Quantcast Stay Classy America....NOT! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post
    here is another misconception but a Disney Cruise is geared towards every member of your family not just kids, me and dw love all the adult only places on the ship, anyway as far as dressing up is concerned if its cruise casual then i see nothing wrong with dress slacks and a polo shirt, on formal night you should be dressed up im sorry but that's why it's called FORMAL NIGHT, on our last cruise 1 family decided to show up in tee shirts and shorts 2 of the GROWN MEN wore tank tops. If you choose not to dress that's your option but c'mon tank tops, back in March me and dw did the 3 day cruise and we didn't want to get dressed up so guess what???? we ate at the quick service resturants, and dressed up only for Palo, this is my

Victor
    I have been on three Disney cruises already and about to do our fourth so I have no misconceptions about Disney Cruises. I have been on three other cruise lines also. Compared to the other cruise lines, Disney cruises are geared towards kids. There are characters all over the ships, the shows have Disney characters, the general dining rooms are themed with kids in mind, ...I can go on and on. Do they want to attract adults without kids...yes but that is not their main client base.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I have been on three Disney cruises already and about to do our fourth so I have no misconceptions about Disney Cruises. I have been on three other cruise lines also. Compared to the other cruise lines, Disney cruises are geared towards kids. There are characters all over the ships, the shows have Disney characters, the general dining rooms are themed with kids in mind, ...I can go on and on. Do they want to attract adults without kids...yes but that is not their main client base.
    Totally agree with you Rita.

I have sailed RCCL, Princess, and Carnival. DCL is BY FAR very obviously geared towards Families...with KIDS! When 1/3 of the people on board are under 18, as they tend to be on DCL sailings, the cruise line is very obviously marketed to families with kids, unlike probably every other cruise line out there.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a subjective issue. Even if EVERY person dressed up for dinner, there would still be some men who would have looked better in khaki shorts & a polo, or women in city shorts and a cardigan set. I'm one of them. If you put me in a dress and heels, I look like a 4 year old who's been playing in her mothers closet.

I have seen some folks "dressed up" who look like mob bosses and mob bosses' "girlfriends"

I have seen some who look like they just came from the gym.

I personally think that as long as people try to put their best foot forward, good for them. I really am not there to worry about what anyone else is wearing. I'm there to enjoy my family & friends and eat a nice meal. The food goes down just the same whether I'm sitting next to shorts or suits.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    This is such a subjective issue. Even if EVERY person dressed up for dinner, there would still be some men who would have looked better in khaki shorts & a polo, or women in city shorts and a cardigan set. I'm one of them. If you put me in a dress and heels, I look like a 4 year old who's been playing in her mothers closet.

I have seen some folks "dressed up" who look like mob bosses and mob bosses' "girlfriends"

I have seen some who look like they just came from the gym.

I personally think that as long as people try to put their best foot forward, good for them. I really am not there to worry about what anyone else is wearing. I'm there to enjoy my family & friends and eat a nice meal. The food goes down just the same whether I'm sitting next to shorts or suits.
    Amen...IMHO "class" is not determined by the clothes on the person, but rather by the person in the clothes.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    i'm sorry but i disagree, Royal Court ? Enchanted Garden? Palo? Remy? these are resturants geared for kids? anyway i know that me and dw are going to have a blast on our DIsney Cruise in September i hope you do as well i'm now done discussing this topic

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

It's Disney. If it bothers the OP, perhaps Crystal or Seaborne would be more their type of cruise line.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post
    i'm sorry but i disagree, Royal Court ? Enchanted Garden? Palo? Remy? these are resturants geared for kids? anyway i know that me and dw are going to have a blast on our DIsney Cruise in September i hope you do as well i'm now done discussing this topic

Victor
    The restaurants you mentioned are just a very small portion of what is offered on each Disney ship. The deck parties are centered around Disney characters and you have a Pirate Night dinner. Princess Cruise Line doesn't have Pirate Night. Of course Disney would love to attract as many people as possible, but the adult only offerings, IMO, are more about giving parents the night off than going after people without children.

And thank you, we have always enjoyed our cruises, but will enjoy this one even more now that the dress code has been relaxed.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

The ol cliché you can take the girl outt'a the streets but ya can't take the streets outt'a the girl comes to mind.

I agree that the clothes on your back does not make instill class...it's the person in the clothes. I've seen fully dressed folks who act “classless” as well as lesser dressed who are true princes or princesses.

And I've noticed that yes SOME can pull it off...that is wear a nice pair of shorts and matching shirt with boat shoes in a more formal atmosphere. Really it’s all dependent on the rules. And if DCL decides to change the rules…hey, I’m fine with that. I don’t pack suits for vacation either. BUT I do follow the guidelines IF a place has a dress code attire. We did when we ate at PALO years ago - packed our fancier clothes. THEN found out that we were not missing anything. Personally we felt that the other restaurants on board the ships, with a no jacket rule, had such GREAT food and service that we didn’t have to repeat a more formal fancy night and HAVE to pack nicer clothes for one dinner. Yes it was a pain to do that. We also dress up for pirate night. Not I a costume but in a set of matching, DW and I, pirate shirts and shorts to match.

BUT next cruise...take a look around - ya I know you’re on vacation. But you'll notice that the folks who have the least manners and the worst behaved kids are the ones pushing the envelope of what may be considered dinner attire for the sit down restaurants. Wrinkled clothes included! Think it was bad before? Well now that the rules have been changed it will open up more interpretation of what can be worn and accepted.

No darling, those over stretched out neon green terry cloth wal-mart short shorts that you have worn for the past 3 years are not acceptable. Nor are your filthy feet Mr. I’ll just throw on my oldest man’dels and go to dinner with a stained "gym" shirt.

You wear what you want... act like you want etc. Yes you paid your way. Too obnoxious and I'll just ask to be moved. We all paid what I would consider “good” money to be on a DCL in the first place. My fun or level of enjoyment will not be compromised.

Personally, my parents raised me better to know how to act, react and dress for where I'm going. I don't wear shorts to funerals as well. BUT I'd bet some would – and make the case hey - IT'S SUMMERTIME.

Great thread…
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    No, we just don't sign up for those cruises. lol
    The day will never come where I take a suit with me on vacation.
    No offense, but I don't care either way. LOL. I personally dislike cruises. I won't be going on too many in the future. Too many things I have to schedule my day around- dining times, dress codes, types of excursions I am restricted to because of needing to get back to ship on time. I personally feel cruises are too structured for how I want to vacation.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    No offense, but I don't care either way. LOL. I personally dislike cruises. I won't be going on too many in the future. Too many things I have to schedule my day around- dining times, dress codes, types of excursions I am restricted to because of needing to get back to ship on time. I personally feel cruises are too structured for how I want to vacation.
    This is exactly how I feel. Probably the only cruise I want to go on is an Alaskan cruise, and of course, I want to go DCL for that. So for that reason I am happy to hear about the dress code changes.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I say to each his OR her own!! If you like dressing up for dinner "be our guest", but if you like being on vacation casual then also "be our guest" it's like being in the parks. Some people like to dress nice to walk around all day and others throw on casual clothes and have just as much fun. I think it’s about choice and you make yours and I will make mine. I have dressed up on other cruises and couldn't wait to change as soon as dinner was over. It’s just too hot to be all dressed up for an hour. Not to mention a waste of luggage space to bring men’s clothes. I would rather take that burger on the top deck and enjoy the night then be stuffed in dress clothes ON VACATION!!! That’s just me (and mine)
    As far as dressing the kids up for dinner. It’s hard enough to get them to want to go eat (too much fun) I would rather they dress in shorts (nice of course) so they can continue the night and not have dress clothes on (pants, ties, formal shoes etc.). It’s a cruise for heaven sake let your hair down and have fun…
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I always have, and always will dress up for dinners, either on DCL or at WDW. My mother instilled in me a proper way to dress for different occasions, and I just won't change.

On DCL, at a minimum on regular nights I wear a dress, a skirt/top combo, or at an absolute minimum dressy capris and a very dressy top (always in heels). DH wears khakis and a dress shirt, and sometimes a jacket. On formal nights, it's evening gown and tux. No question.

I don't even wear shorts if we're going out on a Saturday night at home during the summer. I like to dress up. My DH laughs that I won't wear shorts to the mall if we're going at night... it's usually a summer dress or nice jeans and a dressy top (if in colder weather). I'm never seen in flip flops or sneakers outside the house or gym.

I do get annoyed when I've taken the time to look very nice for a signature dinner at WDW or on the DCL, and someone else doesn't make an effort. Yes, dress codes have gotten terribly lax over the years, but that doesn't mean it's okay. There's nothing wrong with taking some pride in yourself and showing it to those around you.

Like Stacy London says on What Not To Wear.... it takes exactly the same amount of effort to put on a dress or nice outfit as it does a tee shirt and shorts. So, why not wear something nice?

But, that's me. Luckily I have a DH who agrees, and willingly dresses very nicely on vacation. So, yes.... I am very sorry to hear that DCL caved in to those who don't want to make an effort. I will continue to wear dresses and evening gowns on the ship and at WDW.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Like Stacy London says on What Not To Wear.... it takes exactly the same amount of effort to put on a dress or nice outfit as it does a tee shirt and shorts. So, why not wear something nice?
    I don't watch What Not to Wear, but I totally disagree with this Stacy London. As someone who dresses up for work each day, it definitely does not take exactly the same amount of time to put on a dressy outfit as a t-shirt and shorts. And along with the dressy outfit there must be corresponding accessories and make-up, not to mention dressy shoes (heels--)
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying throw on a ragged out t shirt and torn shorts, but to some people a nice pair of khaki shorts and a polo is dressy enough for a cruise dinner and the ladies in a maxi dress and sandals always looks nice. I don't have to be in an evening gown and heels to feel dressed up. What you motioned is nice to a nice pair of Capri’s with a nice top and the men in khaki's are perfectly fine for dinner out on a BOAT! Yes it’s nice to really dress up for dinner and dancing when you go out, but on a cruise I think the atmosphere is casual and laid back who wants to have heavy clothes on.. And besides what you pay to be on these cruises I’m sure your aren’t going to be wearing old ragged out clothes to dinner.. At least I hope not
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I don't watch What Not to Wear, but I totally disagree with this Stacy London. As someone who dresses up for work each day, it definitely does not take exactly the same amount of time to put on a dressy outfit as a t-shirt and shorts. And along with the dressy outfit there must be corresponding accessories and make-up, not to mention dressy shoes (heels--)
    Soooo.... You don't take time to wear makeup if you aren't dressed up? I sure do.

Well, a dressy top takes the same time to put on as a tee does... Still goes over your head. . A skirt... the same as shorts. A dress.... Even less. And heels?? Quicker than lacing up sneakers!

I always wear makeup... dressed up or casual. Same with accessories... dressy or casual, I always wear jewelry.

As someone else noted... Maxis are so pretty (when styled nicely). I love them, and they are super easy to wear! Again, I buy dressier maxis, and they are perfect for more upscale cruise dining.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Soooo.... You don't take time to wear makeup if you aren't dressed up? I sure do.

Well, a dressy top takes the same time to put on as a tee does... Still goes over your head. . A skirt... the same as shorts. A dress.... Even less. And heels?? Quicker than lacing up sneakers!

I always wear makeup... dressed up or casual. Same with accessories... dressy or casual, I always wear jewelry.
    Nope, I don't always wear jewelry or makeup when I'm going casual. I don't feel the need. And I still say that it takes longer to put dressy outfits on, at least for me.

It sounds like you really enjoy getting dressed up; that's great, more power to you. I just don't feel the same way. And on a cruise ship, if someone wants to wear dressy clothes and someone else not as much, why should that annoy anyone? That part I just don't understand.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I was just on a Disney Cruise, before they officially allowed shorts. A lot of people were already wearing shorts, but everyone looked very nice.

The truth is, at least on a 3 night Bahamas cruise, it's a casual atmosphere. It is hot and humid. The dining rooms are also quite warm. If it is acceptable to wear "theme park attire" in WDW Signature Restaurants, I don't see how a cruise is much different. Besides, the actual dining rooms onboard are very casual environments, except maybe for Royal Palace.

I think allowing shorts is a good move. There are plenty of nice shorts out there that can look very dressy paired with a nice shirt. In particular, men and boys can look quite nice in khaki shorts and polo or button down shirts for a fancy dinner. People dress like that all the time in the summer months.

This is one change that I welcome. It was honestly kind of a pain to have to pack pants for my boys and husband on an otherwise "summer clothes" trip. They took up a lot of room and were ONLY worn for dinner each night.

I do like to dress nicely on cruises, and my family will continue to do so regardless of the rules. However, if we cruise in the summer again, I will be happy to not have to bring pants along for my boys and my husband will be glad for the option to wear shorts.

And, finally, just for the record, I don't recall what ANYONE else was wearing in the dining rooms on all three nights of our cruise. I was focused on my family. What the people in the tables around me were wearing, I couldn't care less about.
    I completely agree --- the dress clothes take up too much room which equates to extra stress getting everything through the airport, the terminal, etc. This is going to make a DCL vacation so much more relaxing.

I too never noticed anything people were wearing. Nor do I care.

And I will be glad not to wear heels on polished marble floors on a moving ship!

I am absolutely fine with this new policy.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone else noted... Maxis are so pretty (when styled nicely). I love them, and they are super easy to wear! Again, I buy dressier maxis, and they are perfect for more upscale cruise dining.
    Oh boy.

You do realize that not everyone is like this, right? I am basically your polar opposite here, and I promise you, I was brought up "right". In fact, you are very much like my own mother. Unfortunately, I was a tomboy as a child and still am. "Dressing up" is not a matter of effort. It's a matter of comfort, both superficially and more deep down. I agree that the act of wearing nice clothes requires no more effort, but I simply don't feel like myself when I am dressed up, wearing fancy shoes and makeup. Feels like Halloween to me. Every time.

Maybe it's because I don't feel the need to impress others or look a certain way. I am happy with who I am and couldn't care less how others judge my appearance.

I have my own opinions about Maxi dresses, high heels, and wearing makeup all the time. They are not the same as yours.

I am always presentable. My clothes are always clean and in good condition. I take care of my self. I make sure my boys are always clean and have neat hair. My husband is a Marine. He is no stranger to looking well kept. On home and on vacation, you won't notice us for the way we look.

Sure it's nice to dress up for special occasions. In fact, I actually bought and WORE a sundress (gasp!) on our cruise. And every other night, I was in Capris and a "fancy" tee from Loft. With some flip flop style leather sandals. And just enough makeup to cover up my blemishes.

Basically, you wear what makes you comfortable and I'll do the same. I follow dress codes as they are presented to me. If the dress code is Formal, you can be sure I will be in one of the many ball gowns/cocktail dresses that I own. And yes, people like me do own these things.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't putting anyone down. I simply stated that dressing up a little isn't difficult. I feel it does show respect for yourself and others in the right environments. A pretty maxi from Soma is like wearing pj's, and is probably the most comfortable attire I own! And, it looks dressy!

I still feel the OP is absolutely right, and there's no shame whatsoever in that. Dress codes have degraded.

And, I don't take the effort of dressing up or wearing makeup to impress people. I do it out of respect for myself. I'm a confident gal, and it shows in the way I present myself. Why wouldn't I want to look my best when I'm out?

But, to each his own. Tee and shorts, or heels and a cute dress... We'll all get to eat at Disney! Nobody gets turned away.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone does realize Disney is relaxing the dress code merely for profit reasons just like they do everything else don't you? The upscale restaurants probably weren't turning a good profit.

I am sure they did some market research and discovered that people were avoiding the upscale restaurants due to the dress code. They were probably fielding complaints from some guests who actually adhered to the dress code about those who were being allowed in even though they were not dressed accordingly.

Simple solution to solve both problems.....relax the dress code. It isn't like they were enforcing it anyway so now they don't have to deal with the whiners.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: