Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
My plan for my first whole marathon in January is to do my first 10 miles as a regular run then do a 3/3 the rest of the time. I'm able to walk right now and have it under 15 minutes so I think I'll be able to beat the balloon ladies.
Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
I'd consider reversing it, run/walk in the beginning and then switch to just running. You might find it'll make the running only part easier.
What ever you decide your race strategy is going to be. Whether you run the first ten or the last ten or do all intervals, the important thing is to run your long training runs with the same strategy. This will be a great way to find out what works and what doesn’t.

FYI 10 miles is very close to 38% of 26.2 miles

Being that this is your first full marathon you will undoubtedly hear two things more than anything else. Never do anything new on race day and don’t start your race to fast. The second one is a lot harder to do than it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
We get snow, sleet, slush, ice. And our city is full of bridges that we run across for our training. Bridges over freezing rivers with the wind taking your breath away. But I wouldn't trade it.
Running in the snow or at least hard packed snow is actually pretty easy, I’ve been doing it for a few years now. Sleet, slush and ice on the other hand not so much. I have a couple of friends that use yak traks or something like that in icy conditions and they felt that they did a good job of keeping their footing.

Have a great race and we will see you in January.