Quantcast Teenager with POTS

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teenager with POTS

I told my daughter I would post to see if anyone has any suggestions.
    She has a definite "hidden disability" with POTS which falls under dysautonomia. She has good days and bad. Definitely better now that she is on the right meds and therapies. She attends martial arts and is in the marching band but they are all aware of what to watch for. Her biggest problem is heat and standing still in an upright position too long.
    I am also concerned about her riding anything that throws off her equilibrium too much but we have been to Disney many times before she got sick so she knows the ropes.
    We discussed what she might do if she suddenly feels sick. Worst case scenario is her passing out but she hasn't done that in a couple of years. She will be traveling with the Marching Band this spring break. We will be there too but staying separately and not right with her.
    We are wondering about the appropriateness of her having a GAC for "just in case" or if she could wait to get one if she needs it but then I'm afraid it might be too late. I know this is ultimately our decision but any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    11/93 off-site last trip pre-child
    12/01 ASMovies first trip for kids
    10/04 POFQ
    02/09 Pop and first cruise on Wonder
    03/10 POFQ trip to see CFHS Tiger Band!
    03/14 VWL to see DD2 and the CFHS Tiger Band!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess the question on the GAC would be what would you hope it would do for you? You don't really stand still much in the lines at Disney, they move along, and the GAC isn't a "front of the line" pass. What it might do is allow her to wait in a different area that might not be as hot, but sometimes you have to stand around more there. Spring break time also usually isn't too hot so hopefully that won't be an issue for her.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I would honestly still get an alternate entrance area GAC - our son does not have HOPS but what he does have can result in syncope. We keep our GAC now so just give the one from year before or I could spell out exactly what they are called.

My vote is get the thing. Better to have and not use than need it and not have.
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I would say get the pass. Just in case. She will be with her friends and might not even need it, but just in case she does its better to have it then have to go in the middle of the day to get one. It's not going to put her at the front of the line,but it will move her through faster it serves as a fast pass on most rides.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    I would say get the pass. Just in case. She will be with her friends and might not even need it, but just in case she does its better to have it then have to go in the middle of the day to get one. It's not going to put her at the front of the line,but it will move her through faster it serves as a fast pass on most rides.
    I agree you're better off being more safe than sorry
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

I would get one for two reasons. First, she'll have it if she needs it (weather she is with you or with friends). Second, if something does happen she will have it on her and people will be aware of the situation instead of treating it like a new event and the panic that involves. Imho.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad that you posted this question! My daughter also has POTS and most people look at me like I have 4 eyes when I mention it to them. I'm interested to see what others recommend about the GAC because we've been debating whether to get it when she goes in April and we when visit in June. Hope your daughter has a great year!
    Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next trip...
    May 2016 - Pop Century
    Last trip...
    June 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village
    Many before that I can't remember dates...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pookiebear38 View Post
    I am so glad that you posted this question! My daughter also has POTS and most people look at me like I have 4 eyes when I mention it to them. I'm interested to see what others recommend about the GAC because we've been debating whether to get it when she goes in April and we when visit in June. Hope your daughter has a great year!
    Thanks for all the input. It is helping us in our discussion. We've decided its good to have just in case. She would rather not miss many of the fun ques. However she is also aware it's not a front of the line pass. I'm always grateful when I hear from others dealing with this. I sure know the feeling of being looked at as though I have to heads! Those that minimize her illness or think she is faking. Hope you have found some of the FB support groups. Pm me if you need some names.
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    10/04 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I too would say get the GAC to have just in case. I also assume that the band chaperones and her close friends are aware of her situation and know what to do to help mitigate the possibility of any issues happening. Teens especially may not say they are not feeling well or ask for help until it is too late. Always good to have other eyes to help us out.
    2001--First time for DS and me!
    2004--First time for DD!
    2007--First time at Poly!
    2013--Thanksgiving with Mickey & good friends!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree get the pass. I suffer from pots due to Lyme disease and this pass has helped because in some attractions I can sit in an alternative wait area. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful trip
    Casey~A Disney obsessed wife and mommy to 5 princess under the age of 9!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't checked back in quite awhile but wanted to thank those who responded. We are three weeks out and making lists/checking them twice for what she needs. Found lots of info on those that use the camelbaks for hydration. I'm more worried about her at Universal as they are going there for a day and we are too at the end of our trip. Being a teen, no matter what illness you have, you just want to be normal and tend to push it. She will have friends/chaperones that are aware and we will be just a phone call away. I'm having trouble finding info on Universal thread about disabilities. Their pamphlet only list info on blind/deaf, wheelchairs and O2. Can anyone direct me? Thanks again!
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    10/04 POFQ