Quantcast Driving to WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving to WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving to WDW

This Saturday my family and I are driving from NJ. Just for peace of mind are there any states to be careful (speed traps) and is gas readily available all the way down? Thanks
    wolfhog

past trips:
    once or twice a year
    since 83 on
    & off (shame on me - I know)
    property

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done the drive in quite a number of years but know that we did not have any difficulties in locating gas stations.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Gas stations are easy all the way down. The issue with speed traps is a personal issue. Many states love travelers because they just pay the speeding fine because it is too much of a pain to fight in court. As a rule, I never travel 10+ over the limit unless I am in a line of cars. Never been pulled over for 9 or less. It is the old adage police officers use: Over 9 your mine!
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Gas stations are easy, I-95 is pretty travel friendly. Fill up in VA before hitting NC (prices are much lower there).

VA turnpike cops are pretty notorious (this is coming from a cops wife) so watch yourself there.

I've done the drive from NJ to WDW over 18 times, it really isn't bad. Our personal favorite stopping point is Pooler GA. Its a push the first day but smooth sailing into WDW on day 2.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

To add to What Dulcee said ....also wait if you can to fill-up in SC, lower gas tax and pump prices than ours in NC! we appreciate your $$$, but save it for Disney!
    One other suggestion I always give...When you get off I-95 onto I-4 to AVOID ORLANDO TRAFFIC, Exit onto Toll Road S.R. 417 in Sanford, FL. Cost is $6.10 + - but well worth it. S.R. 417 takes you right to the EXITS to Walt Disney World and by-passes all the crazy I-4 stop & go traffic!

12 Days....
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the input, we usually fly but my nephew's wife is terrified of that and train travel, oh well. Hope everyone's Christmas Holidays are great.
    wolfhog

past trips:
    once or twice a year
    since 83 on
    property

Post Thanks / Like

Wolf, while VA cops get the rap, Maryland State Troopers are the sneakiest... They really pull out all the stops in their speed traps... VA does not allow radar detectors to be used and they actually do patrol from the sky...

I drive from NJ if I don't take Amtrak... I usually fill up in Virginia and then not again until South Carolina, as long as I can push it that far... Believe everyone who says gas stations are plenty on 95, cause, they are...

Are you driving straight through?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we are driving straight through. Hope to leave no later than 7am.
    wolfhog

past trips:
    once or twice a year
    since 83 on
    property

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

No advice for the drive other than safe travels and have a great vacation!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhog View Post
    Yes we are driving straight through. Hope to leave no later than 7am.
    Have a safe drive... Straight through is not something I ever did... I always stopped over night... But then again, I always did all the driving... My friend never drive one mile...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

When we drive straight through we like to leave between 1 and 3 in the morning, but maybe that's just us. We always find that right after the state line into Georgia the police are looking for lots of targets. Enjoy the roadtrip, we always feel like it's part of the vacation!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by January-2007 View Post
    When we drive straight through we like to leave between 1 and 3 in the morning, but maybe that's just us. We always find that right after the state line into Georgia the police are looking for lots of targets. Enjoy the roadtrip, we always feel like it's part of the vacation!
    We drive straight through as well and have found leaving between 1AM and 3AM works best for us too. You arrive in WDW around 8PM-9PM, and can get a good nights rest to be fresh for your first day.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

The one time we drove straight through we also left by 1 am or so. 7 am you're setting yourself up for a rough, rough night at the end of the drive and heavy traffic on the NJ turnpike.

If you've got the time and can split the ride in two days I'd stop. We seriously regretted the decision to drive straight through. I'd even seriously consider getting on the road after work on friday, driving til 11 at night or so and then stopping. It would again, make your life far easier the next morning.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

When you're getting low on gas, resist the lure of the stations closest to the interstate. Their prices are usually artificially high. Take an exit that leads to a city/town and drive a few miles in that direction. You'll usually find the price is appreciably lower.

Before we moved south, we made the drive from MD many times, several times driving straight through. On the occasions when we stopped overnight, we usually did so around Savannah.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify I should tell you that 5am is the time I've told my nephew - knowing them I hope to leave no later than 7am. Thanks again for the input and you and your families have a Merry Christmas.
    wolfhog

past trips:
    once or twice a year
    since 83 on
    property

Post Thanks / Like

Take it from someone who has been in the car as the driver was pulled over THREE DIFFERENT TIMES... VALDOSTA, GA and TIFTON, GA are covered in cops when we go. SLOW DOWN! They'll get'cha!

We drive from Atlanta, so that's the only speed trap we ever see. Everyone that drives in Atlanta is a little crazy, so we tend to not notice it too much.

Have a safe trip!
    Last edited by DisneyDawgette; 11-28-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Subject/Verb Agreement... Haha!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I use the gas buddy app. If you have a smart phone it is great. And free.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to thank everyone for their input. In the next couple of days I'll be posting a trip report about our experience.
    wolfhog

past trips:
    once or twice a year
    since 83 on
    property

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    I use the gas buddy app. If you have a smart phone it is great. And free.
    I agree. We just drove straight through from NJ as well in Nov and it came in handy to find the cheapest prices.

Also keep in mind that rush hour traffic around DC is horrible. If you're coming from North Jersey you should miss it leaving at 7 but if you do leave at 5 you'll catch the tail end of it.

We left later in the day so we went through most of the southern states at night. We didn't see any patrol cars or speed traps until the am hours in GA, so I can't really give much input. What everyone else has said already is pretty much on point though.

Enjoy your trip.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I drove from NYC to WDW 9/09, 9/10, and 9/12. I am the only driver and I have health issues, so we take 2 /2 days to travel. I also try to arrive in the WDW areaq a day early just in case we have any delays. Then we will stay off property in a small mom and pop type of motel for that one night. When leaving home we have a cooler for sandwiches and drinks on the road. Other than overnighting, our only stops are potty breaks and gas.
    We have never been pulled over for any reason, and have not had any major traffic problems.
    Enjoy your trip.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: