Quantcast 1976 in the Magic Kingdom

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1976 in the Magic Kingdom

Just thought I would share this with the only people in the world who would care at all.

My earliest memory as a child was when I was three years old. It was actually my fourth trip to WDW although I have no memory at all of the previous trips. My earliest memory was 1976 and I actually remember several things about that trip. It was special because it was the only vacation I ever took with my paternal Grandparents. I remember the flight to Orlando with my Grandfather. I remember running down the little hill at the Polynesian where we stayed. I remember sitting in the Great Ceremonial house at check-in with those blue and seafoam green tile floors. I remember riding 20,000 leagues because my grandparent's took my little brother back to the room so that my parent's could ride with me.....ANYWAY I was looking through some of my Grandparent's old papers recently (they are both no longer living) and I ran across the brochures my Grandfather received at check-in. I have enjoyed reading them very much and wanted to share some of the info in them.

For instance: The price for one day entry with 8 attraction tickets was $7.25 per adult and $6.25 per child. A two day 18 ticket admission including a cruise to Treasure Island and admission was only $18.25 per adult and $15.25 per child.

Other things were very inexpensive as well. River Country waterpark was $3.50 per adult and $2.50 per child. Pretty good for a day at the "ole swimmin hole".

I will be posting some other info I found interesting shortly.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the shops on Mainstreet USA very interesting in 1976. There were many shops and some were pretty funny. Do you remember "The Greenhouse"? It was a florist on Mainstreet USA that specialized in corsages! Thats right, many people "dressed up" and the photos in the brochures are all of people in their Sunday best. Many of the ladies were apparently bought corsages by their husbands. My wife would die if they did that now.

How bout the shop the "Tobbaconist" which sold fine cigars, tobacco, cigarettes, pipes and accessories. How politically correct would that be today?

I remember "The House of Magic" which not only specialized in magic tricks, but scary masks as well. I still have two of those masks at home. Buying a mask was always a highlight for my brother and I.

Then there are the "lost attractions" in the brochure that are no longer there.

Skyway, The Mickey Mouse Revue, Mr. Toad's WIld Ride, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, Davey Crockett's Explorer Canoes, Diamond Horseshoe Revue, Mike Fink Keelboats, Plaza Swan Boats, The Walt Disney Story, Caribbean Arcade, If You Had Wings, Circle Vision 360, and Mission to Mars.

I miss those old attractions, but reading these brochures has brought many memories back to me. More later......
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though my first visit disney wasnt until 1990, I enjoy hearing what the old WDW and Disneyland were like, reading old brochures, and looking at old photos or videos.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

The earliest memory I have (not mine but from my sister and mom), is that I was the first person to get their head stuck in the slats of the fence at the Haunted Mansion. They had to pry the bars apart to get my head out. I was about 2.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    I remember "The House of Magic" which not only specialized in magic tricks, but scary masks as well. I still have two of those masks at home. Buying a mask was always a highlight for my brother and I.
    Ours too!! My sister and I were teens in the late '70s and bought rubber Frankenstein and troll masks there. Then we wore them while riding our hotel elevator up and down the floors, not saying a word, just getting a kick out of the looks on people's faces as they entered the elevator. Ah, the innocent days!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

1976 was the first year i ever went to WDW
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Ours too!! My sister and I were teens in the late '70s and bought rubber Frankenstein and troll masks there. Then we wore them while riding our hotel elevator up and down the floors, not saying a word, just getting a kick out of the looks on people's faces as they entered the elevator. Ah, the innocent days!
    We still have the dark green Frankenstein rubber mask. We also have a glow in the dark rubber skeleton mask. They were pretty expensive and built to last back in the 70's.

Post Thanks / Like

I just love to read stuff like that - thank you for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

'75 or '76 was when I have my first memories of Disney. Because we lived so close, all we ever took were day trips. No one in my family held onto any brochures of any kind. I wish I had some to look back on and revisit the memories. This is why I love so much when others share pictures or stories from the past.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

1976 was our first trip as well. I remember the bicentennial themed parade and the "free attractions" that did not cost a ticket: circle vision 360, if you had wings, and (I think) carousel of progress.
    We stayed offsite at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park. Lots of fun family memories!
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

1976 was my first visit too! I don't remember much though.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmallan View Post
    1976 was our first trip as well. I remember the bicentennial themed parade and the "free attractions" that did not cost a ticket: circle vision 360, if you had wings, and (I think) carousel of progress.
    We stayed offsite at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park. Lots of fun family memories!
    "bicentennial themed parade" is on YouTube. How things have changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I went that year too, I was 3. I remember staying at the Poly and the pool area at night. I remember sitting on the sidewalk of Main Street at the parade. Wow, this brings back such great memories.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Body in Mobile, Alabama Mind completely gone!
    Post Thanks / Like

76 was my first trip too and It was with my Grandparents as well. We stayed in the Snow White campground in Kissimmee and it was HOT! I still have the bucket hat my parents bought me, wonder if it is worth anything?
    Todd aka BAMABOY
    19 times and counting
    !!

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"
    "Phone's ringing Dude. Thank you Donny"
    "Sorry folks, parks closed. The moose out front shoulda' told ya."

Post Thanks / Like

Can't beat all these great ol' Disney memories!! First trip for me was '74(I was 10)....stayed at the Contemporary North - remember running those halls constantly....we ran like banshees getting onto the monorail....had a blast at the Hoop-de-do where i believe my uncle ended up onstage and we walked out to a monsoon....Speedway was 1st ride i remember ever going on - now a first ride tradition for me and my DS'....did the Luau which was fun AND buggy - have not done it since but on the bucket list ....remember the band coming up from the stage at the old food court....great brakfast buffet at Top of the World where I discovered tasty WDW bacon....

I look back and think how big and how much there was to do and see as a 10 year old not realizing it was just the beginning. Definately a fun, innocent time to be at WDW as a kid with the family in the 70's....
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. My grandparents lived in Kissimmee so we went and visited in the summer and winter Christmas times. I remember the tickets to purchase for attractions, and the places on Main Street. The flowers I remembered because they smelled and also, I was stung by a bee too.

Your souvenirs that you mentioned are the reasons why I've kept everything from the WDW vacations I took with my family starting in the late '90's. Old Park hopper tickets, maps, popcorn buckets, you name it. It's not the monetary value of these things as they age, but rather the memorable value they mean to my family.

Thanks for sharing.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    "bicentennial themed parade" is on YouTube. How things have changed.
    Wow! Thanks for finding that!
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

Ok you 76'ers Do any of you have The Story of Walt Disney World-commemorative edition? Black cover with a D shape front cover.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

thanks so much for posting!

it's funny how much that first trip really sticks with you. I was too young to remember my first, but I have most of my second trip burned into my memory. i will never forget all the little details about it..

I also liked your listing of the attractions that were gone too, very interesting! I started thinking about all the ones that were gone from the times I've been. Eh, probably best not to think about that part...
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmallan View Post
    Wow! Thanks for finding that!
    Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxqt1vNtxLU

Kind of hilarious to see a walking telephone earpiece and a walking mustard jar.

First saw it a couple of years ago before one of our night parade meetings at MK. We usually have some kind of video before the meeting depending on who the coordinator is for the night.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: