Quantcast Forget Fastpass+, Fastpass in General Needs a Major Overhaul. Period! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What the problem really is, is that it requires you to a lot of logistical thinking while you are on vacation.....run here grab this first fastpass, go ride these two rides/see shows, go grab second fastpass, go use first fastpass, eat, go ride/see something, grab third fastpass, run across park use second fastpass, go back and ride a couple of rides and so on.

You really have to stay mindful of when you can get a new one, when you can use the one you have, and what you can get done in between to utilize the fastpass system efficiently. I really don't like having to keep up with all of it while I am on vacation because I deal with scheduling and logistics all day long every day with my business but it does help you get more done. Probably what makes it work so well is the fact that so many people either do not understand, don't want to or simply can't utilize it efficiently which allows those of us who can to realize great benefit.

With all of that said, I personally don't want to have to plan fastpass+ 6 months in advance but I am a planner and if that is what it comes to, you can bet I will have every detail worked out in advance. I always do itineraries for what parks we will visit on what days and other activities months in advance anyway. I am sort of concerned about fastpass+ advance reservations because we found that we despise ADR's hanging over our heads every day while in the parks. We never plan dining in advance.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    At certain attractions a full day of Fastpasses are gone within an hour of the park opening. What's the sense of that?
    That's about logistics and capacity. There has to be a limit of fast passes otherwise the benefit of the fastpass would be nullified. What I mean is that everyone has the opportunity to participate if they choose to do so and there is no additional cost. Now it might require getting to the parks early but that comes with each person choice.

With FastPass+ theoretically late starters will be able to get the Fastpasses they want assuming they are willing to use MyMagic+.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Fast pass works great the FP plus is puzzling to me. Last I heard you could electronically schedule your day in the parks up to months in advance. If this is still the case it seems as though the time slots would be filled up so quickly by those ahead of the learning curve that any newbies would have to go the whole day via standby lines. Someone please shed some light here.
    2014 POR Alligator Bayou & Beach Club.
    1978-2007 Several Visits off Property.

"Come to the Tiki Room...No one ever takes a Siesta"

"Parents hold your kids by the hair and we're clear"

"I am happy to see they brought back Orange Bird!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony007 View Post
    Fastpass+ only allows 3 FPs per day (4 for MK). If you are using a magic band, you cannot use the regular fastpass.
    Yep. Gone will be the days of 5 or 6 FP. You get your 3 or 4, and the rest will be good ol' standby regardless of when you get up or how well you know your way about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jclightchasr View Post
    Fast pass works great the FP plus is puzzling to me. Last I heard you could electronically schedule your day in the parks up to months in advance. If this is still the case it seems as though the time slots would be filled up so quickly by those ahead of the learning curve that any newbies would have to go the whole day via standby lines. Someone please shed some light here.
    You book FP+ 60 days in advance... Only 3 attractions/experiences... MK may allow 4 attractions/experiences... If you snooze, you loose... So don't try to book a spur of the moment trip... It is Stand By city for you if you do...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I just realized something. If all this turns out to be true in the end, it won't eliminate the crazy rush in the morning at all for attractions like Toy Story Mania. It's just that instead of everyone making a mad dash for FPs, they'll make a mad dash to go to the standby line. Especially if they weren't lucky or organized enough to plan to get FPs for it 60 days in advance.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy Creek Buccaneer View Post
    My question is why do people wait in line when Fastpass is available? I just don't understand the lunacy of waiting!
    Sometimes you have no choice but to wait if you want to see an attraction. For Example: I want to ride TSM I get a fastpass at 9am for 230pm. I can only hold one fastpass so now if I want to see or ride an attraction before 230 pm I must wait in the standby line.

I also commented on how stinking long the standby lines were when I was there this month. Standby Lines were out of control. I don't want to see Fp to go away just to go back to what worked in the past.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    Sometimes you have no choice but to wait if you want to see an attraction. For Example: I want to ride TSM I get a fastpass at 9am for 230pm. I can only hold one fastpass so now if I want to see or ride an attraction before 230 pm I must wait in the standby line.

I also commented on how stinking long the standby lines were when I was there this month. Standby Lines were out of control. I don't want to see Fp to go away just to go back to what worked in the past.
    Correct me if I"m wrong, but the Fastpasses have something on them that says you can get a new fastpass at X:XX time and often that time is 2 hours after you get the first fast pass if the new fast pass return time is longer than that. At least that's the case in Disneyland. So, if you get a fastpass at 9:30 and the return time is at 2:30, you can get another fast pass at 11:30.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

The fast pass system makes wait times go up. With fast pass + coming on board you think the lines are long now just.wait. Really what dose disney care once you get into the park after paying all that money to get in and to park they got the bulk of your money. Why would they care how long you wait. 95 $ to get in plus tax so what you get to see 3 to 4 attractions out of 20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Correct me if I"m wrong, but the Fastpasses have something on them that says you can get a new fastpass at X:XX time and often that time is 2 hours after you get the first fast pass if the new fast pass return time is longer than that. At least that's the case in Disneyland. So, if you get a fastpass at 9:30 and the return time is at 2:30, you can get another fast pass at 11:30.
    Not when I was there a few weeks ago. We could not get another fast pass until the time to go on the ride.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Correct me if I"m wrong, but the Fastpasses have something on them

1- that says you can get a new fastpass at X:XX time and

2- often that time is 2 hours after you get the first fast pass

3- if the new fast pass return time is longer than that.

4- At least that's the case in Disneyland.

5- So, if you get a fastpass at 9:30 and the return time is at 2:30, you can get another fast pass at 11:30.
    1- Correct.
    2- It's usually just for the very popular rides.
    3- Correct. If the current FP Return Time is longer than 2 hours away, you will be able to get another FP at the 2-hour mark from time of
    current FP pick-up.
    4- And, at WDW.
    5- That is correct.

Not when I was there a few weeks ago. We could not get another fast pass until the time to go on the ride.
    You must not have been looking very closely.
    The "2 hour rule" is how the "regular" FP system has worked for over a decade.

Post Thanks / Like

FP has been great to me every trip. I recently got back from a trip in mid-July. There were often wait times of 120+ minutes for major rides. I even saw It's A Small World with a wait time of 50 minutes. With that being said, the longest wait I did was 40 min to allow my daughter to meet Gaston and rope drop (caught the bus at just the right time). The second longest wait was 30 min to meet Wreck It Ralph. I was able to ride every ride, major ones especially, several times thanks to FP.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    1- Correct.
    2- It's usually just for the very popular rides.
    3- Correct. If the current FP Return Time is longer than 2 hours away, you will be able to get another FP at the 2-hour mark from time of
    current FP pick-up.
    4- And, at WDW.
    5- That is correct.

You must not have been looking very closely.
    The "2 hour rule" is how the "regular" FP system has worked for over a decade.
    110% correct

Post Thanks / Like

How I wish Disney would just eliminate Fastpass altogether. The system is used considerably less in Disneyland, and park operations seem to run so much smoother.

Toy Story Mania is the obvious example. It doesn't have Fastpass at California Adventure, yet the line is rarely long. Even when it is, it's about half of the peak wait time of Toy Story Mania in Florida.

Granted, there are other reasons for this phenomenon, but Fastpass is certainly a major contributing factor.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, when you get a fast pass with such a late time on it from the time you received it, it will usually give you an earlier time to get another one. We a lot of times get to DHS around 9:30 - 10:30 and TSM already has passes timed anywhere from 2:00 - 7:00PM depending on the day. When this happens there is a note on the bottom that reads "your next fast pass will be available after 11:30" or about two hours after the issue of the TSM fast pass.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    How I wish Disney would just eliminate Fastpass altogether. The system is used considerably less in Disneyland, and park operations seem to run so much smoother.

Toy Story Mania is the obvious example. It doesn't have Fastpass at California Adventure, yet the line is rarely long. Even when it is, it's about half of the peak wait time of Toy Story Mania in Florida.

Granted, there are other reasons for this phenomenon, but Fastpass is certainly a major contributing factor.
    I agree that TSM does not offer FP at DCA.
    But, I must disagree that the lines are shorter BECAUSE it does not offer FP.
    Definitely not a "major" contributing factor to its shorter wait time.

To understand that FP is a positive factor in queuing for DL attractions, one only needs to remember the 3 hour-plus waits for Splash Mountain before FP, and look at the (formerly needed) massively-long (and entertaining) entrance queue that was built for Indy.

FP works.

If they dropped FP at DHS' TSM, you would not suddenly see short lines for the attraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    FP works.

If they dropped FP at DHS' TSM, you would not suddenly see short lines for the attraction.
    Short lines? No, certainly not. Shorter lines? Yes, absolutely.

Toy Story Mania's immense popularity in Florida is artificial, exaggerated by the fact that the park has virtually no other family rides. That isn't the case at California Adventure. Put Toy Story Mania in the Magic Kingdom, and the lines would immediately drop to something more manageable.

Whatever you think about Fastpass -- and I will always argue that it is a bad thing for park operations -- we can agree on this: All Fastpass does is redistribute the supply-and-demand chain. How about Disney fixes its increasing "demand" problem by expanding the "supply."

That is to say, build more attractions.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Aw you beat me to it. The best solution for TSM at WDW is for another family attraction in the Studios. Hopefully all the changes coming helps with that
    Caribbean Beach '91
    Dixie Landings '96
    Coronado Springs '11
    Kidani Village '15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jclightchasr View Post
    How is that any different than today? If you don't know about FP and/or how it works, you are still stuck in Stand-By lines.

How many people still visit WDW and believe that FP is a 'paid for' perk or that only those staying 'On Property' are eligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Yep. Gone will be the days of 5 or 6 FP. You get your 3 or 4, and the rest will be good ol' standby regardless of when you get up or how well you know your way about.
    Unless they decide to up the number of FastPasses (FP+) per hour per attraction, there should be no discernible difference in Stand-By line lengths. This is based on them removing the current FP operation or combining the FP+ and FP amounts to equal the current FP/hour numbers.

Since they clamped down on return windows for FP, how many people are really getting more than 3 or 4 FP in a day and being able to use them? There is no more "Let's collect FP all day and come back at the end of the day to use them all"

For those who have been "Test Subjects" for the FP+ system....Do you still have windows to schedule your FP+ attractions? Say, for example, you schedule TSMM for 9:00, can you then schedule Rn'R for 9:30 and ToT for 10:00, or are you limited to one FP+ per hour? 2 hours? 3 hours? I haven't read any threads that talked about that.

Personally, I can count the number of time I have used FP, in all my trips since 2003, on one hand and have fingers left over. We always went during slower seasons -- Sept., Oct., early Dec., very early Jan., and Valentine's week -- and have never had lines, except for Soarin' and TSMM, that have been longer than 20 - 30 minutes and most of those were actually shorted than the posted times.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

The wait times are so much better at Walt Disney World than they use to be, it's not even comparable.

Those of us who have been going to WDW since it opened will remember waiting in line for 60+ minutes for POTC, or 60+ minutes for the boat rode at Mexico at Epcot.

We were just at WDW last March the week before Easter. We were able to ride everything we wanted, and never waited in line more than 30 minutes.

WDW is so popular, and crowded most of the year. If you use FP, and get to the parks early, the wait times are very manageable. If you go on a busy day, and get in the standby line for Peter Pan at 2:30 PM, be prepared to wait 120 minutes to ride a 3 minute ride.

There is no doubt, FP has lessened the amount of wait time I have experienced ad WDW.

Now, the jury is out for FP+. I have some concerns about it, but really won't know until I experience it.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: