Quantcast Trac phones?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Trac phones?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trac phones?

Hi,
    Believe it or not, I have never owned a cell phone DH and I do not have kids, so there's really been no reason for us to have one. Now, my mom will be in an assisted living facility and I feel that I really should have one in case of emergency. I can see making limited calls and doing some texting. Would a trac phone be a good option? If you have one, how is the reception out of state? I am from Wisconsin and was wondering how well it will work on vacation in WDW??
    Thanks for any info!!!
    Kari
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

They use several different networks, verizon, t-mobile, AT&T and others. Your service may very alot from place to place. I had one several years ago and do not remember any major problems. Verizon has a prepaid phone also that may be more of a reliable service and works at WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have trac phone, but I had Virgin Mobile for a short while. No problems with Virgin Mobile.

I just switched to Consumer Cellular. They are a no contract plan and they bill you. I found them to be less per month (for DD and me) than Virgin Mobile. If you have AARP you can get a discount on the plan as well.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a trac phone and for what I use it for it is great. A bit of texting and a couple of calls a day.

Reception at WDW has been great!! I get reception at work when other people don't with their more expensive phones!!

I also get free double minutes for life of the phone!!
    Off site Jan '92
    AS Music April '97, Dec '98
    AS Movies Oct 2000, Jan 03, Jan 05, Jan 06
    Pop Aug 06, Pop Jan 07
    Pop Aug 07, Pop Aug 08
    Pop Aug 09, Pop Aug 10
    Pop Aug 11, Pop Aug '12, AoA Aug '13
    Pop Dec '13 Aug '14, Jan '15, Aug '15

Next Trip: Pop Aug '16

Post Thanks / Like

We are Canadian but travel in the US so often that we bought a Tracfone. We love it. We bought the double minutes card as well- so worth it!

We bought the phone in Niagara Falls, NY and gave it a Lake Buena Vista (407) phone number. We have used it in WDW with no trouble. In fact we have used it in NY, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, D.C., Baltimore, Maryland, Illinois, Nebraska, Utah, Nevada, California and even in St. Thomas,USVI. We have never had any trouble with it!!! Buy one- you will not regret it!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

I have Virgin Mobile and no problems. It works fine in FL at WDW. I have not had a signal in some of the more remote parts of the country like the U.P. and parts of Iowa while driving through. Mine is $35 per month with 300 minutes of talk time and unlimited text/data. Unused minutes don't carry over- it's use em or lose em.

Honestly, I barely talk on mine. I use it mostly for texting and sometimes to make after hours call for work. I never go over my minutes. They have decent phones too though you will pay full price for the phones. They did start offering iphones and have androids. They still offer a few more basic models if you don't plan to do alot with it and don't want all that.

We switched from AT&T to Virgin Mobile and cut our cell bill in half. We used to get killed on the data/text charges but never got close to using our minutes. I am very happy with Virgin- it's perfect for what we need it for.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info!! I know I can always get good ideas and info from my fellow intercotees

I am thinking that the trac phone sounds like the best most inexpensive option for now. I am not used to having one anyway, so as long as I can get good reception in case of an emergency with mom I should be good.

Kari
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comicguy View Post
    I have a trac phone and for what I use it for it is great. A bit of texting and a couple of calls a day.

Reception at WDW has been great!! I get reception at work when other people don't with their more expensive phones!!

I also get free double minutes for life of the phone!!
    Ditto on the Trac Phone. Got one for my DD and it is perfect for what she needed it to do. The double minutes/double air time is perfect for us. I don't have to worry about its expiry date each month. I bought the Trac Phone for her last September and have spent a total of $55. on the phone. Sweet deal!

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media: