Quantcast DC, Hershey, New Jersey, New York ???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DC, Hershey, New Jersey, New York ???

First off, even the best laid plans change! We were supposed to spend 4th of July weekend at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort with SIL and her family. Schedules and other plans got in the way so we'll be doing that next 4th of July.

Instead we'll be doing DC and Hershey with SIL and her family over 4th of July weekend. DC on the 3rd and 4th, and Hershey on the 5th and 6th. I know we won't be able to do and see it all in such a short amount of time, and being it will be super crowded with the holiday and all. Any suggestions or tips to make the most of the time we will have? They have done both places before and said they didn't need lots of days to do what they wanted, and we all think it'll be super cool to experience the 4th in DC so we really don't mind the crowds.

From Hershey my family of 4 will then be spending 2 weeks with DH at Fort Dix, New Jersey while he attends a military officer course. So my question is really more about what suggestions does anyone have about things the boys and I can do while DH is in class each day? The kids are 13 and 11 year old boys. I don't mind driving an hour or two to see and do things in the area. I know for sure we'd like to do a couple of day trips into NYC while there. Any suggestions about NYC or other places in the area are welcomed!

Also, DH will get the weekend in the middle of his classes off. We'd like to spend a Friday and Saturday night in a Jersey beach town. DH would rather a relaxing weekend at the beach, than a weekend in NYC. Any suggestions on great beach towns that were not affected by (or that have already recovered from) Sandy?

A good friend of mine, who lives in Jersey, has already started helping me sort things out, but I figured someone here may have some additional suggestions.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

DC to Hershey is quit a hike, maybe about 3 hours.

Only having two days in DC, I would sit down and plan exactly what is important for you to see, since you will only be able to do a small portion of what the town has to offer. For your boys the Air & Space Museum and the Natural History Musuem are probably good bets.

Two day in Hershey will be enough. You can spend one in the park and the other in the water park.

While at Fort Dix you will only be about an hour from Philadelphia. The Franklin Institute is a great place for kids. The Philadelphia Art Musuem (Rocky) is wonderful. Eastern State Penn is right next door also. Last year Batstille Day was celebrated on July 12th and it is worth being at the Penn for that. When Marie says "Let them eat cake" Tastycakes are thrown from the tower into the crowd. Then they do the beheading. Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell (the real one lol), and Ben Franklin's grave are all very close together. Reading Terminal Market for Bassetts Ice Cream. I have more Philly suggestions if you decide to go.

I only know the beaches in southern NJ so I can't help you with the central area.

Of course if you go to NY you have to visit the Statue of Libert & Ellis Island. Crumbs Bakery in Times Square is a must eat!

The problem with the area you are looking at is that it is a large area with so much to do that it is hard to just give a few suggestions.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

The hop-on hop-off trolley in Washington is great and the Twilight Tour is very nice.

I read last year they have a practice July 4th show on the national mall that has everything except the fireworks on the 3rd.

In Arlington there is a Sheraton.near the Pentagon Mall - the pool is on the top floor and you can see the Washington Monument would be a good view of the fireworks if you don't want to get in the crowds. There is a free hotel shuttle to the mall and a mass transit stop that goes into DC right outside the mall.

In New Jersey, if you are anywhere near Sandy Hook I really like the beach there and you can see NYC in the distance. It is a state or national park so there is a fee to get in but I think the beach is a lot cleaner than the public beaches.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

When we went to DC, we enjoyed the Bureau of Engraving & Printing, the International Spy Museum and of course shopping at the Pentagon Mall. For NYC, our favorites were spending time at Grand Central, Rockefeller Center and of course the Statue of Liberty. Hershey PA, I havent been there in a few years, and that is what I am looking for info on as well. I do remember going to one of the malls while there, as well as Hershey Park of course.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvdiznee View Post
    Hershey PA, I havent been there in a few years, and that is what I am looking for info on as well. I do remember going to one of the malls while there, as well as Hershey Park of course.
    When we went to Hershey we did not go to the amusement or water park. We were on our way back to Ohio after spending a week in Ocean City Maryland for dance nationals with our youngest dance company.

The trolley tour was fun - tour of town of Hershey and learned the history of town. The girls weren't impressed with the Hershey characters and store. The tour of the chocolate factory was fine but I remember it being very short.

Would not hurry back to Hershey even though we live about 2 hours from there now. Our youngest went with her high school physics class for a day trip last year and didn't enjoy the park as much as Kings Island in Cincinnati, which she grew up going to.

I would not hurry back there.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvdiznee View Post
    When we went to DC, we enjoyed the Bureau of Engraving & Printing, the International Spy Museum and of course shopping at the Pentagon Mall. For NYC, our favorites were spending time at Grand Central, Rockefeller Center and of course the Statue of Liberty. Hershey PA, I havent been there in a few years, and that is what I am looking for info on as well. I do remember going to one of the malls while there, as well as Hershey Park of course.
    My SIL and her familly did a few nights in Hershey about 4 years ago so I am letting her handle all the plans for that part of the trip. Here is what she's told me so far.

Day one we will drive from DC so we expect to get there around noon, maybe a bit after. We'll have lunch, visit Amish Country, and try to do the factory tour. Day two we will do Hershey park for sure, and maybe a nice dinner somewhere. That's really all we have planned. We don't do shopping/malls when on vacation so we should have enough time to do the few things we have planned.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    DC to Hershey is quit a hike, maybe about 3 hours.

I only know the beaches in southern NJ so I can't help you with the central area.

The problem with the area you are looking at is that it is a large area with so much to do that it is hard to just give a few suggestions.
    My SIL and her family have done the drive from DC to Hershey on a trip a few years ago and they said the drive was very easy.

Looking at google maps it looks like Fort Dix is only around 2 hours to some of the beaches in southern NJ. I was looking at Cape May and the directions I got said something like 1 hour and 57 minutes from Fort Dix. We don't mind driving a few hours to spend the weekend. Any southern beaches you can recommend would be great!

I know! Such a small area of the US with so much to do, but I think that's the beauty of it all. We'll be "stuck" there with DH for two full weeks and have all these things to do and places we can go. We are not afraid of traveling and driving, so getting in the car every other day and driving an hour or so to see and do something we might never otherwise get the chance to do is completely fine with us. It'll be an adventure for sure.

And DH will have to do phase two of this class the following summer so anything we don't get around to this summer we can try to do next summer.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

We did 4th of July week in DC this past summer. It was hot!!!! 106 degrees. And after the fireworks it was Crowded. the subways were terrible! think of the pushers in Japan. People were riding the train several times because they couldnt even get out on their stop. So get to where you want to watch (and stay for the night) and stay there. That being said it was a really nice trip. My boys (11 and 8 at the time ) really liked the capital building and watching house/senate in session. We also enjoyed the brureau of engraving. The library of congress is beautiful!!!! My kids enjoyed doing the digital scavenger hunt. the pentagon tour was really nice too! Figure out what tours you want to do so you can contact your state representative/governnor/senator to request tours.
    Arlington and the changing of the guards was amazing.
    Mt Vernon was really nice too .We did the national treasure tour and got to see areas not seen to the general public, like the basement and ice cellar.
    We really enjoyed the American history museum (it's sooo big we took two days). The natural history museum was good too. Believe it or not but my boys found the air and space museum just "good" I guess after touring the wright AFBase in Dayton the year before,this didnt even hold a candle to it.

When we travel we like to taste the local fare. We ate at several of the local chains (good stuff eatery, potbelly sandwiches). We ate at the politician frequented texmex resturaunt in capital hill(i forgot the name) We ate at the Oceanaire which was much better than our local one. But we loved, loved, loved the Ethiopian resturaunt Dukem (sp???). It is small so if this is something you might like make reservations.

We enjoyed touring just the local neighborhoods too(capital hill, foggy bottom, DuPont circle, rosslyn, Chinatown, etc)

I know it's a lot and you won't be able to do all of this in 2 days. But I hope it helps!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

If you like baseball the Washington Nationals have an 11:05 am game on July 4th. We went last year and it was great. We already have our tickets for this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe I forgot to mention the memorials(Lincoln, Washington monument, Vietnam vet, Iwo Gima,etc)
    Also forgot to mention the newseum...it gets rave reveiws. We thought it was ok. The kids had fun acting as news broadcasters in front of a green screen.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    We did 4th of July week in DC this past summer. It was hot!!!! 106 degrees. And after the fireworks it was Crowded. the subways were terrible! think of the pushers in Japan. People were riding the train several times because they couldnt even get out on their stop.
    As of now we are staying at the Gaylord National resort on the National Harbour and plan to watch the fireworks from the resort so as not to have to fight the exiting crowds. Everything we have read says it can take over 2 hours to exit the national mall after the fireworks!!!! Um....no thanks! Lol
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    My SIL and her family have done the drive from DC to Hershey on a trip a few years ago and they said the drive was very easy.

Looking at google maps it looks like Fort Dix is only around 2 hours to some of the beaches in southern NJ. I was looking at Cape May and the directions I got said something like 1 hour and 57 minutes from Fort Dix. We don't mind driving a few hours to spend the weekend. Any southern beaches you can recommend would be great!

I know! Such a small area of the US with so much to do, but I think that's the beauty of it all. We'll be "stuck" there with DH for two full weeks and have all these things to do and places we can go. We are not afraid of traveling and driving, so getting in the car every other day and driving an hour or so to see and do something we might never otherwise get the chance to do is completely fine with us. It'll be an adventure for sure.

And DH will have to do phase two of this class the following summer so anything we don't get around to this summer we can try to do next summer.
    OK...if you have two weeks definately try to get to Philly for a couple of days at least.

My opinion of Cape May. Not for the kids. It's a nice Victorian town on the beach. IMO the actual beach isn't even that nice. I feel it's more for adults. Since you are willing to drive try Ocean City NJ. It will be a shorter drive for you. It's a family beach town with a boardwalk for the kids. It's a clean beach town and they have plenty of lifeguards. Get Johnson's Popcorn....the boardwalk also has something that looks and tastes like a milkshake....but is actual just frozen bananas.

If you decide to do Ford's Theater in DC make a quick stop to the Old Post Office across the street. There is a food court at the base, but you can take an elevator up to the top. It is a wonderful (outside) view of the city. You could kill yourself with all the walking in DC (think Disney 10 times worse). Take one of the on and off all day trolly's. It will save your feet and legs and also time since you only have 2 days. It's a great way to see the monuments and other attractions.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

For the NJ Beach, I definitely second Ocean City. We always go there. The beaches are nice, and the boardwalk is great. There are numerous mini golf places, and they also have some rides. If you do go there, and decide you want some pizza, go to Primos or 3 Brothers Pizza. The line for Mack n Manco's... or whatever it's called now (Manco and Manco's, I think) is usually crazy and it is very over rated. It's also a dry town, so you don't run into all the bozos like you do at some of the other towns that have boardwalks.

For DC, the Smithsonian museums and the monuments are must-dos for us. We watched the fireworks from right next to the Washington Monument last year, and they were VERY good fireworks! Our hotel was in walking distance, but it was insanely crowded and it did take us a while to get back. It was a very fun experience though, with everyone being in a great patriotic mood
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    For the NJ Beach, I definitely second Ocean City. We always go there. The beaches are nice, and the boardwalk is great. There are numerous mini golf places, and they also have some rides. If you do go there, and decide you want some pizza, go to Primos or 3 Brothers Pizza. The line for Mack n Manco's... or whatever it's called now (Manco and Manco's, I think) is usually crazy and it is very over rated. It's also a dry town, so you don't run into all the bozos like you do at some of the other towns that have boardwalks.

For DC, the Smithsonian museums and the monuments are must-dos for us. (snip)
    Agree with this wholeheartedly! Haven't been to the DC fireworks personally but DH has and enjoyed them.

Some tips for Hershey: You can get your tickets cheaper (and sometimes with free parking) at Giant grocery stores in PA. I'd avoid the water park if at all possible and plan on eating at least one meal out of the parks. (I found their CS meals to be expensive and not very good.) I think that you can easily do the park in two days.

As for New York: I'd recommend either the Natural History Museum or the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Both of these museums have a "pay what you want" policy. Times Square is fun to visit (lots of over the top stores, including a Disney store.) There is also a free museum where you can visit one of the balls that is dropped on New Year's Eve.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

We visited NYC last summer & we loved everything! MY DS's now 15 & 17 enjoyed Top Of the Rock at Rockefeller Center and especially enjoyed shopping/browsing in Chinatown! Also shopping on Broadway, Flight Club was a huge hit for my Sneaker Heads! And the NBA Store! We enjoyed exploring Grand Central Terminal & Central Park! I enjoyed the Metropolitan Museum - the DH & DS's - not so much. And we were very disappointed with the Museum of Natural History - blah! Just riding the subway was fun! And we visted the 911 Memorial & that was very moving for us all. We thoroughly enjoyed just walking the streets of NY and seeing the fabulous architecture and being a part of that very lively city! We're already planning a return trip next summer!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    The line for Mack n Manco's... or whatever it's called now (Manco and Manco's, I think) is usually crazy and it is very over rated.
    100% agree . I just don't get the hype. I like Primo's too. I had the best pizza at the outside food court.....I don't remember the name of the place. It was pizza crust with a salad on top. The salad was fresh shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, a light olive oil, topped with fresh mozzarella. So good!!!

At Primo's I got a pizza topped with Rigatoni Parmesan and fresh garlic.

There is nothing like boardwalk food.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, since in my family we were discussing whether or not to go down the shore this summer...will it be worth it this year? Will the boardwalks be a mess and the stores boarded up? Every time I see the shore scenery on the local news, everything looks a wreck from the hurricane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDog View Post
    Just curious, since in my family we were discussing whether or not to go down the shore this summer...will it be worth it this year? Will the boardwalks be a mess and the stores boarded up? Every time I see the shore scenery on the local news, everything looks a wreck from the hurricane.
    That 's what I have been wondering as well. I looked at some pics of the day at cape May and it looks fine. That is why I was considering it, but mostly I am hearing it's not that nice of a beach!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Hershey had a program last year that you can buy your tickets for the next day at the park at around 5pm, and you get a "preview" and they let you in the park. We bought at night, entered the park until closing (which I think was 9 or 10pm) and then went back the next day and did the water park (inside the park, not a separate park admittance)and the rest of what we didn't get to do the night before. You only have to pay for a one day ticket.

As for the Jersey shore towns, some have been recovering along the shore and some have not. For example, on Long Beach Island, the Fantasy Island Amusement park arcade was flooded, but just reopened President's weekend and back to operating on weekend schedules. I know Sandy Hook was closed when we were down there 2 months ago. I haven't heard of any damage to the Ocean City boardwalk. I would call the beach area you are interested in, maybe the township offices, and they may be able to help you.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, I hope you have a really good plan to get in and out of D.C. from the Gaylord on 4th of July. Honestly, it is quite far from the city and there will be nowhere to park your car that day. Is there public transportation available? If you are going to rely on the Water Taxi, plan a LONG commute time and a lot of walking once you arrive in the city. My best advice would be to get ready for your day as if you are going to a Disney theme park. D.C. in the middle of the summer is hot, humid, potentially rainy. However, unlike Disney, there aren't many places to get a cold drink, use a bathroom, etc. For situations like the 4th of July, they will set up banks of port-a-john's along the national mall. Honestly, I am not joking here: bring some toilet paper and wet ones. You will be glad you did!

I think you should try to get most of your DC touring done on the 3rd, as the 4th will be absolute mayhem in the city. You are smart to plan to watch the fireworks from your hotel.

As for Hershey, we went there last year and we were all SO disappointed. However, I will say, the waterpark was actually the highlight of the place for us. I wouldn't skip it, but be prepared to walk around with bad hair for the rest of the day afterwards. We had a very good dinner at Houlihans which is not far from the park. Good food, nice atmosphere, etc. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Hershey. It was PRICEY (for a HI), but we were there over Memorial Day weekend, so we had to pay holiday rates. I think we paid almost $300/night and the hotel was pretty old, but in decent shape. However, it was fine for the two nights we were there. There was one other hotel next to ours, may have been the one someone else mentioned. If at all possible, I would recommend choosing one of the Hershey hotels. They are closer to the park, offer shuttle service (because the parking at Hershey Park is AWFUL), and are much, much nicer than the other hotels in the area. Our Holiday Inn had a pretty gross looking indoor pool. For what we paid at the Holiday Inn over Memorial Day weekend, we could have stayed at the Hotel Hershey over a non holiday period.

As for the NJ beaches, when I lived there (many moons ago), we used to frequent Belmar beach. Is that still a good beach? Basically, it's just a beach, nothing fancy, but I remember it being clean, large, and well managed.

For NY: Plan on visiting Central Park Zoo, Museum of Natural History, The MET, maybe the Empire State Building. The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are closed indefinitely for repairs due to Sandy damage.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: