Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 15

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rock N Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    All these Pittsburgh races, and they canceled the one my hubby was going to run. :/
    The Rock n Roll one? I was going to do that one. We could have had Primanti's after.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    The Rock n Roll one? I was going to do that one. We could have had Primanti's after.
    Yes. That one.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I pass out from exhaustion just wanted to check in and say keep up the great work everyone! I finished my first ever timed race today, I did a local ten miler to use at my POT for the half. I really surprised myself and did it in under two hours!

I have to thank this group so much for all the support, motivation and love we share here. I would NEVER in my wildest thoughts have even attempted something like this if it weren't for you all. I am so tired right now but SO motivated to keep training for runICOT. So excited to keep up the great momentum with everyone here!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Before I pass out from exhaustion just wanted to check in and say keep up the great work everyone! I finished my first ever timed race today, I did a local ten miler to use at my POT for the half. I really surprised myself and did it in under two hours!
    Excellent! Congratulations!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I did a local ten miler to use at my POT for the half. I really surprised myself and did it in under two hours!
    WAY KEWL!!! Congrats and keep up the great work. Thanks for sharing...
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm signed up for the 8:30 p.m. heat! Hope to see you there!!!! It's going to be so much fun!
    I just signed my DH and I for the 8:20pm heat of the Glow Run. He has never run a race and I talked him into it (even though he's not a runner) as my running partner is out with an injury. I'm excited and will have to meet up with you before the race starts!!
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go everyone! Keep up the good work!!
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Woo hoo

Everyone is doing so well. We're going to be rocking the races in our #runICOT shirts. I was thinking of buying two. With 50 lbs lost so far.... will I need a new size by Jan?

The bad news - I went to see the orthopedic doctor and he says I have the knees of a 60 year old. I turned 44 today. That's what you get for carrying around 75 extra pounds for years, I guess.

He wants me to back down on running and kickboxing and go back to elliptical. NO WAY is that happening. I finally found something I love to get me in shape and I told him to get me something to get by. So we are starting with rub medication (my stomach can't take Naproxen, Ibuprofen, or others). If that doesn't work - cortisone shot.

I know I'm being stubborn.

I was hoping some of my ICOT run friends may have some home remedies????
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

MEL! We're so close in age - I turn 44 in December.

I'm sorry about your knees. That stinks! Hopefully someone will be along with something that works. Knees aren't something I've had to deal with yet. It stinks getting old.

Post Thanks / Like

...I turned 44 today...
    HAPPY B-DAY!!! Hope you have a great day.

Remember...to do something KEWL today. What you do on your b-day - you do the rest of the year!

Far as your passion for getting fit...I relate. I've got some health issues as well...spinalstenosis. BUT as long as you can cut your pace back a little, not stop running, as JG says...you should be still able to enjoy running. At this point your muscles should be in a burn calorie mode from all the work you've been doing. As long as you keep up with it and don't eat bags of doritos each night - I think you will be fine and be able to maintain what you've accomplished.

AND I'd ask Mr. O about the kickboxing frequency. You prolly already thought to do that. He's up on stuff like that. He could have some suggestions to keep you working out.

Unfortunately at our ages...yea I just hit 47 on 8/27...a lot of US are at that pain age. I've been power walking and running for 5 years now. I was heavier before I got on my kick to get healthy. My back always bothered me and I could easily throw it out. Now that I'm leaner and have a regiment to keep my back muscles stronger I've not had any back issues at all in years. And I've made some mistakes while I worked to get into shape. BUT the past year has been much better with no time lost thru injury at all. I think shoes and running right - ala JG's help - really made a difference for me. Now I listen to my body and do what it needs when I need to. And if that sometimes means to take a day off to recover...well ya gotta do it.

GOOD LUCK and again enjoy your day today and congrats on your terrific progress of better health and weight loss!

AWESOME!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Happy birthday Mel! Don't let the knee Pickens get you down. Do they think it's reversible with your weight loss and exercise?

Congrats Nikki on your run! SO happy for you and what a great time!!

Still plodding along with my running. I think te Disneyland half this month was my last 1/2. I jut am not feeling it anymore after doing 4 of them. There's very few things I like to do for 3 hours straight, and running is one of them ! Lol! I'm a 5&10K gal now.
    I think I have the attention Span of a gnat!

Congrats to all & just keep running, just keep running ...
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Still plodding along with my running. I think the Disneyland half this month was my last 1/2. I just am not feeling it anymore after doing 4 of them. There's very few things I like to do for 3 hours straight, and running is one of them ! Lol! I'm a 5&10K gal now.
    I think I have the attention Span of a gnat!

Congrats to all & just keep running, just keep running ...
    Too funny... I've friends that always ask me about competing...and running longer to do a 1/2 or full. I'm just not interested in that. I just run for peace of mind and personal fitness. Since my job has me sit for 40 hrs/wk - the running I get to do at work at lunch is my salvation and when I add a run on the weekend to start the day or in the evenings after work...it's great as well.

I'm with you - 5K and 10K...and maybe a 10 miler as the most - I'm all in! Past that, it's more like work and personally I'd lose the enjoyment in it. But GREAT if you want that but I don't. WANT is a strong word. I do log 130 to 138 miles in a month...per my nike equipment. For me, that’s plenty!!!

ALSO - just thought - the elliptical mentioned... I can't do that. Every time I've tried one I've always had knee pains after and hip pains as well. I tried on the DREAM a year ago vs. the deck running...and I was hurting over the next 2 days. Then when DW and I joined a gym last winter we tried them again. I had knee pain and hip pains. Just can't seem to do that. Now treadmill and outside running and I have no issues. Gotta be a stride thing on the elliptical.

Jus' sayn'...
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ortho Bioflex

Quote Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
    HAPPY B-DAY!!! Hope you have a great day.

Remember...to do something KEWL today. What you do on your b-day - you do the rest of the year!

AND I'd ask Mr. O about the kickboxing frequency. You prolly already thought to do that. He's up on stuff like that. He could have some suggestions to keep you working out.
    Thanks other Mr O for the Birthday wishes. I'm going to go see Lion King on Broadway tonight. This will be my 6th time.

Thanks Melanie and Christine for the Birthday wishes.

I have been on Ortho Bioflex for about 9 months now and there has been some improvement (mostly less clicking). The weight loss did help. But, the damage is irreversible, according to the Doctor. Mr O is modifying my kickboxing for less knee impact so we'll see how things go. I'm hoping someone on here has another option I can try.

I have a 6.6 K run for the Mario Lemieux foundation and The Color Run 5K in the same weekend and I'm not giving those up.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

My insurance company wouldn't pay for the ointment so I'm getting cortisone shots at 1:50 today. Bleh
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Hope the shots help. I don't know where you run but you might try to do more trail/grass running than sidewalk/pavement. It's a marginal difference but definitely would put a little less pounding on your knees if that's where you're having pain.

Great job on your weight loss and achievements so far!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is doing so well. We're going to be rocking the races in our #runICOT shirts. I was thinking of buying two. With 50 lbs lost so far.... will I need a new size by Jan?

The bad news - I went to see the orthopedic doctor and he says I have the knees of a 60 year old. I turned 44 today. That's what you get for carrying around 75 extra pounds for years, I guess.

He wants me to back down on running and kickboxing and go back to elliptical. NO WAY is that happening. I finally found something I love to get me in shape and I told him to get me something to get by. So we are starting with rub medication (my stomach can't take Naproxen, Ibuprofen, or others). If that doesn't work - cortisone shot.

first of all--Happy Belated Birthday, Mel! And good job on the weight loss and getting healthy!

The only thing I can think of that you're not doing is putting Capsaicin on your knees. Make sure and wash your hands afterward because if get this ointment anywhere near your eyes it will burn like the dickens.

I also wanted to tell you about my brother....he was a big runner, really almost addicted to it. He ran many marathons into his mid 50's, even after he started having problems with his knees. Had arthroscopic knee surgery three times and each time went back to running, against his doctor's advice. Long story short he ended up having a knee replacement at 59 years old--way too young for that. After that he decided to switch to biking and has done much better.

I'm not trying to discourage you but encourage you to consider the advice of your orthopedist. Running got you jump started but there other options out there that will keep you moving toward your goals without any more damage being done. I also used to be a runner in my 20's and when I took it back up again in my 40's I started having terrible pain in my left knee. X-rays showed degenerative changes to my knee much like what you are experiencing, so I switched to walking and weights and eventually that knee pain went away, thank goodness.

I guarantee you--if you get on a treadmill and put the incline up to a 12 or 13% grade you will get your heart rate up and legs working hard, but much easier on the knees.

I hope you all don't mind me posting in your thread. I'm not able to be at WDW in January for all the runs, but I enjoy keeping up with what you are all doing to prepare, especially while I'm on the treadmill (as I am right now!)
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Not a home remedy, however I was having problem with my knees - I have for years. I tried the cortozone shot and it just didn't do anything. They then had me get Supartz (I may have totally screwed up the spelling on that) injections. It's a series of three shots into the knee, about a week apart. It's supposed to last from six months to two years - I personally saw it lasting for about a year before I needed to go back in for another round. It's basically like injecting motor oil into your joints. I'm not sure if it is relevent to your knee issues but it's worth looking into.

I'm no longer having issues with my knees. I've lost sixty pounds since joining Weight Watchers last year as well as picking up running. I think the loss of the weight has really helped. I still have days when they're not feeling great, but no longer have issues walking on them.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

My insurance company wouldn't pay for the ointment so I'm getting cortisone shots at 1:50 today. Bleh
    Good luck on the shots! Hope they don't burn too badly...

Keep us updated.

AND hope you enjoyed LK last night too!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

My husband uses Move Free for his joints. I am no Dr. - this product was recommended to him by our trainer. It is found in the vitamin aisle. It may be worth asking about or trying.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks guys

So much good info, I'm just printing the thread for reference.

Shots. Yuk. Burning hard. Whats worse is I missed kickboxing TWO DAYS IN A ROW. And I'm out of valium. Look out at Pittsburgh news sites because I have two girls and a husband refinishing the stairway in our home... stress levels high. There may be police. I may need bail money.

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes. I've seen Lion King 5 times. 3 in Pittsburgh, once traveled to Cleveland, and once in London. I have to tell you, we saw the "Gazelle" company and I was very impressed with the actress who played Rafiki. Everything else - meh. No "Morning Report" and everything seemed like they went through and cut budget. But it *was* Lion King. I did cry. As usual. We go again for GIRLS night only on 9/20.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)