Quantcast TOT for non-roller coaster lovers?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default TOT for non-roller coaster lovers?

Hey all-

My husband has a hard time with roller coasters (especially ones which go upside down). He feels sick after he gets off. I'd love to try to coax him onto Tower of Terror since it is not a roller coaster (and an awesome ride!). But do people think it would be likely to make him queasy regardless? I don't want to torture the poor guy. = )

Thanks for the help!
    Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN
    2018 - Fall trip - in the planning process!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same as your husband. I tried RnR once and Everest a few times. I ride ToT several time a trip. The anticipation of the first time was the hardest.

Post Thanks / Like

I can do rollercoasters, but not the TOT. Did it once and my legs were like rubber when I got off. And that was when it only dropped once.

I think it will depend if his problem is his stomach or head. If it is his stomach TOT won't be for him IMO
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

ToT is not a roller coaster and doesn't go upside down. It's a totally different feeling than what you experience on a roller coaster. It's not a stomach in your throat feeling, it was very tame in comparison from what I remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    ToT is not a roller coaster and doesn't go upside down. It's a totally different feeling than what you experience on a roller coaster. It's not a stomach in your throat feeling, it was very tame in comparison from what I remember.
    I have to disagree on the stomach part. At least for me, those big drops like TOT mean my stomach drops and flips and many other things I don't like. I feel the straight drops are harsher than a rollercoaster because with a rollercoaster you are at more of an angle when you drop. Just my opinion.

BTW my husband doesn't do rollercoasters but does the TOT. His problem is his head.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big roller coaster fan - can tolerate some but not my favorite. On the other hand, Tower of Terror is one of my favorite rides!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

If the issue is the pressure (g-force) that you feel going through the inversions, the Tower of Terror should be ok.

During the drops, you do "negative g's" and get a floating sensation (for most). Some of the sequences do feature a "blast off" move upward that does press you into your seat, but it is not as nearly as intense as going through an inversion on a roller coaster.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! I'll share this info with him and see if he'll give it a try. If nothing else I'll have him walk through the line wtih me to experience all the detailed theming.
    Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Post Thanks / Like

I really, really, really dislike everything roller coasters. Last trip the fam talked me into RnRR and I thought I was going to.... Idk.... ya.

But ToT IS one of my favorite rides. My fam doesn't get it and think I'm nuts. There is not the intensity of a RR and for some reason the drop feels NOTHING like the terrifying drop of a RR. I get a little tickley and the floating is pretty cool. Of course I scream and close my eyes tight but still it's pretty cool. Ok, last time I had the nerve to peak a bit. Okay you all can stop laughing now)

I hope your DH gets the nerve to try ToT. (Btw, the seats have handles in front to hold on to but I think some seats do not. Perhaps they're the ones on the middle aisle. May want to make sure he doesn't sit in these seats )
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

I just posted about my DW conquering her coaster fears in some trip reports. Her issues are/were psychological. Sound like your husband's issues are physical. Do simulators make him queasy too? Any mothion sickness in cars? He probably won't know for sure until he tries.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

i love rides, but the tower will NEVER happen again.

I can go fast, turn hard, go upside down, spin, and any combination of those, but a vertical drop just aint happening with me. I don't think he will ever forgive you for taking him on it, if he doesn't have a heart attack first.
    Last edited by SandmanGStefani24; 02-27-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I can do rollercoasters, but not the TOT. Did it once and my legs were like rubber when I got off. And that was when it only dropped once.
    I think its actually LESS bothering now there are several drops. You sort of get used to it, so when you get off you are not so discombobulated as you were when you had just done the single big drop, so you are more likely to think the ride was ok.

Post Thanks / Like

I rode the ToT once and I won't again because it made me feel so sick. I can handle any of the other rides at WDW but that one. It's a rough one but I do love the experience and think everyone should do it at least once (assuming there is no health risks). Make he he doesn't eat a lot beforehand!
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I'm OK with most roller coasters except ones like Rockin Roller Coaster just because of the fast take off. I also can't do ToT because of the up and down.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post
    I just posted about my DW conquering her coaster fears in some trip reports. Her issues are/were psychological. Sound like your husband's issues are physical. Do simulators make him queasy too? Any mothion sickness in cars? He probably won't know for sure until he tries.
    I think it is physical for him. He is okay in simulators and he is fine in cars. The biggest problem he's had is going upside down. That goes poorly. But he did fine on the green side of Mission Space.... I think the plan will be to have him try it at the end of the day. = )
    Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Post Thanks / Like

I love roller coasters but I get motion sick. I'll try any ride once. Everything makes me woozy -- roller coasters, the TOT, Harry Potter ride at Universal, you name it (not big drops on water rides, though).

If he is OK with some rides and not with others, I'd give TOT a shot. If he gets queasy more often on rides than not, I'd say TOT isn't for him. To be on the safe side, if you decide to do it, I'd wait for later in the day, so if he does get sick, it won't ruin half your day.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lindslou View Post
    I think it is physical for him. He is okay in simulators and he is fine in cars. The biggest problem he's had is going upside down. That goes poorly. But he did fine on the green side of Mission Space.... I think the plan will be to have him try it at the end of the day. = )
    I wish you both good luck. I hope he enjoys the ride.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

This is an incredibly old thread but I thought some might enjoy an update. DH did not enjoy TOT as many in this thread predicted. He felt pretty ill afterward but came around after some sitting and some popcorn. Several months later he's glad he tried it ONCE but won't be going back for more.
    Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to him for trying. Sorry it won't be on the "favorites" or "must do" list!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Lindslou, thanks for the update. When my oldest son was 10, I made him ride it with me. After we got off and out of the building, he threw up. He should've thrown up on my shoes.
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: