Quantcast Oz the Great and Powerful

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oz the Great and Powerful

Anyone see it yet? I went yesterday and saw it in 3D at the request of my movie going companions. If it were just me I would have chosen regular old school 2D. But, the 3D made it look very cool and I wasn't bothered by the images as I sometimes am during WDW 3D shows. This looked more to me like a shadowbox effect as opposed to images popping off the screen at me a la Philharmagic.

Anyway, back to the actual movie. I thought it was excellent! As a fan of the 1939 original Wizard of Oz, I was really happy with how they did this origin story and it was very true to the L. Frank Baum books (although no version except Return to Oz ever mentions Ozma) and the visual style of the 1939 movie. Personally I'm not a James Franco fan but he made a very good Wizard and I still really enjoyed the film.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope to get to see it this upcoming week. I've heard it's visually stunning, but that the story is a bit slow. Glad to hear you liked it, Nikki.

Post Thanks / Like

We were supposed to go Friday but plans changed. Hoping to see it this week. I used to be a huge fan of all things Oz when I was a kid. Loved the original movie, and read all the books, but it's been quite some time. Seeing the previews for this, though, got me excited and brought me back to those days.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I was really not looking forward to seeing Oz since I'm a huge fan of the original Wizard of Oz. In my head I was convinced that they would use modern technology and it would be more about special effects than the story itself. DS had other ideas. I took him and his friend to see the 2d version.....It was amazing!!!! I felt like they stayed true to the original....it wasn't about outdoing just continuing. I may have to go see it again and I've already insisted that my mom see it on the big screen. I don't care for James Franco but he played Oz perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed it. I have a special fondness in my heart for Oz because I was Dorothy in a school production of The Wizard of Oz.

The unexpected twists and turns were fun. It also answered questions I didn't even know I had.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing...my whole life I thought there were 4 witches. Did anyone else have that misconception?
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    One more thing...my whole life I thought there were 4 witches. Did anyone else have that misconception?
    I don't think you're alone there since they are mentioned many times as the witch of the (enter compass direction here). It makes sense. Most people think there are just two since you never see the Witch of the East in the movie except for her feet and then everyone forgets she even existed.

It may be too soon to say this, but I hope they make a second one if this does very well. I could see where a logical sequel would pick up and use the same actors.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    I don't think you're alone there since they are mentioned many times as the witch of the (enter compass direction here). It makes sense. Most people think there are just two since you never see the Witch of the East in the movie except for her feet and then everyone forgets she even existed.

It may be too soon to say this, but I hope they make a second one if this does very well. I could see where a logical sequel would pick up and use the same actors.
    Haven't seen it yet, but multiple friends have and Nikki, yours is the first positive review I've seen. I never got around to reading the Oz books, so no idea how it holds up.

One review I read was complaining about how it was so far removed from the books and only held as a prequel to the movie version everyone knows and loves (which to me is not a bad thing at all, considering my unfamiliarity with the source material). Baum was apparently a feminist, always with strong female leads, so the focus on Oz was both baffling and disconcerting to one feminist reviewer. So I'm encouraged to finally find someone who likes it. Random reviews are so hard to trust.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Haven't seen it yet, but multiple friends have and Nikki, yours is the first positive review I've seen.
    Me too! I felt like I may have been in the Twilight Zone.

It certainly brought in the $$$ this weekend though.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite hearing about this movie being too harshly reviewed... I loved this film and so did my significant other, maybe even more than I did! This new film was very faithful to many things, in many ways. I loved the musical scoring by Danny Elfman, costumes (especially Oz's and the Wicked Witch of the West's) and overall design of the sets and landscapes!

We chose to see this film in IMAX 3D and what a good choice that was! For this film, 3D actually adds rather than detracts to the overall look and feel of the film. And having it in IMAX size, clarity and sound made it all the better! I hope this movie does well enough to warrant another film (as mentioned initially by BriarRose0708).

I think it may be time to reboot the classic "Wizard of Oz" film in this newly imagined style as a sequel to this film. Plus, I left this film wanting it to continue... so much so that as soon as I got home from seeing it, I watched my copy of the classic 1939 version of "The Wizard of Oz". But even after that, I still am craving to see a sequel to "Oz: The Great and Powerful".

I mean seriously, this film leaves many open ends that need to be addressed. I realize that in order to have this story be a true and faithful prequel, it needed to end the way it did so that Dorthy has something to do when she gets there!

I just really hope I get the chance to see that someday. Though, I doubt James Franco will come back to play the relatively small part Oz plays in the "Wizard of Oz" movie.
    We all have sparks, imaginations.
    That's how our minds, create creations.
    For they make, our wildest dreams come true.
    Those magic sparks, in me and you. ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I too am glad to hear the positive review. Most people today have never read the original The Wonderful Wizard do Oz, which is a shame. . L. Frank Baum's tale is VERY different than the movie which most people adore (ruby slippers anyone?). So I'm quite happy to hear that it's true to the original! I'll try to catch it in the next week, as time allows of course! I do love the classic movie, but I love his books (I believe he wrote 19 Oz tales, and after his death, several continued with more Oz books).

BTW, this is the reason I loathe Wicked, as it's a far cry from what Baum explained in his writings.

Thanks for sharing a positive review! I now look forward to seeing the movie!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read any reviews before seeing the film, but can see where some critics would have issues. It's very faithful to the source material but it has its own identity. I don't see this as a re-boot and would not want to see a franchise like Batman or Avengers happen (which I think is a long shot anyway), but a sequel should happen. Not to be spoilery, but there's no mention of ruby slippers (maybe they will make silver ones if there's a sequel) in the film, so that's the next logical thing I would make a movie of. I think the Wizard would have just as prevalent a role there as this film. I didn't pick up on anything anti-women or anti-feminist but the Wizard is a rascal, similar to a Flynn Ryder type that ladies fall for and leaves broken hearts in his wake.

As for a remake of the 1939 movie, well, my initial reaction is don't go there. It's too classic and it wouldn't work. On the other hand a new movie version of the book would be great! There is so much in the source material that was left out of the 1939 movie that a version closer to the books is a great option if Disney is looking to capitalize on all things Oz.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    As for a remake of the 1939 movie, well, my initial reaction is don't go there. It's too classic and it wouldn't work. On the other hand a new movie version of the book would be great! There is so much in the source material that was left out of the 1939 movie that a version closer to the books is a great option if Disney is looking to capitalize on all things Oz.
    I agree with this completely! Though, some famous movie moments from the original may have to return to appease those who only know of the classic film.

Post Thanks / Like

Sequel is already in the works if not already greenlit...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Connoisseur View Post
    I agree with this completely! Though, some famous movie moments from the original may have to return to appease those who only know of the classic film.
    They would definitely need to find a way to knit together the original source material and moments from the film that are iconic but inconsistent. I feel like they'd have to go with ruby slippers instead of silver but maybe they'd come up with some quick backstory that they were originally silver but turned to ruby. That's why I leave screen writing to the professionals.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen it yet but looking forward to it.

There was an interesting article on the movie in entertainment weekly about how Disney doesn't own the film rights to the old wizard of oz movie so while the stories are public domain they had to be very careful to not have anything too close to the old movie. Thus they cannot use ruby slippers at all as that is exclusive to the movie. Same goes for costume and set choices etc. couldn't have the emerald city look too much like the other one and so forth which I would imagine will be even more difficult if they do a sequel.
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

Saw it yesterday in 3-D and thought it was visually stunning. Not a fan of 3-D (things poking out at you or coming at you fast) but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Loved the way they introduced the witches, and thought Mila Kunis did a really good job.
    Not so fond of James Franco. Nice looking guy but not a great actor IMHO. He kept mugging to let us know he was a charlatan, but I think we figured it out for ourselves.

What happened to editing a movie? They could have lost at least 30 minutes and still told a decent story.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    Loved the way they introduced the witches, and thought Mila Kunis did a really good job.
    I thought she did a decent job... the thing that really didn't work for me was her voice as a witch. Mila's voice worked when she was a good witch but not so much after her "change".

They should've just got the current voice of Maleficent and dolled her up as the Wicked Witch of the West and life would be good... maybe it is just me but the Maleficent voice is the best witchy voice I have ever heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Connoisseur View Post
    I thought she did a decent job... the thing that really didn't work for me was her voice as a witch. Mila's voice worked when she was a good witch but not so much after her "change".
    I agree about her voice. It's unique to say the least, and not as threatening as it should have been.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

We saw the movie this weekend in 3D and I'll second what others have said, it didnt bother me like most 3D do. I agree with much that has been mentioned. The scenery was beautiful! The movie was very slow to build up, then I left wanting more (go figure ). I agree with Mila's voice as witch as well, definitely could have been done better.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: