Quantcast Life changes

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Life changes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Life changes

Anyone else have big changes happening in your life as you have gotten older?

We moved to the east coast- no family or friends here. Been here a couple of years and have not met anyone to go out to lunch, shop with...

Both of our daughters graduated last year. So no more school activities, after school rushing around to dance and concerts.

I have tryed joining a couple groups but even though the people have been nice, they have been friends for years and years. Nice, but haven't met anyone that really clicks as a good friend to hang out with.

Just a strange point in my life. After a lifetime
    of friends, family, and 23 years of kid activities I am in limbo. Most of the family in the Midwest
    have passed away. Don't have much contact with the few that are still living there.

Not trying to mop but ........I just wondered if
    anyone else is going through empty nest, moving to a new part of the country when you are older,
    and becoming the oldest generation and missing family members and the large family gatherings
    that used to happen.

I think the biggest mistake I made was giving up a career 24 years ago. I don't regret all the time with my girls when they were younger, all the volunteering, room mom, Girl Scouts, hours waiting for gym, swim and dance meets and competitions but I wish I had a career rather than just a job. And at 58 I not want to go back to school.

Just wondering if anyone is going through any of these life changing events and how you are coping.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

While I'm not in the exact same situation, I can relate. We were relocated from FL to CO for my job and are experiencing some of the same issues. I thought that, since my kids are sill young, it would be easier to make new friends with the other moms in girl scouts, school activities, etc., but it's been the same thing you've found - everyone has known each other forever. They're very nice and we do get together on occassion, but it's not the same. Also, I work full time, which isn't the norm here by any means. My husband is going through similar issues.

Although I don't have any advice to provide, I'm hoping that it will be better soon. I'll be watching your thread for any ideas!

Good luck!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Our DD graduated college last May and got married the next weekend, they are only staying in this area because of family. I told her we are thinking of "retiring" south in about 4 years...she said they have several good work options available if they go west...so it looks like we will be living several hours away from each other within the next few years.

My DH asked me if we move what would I do, since I would not know anyone and would be starting over. I told him the first thing I would do is find a church for us to join....again. When we first got married we moved into an area where neither of us had any contacts/friends; we found a church we liked, joined and now (20 years later) we know EVERYONE!

Also, a local gym class...like aerobics is a good way to meet people in your area.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the challenge. I wish you luck and lots of adventure as you move into this new part of your life.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Big changes here too. In 2010 hubby had a car accident (while working) and bruised his spine. He was unable to move anything below the belly button. He has learned to walk again and is really doing quite well. He went back to work in 2011; however, they "released" him from his job (of 25 years) just before Christmas 2012. He has found new employment, in a related, but different field (does that make sense??) which leaves us with the option to live anyplace... Our kids are grown and living on their own but we both have elderly parents and feel that we need to be here for them. We would love to just pack it all up and have a new adventure in a new place, but again, our parents need us here. It is a crossroad I could never have imagined.
    Auntie B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
    My DH asked me if we move what would I do, since I would not know anyone and would be starting over. I told him the first thing I would do is find a church for us to join....again. When we first got married we moved into an area where neither of us had any contacts/friends; we found a church we liked, joined and now (20 years
    We have lived in 5 states and 8 different towns since we were married. This is the first time I have had problems meeting new friends. Beginning to wonder if it is just the East coast that is harder to get established in. Plus we are out in country - not an area to find many clubs/activities to join. I tried a garden club but all the ladies were 15+ years older and had been together for 40 years. Would like to volunteer at an animal shelter but none close by.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie B View Post
    Big changes here too. In 2010 hubby had a car accident (while working) and bruised his spine. He was unable to move anything below the belly button. He has learned to walk again and is really doing quite well. He went back to work in 2011; however, they "released" him from his job (of 25 years) just before Christmas 2012. He has found new employment, in a related, but different field (does that make sense??) which leaves us with the option to live anyplace... Our kids are grown and living on their own but we both have elderly parents and feel that we need to be here for them. We would love to just pack it all up and have a new adventure in a new place, but again, our parents need us here. It is a crossroad I
    could never have imagined.
    Glad he was able to find another job! That is the reason we moved to PA - only job my husband could find when his old job was ending.

We hope to retire in Florida or somewhere else warm in a few years.

Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm definitely not there yet (we have four young kids!), but I think about the point in my life when I will be quite a bit so I can relate some.

These years raising your kids are really the golden years of your life and they go by so quickly. I try and remind myself to stop and savor them from time to time (heck that's what our Disney World trips are all about! ) but even that is hard with life flying by so fast.

I don't have any great words of wisdom or advice for you except to say I understand how you're feeling and so do many others I suspect.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any words of wisdom, just wanted to say hi to my friend, and to tell you I hope you find something fulfilling soon!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I don't have any words of wisdom, just wanted to say hi to my friend, and to tell you I hope you find something fulfilling soon!
    Thanks!

Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

These years raising your kids are really the golden years of your life and they go by so quickly. I try and remind myself to stop and savor them from time to time (heck that's what our Disney World trips are all about! ) but even that is hard with life flying by so fast.
    suspect.
    The time certainly does go by fast and the girls were a lot of fun growing up. I am lucky that I still have good friends in Ohio ( where we lived over 20 years). Even though I havent seen them in about 3 years we talk on the phone and Facebook is nice for staying in touch.

Enjoy those 4 kids and those trips!! I need to pull out my photo albums and remember all those magical vacations!

Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really have any great advice, just hang in there and do the things you are interested in and the right people will be drawn to you. Life has a funny way of just falling into place - even though it seems to take forever sometimes. I have spent the past 2 years adjusting and getting used to a "new normal" - repeatedly. Some days are certainly better than others, but we just keep moving forward while we enjoy the current moments.
    Auntie B

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read of your posts and our conversations, it sounds like you have a lot of interests. I know the library where I work has a lot of programs and book discussions and such. Have you looked into anything like that? Maybe volunteer someplace that interests you? If it interests you, it would probably interest whoever else is there, giving you something in common. Be a museum docent, perhaps? Just some thoughts....

Post Thanks / Like

Could you join the Red hat ladies? (are they still around?
    or AARP?
    are there any local political/religious/volunteer organizations that you identify with?

I don't think it's on purpose but maybe if you open up and just say at the next event/gathering,
    "Wow, I feel like a fish out of water, I never realized when I moved away from my home of many years how hard it would be to meet new friends"
    OR, "boy, I wish I was still in grade school when it was so much easier to meet and make new friends at recess
    " Something along those lines will open up communication and let them know you are hoping for a closer friendship. Sometimes we just need a smack to the head to realize that everyone doesn't feel connected to our "group"

Good luck
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Volunteer work is a great way to meet people and do good at the same time. I also agree with the people who suggested clubs and other activities. It takes time to make friends. Pick something you like and stick with it for a while. You won't make best friends overnight, but it will happen eventually! In the meantime, you'll be doing something you enjoy and interacting with other people. Good luck and hang in there.
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

I think its the country. I grew up in central, very rural Pa. They are very tight communities. In my town, very few people moved into the area and those that did were always seen as outsiders. I think you can compare some towns to being in a family. You are cautious of those you let in.

With that being said, I know what you mean. I have lived in this area for 13 years. I have moved on from the kids activities, so most of the people I saw on a regular basis are no longer around.

I found that I am pickier about who I want to share my time with as I get older. I have a lot of acquaintances, but few friends. I would like to have a few women to go to lunch with, but it is a rare event. I watch things like sex in the city and are jealous of their relationships. But i am also so grateful for the family and relationships that I do have.

I recently started a part time job that I love. I am an activity instructor at an assisted living community. It has helped a lot.

We need to have more disney world meets.

Post Thanks / Like

Do any volunteer work you can.. I realize that can be difficult in the country but if there is anything close by. There are daycares, hospitals, YMCA's, community theatres, nursing homes, etc.. all welcome volunteers and leave room for new friendships. Community classes can be good as well. If you're doing something you like you will find like minded people.

The empty nest thing is somewhat new to me as well.. the last kid moved out and two weeks later the 16 year old dog died. It has taken some getting used to, but I'm trying to settle into "me" time. Hard to do when you're used to looking after everyone and everything. At some point we look forward to this part and then it happens to us..
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been dealing with empty nest for quite a few years. Almost 15 years ago I left small town Iowa and moved to the outskirts of Toronto. Living in the big city it was really hard to meet new friends, so I joined a stamping group and a quilt guild because I'd have something in common with everyone..those were nightmares..very rude people. I ended up taking a 12 week wine appreciation course at the local liquor store that offers drinking and cooking classes, and now the class coordinator and I have become good friends along with a few of the chefs from the cooking classes I have taken. In fact, next week I have a cooking class with my favorite chefs and I'm going to his restaurant with my friend. This chef begs for my baking and he is a fantastic chef of a 4 star restaurant! I keep telling him he'd be a fantastic Dianey chef!

So just find something you like to do and do it for yourself, and you never know what can happen(this is aso the way I met the DH...I quit looking and it happened)!!!
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    Dec. 07--Wilderness Lodge,
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

Your post really made me think. Having moved a lot myself, I am used to reaching out to make new friends and finding my niche in the community. That said, it has been easier in some areas than others. Florida was a breeze; with so many transients in the state I think we were all in the same boat and were eager to establish new friendships. Texas was also a relatively easy transition. In general people are very friendly here and once I started working I made a lot of new contacts and a few very good friends. It was very difficult, socially, to live in New Hampshire. Although a pretty state, people seemed to be very cliquish up there, IMO, at least where we used to live. It was one of the reasons we moved back to Florida after just three years.

I grew up in Minnesota and my parents have both passed away. My siblings all still live there, but are spread out across the state, so big family gatherings don't happen all that often. While I love my home state, I don't have any desire to move back up there--not a fan of the cold, cold winters!

My son (our only child) is a junior in college so I went through the empty nest thing somewhat. What really helped was having my work as an RN to give me a sense of purpose, and pets at home that still needed care and nurturing. That's what I would recommend for you--continue to find useful things to do with your time, whether working, volunteering, becoming an active member in a church, etc., and the friendships will follow. It may be a slow process and they may not be like the ardent friendships of youth, as I think people tend to be less open to that as they get older. But chances are you will eventually find some kindred souls and friendship will grow. And, of course, you have your friends on Intercot (I've made some wonderful friendships on here!)
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Debbi!

Although I'm not an empty nester, I completely understand your situation.

I definitely agree with Disney Obsessed that it's a country thing. As you know, I moved to MD almost two years ago. We live on a country road in a rural area and I've only ever met my neighbor next door a few times and that's it. I know no one else except the people with whom I work and they are spread out all over the region.

Also, I know that in rural PA, especially in the more mountainous regions (which is most of PA) they are very insular. My grandparents and also a friend's parents moved to upstate PA and were basically shunned because they were outsiders from Phily and New Jersey. Only my friend's parents were eventually accepted because they were originally from a nearby town.

You may remember from our Philly meet that I'm having a very difficult time with my move to MD so I completely sympathize with you. I know that you mentioned meeting up for lunch sometime, but right now I've got little free time with the boys, especially since the little guy (whom you also met) has been in the hospital three times since just before Thanksgiving. However, once the situation and the weather improves, we'll meet up. I promise.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    You may remember from our Philly meet that I'm having a very difficult time with my move to MD so I completely sympathize with you. I know that you mentioned meeting up for lunch sometime, but right now I've got little free time with the boys, especially since the little guy (whom you also met) has been in the hospital three times since just before Thanksgiving. However, once the situation and the weather improves, we'll meet up. I promise.
    Another lunch meet will be fun - looking forward to it.

And I hope you don't have anymore hospital visits any time soon - sounds like you have had a tough few months.

Wishes!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: