Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 13

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Understood

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Actually, no. I have no great aspirations to being a great runner. I just want to be able to do a 5K here and there without dying. I like the Couch to 5K method, and will stick to that.
    I'm using Galloway lolo 5K app on my iPhone. Walk/Run seems to be keeping me going pretty good. Just an option...
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Galloway's walk/run/walk method as well. I can go much further with those walk breaks added in. I like a ratio of 4:1
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Here too, DW and I are using JG's 5K lolo app too.

I'm at 4:30/30. I've improved my 5K time by 3 mins since May2013 when I began the program.

I'm sorry I didn't know about the app before I did the CC 5K when we cruised.

We really like the app a lot!

Mel, no pressure. Just giving ya options is all. It's all in what you want to get out of it. Glad you are making progress!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

It may well be a crime to say this here, but JG doesn't appeal to me personally. Maybe I'll give the app a try, unless he's on there giving pep talks or something.

Post Thanks / Like

It may well be a crime to say this here, but JG doesn't appeal to me personally. Maybe I'll give the app a try, unless he's on there giving pep talks or something.
    I admit I don't know who this guy even is. I've just read about the method and tried it and am a fan. It works for me. But, I couldn't pick the guy out of a lineup if I had to.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I admit I don't know who this guy even is. I've just read about the method and tried it and am a fan. It works for me. But, I couldn't pick the guy out of a lineup if I had to.
    If anyone is the 'face' of runDisney, it's him.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is the 'face' of runDisney, it's him.
    Yeah, I know that. But, I generally don't like the concept of "spokespeople" anyway, so I just don't really dig too deep in trying to "know" people like that, KWIM? I can assume he's probably as obnoxious as most spokespeople. Am I right?

Regardless, the walk/run/walk method has sound principles behind it and I am a fan as a person who has knee/hip issues to contend with. It lets me go much further than I thought I could.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Know what you mean

Yeah, I know that. But, I generally don't like the concept of "spokespeople" anyway, so I just don't really dig too deep in trying to "know" people like that, KWIM? I can assume he's probably as obnoxious as most spokespeople. Am I right?

Regardless, the walk/run/walk method has sound principles behind it and I am a fan as a person who has knee/hip issues to contend with. It lets me go much further than I thought I could.
    He does talk on the app if you choose to let him. And I do. I like his folksy voice. But you CAN mute the "play coaching audio" He's not a drill sargent. He reminds me to keep my posture straight, I'm 1/2 way through, cool down, etc. The rest of the time its MUSIC. And normally Justin Timberlake or something else to get me pumped.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    He does talk on the app if you choose to let him. And I do. I like his folksy voice. But you CAN mute the "play coaching audio" He's not a drill sargent. He reminds me to keep my posture straight, I'm 1/2 way through, cool down, etc. The rest of the time its MUSIC. And normally Justin Timberlake or something else to get me pumped.
    Glad you find the JG app useful!

DW and I really like it. On Sunday she made it thru the app to her RACE DAY and she blew her own record away. Knocked off 2 mins from her 5K time since May when we did the CC 5K on DCL and she greatly improved her Mile/Min time as well. I'm so proud of her. And she is using 1min/1min ratio per the app. Next she's going to up to 2/1 to try and improve more.

I did both a 5K and 10K and I shaved off more time from my 10K time.

What is funny is we are doing this with a run/walk/run. AND my times are better/shorter vs. when I ran straight thru the run. PLUS I feel better and not fatigued after the run. SURE I can feel it - but it's night and day different.

We are both very big proponents of his methods. To us if you stick to them you will succeed. And we do like his coaching. AGAIN not aggressive yelling type. Just enough to keep you going with some very nice tips as you run. Add your playlist and the "beat match" in the app helps keep your pace.

NO this is not a paid endorsement! LOL

BTW, we are looking into treadmills for the cruddy PA weather that comes. PLUS this summer has been very rainy and trying to schedule and follow our run days has been a great challenge. SO anyone have any treadmill recommendations??? We demoed some at Sears on Sunday. Seem to have a couple models in mind.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK FOLKS!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

I am so impressed by everyone. I really need to get on track. It is just so hot here right now.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pittsburgh race

I know there are some Pittsburgh folks on this board, so I thought I would mention a new race. I recently signed up for the EQT 10 miler. It is in November and looks like it should be a nice run through the city!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yinzer!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Minnie View Post
    I know there are some Pittsburgh folks on this board, so I thought I would mention a new race. I recently signed up for the EQT 10 miler. It is in November and looks like it should be a nice run through the city!
    Can you PM me the info? It sounds like a good warm up for me! Gratzi!
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMRO View Post

NO this is not a paid endorsement! LOL

BTW, we are looking into treadmills for the cruddy PA weather that comes. PLUS this summer has been very rainy and trying to schedule and follow our run days has been a great challenge. SO anyone have any treadmill recommendations??? We demoed some at Sears on Sunday. Seem to have a couple models in mind.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK FOLKS!!!
    The first thing we did when we moved into our house in VA (after moving from CA) was buy a treadmill! LOL! It was the best money we've spent here so far.

We have a Nordic Track Commercial 1750 model. It cost just shy of $1500 including shipping and professional assembly. I think for the kind of machine it is, that was a steal. It is more solid than many gym quality treadmills. It has a host of features that are very nice and it has been serving us well for over 2 years and almost daily heavy use. I can't recommend it highly enough. We did have a minor part break and Nordic Track was wonderful about sending replacement part (they even sent us EXTRA parts that we ended up not needing, but they sent them "in case" they were also damaged), and they set up a repair guy at no cost to us since the treadmill is under warranty. We had it fixed in under a week.

Take a look at their page and I HIGHLY recommend waiting until a major holiday (Labor day) to take advantage of sale pricing, which they do over the holidays.

NONE of the treadmills you see at Sears are considered "high quality" machines. If you will really be running on it, plan to spend, minimum, $1000. We figured that $1500 was cheaper than a gym membership for two over the long run.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I'm getting close to my first half marathon I'm starting to think about the training for my second. I'm running the Disneyland Half on September 1st and then the Wine and Dine in November.

I'm now at the point (or nearly at the point) where I'll be running 14 miles that's scheduled for the first training plan (the Disneyland Half). I was thinking that after this Half I would then alternate between running four miles one weekend and fourteen the next one. (With the two thirty minute maintanence runs during the week.) My sister, on the other hand, has basically told me that I'm dumb and should start in on the Wine and Dine schedule that will be at about the eight mile mark at that point. She said that running too much will cause injurys. I figure that if I'm at the point where I can run fourteen miles every other week I don't need to 'work up to it' again and that it's really not all that much more running than if I started at the eight miles and worked my way up to fourteen again.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't continue to run the fourteen miles every other weekend as long as I'm not injured?

I hope that this made sense. Thanks so much!
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a Nordic Track Commercial 1750 model. It cost just shy of $1500 including shipping and professional assembly.

NONE of the treadmills you see at Sears are considered "high quality" machines. If you will really be running on it, plan to spend, minimum, $1000. We figured that $1500 was cheaper than a gym membership for two over the long run.
    We ran on Nordic units. They had the one you mention as well as a few just below and above that model. And a Sole brand too that gets very high reviews from runner magazines.

We know it’s an investment. Had a gym membership for both of us a year ago and they had all NEW Nautilus machines. They were super HD but way over board for what we want. Very pricey and MONSTERS in size.

We have a space limit so too big and it will not work in our space. BUT we don't want to settle for a less quality/smaller one - we weeded out the $500 to $700 models once we ran a mile each on them. You can feel the difference for certain. YES - these things take a beating. I don't see us ever doing a marathon or a ˝ in our future. Don't have that type of time to plan/train in our lives. We like the shorter runs…Just our basic fitness needs. I think $1K to $1200 is about what we see thus far that will fill our needs. Not much on iFit or TV or else. We just want to RUN indoors in our own house.

Only issue I see is with repairs and quality and reliability. Like back surgery and root-canals, you hear good and bad from many. Nordic is no different. We’ve seen poor reviews for customer service as well as FAIL right out of the box reviews and flaky LCD screens. We also know some folks can misuse a salad fork too so the reviews…well not sure you can believe all of what folks say.

I've no issue building/assembly or maintaining. Love that stuff. Just don't want to buy a lemon.

Thank you for your input!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Now that I'm getting close to my first half marathon I'm starting to think about the training for my second. I'm running the Disneyland Half on September 1st and then the Wine and Dine in November.

I'm now at the point (or nearly at the point) where I'll be running 14 miles that's scheduled for the first training plan (the Disneyland Half). I was thinking that after this Half I would then alternate between running four miles one weekend and fourteen the next one. (With the two thirty minute maintanence runs during the week.) My sister, on the other hand, has basically told me that I'm dumb and should start in on the Wine and Dine schedule that will be at about the eight mile mark at that point. She said that running too much will cause injurys. I figure that if I'm at the point where I can run fourteen miles every other week I don't need to 'work up to it' again and that it's really not all that much more running than if I started at the eight miles and worked my way up to fourteen again.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't continue to run the fourteen miles every other weekend as long as I'm not injured?

I hope that this made sense. Thanks so much!
    Very good question... I'm not sure but I'd like to know. You would think as long as you let your body recover after each run, long one in your case, you'd be good.

I wonder...
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

I love Jeff Galloway, but my doc says anything over 10 miles is damage- he says if you can do 10, you'll do 13.1 fine! 13.1 and up should be event only in his opinion.

Food for thought!

Yay - you'll have your coast to coast!!!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post

Yes. It's really not good for your body. Running is actually very bad for your body. Running in moderation is okay, but you should not be constantly doing 14 mile runs. Lead up to event training should be the only time you do that kind of schedule.

Stick to 3-5 mile "maintenance" runs between events. Your kees, hips, and back will thank you several years from now.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Checking In

I have a milestone to report: 45 lbs lost. I'm doing cardio kickboxing 5 days a week and doing the Galloway walk/run when I wake up early or on weekends. The 5K should be good. DH is worried he won't be able to keep up with me. I won't leave him behind. I want to savor my first runDisney.

When I hit 50 there's going to be a big party!

Who knows where I will be by January. But I'm excited to find out.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    I have a milestone to report: 45 lbs lost.

When I hit 50 there's going to be a big party!

Who knows where I will be by January. But I'm excited to find out.
    You go!

That's an amazing accomplishment!

Keep it up! I can't wait to hear about your party!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09