Quantcast Italy tips?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Italy tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Italy tips?

My BF and I want to go to Italy in September. I have never been to Europe. I am usually very good at planning travel however this trip is proving to be challenging because I just don't know much about Italy and all my google searching and Rick Steve's podcasts have not helped.
    I have always wanted to go bike riding thru Tuscany and I think we would love the Amalfi Coast area, specifically Positano. We both have busy demanding jobs and 10 days is about the extent that we think we could take off from work.
    We are really stressing over whether we can do both and not feel completely rushed. I am thinking we have to fly into Naples to get to Positano (4 nights in Positano) then train to Florence/cab to Tuscany area then 3 nights in Tuscany then 1 night in Florence to fly home next morning. (Flight travel eats up the other 2 days)
    If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, or input I would love to hear it.
    Thanks!!!

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Try not to try to visit too many cities in a short period of time. I made that mistake the first time we went to Italy. I don't see Rome as one of your destinations. Rome is beautiful and has so much to see. (one of my favorites) I can't comment on Naples, Amalfi Coast or Positano, because we have never been there. Florence and surrounding area are also very beautiful. I use a travel website that might help you out with some of your questions.
    Trip advisor has a forum, hotel ratings, restuarants etc. I find it very useful for hotel advice as well as for any questions I might have.
    Last edited by NJGIRL; 03-27-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: outside websites not allowed
    *A dream is a wish your heart makes*

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to Venice, Rome, Sorrento & Sicily. If you are planning to visit any of these places I can help you out.

I can also try to find my trip report from 2009.

In general my biggest tip would be to try to make the flight at night going out and early in the day coming home.

Also pack as light as possible. Taking luggage on and off of trains in Italy is a pain. You only have minutes to get off of the train before it leaves again.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that almost got me in Florence was the train. They don't show the names of all the places they're stopping, just the last stop. We almost missed our train to Venice because we kept looking for a train with that name on it.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

First and best advice -if you don't already know some, learn a few of the basic italian phrases. Things like ordering in a restaurant, or asking directions, etc. Almost all Italians understand English -but they will play dumb if you don't try to speak their language ... Any attempt at all will generally provide positive results.

Second, look up Il Canto del Sole(Tuscany) on trip advisor -you can thank me later. This of course if you're looking for a true Tuscan experience -no harm if you prefer 5-star accommodations, but trust me, the owners are the nicest people you will ever meet. The reviews in T/A will speak for themselves.

Third, I'm guessing you are relatively young -if you visit Tuscany, rent a car. I was slightly hesitant but we ended up having the time of our lives -it was especially fun when roads turned into people's backyards! Oh... With GPS and they are almost all 5-speeds, but the roads are made for that.

Ciao.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the Amalfi Coast -- one of the most beautiful drives I've ever been on. The little town of Ravello is a great place to stop for a meal. At the end you are very near Pompeii which is fascinating and worth a couple of hours.

was less enchanted with Florence but everyone has their own favorites.

You really can't go wrong -- so many wonderful cities in Italy.

Post Thanks / Like

There is nowhere in the world as beautiful as the Amalfi coast. Just my humble opinion.

With only about a week of "there" days, I would personally choose one area and concentrate on that area.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAN View Post
    Almost all Italians understand English -but they will play dumb if you don't try to speak their language ...

I did not find this to be true. While learning a little Italian couldn't hurt, and might even be fun, we never had anyone playing dumb with us.
    What we did find was most Italians speaking English in the hotels, restaurants, and shops....until we got to Sicily, which was a whole different experience. Fewer people spoke English and it was a more traditional atmosphere. I never found anyone to be playing games with us.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I did not find this to be true. While learning a little Italian couldn't hurt, and might even be fun, we never had anyone playing dumb with us.
    What we did find was most Italians speaking English in the hotels, restaurants, and shops....until we got to Sicily, which was a whole different experience. Fewer people spoke English and it was a more traditional atmosphere. I never found anyone to be playing games with us.
    That was my experience too, Rita, at least in Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan. Italians generally were very helpful and there was usually someone who could speak English. If there was not, hand gestures on both sides helped get the message across.

To the OP--as mentioned above, I'm afraid that I do not have much experience with the areas that you want to visit, with the exception of Florence and a brief drive along the Amalfi Coast during a side trip to Capri and Pompeii many years ago (the whole area of which is very pretty). You were not planning on bike-riding along the coast, were you? That would be quite scary, IMO, with the narrows roads and all the traffic.

I thought Florence was a beautiful city and remember seeing Michelangelo's David in the wonderful Accademia Gallery. As a historical city I enjoyed Rome more, but Florence has some amazing historical sites too.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    You were not planning on bike-riding along the coast, were you? That would be quite scary, IMO, with the narrows roads and all the traffic.
    Beth, I laughed when I read this. That is one thing I have to say. The Italians are crazy drivers and I'm not sure if I would bike ride anywhere that there are cars on the road.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    That was my experience too, Rita, at least in Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan. Italians generally were very helpful and there was usually someone who could speak English. If there was not, hand gestures on both sides helped get the message across.

To the OP--as mentioned above, I'm afraid that I do not have much experience with the areas that you want to visit, with the exception of Florence and a brief drive along the Amalfi Coast during a side trip to Capri and Pompeii many years ago (the whole area of which is very pretty). You were not planning on bike-riding along the coast, were you? That would be quite scary, IMO, with the narrows roads and all the traffic.

I thought Florence was a beautiful city and remember seeing Michelangelo's David in the wonderful Accademia Gallery. As a historical city I enjoyed Rome more, but Florence has some amazing historical sites too.
    In Rome, almost everyone speaks English -which is one reason I didn't care for it as much as other areas. When I'm in a restaurant in Italy, I really don't want the waiter approaching my table speaking English to me. They do a pretty good job spotting American tourists I guess.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Beth, I laughed when I read this. That is one thing I have to say. The Italians are crazy drivers and I'm not sure if I would bike ride anywhere that there are cars on the road.
    Amen to that! It was scary enough being in the tour bus on those roads. I can't imagine riding a bike or driving.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: