Quantcast GAC abuse to be discussed on Today Show

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GAC abuse to be discussed on Today Show

Just FYI for those interested:

On the Today Show tomorrow morning (5/31), Jeff Rossen will be discussing his investigation on the GAC/line skipping abuse at Disney. The preview showed undercover cameras following a family through this process.
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be nice if they find a way to crack down on abusers of GAC's.

It is a great accommodation for people who really need it, and helps them more thoroughly enjoy their time in the parks.

Like so many other things though there are people who abuse it and use it to their advantage when they should not even be entitled to it in the first place.

I think it is right up there with people who park in handicap spots who really have no need to. People who receive government aid because they know how to hide a huge portion of their income, etc.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two sides

I see two sides of this story. My immediate family is fortunate. We do not have the need for these. So we don't use them.

I have a nephew who is autistic. You don't "see" it at first glance. But his Mom would never take him to some place like Disney without a plan. I wanted to take her family for a visit with us for Star Wars weekends 2014. He is a fanatic. He probably knows more about Star Wars than Gary (gasp). I told her about GAC. It would be nice if she would be able to be in line with him and take him out if needed but still keep their spot. All he needs sometimes is a break from the crowd. The thing is.... you can't see it by looking at him. A few minutes of conversation or witnessing a breakdown, you'll know. But that is uncomfortable for him, his Mom, and everyone around to witness.

I have a brother-in-law that has Cerebral Atrophy. Its like MS. He walks and talks like he's drunk. A lot of people make assumptions... until they see his walker.

I'm guilty.... I've looked at the person get an electric scooter from regular walking strides, have kids ride along with them and watched 20 people walk into the speed entrance with them and had to stop myself from thinking bad things.

Disney's problem is how do they ask the person what their medical condition is and what constitutes what type of pass? Is it the Autism where the kid can sometimes take a line and sometimes will have issues with a line (noises, etc.)? Is it my brother in law where he can't walk more than a few steps without a walker but is a 40 year old man?

I see the abuse too. I just want to protect the people who need it. I'm sure Disney does as well.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

I'll profess up front that I'm really not familiar with the law, but I have to say I find it a bit hard to believe that Disney isn't allowed to ask for proof of disability before providing an accomodation to a guest.

I understand medical privacy laws, but I wouldn't think they'd apply in a situation where a person is actively seeking an accomodation in relation to a medical condition.

At the very least, I'd think they'd be able to ask for a doctor's note authorizing the use of a GAC ... even if it didn't contain medical specifics it would help cut out some of the abuses.

Although in fairness, the individual exploiting this loophole in the investigation was legitimately entitled to a GAC, they just chose to abuse the privilege by essentially "selling" it to other guests.

Again, though ... I really don't know all the specific regulations here so it's highly likely I'm off base. I'm just trying to use some common sense, which rarely (if ever) has any value when interpreting the American legal system.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'll profess up front that I'm really not familiar with the law, but I have to say I find it a bit hard to believe that Disney isn't allowed to ask for proof of disability before providing an accomodation to a guest.

I understand medical privacy laws, but I wouldn't think they'd apply in a situation where a person is actively seeking an accomodation in relation to a medical condition.

At the very least, I'd think they'd be able to ask for a doctor's note authorizing the use of a GAC ... even if it didn't contain medical specifics it would help cut out some of the abuses.

Although in fairness, the individual exploiting this loophole in the investigation was legitimately entitled to a GAC, they just chose to abuse the privilege by essentially "selling" it to other guests.

Again, though ... I really don't know all the specific regulations here so it's highly likely I'm off base. I'm just trying to use some common sense, which rarely (if ever) has any value when interpreting the American legal system.
    I totally agree with you Ian. My sons are both on the Autism Spectrum, but only one really needs the GAC. I would have NO issue proving his diagnosis by showing medical paperwork that indicates such.

If you have a LEGITIMATE need for a GAC, chances are, you ALSO have supportive documentation showing you indeed have a medical or mental condition that would cause need for a GAC.

The issue here is that somehow, ADA laws have found their way into Disney's issuance of a convenience pass on their own private property, which is something I don't understand. I can understand ADA laws in place to protect people's rights to EQUAL accessibility, use of service animals in the parks, etc. But, it's ridiculous that Disney can't ask for proof of need for a GAC. I think they probably CAN, but they are choosing not to. They are not obligated by ADA laws to offer a GAC, it is something they have chosen to do, so I don't understand why ADA privacy laws are in play at all.

If you don't want to show proof of your need for a GAC, don't get one. Simple.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I think they probably CAN, but they are choosing not to.
    Your interpretion of the situation and mine are 100% aligned.

Perhaps this recent negative publicity will prompt them to re-evaluate the situation. I think it's unfortunate that the folks who legitimately need these cards will be negatively impacted by the behavior of a few bad apples, but unfortunately that's just the reality of the world we live in today.
    Last edited by Ian; 05-30-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone assessment but if I was Disney I would leave the system as is....

I have a sister with CP, we will be taking her to the world in Sept, it is a once in a lifetime trip for her.

My question to everyone... Would we ruin a system that truly benefits those who need it to prevent the abuse of a few people. I'm sure if you look at the percentage of abusers compared to total GAC users it would be lucky to break 3%

Do I find those people disgusting? Yes... But I do not believe it is a large enough issue to burden with more regulations and rules that the abusers will just find new loopholes for.
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to ask a couple of questions and take a minute to think about the answer. How many times can you remember the media over playing a story for ratings? How often does the media play on our emotions to get us to watch? I am hoping the interest in this story will wane sooner rather then later. Because this kind of publicity will only hurt those who need to use Gac.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    I would like to ask a couple of questions and take a minute to think about the answer. How many times can you remember the media over playing a story for ratings? How often does the media play on our emotions to get us to watch? I am hoping the interest in this story will wane sooner rather then later. Because this kind of publicity will only hurt those who need to use Gac.
    Exactly! I don't think there is as much *abuse* as the media is making it out to be. I've probably spent a few months in the parks in the past 10 years. Never has a GAC guest adversely affected my park experience.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

After working in attractions, I can tell you that there is abuse unfortunately. I don't let it bother me though, as I feel fortunate I don't need to use one
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

That is my thought exactly, wont this bring out the worst in people by showing them that there is a way to beat the system at Disney World. I have a family member that gets this pass and he is walking, talking with no visual symptoms to show what he has (MS) and it would be crazy for him to have to PROVE in some way he needs this pass i.e. medical records EACH time he goes to Disney. He can only ride a few things in a visit so he really isn’t hurting anyone by getting a pass to move forward in a line. The pass usually allows him to go through the FP entrance which at times is longer than the regular line. It just makes it easier for him as the line is always moving. I have been with him when he has asked for the pass and the cast member couldn’t be nicer to him. They never ask what is the problem or anything they are just there to fill out the card and send him on his way. I would hate for him to have to explain “well it all started when I was a baby” I was diagnosed with this illness and here are the papers to prove it” “NOW can I go and start to have fun” And what if they don’t believe him would they bring out a team of experts to make sure he has it.. I just think it’s a nice thing they offer to make a guest have a better day and if people abuse it they will get theirs in the end.

it is very sad that the women in the story SOLD her illness to a family to make money. I guess nothing suprises me anymore
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    Exactly! I don't think there is as much *abuse* as the media is making it out to be. I've probably spent a few months in the parks in the past 10 years. Never has a GAC guest adversely affected my park experience.
    This is a good point. I was watching the news last night and they reported on the gun at AK and instead of it being someone found a loaded gun it became "TERROR AT DISNEY" like people were running out of dinosaur because there was one gun
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephicakes View Post
    Just FYI for those interested:

On the Today Show tomorrow morning (5/31), Jeff Rossen will be discussing his investigation on the GAC/line skipping abuse at Disney. The preview showed undercover cameras following a family through this process.
    Please remember who owns NBC. I'm sure they won't be pointing out that Universal does not offer ANY kind of pass for people in need of assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    After working in attractions, I can tell you that there is abuse unfortunately. I don't let it bother me though, as I feel fortunate I don't need to use one
    I agree that while there is abuse, I think it is a much smaller percentage than people are making it out to be. For the record, we are almost never asked to show a GAC when we take Mom into a ride or attraction. Only thing they ask is if she can transfer or not, which she usually cannot unless the transfer does not involve stepping down or up (it is very difficult for her to step into and out of a boat, for example).
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Abuse happens in a lot of things. I don't like it but I like to think there are still far more good people than those lacking ethics.

I think it's a great show of character [and not in a good way], on the family that chose to let the cameras come with them. It's sad what they are teaching their children.

As a mom of an autistic child, we utilize GAC. I absolutely can provide proof from the doctor. However, I do think it would be an infringement on my personal rights since it is outside of a medical or educational [IEP] setting. And honestly, if they start doing that, people will find a way to 'fake' the proof as well.

But by the same token, whatever will be, will be and whatever Disney wants/needs/changes, I will do in order for my son to continue to have a magical time.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and she was happy to know that there were options if she needed it. surprisingly tho she never used it or needed it. my philosophy is im glad its there and if i ever need it ill take advantage of it but reality is i dont mind waiting and looking around...
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

I think part of the problem is accommodating folks who have temporary issues versus those with chronic issues. For example, a few years ago, I had foot surgery. For our first trip after that surgery, I was not sure whether or not I'd have the walking stamina required for a Disney World trip and left often the possibility of renting an ECV. In the end, I was able to do what I wanted by taking things slowly and returning to the resort when tired. What about the person who breaks his/her leg the day before their Disney trip?

The other possibly complicating factor here is that, these days, almost everyone qualifies as disabled. Even if you don't consider yourself disabled, you may in fact qualify as a person with a disability. Under changes that occurred with the Americans with Disabilities Act a couple of years ago, mitigating factors aren't considered in determining whether or not someone has a disability. So, someone with diabetes, well controlled with diet and/or insulin would still be considered a person with a disability because you can't take into account the fact that it is well controlled by diet and medication.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Linda, the GAC is separate from the need for a wheelchair/ECV. The abuse of the GAC happens because it is meant to address "invisible" disabilities, not obvious, mobility impairing ones.

You do not need to provide proof of disability to rent a mobility device, and the use of one does not require having a GAC. The mobility device identifies a guest as having a disability and CMs automatically handle it as the situation dictates.

This is a different issue as a GAC often does result in immediate ride access. It has in our experience, except for Radiator Springs Racers. This makes the GAC a "valuable" item to have.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense, Nat. Guess I was talking about disabilities in general. There are certainly many folks with hidden disabilities - many folks with developmental disabilities would not have an apparent disability and should have access to an appropriate accommodation such as GAC.

I never assume that anyone is using a service to which they are not entitled. If, however, anyone is taking advantage of someone else by using a service not intended for them, they should be ashamed of themselves!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

One word for people that use a GAC who do not need it to get on a ride quicker- KARMA.

Why not spend your money on one of the VIP tours Disney offers and do the right thing.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    I think it's a great show of character [and not in a good way], on the family that chose to let the cameras come with them. It's sad what they are teaching their children.
    I don't think it was a random family who were breaking the rules on their own. They were in on the whole thing with Jeff Rossen. They were "asked' to hire these people (scum) to hep uncover the scam.

The people who were hired had no remorse when busted. They tried to make it sound like a legitimate business in a capitalistic country. said no laws are broken, it is just an issue of morals. Isn't being moraly incorrect enough for it to be wrong? It just shows how scummy these people doing this really are.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: