Quantcast DVC rental?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: DVC rental?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC rental?

Has anyone rented DVC points before? How does it work? What has been your experience?

I've been looking at the DVC rental sites and it looks like we could get a MK view at BLT for less than half the cost of a room at rack rate at CR. It looks like a nicer room too. Does that sound right? If we were to do this would it be just like a normal reservation? What, if any, are the differences?

Thanks for the help.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't rented DVC before, and I'm looking into it as well, but i had better luck getting a question answered on the DVC board... they also have a lot of sticky's answering FAQ's
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the room type and season you're looking at, it is be possible to save by renting at BLT rather than staying at CR.

You can either rent through a person or through a company such as our sponsor The TImeshare Store. Most private rentals run about $10/point while companies charge $12/$13 depending on which you use. You can find out how many points you need by checking here.

Check out this post on renting, you'll find some good info.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I have done this twice in the past. It does get to be a pain though if you are trying to get a lower cost per point. Here is what I have run into:

1. To get where you want, the reservation needs to be done well in advance. I am not sure of the when someone can rent at their home resort, but that is the best way. Going so far in advance, you will be paying $12-$13 per point.

2. To get a rental at any DVC at about $8-$10 a point, it is so late you get stuck at Old Key West or Saratoga springs.

It can be done and it is best to work through reputable people. If you are getting a studio, it is nothing like a regular room else where. The 2nd bed is a pullout sofa that is less comfortable than the bathtub.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a few friends that do this, and I've looking into it multiple times. The only thing that keeps me from booking is that we'd be getting a studio and it has a pullout couch instead of a second bed. I'm not sure my back could handle that for 8 nights!

Couple things to think of:

Mousekeeping only comes every 4th day, they don't come every day like a regular room. The reservation will be in your name but made by the actual DVC member. From what I understand on a few sites, there are no refunds. You cannot purchase a whole package, but you can add dining.

Good luck!

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

Post Thanks / Like

We've done it the past several vacations. Basically you get to stay in a deluxe resort for the price of a moderate.

We are staying at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge in March for about $100 more than POR for the week, and about $1,200 less than the main Wilderness Lodge rooms.

A couple of negatives. 1 - no housekeeping. If you stay a week, they will change your towels and empty your trash one day in the middle. 2- depending on the owner you rent from, canceling can be difficult or expensive.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

We've done this too at Old Key West and Wilderness Lodge... The room at OKW was huge and WL was great as well! Mousekeeping doesn't come every day, but it was super easy to throw towels in the washer and dryer when we needed to. And... with the washer and dryer, we didn't need to bring as many clothes.
    '74/Dec 97/Dec 98/Jul99/FW/Jul00 POFQ/Jun 01Poly/Jul02WL/Dec02 Swan/Jul03 Poly /Oct. 03CBR/Jun04 POFQ/Oct04 POFQ&POP/Apr05 POP/Oct05 POR/Apr06Swan/Aug06WL/Apr 07 POFQ /Jul07 ASSports /Jan&Jul08 FWcab/Jul 09 POP/Nov09 CSR/May10RS/Jul Oct10 FWcab/July11OKW/Nov11AKL/Dec12 POP/Jul12 WL/DecJan13 FWcab

Post Thanks / Like

We have done this for the past 3 trips now and are renting again for the next 2 trips in 2013. We have a great relationship with the couple we rent from so as long as we do our homework, know WHEN we want to go & WHERE we prefer to stay well in advance, it is a simple transaction for us. They also set up ME for us. So it's a "no-brainer" for us to stay in a deluxe resort with all the amenities at such a savings! Wouldn't want to do it any other way now.
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

I see that you stayed in the BCV - I was going to rent from a DVC owner to stay there, but didn't want to sleep on a pull out my entire trip. Did you have to do this? Was it worth the money?

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: