Quantcast Animal Kingdom

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animal Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Animal Kingdom

So there are a total of seven rides {attractions} in the park and two of them are carnival type rides. Even for a half day stopby its not worth the money or time. When will they start making this park more desirable?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy the Animal Kingdom, though of course I would also enjoy some expansion. But it's not just about rides. It's about the experience. If you take your time and let it all unfold around you, you will get so much more out of the park. It has great theming. I can spend hours looking at the animals around the park and on the trails. If you go just looking for rides, yes, this park might be a bit of a letdown and your time will be better spent at other parks. But if your interests are more diverse and you enjoy nature and animals and you enjoy taking in some shows, the park has more to offer.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Have you been to Animal Kingdom?

There are a couple of very good shows there - Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo. Additionally, there are some really nice walking trail where you get to see animals.

Do you consider the Safari a ride and/or attraction or is that something you don't count either?

If all you want to do is go on rides then this definitely not the park for you.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    If all you want to do is go on rides then this definitely not the park for you.
    I agree. AK is an experience not an amusement park. Heck this could actually be said for all 4 parks. As mentioned, consider the two walking safari treks, and shows as they are some of the highlights of the park. The walking trails around the Tree Of Life are often overlooked and offer some unique views as well as wildlife that goes unnoticed. There are many hidden gems throughout the park & some great story lines.
    I suggest doing some research on all the hidden magic the park offers so when you do go next time, things will be much more interesting.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Animal Kingdom and I also like that its only a half day park for us, unlike MK and Epcot where the entire day is so hectic trying to do everything...don't get me wrong those two are my favorites but I like the slower pace of AK, its a more relaxing day more about taking in the atmosphere plus I have half a day to do something else....good day to resort hop

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

AK is a favorite for our family--we usually go twice during a one week visit. We love walking all the trails, animals (especially being able to see the tigers so close), Everest, Dinosaur, eating at Yak & Yeti and the Nemo stage show. What really seals the deal for us are all the details--they are incredible.

I recommend checking out the documentaries on the making of the AK park and the Expedition Everest ride specifically--they will give you an appreciation for the research that is done and then intricately implemented by the Disney imagineers.

I think the expansion will make it even better!
    June 29-July 5th-Shades of Green
    Sep 2013-Port Orleans FQ
    Dec 2010 Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 Pop Century
    Sep 2008 POFQ
    Sep 2006 POFQ
    SOG Dec 2006
    April 2002 All Star
    May 1998 SOG
    June 1993 POFQ
    Disneyland-numerous times since 1966 (Last time-Jul 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I like AK for what it is. I short it is not what you see it is what you don't see that in important.

It is all about the animals and the rides are just the icing on the cake. The animal are the most important part of this park that is why they call it the Animal Kingdom.

I may not be into the rides and I get it done in 4 to 5 hrs but it is Disney World and they have brought one of the best animal exhibits to the area you would hope to find.

Enjoy it for what it is....
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

So maybe Ill save myself a couple hundred dollars and take my family to our local zoo.

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by quack arf squeak View Post
    So maybe Ill save myself a couple hundred dollars and take my family to our local zoo.
    A.K. is nothing like a Zoo or a thrill ride park.
    It is Disney at its best with theming and atmosphere..education.
    When we first went to A.K. I did not know what to expect...WOW, was I not only impressed....we ALWAYS goto A.K. EVERY visit. The whole park has GREAT theming.
    E.E. is a top notch coaster and the Rapids is a great raft ride.
    Yes, there are animals..but not in a zoo way. I live near the number one zoo in America...The Columbus, Ohio zoo....and it is nothing like A.K.
    Jack Hannah is famous due to what he did to the columbus zoo. But, Folks that compare A.K. to a zoo just simply have either never been there or hasnt a clue. Some folks may not like A.K. and thats ok, but...Again, we have the best zoo around right here in Ohio but A.K. is fantastic in its own right.
    P.S. the more I go..the more I love it. Just like the Studios.

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchWDFun View Post
    AK is a favorite for our family--we usually go twice during a one week visit. We love walking all the trails, animals (especially being able to see the tigers so close), Everest, Dinosaur, eating at Yak & Yeti and the Nemo stage show. What really seals the deal for us are all the details--they are incredible.

I recommend checking out the documentaries on the making of the AK park and the Expedition Everest ride specifically--they will give you an appreciation for the research that is done and then intricately implemented by the Disney imagineers.

I think the expansion will make it even better!
    Agreed

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any problems spending a whole day at AK. I love walking the 2 animal trails (especially watching the tigers). Plus Finding Nemo and FotLK are 2 of the best shows on property (and I can easily see both more then once a day).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Opus X Guest

So there are a total of seven rides {attractions} in the park and two of them are carnival type rides. Even for a half day stopby its not worth the money or time. When will they start making this park more desirable?
    Also, its the 7th most visited park in the WORLD...7th only to other Disney parks...
    Id say it is desirable.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not my favorite park and a half day is enough for me, but it is a great park! The theming, details, shows and food are highlights and of course, the animals. Can't wait for new expansions but for now, I still think it is worth a visit.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Yes--the animals are an important part of the park--but the theming details are a-m-a-z-i-n-g!! We lived in San Diego for 20 years and visited the San Diego Zoo (notably one of the best zoos in the world) many times.

To answer your original question--"When will they start making this park more desirable?",
    for our family it is already a desireable park; obviously for you and your family it is not.

AK is not "only a zoo". It has unique features that give a visitor unusual access to animals (the tigers and bat enclosures immediately come to mind)--but Disney also has integrated some incredible rides,attractions & ambience.

Maybe the Avatar area expansion will add the attractions and rides you are looking for.
    June 29-July 5th-Shades of Green
    Sep 2013-Port Orleans FQ
    Dec 2010 Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 Pop Century
    Sep 2008 POFQ
    Sep 2006 POFQ
    SOG Dec 2006
    April 2002 All Star
    May 1998 SOG
    June 1993 POFQ
    Disneyland-numerous times since 1966 (Last time-Jul 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

Stop trying to convince the OP to like Animal Kingdom! If he/she doesn't like it and appreciate it for what it is, then definitely, it's not for him/her. The local zoo would be a far better choice.

My family and I enjoy Animal Kingdom but I would not travel a thousand miles or spend that much money to go only to that particular park. But as part of the whole package including the 3 other parks, it's great! I likely would also not travel for DHS if it was a stand-alone park either. At the very least, they wouldn't be an annual trip.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I really enjoy the Animal Kingdom, though of course I would also enjoy some expansion. But it's not just about rides. It's about the experience. If you take your time and let it all unfold around you, you will get so much more out of the park. It has great theming. I can spend hours looking at the animals around the park and on the trails. If you go just looking for rides, yes, this park might be a bit of a letdown and your time will be better spent at other parks. But if your interests are more diverse and you enjoy nature and animals and you enjoy taking in some shows, the park has more to offer.

I agree with this. I used to hate AK, with the narrow walkways and it was always hot when we went. However several trips ago I was able to stop and look at the details (especially at the area around EE). This really is a perfect display of what it is-a theme park. That being said we are usually able to see it all in alttle over half a day, which does make it hard to justify the $$ for a short time. Like a PP said with hoppers or multiday pass this park is great!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoy Animal Kingdom very much, we spend a little more than 1/2 days there. Some trips we end up going a couple of times.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I'm another one who is "blah" on AK.

I do enjoy the Safari, and we've really enjoyed our time at Conservation Station (two great surgeries to watch), but overall, it just doesn't do it for me.

Now, what Disney has done is awesome, Harambe Village, for example, is amazing. But, overall, I don't love the park and we've sent DH on his own to AK on some trips.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Now that more things are in AK for us to see and do we find we are there for almost an entire day. In the past we would be out by 1 or 2 but not any more

We only spend 1 day at AK but we looking forward to the park and all the things it has to offer.
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

We love animal kingdom and it may be one of our favorite parks but additions are always good to keep it fresh. However, I feel like Hollywood studios needs more of an expansion than AK.

We love the safari and the whole theming of the resort. I love walking through Africa and Asia and just looking around. All the small details that went into this park is what makes it beautiful. Every time we go to disney, we have to go here. I could in fact, skip Hollywood studios though.

34 days and counting
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW