Quantcast Le Cellier, Why the bad rep?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Le Cellier, Why the bad rep?

We haven't eaten at Le Cellier since 2007. We enjoyed our meal during that experience but it didnt stand out enough to become a must do on our next trips. From everything I've been reading recently, Le Cellier has gotten a pretty bad reputation over the last few years. Why is this? Can anyone speak to their experiences within the past year and help us decide if this should be a lunch destination for us? We are on the deluxe dining plan and love steak.
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Le Cellier was a very hard to get reservation until a couple of years ago. Up until that time, it had a lower priced luncheon menu and a decently priced dinner menu which served excellent steak. Plus, for those on the dining plan, it only used 1 table service.

A couple of years ago, Disney changed the rating on this restaurant and made it a deluxe dining establishment requiring the use of 2 table service credits instead of 1. The did the thin the tables out slightly and claim they moved to a higher grade beef (Personally, I didn't notice a difference in the filet mignon I ordered before the change and the one I ordered after the change). Additionally, they now have one menu regardless of whether you eat there for dinner or lunch.

Many folks have, therefore, decided this restaurant is no longer worth the cost. I don't think the food has gotten a bad reputation but the administrative changes certainly have.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You can read through this, it is current.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=198420
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We ate at Le Cellier only once, back in 2009. I thought it was just fine - we liked the Canadian Rockies ambiance and the service was fine. I expected more because of all the hype. I know the specialty is steak, but the only think I can remember is the beer cheese soup and pretzel bread! Yum. But not worth the 2 TS points or all the hype. I think for me it's one of those did it once, don't have to do it again restaurants.

If you're going because you're a steak aficionado, I think there are opinions out there as to other restaurants that have better steak. Anyone want to weigh in?
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's good, fairly consistent, but not great. If you're on the Deluxe DDP and you love steak, it's not a bad choice. I prefer it to Yachtsman Steakhouse, but it's not as good as Shula's (which isn't on the plan). I would also add that a lot of the Signature restaurants might not specialize in steak, but they each have one or two phenomenal steak dishes. Usually filet mignon, though. So if you're really after a good ribeye or NY strip, it might be harder to find but check out the menus.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's any better or worse than other Signature restaurants, we enjoyed our meal there last year and actually have reservations to go back in June. We pay OOP with TIW so the DDP has not effect on us.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

It's always been Outback-Steakhouse level food, but it gets the bad rap recently because Disney upped it to the 2 TS / Signature level cost.

Post Thanks / Like

My DW & I had a "Kids night out" dinner there last June during our last visit. We were on the "normal" dining plan and didn't feel we wanted to use two TS credits for this experience, so we paid Out of Pocket for our experience. Now being this was our one date night meal for Mom & Dad we went full bore - appetizer, entree / steak a nice bottle of wine and dessert. The atmosphere was very nice (dark but nice) our server equally pleasant and the food was good.. Not spectacular but good. Now here is where you need to decide if it worth it for you or not as our experience cost with tip $260, we enjoyed this and were glad we had tried it as we were never able to get a seating back when it only cost 1 TS credit, but we won't be going back anytime soon as there are better dining locals at WDW for less $$$.
    California Grill to name one.
    We hope you enjoy!
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    We pay OOP with TIW so the DDP has not effect on us.
    Well it kindof does, since the same menu is offered to those on the plan and those off. You're still limited to the choices they have that fit within their acceptable profit margin between the cost of the food and the reimbursement for two table service credits from Disney.

I feel if I want to order a $75 steak I should be able to, but because its not on the menu (because they can't offer it to those on the plan and make money) I can't... That's what bugs me most about the DDP.

The above says to me, they don't want my money, which is why I have not been back in years...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Well it kindof does, since the same menu is offered to those on the plan and those off. You're still limited to the choices they have that fit within their acceptable profit margin between the cost of the food and the reimbursement for two table service credits from Disney.
    Totally agree! What I've found though is because appys are not included, many of the chefs use appetizers to showcase their talents (imo this is true in all signatures). While DS16 still gets a plain entree, we've been known to order a mix of appetizers/salads and a bottle of wine and make a meal out of it. It think the last time at LeCellier DH & I split clams, scallops, and a Canadian antipasto and they were all wonderful.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up best meal we had

My family & I love steak and the filet at Le cellier was the best meal we had on the trip. The service was great, and the food was perfect. The pretzel bread and cheese soup were good but the filet was fantastic, The chocolate "moose" is to die for...so creamy.

We loved our lunch there and I would highly recommend it.
    Port Orleans French Quarter July 2016[/B][/COLOR]
    Port Orleans French Quarter & Wilderness Lodge June/July 2012
    Port Orleans French Quarter August 2010
    Port Orleans French Quarter-August 2007
    Disney Land- October 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter-July 2005
    Many trips off-site as a child

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Le Cellier is "bad" at all, but I don't think it ever measured up to it's old reputation of being the "greatest restaurant ever" at WDW either. (which led to it being so hard to get ADRs for) It was over-rated for years, and now the 2TS plan has hurt that rating somewhat. Every time we ate there I would describe it as great service and really good food. But I would also give the same rating to our local Outback steakhouse. Nothing too special about that.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Is the broth of the cheese soup made with bacon or is it just sprinkled on top?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CynBeth View Post
    Is the broth of the cheese soup made with bacon or is it just sprinkled on top?

Here's the recipe.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Price

The food was ok just not worth the price especially when they raised it to a signature meal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madhatterrules View Post
    My family & I love steak and the filet at Le cellier was the best meal we had on the trip. The service was great, and the food was perfect. The pretzel bread and cheese soup were good but the filet was fantastic, The chocolate "moose" is to die for...so creamy.

We loved our lunch there and I would highly recommend it.
    Except that, according to the new all-day menu, the Chocolate Mousse is gone. Sorry! That was my wife's favorite as well.

The wife and I will be there in about ten days. Gonna give it a shot, though I know the bill is gonna hurt.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember eating there 20+ yrs ago, when it was cafeteria style.
    We have eaten there recently, too. In 2009, 2010 and also last Sept. While we are really not thrilled with it being over-priced, we always enjoy our meals.
    Love the soup, and the steaks.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PETE FROM NYC View Post
    I remember eating there 20+ yrs ago, when it was cafeteria style.
    I had almost forgotten about that! It was like that the first time we dined there as well. After that, it was a number of years before we went back.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

.....I'd not label it "bad" ...because "bad" would need to be an all inclusive, universal assessment from all patrons that dine there ...including us.

...I'd say that it's a restaurant that's "slipped" from what really was in the 'signature' dining category (if there really deserved to be one) ...to only a good restaurant that is inconsistent regarding both food choice / offering and service provided.

...our first dinner there was memorable ...from the food ...to the impeccable service provided by what I can only label as a "Professional Waiter".

...our second dinner there was a far level lower in food and most importantly (to me) the service provided by the waiter ...who I would have no issue with labeling as a "kid looking to have a job". If I'm paying 'signature prices' (WDW speak for EXPENSIVE) ...I deserve a waiter that will guide me through food and drink selection ....not someone that just brings the food and then the check.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

OP, I have always felt completely opposite. I've always wondered why all the hype for this place. We tried it twice back when it was only 1 TS credit. We tried it for lunch first, then for dinner. Both times I came away thinking it wasn't as good as we were expecting based on the rave reviews I'd read.

Now, I think what has happened is people just don't think it's worth the 2 TS credits. Even some who have loved it in the past are now saying it's just not worth it.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: