I did not imagine it to be as heart wrenching as it was. I think the hardest part for me was knowing that my Grandmother died in the same way shortly after she gave birth to my mother. That was in 1950. I also know of two people (Not personally but through others) who have died due to eclampsia in recent years, surprisingly. How dreadful. I was sobbing.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I was so sad over the last episode, I can't believe they would do that. But, after Sybil moved to Ireland we didnt see much of her anyway. And I guess death during childbirth was a more common thing back then.

The death scene was very Emmy worthy. Everybody acted it out very well and got the heartbreak across. I was shocked that their were 2 doctors in the room and neither ran to her, they both just stood there saying there is nothing they can do. Even if that were true, it just seems weird that they both just stood there.

I'm glad Cora is taking her stance on how upset she is. A titled doctor doesnt always know more and his unwillingness to budge just proves how high and mighty he thinks he is. At least he knows he was in the wrong.
    șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    I'm so sad. That scene was incredibly intense and the acting was extraordinary, especially by Sybil, Branson, and Cora. I could pick up on some of the foreshadowing so was kind of expecting something terrible to happen but that was not how I thought it would go down.

Sybil's death was spoiled for me a couple of times (by the Internet search I referred to above, and by a well-meaning "friend" who didn't realize I hadn't seen the episode yet ). But even though I knew they were going down that road, I still hoped for a last-minute turn. Even after she DIED, I thought that maybe when they were telling everyone downstairs that someone would come racing down and announce that she miraculously recovered. Now there's no one to temper Mary and Edith's relationship.

Will they go forward with Branson raising his daughter in the house? (No, don't tell me, please.)

I also appreciated seeing Thomas' emotion. I''d like to see something like that in O'Brien.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I also appreciated seeing Thomas' emotion. I''d like to see something like that in O'Brien.
    We have seen some regret from O'Brien in the past, with her actions when Cora was expecting, but she seems back to her hardcore wicked ways. I think she might be about to do more harm then good in this season. Time will tell.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

We have seen some regret from O'Brien in the past, with her actions when Cora was expecting, but she seems back to her hardcore wicked ways. I think she might be about to do more harm then good in this season. Time will tell.
    Oh yes, I forgot about that!

What I'd like to see is a man crossing her way and see what they do with it. Or have her and Mrs. Patmore get inadvertently drunk together because of too much sherry Daisy "accidentally" puts into a special dish.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Oh yes, I forgot about that!

What I'd like to see is a man crossing her way and see what they do with it. Or have her and Mrs. Patmore get inadvertently drunk together because of too much sherry Daisy "accidentally" puts into a special dish.
    This could be fun. And I meant more harm than good, not then. Please pardon my grammar mistake! Typing fast (I hate when that happens).
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a scary enough time for childbearing, but after watching Sybil... do you think Mary will let Matthew touch her again?
    Oh absolutely. She has to produce an heir for the estate and you know she values Downton above all else.

Quote Originally Posted by bleukarma View Post
    The death scene was very Emmy worthy. Everybody acted it out very well and got the heartbreak across. I was shocked that their were 2 doctors in the room and neither ran to her, they both just stood there saying there is nothing they can do. Even if that were true, it just seems weird that they both just stood there.
    I knew of this particular spoiler but not how it was going to happen. I thought the scene was touching and perplexing at the same time. Yes, why did both doctors just stand there and ruminate on what was going on instead of doing something, anything? And I found it unlikely that all those people would be in the room with Sybil--back then I imagine it would have been considered a "delicate situation" to have more than the doctor and perhaps the immediate female relatives present with the mother after the birth. In any case, it was a heart-breaking situation. If they had taken her blood pressure before or during labor and saw that it was elevated and/or done the c-section it may have saved her--or not.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the doctors' silence and inaction was to emphasize that they were in shock but also knew there was nothing to be done. For Dr. Clarkson there is probably deep regret and sorrow, whereas for Sir Prissypants or whatever his name is, he is shocked but also this is his profession and frankly he may not care that much. My grandfather told the story of how he was informed of his wife's death the day after she had given birth to my mom. The doctor brought him into his office, was smoking a cigar, and said something casual to the effect of "These things happen..." Of course my grandfather wanted to punch him out. But he wasn't there to witness the tragic event. He had already been sent home. I guess during a home birth, everyone is a;ready in the house and it's probably harder to control than at a hospital or clinic.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked last nights show- looking forward to next week! I guess I was just so shocked the week before it took all the fun out of it.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I liked last night's episode too. The ladies of Downton showed some backbone!

One thing that I find a bit disconcerting about each episode is that the passage of time is so inconsistent. One show may jump months, or even years, ahead and the the next one (like last night) will just mark the passage of a few days. With only eight shows in each series, I understand why they do this. But it makes aging the characters a bit unbelievable at times. It's as though the Grantham daughters (and the Dowager Countess) are in a perpetual time wharp where they never seem to physically age (especially as the daughters were apparently teenagers or close to it at the start of the first season).
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Matthew should fix up the shabby part of Downton for Tom and little Sybil. That way Tom will feel independent, but still at Downton.

Daisy running a farm? I'm glad to see that she is getting an opportunity. And even though she has been very snippy lately, I'm happy to see her speak up more.

Looks like we may be getting to the age of woman actually having a say. But I really am surprised that the Dowager didnt leave the table. Times are changing!
    șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

It was a sweet thing for Violet to talk to the doctor and try to fix things between Cora and Robert. I think I cried more when they embraced after speaking with the doctor than I did at the death scene. Also good to see Edith and Mary still getting along. And finally, lets get Bates home. But the season is almost over! Too short!
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Let's hear it for the girls, both upstairs and down. It's nice seeing them realize they do have a voice.
    BTW, did any of you see the Muppets bit "Upside Downton Abbey"? Pretty funny.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    Let's hear it for the girls, both upstairs and down. It's nice seeing them realize they do have a voice.
    BTW, did any of you see the Muppets bit "Upside Downton Abbey"? Pretty funny.
    Girl Power! I'm really excited to see all this Bates business put to rest (hope I didn't just jinx something).

I did see the Upside Downton Abbey and linked it on my Facebook page. Too cute! And didn't that puppet look just like Carson! I love Sesame St. parodies. Has anyone seen Birdwalk Empire? Hilarious!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    And didn't that puppet look just like Carson!
    Yes, mum!

I haven't seen the previews (my PBS station doesn't show them ), but I heard it showed Bates returning to Downton. Thank goodness! ugh

Loved this episode, a lot! Like I saw said somewhere else, it's like Sybil's death made them all come alive.

Can't believe there are only 2 left.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: