Quantcast long lines and fastpass+

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default long lines and fastpass+

Just got back from the world today. The lines were very long. Epcot and MK were very crowded and AK and DHS was not super crowded but still long lines. I stayed for 10 days for the first few days the lines were ok normal wait times. Then we noticed more and more magic bands and the wait times got longer. Some which never have a wait time now had absurd wait times. For example 120 minutes for the Great Movie Ride? The lines were not so long but the wait time was very high. Even Fast Pass had to wait at least 20 minutes to get on some rides, BTMR, SM, TSM,ToT ect.
    We had a fast pass for TSM and noticed no line outside for standby and no line inside the first room either. I asked the CM if the 120 minute wait time was correct and he said "it is probably longer". The standby line was shorter than the fast pass line but taking 3-4 times longer??? This is the reason given to me by that CM. Fast pass and Fastpass+ go on first with few standby people getting filtered in every couple of minutes. For TSM their are 4 lines with the tiers being as follows- first on FP+ then FP then Single riders, and last standby.
    The FP+ in MHO has made all lines longer and if you do not have it getting on some of your favorite attractions is not likely.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh joy, not exactly what I wanted to hear. Hopefully the normally low crowds the last week in August will help us out.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

It's simple math. The more people using FPs of any nature (regular or FP+), the longer the standby lines will be. Disney wants guests to use the FP system, so making standby waits longer is a great way to make guests choose to use it. There's a reason that Disney wants guests to become "hooked" on using the FP+ system as it becomes fully implemented. It will become apparent in a year or two, once everyone is addicted to them.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

The Great Movie Ride was the longest line we stood in at DHS in June, but no where near 2 hours, more like 20 minutes. I really find that hard to believe it was that long.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy Creek Buccaneer View Post
    The Great Movie Ride was the longest line we stood in at DHS in June, but no where near 2 hours, more like 20 minutes. I really find that hard to believe it was that long.
    Me too. For it to be that long would require people continuing to get in it, and at a certain point, they'd bypass it. I highly doubt that point is at 120 minutes for GMR.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this is not going to become the norm now. We leave in 5 days, not testing fastpass+ and not looking forward to standby times like that.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    It's simple math. The more people using FPs of any nature (regular or FP+), the longer the standby lines will be. Disney wants guests to use the FP system, so making standby waits longer is a great way to make guests choose to use it. There's a reason that Disney wants guests to become "hooked" on using the FP+ system as it becomes fully implemented. It will become apparent in a year or two, once everyone is addicted to them.
    I don't understand why Disney wants people to use fast pass when it just causes long lines and frustrated guests. I use the fast pass system but you can only hold one and if that time is hours away you have to wait in long standby lines. I got a FP for the boat ride in Norway!? I never had to do that before.
    I stayed at BC and did not have a choice to use the magic band. I talked to a lot of people on the bus who had the band and they were not thrilled with having them. Also I felt a twinge of something watching people with the bands get right onto rides.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

This is what confuses me about regular FastPass continuing to run with the FastPass+ system. Perhaps a CM can come along and shed more light, or maybe this was addressed in another thread that I missed, but are there now MORE FastPasses given out because the two systems are running, or are the numbers of regular ones reduced? If it was the same amount, you wouldn't think it would affect the lines in such a drastic way. I would think, like waymickey said, that Disney DOESN'T want you waiting in line because you can't spend money in the line.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

WDW continues to be a dynamic place with many influences on park attendance and attraction wait times. The Disney management bean counters can probably tell you exactly why the parks seem crowded and the lines are long and what effect Fast Pass Plus has had on wait times. I have a much more limited view, but I can at least pass on a few observations.

First of all, the parks seem more crowded than usual because they are. I'm not allowed to discuss attendance numbers, but I can tell you that they are up. Resort occupancy is up, merchandise revenue is up, and dining ADRs are hard to get.

So it's no surprise to me that the attraction wait times are also up. This summer the wait times where I work have often been 90 minutes or more. We have seen many waits in excess of 120 minutes, which was unheard of just a couple of years ago.

So how much of an impact has MyMagic+ and FP+ had on all of this? Not much, as far as I can tell. Remember that FP+ is still in a test phase, and a pretty limited test at that. The only participants so far are those staying at a handful of Disney resorts, and then only those guests who have bothered to set up an MDE account. Will you see guests with wristbands in the parks? Sure, they tend to stand out. But I'm not seeing much of an impact.

Earlier this week I worked the Fast Pass Return position at a major AK attraction. We were running the familiar old FP system and also accepting FP+ wristbands. In an hour's time I admitted perhaps 30 guests with the wristbands, not enough to cause even a small blip in the standby wait time. The only impact that I noticed was that the Fast Pass Return entrance was sometimes jammed up because of problems with the wristbands. So, if anything, the FP line was affected, not the standby.

I can't speak for every WDW attraction, but at ours guests with the wristbands are not given any entrance priority over those holding the paper FPs. There has been no change to the ratio of standbys vs FPs at the merge point.

So far the number of available paper FPs has not been reduced to compensate for those with wristbands. That may change as FP+ users become more numerous. And eventually the paper FPs and their distribution machines will go away completely.

As the CMs know only too well, the only thing constant at WDW is change.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

FP+ is the one thing in all my planning I haven't been paying much attention to. What's the current deal with it? Which resorts and dates? Every time I log into MDE it gives me a popup about "linking" my reservations, but nothing happens. There are also links to manage wristbands and choose FP+, but nothing happens when you click on them.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post

First of all, the parks seem more crowded than usual because they are. I'm not allowed to discuss attendance numbers, but I can tell you that they are up. Resort occupancy is up, merchandise revenue is up, and dining ADRs are hard to get.
    I don't doubt this at all. The parks especially MK were jammed when I was there last week. MY resort was hopping and the bus lines were also very long. But I spent much LESS money this vacation then I have in the past. I did not spend money on dinning since I could not get ADRs and I did not spend money on merchandise because it was all the same nothing new. I spent half of what I normally do and left thinking that next year I would either just go on the Disney cruise or go to the beach.
    Honestly the lines just ruined for me. I waited in line for Splash Mtn and it broke down before I got on, I waited in line for BTM and it broke before I got on, I waited in line for jungle cruise and lightening caused all outdoor rides to shut down before I got on. I spent more time in lines then on attractions and even with a a fast pass for BTM I did not get on since the weather forced it to close for the night.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just curious as to why you aren't allowed to discuss attendance numbers?
    77-85:Day Trips at Easter
    88:Fort Wilderness
    91:Swan(Honeymoon)
    99:Wilderness Lodge
    00:Caribbean Beach
    02:POR
    03:Coronado Springs/Polynesian
    04:POR/Polynesian
    06:POR
    07:POR
    08:POR
    09:Polynesian

12:POR
    14:POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by We LOVE Disney View Post
    I'm just curious as to why you aren't allowed to discuss attendance numbers?
    Ron probably has to sign forms saying he will not divulge any company information that is not put out for public record. I sign similar forms with Comcast NBC Universal. Violating these policies are grounds for termination.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Ron probably has to sign forms saying he will not divulge any company information that is not put out for public record. I sign similar forms with Comcast NBC Universal. Violating these policies are grounds for termination.
    Ok. Makes sense. Thanks
    77-85:Day Trips at Easter
    88:Fort Wilderness
    91:Swan(Honeymoon)
    99:Wilderness Lodge
    00:Caribbean Beach
    02:POR
    03:Coronado Springs/Polynesian
    04:POR/Polynesian
    06:POR
    07:POR
    08:POR
    09:Polynesian

12:POR
    14:POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Right. Disney does not make park attendance information public. Neither does Universal Studios or Seaworld. The numbers are considered proprietary.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

WDW continues to be a dynamic place with many influences on park attendance and attraction wait times. The Disney management bean counters can probably tell you exactly why the parks seem crowded and the lines are long and what effect Fast Pass Plus has had on wait times. I have a much more limited view, but I can at least pass on a few observations.

So it's no surprise to me that the attraction wait times are also up. This summer the wait times where I work have often been 90 minutes or more. We have seen many waits in excess of 120 minutes, which was unheard of just a couple of years ago.

So how much of an impact has MyMagic+ and FP+ had on all of this? Not much, as far as I can tell. Remember that FP+ is still in a test phase, and a pretty limited test at that. The only participants so far are those staying at a handful of Disney resorts, and then only those guests who have bothered to set up an MDE account. Will you see guests with wristbands in the parks? Sure, they tend to stand out. But I'm not seeing much of an impact.

Earlier this week I worked the Fast Pass Return position at a major AK attraction. We were running the familiar old FP system and also accepting FP+ wristbands. In an hour's time I admitted perhaps 30 guests with the wristbands, not enough to cause even a small blip in the standby wait time. The only impact that I noticed was that the Fast Pass Return entrance was sometimes jammed up because of problems with the wristbands. So, if anything, the FP line was affected, not the standby.

I can't speak for every WDW attraction, but at ours guests with the wristbands are not given any entrance priority over those holding the paper FPs. There has been no change to the ratio of standbys vs FPs at the merge point.

So far the number of available paper FPs has not been reduced to compensate for those with wristbands. That may change as FP+ users become more numerous. And eventually the paper FPs and their distribution machines will go away completely.

As the CMs know only too well, the only thing constant at WDW is change.
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure when FP+ is out of test phase and running throughout the park that many people will complain that it's making standby lines too long. But I continue to be skeptical for many reasons that I've already detailed elsewhere. Thanks for validating an earlier comment I made that when lines are long, it's because there are more people in the parks.

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    I don't doubt this at all. The parks especially MK were jammed when I was there last week. MY resort was hopping and the bus lines were also very long. But I spent much LESS money this vacation then I have in the past. I did not spend money on dinning since I could not get ADRs and I did not spend money on merchandise because it was all the same nothing new. I spent half of what I normally do and left thinking that next year I would either just go on the Disney cruise or go to the beach.
    Honestly the lines just ruined for me. I waited in line for Splash Mtn and it broke down before I got on, I waited in line for BTM and it broke before I got on, I waited in line for jungle cruise and lightening caused all outdoor rides to shut down before I got on. I spent more time in lines then on attractions and even with a a fast pass for BTM I did not get on since the weather forced it to close for the night.
    Sorry you had such bad luck for the rides, and I know how frustrating crowded parks can be. Our trip two years ago was timed to avoid crowds, but we saw some of the biggest crowds we had in years for reasons we hadn't known about beforehand. Crowds alone can really put a damper on a vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep track of wait times on the Apps on my phone at Disney and Universal just out of curiosity usually. It is the last week before a lot of schools go back in session, so it may be a slight jump in attendance these last few weeks.

A week or two ago, I also saw much more manageable wait times even mid-day in some park. I know these are user-generated but they tend to be fairly accurate. 60 for SM at 1:30pm isn't terrible during the summer, but other days it is easily 120, so clearly a lot of factors.
    "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AvonleaCF View Post
    FP+ is the one thing in all my planning I haven't been paying much attention to. What's the current deal with it? Which resorts and dates? Every time I log into MDE it gives me a popup about "linking" my reservations, but nothing happens. There are also links to manage wristbands and choose FP+, but nothing happens when you click on them.
    I've wondered the same thing. Can anyone else provide some answers?
    Thanks
    Second Star to the Right, and Straight on til Morning!

Post Thanks / Like

What will be the impact on passholders? We sometimes get up in the morning and decide to drive over for the day. Will all fast passes have to be prebooked?
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: