Quantcast Stay Classy America....NOT! - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

I get it totally, but my point is who are (you) we (general) to judge or look down on people that don't follow what (you0 we feel is the “norm”. IF someone feels they are dressed appropriately for THEIR own liking. Then why is it your (again general) job to look down on them or call them out on it. if the rule is dress formal and someone shows up in jeans and a shirt WHO are (you) we to say that's not their 'FORMAL" it may not be (yours) or mine, but again to each his/her own.. It’s so not worth stressing over. And I know if it's made such a big deal on here that people actually stress over it..lol

Your examples are more life threatening then a simple t-shirt and jeans. So I don't think you can compare what people wear to dinner on a disney cruise verses Texting and driving Or speeding. unless what they are wearing at the time they are doing it bothers you also.. lol

I guess i'm just not that person that really cares what others do or wear. As long as your having fun then to me it's all good...
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I don't think there's any reason to be rude. As far as profits--yes, you pay for the cruise up front, but there may be a fair number of people (like me) who would not book a cruise, knowing that a dress code required them to "dress up' to go to dinner. However, with a more relaxed dress code, I might be more inclined to book that cruise and increase Disney's profits. Even if they made $12 million in revenue last year, when has that ever stopped Disney from wanting more???

Exactly Beth, I know a lot of people who will not book a cruise because of having to dress up for dinner and it is not a silly reason at all. When you have to dress up everyday for work, there are a lot of people who do not want to do it on vacation. Just because Disney cruises are full, doesn't mean that they don't want to attach more people. If I remember correctly, they have built a few new ships, and want to keep them filled. lol

I'm am not sure why someone is so concerned with what others wear to dinner, now that is silly.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post
    1st off i wasn't being rude this has been my 3rd attempt to explain that dinner and dress codes has nothing to do with profits, and the poster keeps trying to say that it's because of dinner. :
    You do not need to explain the dress code or tipping to me. I have been on 3 going on 4 Disney cruises. I never said profits depend on the dress code, I said some people will not cruise if they have to dress for dinner.....People not cruising does effect profits.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
    Nope sorry…

It’s about rules.
    Like speed limits.
    Like texting while driving.
    Like smoking in non-designated areas.
    Like driving while under the influence.
    The list goes on and on...

ALL matter. It’s a pattern displayed – that is by those who don’t follow rules.

Hope this simple example allows it to be seen in a different light and I am in the boundaries of this boards discussion by-laws.

Nothing personal - only meant as a spirited debate.

It’s not about being right or wrong.

It’s about rules.
    Really, you are comparing all of the above dangerous actions to what someone wears to dinner on a cruise.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    I get it totally, but my point is who are (you) we (general) to judge or look down on people that don't follow what (you0 we feel is the “norm”. IF someone feels they are dressed appropriately for THEIR own liking. Then why is it your (again general) job to look down on them or call them out on it. if the rule is dress formal and someone shows up in jeans and a shirt WHO are (you) we to say that's not their 'FORMAL" it may not be (yours) or mine, but again to each his/her own..
    It's not about someone's "idea" or "belief" of what formal or casual is. Just because someone thinks jeans are formal attire (for them) does not make it formal.

It's easy to see what's considered formal, semi-formal, resort casual, casual, etc.... just GOOGLE it!! You won't find style advice that says "Jeans are formal attire if you believe them to be". My company doesn't even consider them good enough for work on a Friday, even though I think dressy jeans and heels are fine for a casual Friday. Doesn't matter what I believe... there's a DRESS CODE that my opinion doesn't get to trump.

I went to a Friday night wedding this summer, and wasn't sure if my knee-length cocktail dress would suffice. I googled it, and found one site after another recommending a floor length dress for such an event. No problem... stopped at White House Black Market on the way to the wedding and got a gorgeous long black dress for about $60 on sale, and felt perfectly comfortable all night. I was only one of a handful of people who dressed the same (and we looked great), and those in shorter dresses didn't bother me in the least. At least I knew I was wearing what was appropriate for just such a formal occasion. And, I get to take it to wear on our Disney trip in December!!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I like that ... Google it!! ahhh NO!! I know there are millions that will Google how to dress, but others feel if they look nice in what they can afford and feel good in that should be enough. I personally will not Google how to dress to please any one. Has it really come to that. We also have a business casual dress code at work and some people will dress way up and others keep it simple. It’s all a matter of what you can afford and how you feel wearing it. AGAIN we are talking dinner on a vacation that is for the most part casual. I guess that's why they are changing the way they think. Poeple don't want the hassle & worry if they will be dressed up enough for an hour dinner.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it is settled and it doesn't matter what any of us think the dress code should be. Disney Cruise Line has spoken. I called them yesterday since the web site does not mention a change in the code.

The man that I spoke to told me that the change was made because of the overwhelming request from return guests and first timers for dining on the Disney line to be casual. BTW he also told me that the dress code NEVER applied to children in the first place, something I did not realize.

Bathing Suits, Tank Tops, and Flip Flops are still not allowed, but everything else is OK and that includes jeans, sandals, shorts, and sneakers. So now no one is breaking the rules.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, for one I think dressing up is misconstrued as expensive. It doesn't have to be. There are plenty of places to pick up decent special occasion clothes for cheap (Goodwill, resale shops) or even wait for sales. I also got a very nice dress from White House Black Market on clearance for $20 (was originally $160)... so it's possible, it's out there if you look for it. If one can afford a Disney Cruise, will $20, $60 really break the bank at that point?

To SurferStitch's point, I also work for a company where you cannot wear jeans. Ever. Unless it's a special fundraiser day and even then there are rules (no tears, not skin tight, may not wear gym shoes,t shirts etc with the jeans). So many rules that I just donate and wear my work clothing rather than try to build an outfit around the jeans day rules. Heck we don't even have casual Fridays at my place.

Anyway, like I said, mute point for me as I choose not to cruise for the time being.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Bathing Suits, Tank Tops, and Flip Flops are still not allowed, but everything else is OK and that includes jeans, sandals, shorts, and sneakers. So now no one is breaking the rules.
    Sounds good.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

I hardly see how the allowance of more casual apparel for Disney Cruise dining directly leads to America being an un-classy nation. Sounds a bit overdramatic.

Post Thanks / Like

My feelings are that I don't really pay attention to what others are wearing at dinner so it doesn't matter to me. All I care about it having good service, good food, and a good time. As long as people are dressed I don't care what they are wearing
    Casey~A Disney obsessed wife and mommy to 5 princess under the age of 9!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like that ... Google it!! ahhh NO!! I know there are millions that will Google how to dress, but others feel if they look nice in what they can afford and feel good in that should be enough. I personally will not Google how to dress to please any one.
    We just have to disagree on just about everything (apparently) pertaining to fashion, and that's just fine by me. I feel good about my style.

I don't check out any old website for advice (if needed)... there are plenty of big sites like Glamour, InStyle, sites by various famous fashion designers...even Tim Gunn gives timeless advice for women from 18 to 98! There is professional advice out there on the internet. I don't dress the way I do to please anyone... just myself.

As was noted by someone else, it doesn't have to cost a lot or be uncomfortable to dress nicely and appropriately for different settings. I was able to get some gorgeous dresses at Soma for only $23 this summer, and White House Black Market for $20-$60. A couple solid color dresses can take you through a week of vacation with different shoes and accessories.

But, I give up. I'm buying my clothes, not anyone else's. People will continue to dress how they want.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    I feel good about my style.
    That is what I was trying to say. "I feel good about my style” that's exactly what I meant by all the comments. People should always feel good about "their" style without someone (in general) looking down or making them feel they don’t have any style. I know we all pay a crazy amount of money to enjoy our vacation, but to spend even more money to dress a certain way to please others is not worth it to me.. I just feel it’s vacation relax let your hair down and have fun!!! That’s what it’s all about in the end (at least to me)
    I also get there are good buys everywhere, but when your planning a vacation and maybe shopping for a family of 5 or more it can get racked up. just saying

I guess that's why I will just skip the places that ask me to dress a certain way to have dinner..

Post Thanks / Like

No harm meant and not judging at all.

If the words in my posts seemed so, I was not judging anyone for their clothes or beliefs. Just attempting to make a point that rules are important. OR it would not be a rule in place for the purpose of safety or else in the first place.

Sort of like a "little-white-lie". Isn't it still a lie???

Thanks for the opinions and comments on the subject.

No worries fellow DCL cruisers and icot members!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

I get it totally, but my point is who are (you) we (general) to judge or look down on people that don't follow what (you0 we feel is the “norm”. IF someone feels they are dressed appropriately for THEIR own liking. Then why is it your (again general) job to look down on them or call them out on it. if the rule is dress formal and someone shows up in jeans and a shirt WHO are (you) we to say that's not their 'FORMAL" it may not be (yours) or mine, but again to each his/her own.. It’s so not worth stressing over. And I know if it's made such a big deal on here that people actually stress over it..lol

Your examples are more life threatening then a simple t-shirt and jeans. So I don't think you can compare what people wear to dinner on a disney cruise verses Texting and driving Or speeding. unless what they are wearing at the time they are doing it bothers you also.. lol

I guess i'm just not that person that really cares what others do or wear. As long as your having fun then to me it's all good...
    Love this post [and others similar to it]. I agree 100%.
    I'm thinking of booking our first Disney cruise in the next year or two and this makes me even more happy to read! Shorts, yay!!

I'm not one to judge someone by how much money they have or how they dress [in terms of class/social class]. If someone looks at me and judges me that way, well good for them. I'm so glad in the end it's not their opinion of me that counts
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: