Quantcast AVATAR Project Details & New Nighttime Entertainment Announced for Animal Kingdom - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

This year when we are at AK we were on a very empty safari ride and the driver told us that AK closes early because every night all the animals go back to night time enclosures to give them undisturbed time and to be cared for. This new announcement leads me to feel bad for the animals and that for our enjoyment the animals will not get what they need. Either that or the whole " they go back to night time enclosures.." is just an excuse to close early.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    This year when we are at AK we were on a very empty safari ride and the driver told us that AK closes early because every night all the animals go back to night time enclosures to give them undisturbed time and to be cared for.
    I seem to recall this being in some of the promotional materials from very early on. I thought concern for the animals was at least a part of that from the beginning. I certainly hope they don't start pushing the limits on that, because one thing you don't want to do is start putting the animals through extra stress.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    This year when we are at AK we were on a very empty safari ride and the driver told us that AK closes early because every night all the animals go back to night time enclosures to give them undisturbed time and to be cared for. This new announcement leads me to feel bad for the animals and that for our enjoyment the animals will not get what they need. Either that or the whole " they go back to night time enclosures.." is just an excuse to close early.
    Disney's Animal Kingdom is a AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) certified institution. It means they have some fairly strict regulations to follow to maintain that certification (though all of the enclosures at AK already far surpass the requirements laid out by AZA). As someone who worked in both zoos and aquariums previously I can't see how this would disturb or bother the animals in anyway. Animals aren't "performing" during the safari, they are doing their own thing in their own enclosures. This wouldn't change that.

What it will change is to add to the workload of employees who upkeep the savanna. The grazing animals do a fair bit of "damage" that is repaired nightly, probably one of the more primary reasons animals are returned to night enclosures. That will now be pushed to much later hours of the day with a later bedtime for the critters.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Animals aren't "performing" during the safari, they are doing their own thing in their own enclosures. This wouldn't change that.
    My understanding is that they do not overnight out on the plains of Africa. They go back to actual structures. One of the TV shows actually demonstrated how the different species respond to particular whistles/calls as a signal to return to their "house" at closing time.

Post Thanks / Like

How do they currently handle the savannahs at Animal Kingdom Lodge? They have night "sightings" there....

That said, even if they did not have "after dark" safaris, it would be nice to be in that park after dark to see some of the shops and attractions lit up. I was never able to be there while they had EMH evenings, so it would be a wholly new experience.

A closing show, which I would believe would be along the lines of World of Color, would be amazing to see in that venue.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    My understanding is that they do not overnight out on the plains of Africa. They go back to actual structures. One of the TV shows actually demonstrated how the different species respond to particular whistles/calls as a signal to return to their "house" at closing time.
    Correct. My understanding would be they would move these animals back at a later time in the day then they do now. Even when the park closes at 5 or 6 now they don't move many of these animals back until dusk, as would more naturally occur. I had a friend who worked with the giraffes and then the rhinos at AK for a while. She had worked at zoos all over the country and was really impressed with the standard of care here so I honestly don't doubt that animal care and welfare has been well thought out with these plans.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

The concept art looks amazing! I am excited about night entertainment in AK.
    That said.....I wish they would do Star Wars land.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I'm going to have to rent AVATAR. I have to say that the concept art looks really cool. I love the idea of AK being open into the night. The parks seem to take on completely different atmospheres at night -- new characteristics and sort of fresh personalities. I'd certainly love to experience AK at night as is, and if they think the Avatar bio-luminescence theme can only enhance that experience, I am for it.

I trust that it will be incorporated into the current AK themes and vibes smoothly.

Post Thanks / Like

Later hours would be great! We often don't get in all we'd like to do at AK. I know Disney has very high standards for the care of their animals. Whatever the evening changes are, I know they'll put the animal's well being first.

Post Thanks / Like

While i am Still befuddled as to how Avatarland themeatically fits with the Animal Kingdom, these announcements look very promising. The artwork looks very good, and i am quite excited that night time activities are being planned.
    Without passing judgement one way or another, (2017 is a long way off) all this has the potential to make Ak my 2nd favorite park.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be more interested in an expansion of the Star Wars 'galaxy' ...that (to me) would reach & appeal to more people of all ages. ...but I trust Disney...they usually know what they're doing (like in always!) ;-)
    Raising a Disney Family the best way I know how...takin' them ALL the time! :-)
    Fav Ride = Soarin'
    Fav Park = ...uh all of them?
    Fav Character = Minnie Mouse
    ~ One shoe can change your life ~ Cinderella

Post Thanks / Like

Pandora as a target rich environment for Imagineering genius. The opportunity for Disney to put out something that blows theme park fans away is there. It could be especially amazing at night.

Whether someone is a fan of the movie probably won't matter much, if they do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it sounds like a great idea. I do like Avatar so to me this would be an awesome experience. I am concerned about a few things though.
    1. The paths in AK will have to be better lighted since it seems that the park will be open later.
    2. The KJS ride could be taxing on the animals which are accustomed to a break in the ride after a certain time.
    3. The increase in people in the parks could really clog up some of the walkways that in some areas are pretty narrow vs other parks.
    4. AK needs to up its game on restaurants to accommodate a crowd that will likely want to have a nice sit down dinner.
    5. Avatar may have already come out in a sequel or 2 which based on James Cameron's interviews will show Pandora's oceans. Perhaps Disney Imagineers should integrate this aspect into the attraction so that it doesn't seem "dated" or limited upon its release.
    2014 POR Alligator Bayou & Beach Club.
    1978-2007 Several Visits off Property.

"Come to the Tiki Room...No one ever takes a Siesta"

"Parents hold your kids by the hair and we're clear"

"I am happy to see they brought back Orange Bird!!"

Post Thanks / Like

At least they're finally putting some money and effort into this half day zoo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angua85 View Post
    I *love* the idea of an Avatar land and especially in AK, which has always been a 1/2 day (if that) park for us.
    Us too!!!!
    Oct.99 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Sept.00 - CS
    Dec.02 - POFQ
    Apr.05 - AKL
    Oct.05 - POR
    Nov.07 - WL
    Oct.09 - CBR moved to POR(10 yr Anniversary)
    Nov 2013 AKV Kadani, 1st DVC Stay!
    Oct 2014 VWL (15 Yr Anniversary)
    Dec 2016 AKV Kadani
    Oct 2017 AKV Kadani Savanna

Post Thanks / Like

I've never considered any of the parks "1/2 day" parks, outside of normal operating hours. I am happy to see more night entertainment being added to the Animal Kingdom.

I liked the Avatar film, but was unsure how it would work inside a Disney park. I'm very excited about the possibilities of the attractions.

I believe the attractions being developed at the same time as the sequels, will make them that much better, as opposed to trying to do things after the fact. From what is looks like, it seems the area will be just as, if not more immersive as Cars Land at Disney CA Adventure.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I Think that Avatar is perfect place for the Animal Kingdom! and I love that idea!
    JEANY SANCHEZ
    January 2022 Polynesian Village Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    This seems to be spending a lot of money not making the Star Wars expansion at the studios that I have meticulously planned out for Disney. I just don't understand why they don't answer my calls, letters, emails or telegrams.
    Can you still send a telegram?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: