Quantcast TikiFamily April Antics Pre-trip Report

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default TikiFamily April Antics Pre-trip Report

Tiki Family Pre-Trip Report 2013

Who:
    TikiGoddess (Kathy), turning the big 4-0 on this trip!
    DH (Tim), ready for a vacation and some warmer weather
    DD10 (Julie), wants to join the Duffy Club this year
    DD8 (Katie), wants to see Carousel of Progress more than once

When:
    Mid-April (Sunday-Thursday night)

We have always gone in the summertime. My husband and I are teachers, so we really can’t take time off during the year. But it happened that our April break fell away from Easter this year – a perfect occasion to go!

I’m very curious to see how April is in Florida. I’m hoping for lower crowds, fewer Brazilian tour groups, and lower temperatures. I know that most schools in the Northeast have their spring break at the same time as ours, so I know the parks won’t be empty, but it has to be better than mid-July. Heck, as long as it’s not 93 degrees out with 95% humidity, I’ll be happy with just that.

Where:
    4 nights at the glorious Pop Century Resort. This will be a change for us -- we’ve been staying at AKL (concierge level) the last two years. But we couldn’t turn down the price – and it was so affordable, we booked two rooms. I love Pop and have stayed there at least 4 times, but for everyone else in the family this is pretty much their first time. The girls are excited to have their own room (so are me and my husband!). I’m going to pack special snacks and breakfast items so we’ll have our own ‘lounge’ in our rooms.

The Plan:
    Saturday: my birthday! We’ll be leaving home for my brother’s house in Albany (2 hr car ride) and spending the night there. Flights from Albany were much cheaper than Hartford as the NY schools have their spring break at a different time. Plus, on Sunday my brother can drive us to the airport and we won’t have to pay for parking. The girls are excited to spend time with their cousins – always a treat.

Sunday: Our flight arrives at MCO at 3:45pm. We’ll be using Magical Express – first time for everyone except me. I know the girls will love the video (and my husband will think it’s awfully cheesy and play games on his ipod the whole time). We hope to make it to Pop Century by 5pm. We’ll check in, have dinner in the food court, and most likely go swimming. You can’t keep Julie away from a pool for long. If the weather is not conducive to swimming, we may head to Downtown Disney for an hour or two.

Monday morning: Epcot. We’re looking forward to seeing the Flower and Garden beautifulness this year. Tim and the girls have never seen it. I’m excited to try out the new food booths.

On each trip we tell the girls they may pick out ONE souvenir, and this year Julie wants a Duffy bear. Katie and I got ours last year, so this year Julie will join the club. We plan on getting our picture taken with the big Duffy too.

Monday evening: Evenings are not scheduled… we’ll go with the flow.

Tuesday morning: Magic Kingdom. We have our time honored tradition of having breakfast at Crystal Palace all set for 8:15am. I happened to snag a cancellation online – everything was booked solid by the time I planned the trip. In this case, persistence paid off.

And yes, we’ll do Carousel of Progress, as requested by my Disney nerd daughters. (Raising ‘em right!)

Wednesday morning: Since I consider Toy Story Midway Mania a must, we’ll most likely hit Studio’s rope drop. But we may be getting tired by this time, so depending on crowds we might sleep in a little.

Wednesday afternoon: would like to do AK – and ride Everest right at closing…

Thursday:
    Most likely MK for EMH. Our flight home leaves at 9:25pm, so we until 6:40pm to enjoy the parks. We’ll fly home, land around midnight, and crash at my brother’s house before driving home the next day.

Top Ten List:

1. Ride the new Test Track. I’ve been good and haven’t watched any Youtube videos, so it will be a completely new experience.
    2. Introduce the family to the new Fantasyland. I got to see it during ICOT’s meet in October, but it was at night. I can’t wait to see it in the daylight, ride the Little Mermaid (with Katie, who has always been an Ariel fan), and maybe try for lunch at Be Our Guest.
    3. Get Julie her Duffy.
    4. Catch the golf ball in Soarin’. (How many years have I said this… maybe I’ll actually ‘do it’ this year)
    5. Try out the new patisserie location in France. We loved the old one, and the new one looks even better.
    6. Introduce my family to the fun of Value Resorts (and two hotel rooms).
    7. Spend a little more time in Animal Kingdom, since the weather will be more bearable (knock on wood).
    8. Seeing the topiaries from Flower and Garden at Epcot.
    9. Perhaps seeing Fantasmic for the first time…?
    10. Spending time with the most important people in my life.

Question #1: With the lower temps (and hopefully lower crowds) will we be able to comfortably skip our afternoon break? If we do, I think we’d end up going back to the hotel earlier in the evening. There’s no way we can do the parks 9am-9pm. Well, I can… but the rest of my family are wimps. Just kidding.

Question #2: I need to brainstorm for morning surprises in the hotel room… each year Tink leaves a note and something special for the girls to find when they get up (it gets them up and moving quickly!). Chocolate coins are always safe… but maybe something different this year… tell me if you have any creative ideas.

Question #3: Still trying to figure out what ride to do first on our Epcot morning… I guess our usual plan of ‘send someone to get FPs for Soarin’ while the rest head to Test Track’. Any ideas?

Question #4: Has anyone done the new interactive Pirate adventure in Adventureland? I haven’t heard much about it but it sounds like something my girls would like. They love Sorcerers so if it’s like that we’ll have to check it out.

Thanks for reading!
    Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi!

I think you'll love WDW in April! Having been in both summer and April, I much prefer spring! It can be quite hot at that time, but it's unlikely it will be as hot as July. You might be able to get by without the afternoon "lay in the air conditioning" break.

It looks like you have a good plan. I have 29 days left until my trip, and I don't have plans like that yet!

I always like to take a little notebook and a pen with me around the parks. During lines and meal times, I note down what I've been doing. Is that something the girls would enjoy? Tinkerbell could leave a Disney lanyard pen and a small notebook. The dollar stores often have these kinds of things.

Do they have their own cameras? Maybe Tinkerbell could leave a disposable camera for them. If I think of more ideas, I'll come post them.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it will be a terrific trip!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter's birthday falls in late April so we tend to go when Easter doesn't fall near her birthday.

We went last year and while it wasn't super quiet , it was quite manageable and much quieter than summer. We are going again this year because my son has a field trip to AK on a Friday but overall I wouldn't expect FL attendance to be high. FCAT exams run from the 15th -25th.

Weather in April is usually quite pleasant. Most years it doesn't get really hot until May. If the heat is what makes you take a break you should be fine.

You're trip plan sounds great. If Soarin' and Test Track are your must dos at Epcot, I would stick with that plan so you get them both done and then can relax the rest of the day.

Have fun!
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

You all are going to have such a great time!! And happy early birthday!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip! We may be there the same time as you are! We went last year at that time and it was steady, but not nuts. The only thing we missed out on was Fantasmic. We weren't willing to go 2 hours ahead and therefore could never find a seat.

Let's just hope it warms up down there! The weather report the last few days has been too cold!!!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a wonderful trip we have 17 days left until our trip, hope to post a pre trip report myself.
    Sean
    So many Happy Trips!

6/30/12 through 7/10/12 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/11 through 1/4/12 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/10 thorugh 1/4/11 Fort Wilderness!

7/1/10 through 7/14/10 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/09 through 1/4/10 Fort Wilderness!

7/1/10 through 7/11/10 Fort Wilderness!

Post Thanks / Like

We're back!

Trip was wonderful. Lengthy trip report in progress, as well as photos being posted. Watch for a new thread in the next few days!

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    We're back!

Trip was wonderful. Lengthy trip report in progress, as well as photos being posted. Watch for a new thread in the next few days!

Kathy
    Loved seeing the Facebook pics, looking forward to reading your report!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: