Quantcast Letter to Disney re: FP+

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Letter to Disney re: FP+

After having experienced it twice, I'm fed up with FP+ and decided to write to Disney about it. This conveys my thoughts and feelings on the experience to my fellow Intercotees as well. I hope all of you will take the time to write and give Disney feedback on the issue (including if you like it) at
    [email protected] They need to hear what's going on and they don't often pay attention to the discussion boards. Here's my letter:

Dear Disney,

I wanted to respond with some feedback to our recent visit. My family have been annual pass holders for a number of years and generally visit Walt Disney World 3-5 times each year. We thought that number would go up now that we are Florida residents and we had been considering joining DVC.

I want to say that I really like the Magic Band concept. The bands are comfortable, well-designed, and are generally easy to use. Well done on that. I have enjoyed using it on our last couple of trips this fall.

However, I want to convey that I absolutely despise the Fastpass+ concept. I don't mind change if change is good. In fact, I've always appreciated how Disney tries to improve the guest's experience. This is one change that is not good and I seriously hope the system is revamped or scrapped immediately. Let me me say in no uncertain terms that we will not be joining DVC and we will not renew our Annual Passes in January. In fact, as much as it breaks my heart to say this, we will not visit the Disney parks again unless FP+ is seriously changed or scrapped. We love the Disney parks. They have been part of our family for years, but this one change has ruined it. And please allow me to explain why:

1.) Timing - I've tolerated, and even been okay, with making Advance Dining Reservations 180 days out, even if that feels a little excessive. But, trying to decide what ride I want to get on in which park even a week before I arrive is ridiculous. I live by schedules and calendars all the time and now a Disney vacation is getting where it's necessary to plan out every second of every day in advance. I get that I can choose to wait and get FP in the park the day of, but let's be realistic. If everyone else is gobbling up the popular rides in advance waiting until the day of is not an option unless I just want to take the leftovers.

2.) Number of selections - 3 is way too few selections. Under the old system we were very careful about our FP selections and were able to get 5-6, even 7, per day which really enabled us to maximize our park time and enjoy ourselves. I don't care how "next-gen" you make a queue, I don't want to spend 45 min or an hour standing in line. Only allowing 3 per day is ridiculous, especially when you're including almost every ride as a potential selection now. 5 would be a more reasonable number.

3.) Limitations - The current tests at Epcot and DHS are ridiculous. For instance, my favorite rides are Soarin and Test Track, but now you're telling me I can't get a Fastpass for both? I realize this is a test and I hope it's quickly realized this test is a failure. Guests shouldn't be told what rides they can and cannot get a Fastpass for. If the FP is available, guests should be able to choose what they want. And by limiting the FP selections to 1 park, rather than multiple parks per day, you're essentially killing the value of the park hopper option.

4.) New queues - Putting FP lines at attractions like Journey into Imagination and Pirates of the Caribbean is another huge mistake. Neither of those rides, along with several others, needs a Fastpass line. At least not during the non-peak times of the year. I would suggest making those seasonal FP options during peak times. At Pirates now everyone has to go through 1 standby line which has increased wait times considerably while the other side, the FP line, is basically empty.

5.) Why change? - Once Disney made the decision to start enforcing return times I thought the previous FP system was pretty much perfect. It worked great and flowed smooth. There was no need for a change. With this change Disney has failed to enhance the guest experience and has, in fact, very negatively altered it.

6.) Accessibility - While this is not an issue for me, it is for others - no smartphones. Not everyone has a smartphone so they can't fully experience the MDE app and are at a real disadvantage in the parks. Also, the way you have the FP+ system set up the guest essentially has to have a room and tickets pre-purchased in order to use it. The accessibility issue has created mass confusion and frustration. I moderate a Disney fan site and I can tell you the discussion boards are filled with angry guests who truly hate the FP+ system. You might want to dismiss discussion boards, but these aren't random people posting. These are long term guests and fans of the Disney parks who are feeling angry and alienated by this debacle called Fastpass+.

I could go on and give several other faults, but I think my point is made. The fact that I'm cancelling my Annual Pass, no longer considering DVC, and, for the first time since before my children were born have no Disney vacation planned beyond a working trip in January 2014 really saddens me. I hope Disney will listen to the guest feedback on this. If so, we'll eagerly resume our Disney vacations. But if not, our vacation dollars will be spent elsewhere.

Thank you for taking the time to listen.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely written. I can only wonder what their response will be beyond the generic reply that is usually sent out.

We will be there in 4 weeks to try the system out first hand. It bothered me that we have to plan our visit out to the minute. No more spontaneity, just running back and forth from one pass location to another. Don't even get me started on the only one park issue as well. So much for park hopping.

Let us know how Disney replies.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely will, Brian. The good news is while I sent this to the standard guest relations I also have done several teaching conferences with one the head VPs (and will be with him again in January) so I sent it directly to him, too. Hopefully they'll make some adjustments or scrap the system totally.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, this is a sad state of affairs. You've written it all out beautifully, addressing all the issues. It really does break my heart a bit to hear about even one guest feeling so disheartened by the experience, and I know you're one of very many to feel this way. And I don't even work for Disney! I can't imagine that anyone who feels real passion for their work could fail to be moved by your letter.

Fingers crossed that yours and probably many other guest letters and complaints fall on willing ears and changes are made. I want it all fixed. I don't even know what to expect for my next visit, which will be in early April 2014, and I'll be at the Dolphin. It doesn't bode well. We might decide to make it a resort-only visit, since we'll be there for a conference. Time will tell. But, well done, Chris.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

That's awesome. Very objective and professional. Although I doubt you will get anything other than the standard reply - I hope that "behind the scenes" they are taking this into consideration. You have inspired me to write as well - this entire FP change literally has altered our vacation plans and we are doing Universal instead this next summer. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach before I come back.
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't I read the other day that they have actually been working on this system for 5 years? I just can't see them scrapping it now. And, (not to be a Debbie Downer) as long as the parks are as crowded as they have been reported to be I can't see them changing anything soon. Sorry, still it's worth a try.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your letter with us, Chris. I am waiting for our next trip so I can observe and experience what it is currently like first hand. I know what I experienced in August when I did not have the bands and/or access to fastpass+. On our next trip, we will have both so will see how it goes.....
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

5.) Why change? - Once Disney made the decision to start enforcing return times I thought the previous FP system was pretty much perfect. It worked great and flowed smooth. There was no need for a change. With this change Disney has failed to enhance the guest experience and has, in fact, very negatively altered it.

I agree with this. Once the fastpass times were being enforced, the ONLY thing that I think could have improved the fastpass experience would be to have the more centrally located machines, and so we would not have to go all the way to the attraction to pick up the fast pass.

We started to see this some in Fantasyland where you could pick up your Fastpass for Winnie the Pooh next to Philharmagic...

It seems they were starting to do this....

ALSO, I will miss the days of being able to gift my unused fastpasses. It was always so cool to be able to help someone out who was entering a long queue, or to be the recipient of someone's kindness.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Great letter !
    I hope someone at Disney listen and does something about it.

We're going right after Christmas and while I should be excited, all of this FP+ nonsense is taking that away. It is the most crowded time at Disney and only having 3 FP+ per day is ridiculous !

Post Thanks / Like

nice job. I don't want to have to plan where I will be each minute either. part of the fun was seeing random things, meet and greets, watching shows wo planning to ahead of time, etc.
    as stated , not all of us use smartphones all the time for planning, booking. and one in my party may not have a pass to link to the bands until we arrive
    ill be there on the 30th and see how things go.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your letter.

I agree with much of it, although I'll say that letting people get more than 3 FP+ selections would make things even more worse for locals and guests staying off-site than the whole FP+ testing has already been for us.

With the current 3 FP+ selection system, locals and off-site guests are showing up and, with a large chunk of FP slots already 'pre-booked,' are finding long standby lines and late FP return times even when they arrive early. Giving people 5 or more FP+ selections just means that Soarin' and Test Track and the other E-ticket level attractions will run out of FP that much sooner. I understand that would benefit you staying in a Disney hotel, but if you push on the balloon on your side, it protrudes on my side because of the way FP+ is set up. That's why they went to the 1 premium setup at Epcot and Hollywood Studios, they were angering local passholders and off-site guests.

I'd be all in favor of being able to pre-book one attraction only, and then having the traditional paper FP system for the rest. That would allow people to book their can't-miss attraction but not at the expense of the flexibility the traditional FP system allowed. Disney seems bent on going all FP+ and doing away with the traditional system however so who knows hos this mess will turn out.

Post Thanks / Like

It is unfortunate and sad to say that I agree with your points outlined in your letter. While I have not experienced the new system yet, from what I have been reading everyday here online via members reports, not one person likes or says that the system works.

Having a June 2014 trip planned, not having a smartphone myself, having a room-only reservation without tickets purchased ahead of time, I am very concerned that our "Disney" part of the trip may be really wasteful.

Good luck with getting someone to listen and respond and let us know about your answer from them.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, thanks for sharing your very well-written (and personal) letter with us all. I encourage everyone to voice their opinions directly to Disney who have firsthand experience with FP+. They may have spent years and billions on this program, but clearly they have NOT succeeded in improving the guest experience. I cannot imagine being a first-time Disney guest and have to navigate this nightmare.

It saddens me greatly when I hear so many of our members having such utter disdain for what we all used to call "The Most Magical Place on Earth". I can honestly say that for the first time in 14 years my family has no trips in the pipeline, and I am secretly relieved that I will not have to witness the frustration that is rampant with the rollout of FP+. These are not just hiccups and I sure hope that Disney Corporate is not too blind to see it.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Sad to hear you feel this way about the new FP+ system. I will be trying it in two weeks and have already had changes in my plans that will negate at least one day of those pre-selected FP+ options.

I would think that it would be easy for The Disney Company to see that this is an ill-advised and ill-implemented (to this point, at least) idea.

Simplify it by:

1) Issuing all ticket media as MagicBand. This would include allowing AP holders to customize their band(s) upon ordering their AP/renewal.

2) Keep the "original" style of FP, but instead of printing out paper passes, link them to the bands & MDE immediately. (This would still be problematic for those without smartphones, but would allow for an 'on demand' FastPass system.) The same type of device used for scanning the RFID on the band for park entry could be used to "attach" your FastPass to the band.

3) Add FastPass 'selectors' to a central locations inside the entries of each park, as well as installing the "new" 'selectors' at the attraction itself. This would negate the 'run to the attraction for FP' at rope drop, yet allow for those visitors already in the park to get FastPasses (if available) at the attraction rather than having to head back to the 'central location'

ONLY HAVE FASTPASSES/FASTPASS SELECTORS FOR ATTRACTIONS THAT HAVE "NEEDED" THEM IN THE PAST. CONTINUOUS LOADING ATTRACTIONS DO NOT "NEED" FASTPASS.

4) Maintain the "2 hours, or any time after the window opens for your currently held FastPass" rule for obtaining your next FastPass.

5) Maintain the "window" for FastPass return times. If you cannot get there within the 60 minute window, sorry, you missed your chance. Hop in the Stand-By queue.

6) If The Disney Company wants to 'reward' those who stay 'on property', then devise a way to allow people to select one park to receive "all day" FastPasses - sort of like they had with the YoAMD FastPass cards that were given out. One FastPass per attraction that is usable any time during park hours - including EMH - on that specific day.

None of this is, or should be, earth shattering or all that difficult to implement. The system already had aware of any outstanding FastPasses on a visitors' account - How else would they be able to deny you a FastPass if you already held one and were not eligible for a new one?

Whoever came up with this current implementation of - "Let's see how difficult and confusing we can make the FastPass system" - should be sent back to whatever school they got their IT (or Marketing) degree from and be forced to start learning it again from scratch.

If I find that the system fails me on my upcoming trip, I may copy this verbatim and send to The Disney Company, and anyone else who will listen!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fp+

Having been on these boards a number of years, I am also disappointed in the feedback for FP+

I'll experience this program first hand at #runICOT. I will be sure to give my feedback as well.

I like the idea of keeping the magic bands and a centralized kiosk when you come into a park where you can say "we will be here till 3, then head over to MK so lets see if RnR is available before then.." If not, we are waiting in line or skipping it.

Sure, use the Magic Bands but make sure its fair. That way, you don't alienate the people who aren't staying on site. You have to be in the park to use them. You won't get unused fastpasses for people who intended on spending their day at DHS but went to MK instead, leaving their TSM passes to waste.

I will also miss the "magic" fastpasses when we were too hungry to use and handed to a group of people headed toward the line.

We have smartphones but keeping the DME application up and running the entire time I'm in a park is annoying as well. I'm already annoyed by the constant phone checks in the parks by my family. Heads down, scrolling while in line. But that's another story.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent Letter.....My feelings exactly!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your letter with us Chris, well thought out and well written. I'm interested in seeing their response.

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    You won't get unused fastpasses for people who intended on spending their day at DHS but went to MK instead, leaving their TSM passes to waste.
    We're trying to get down for a quick weekend in January. Had a weekend booked and set up but then found out that DS18 had a county track meet. Changed everything, went in to get new FP+ and there were the old ones, even though everything is "linked" they didn't cancel. I had to go in and cancel them. Think of how many slots will go unused with people canceling or changing reservations.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Beautifully written and well thought-out letter, Chris.
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

Great letter!!! I hope they do get back to you and at least try to explain what is going to happen in the future of this mess.. I too will not be renewing my AP passes next year. I have until March and I really haven’t given it much thought if I want to go back from now till then. I was looking forward to going during Spring Break again, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle... It's really sad this is happening. I feel for all the families that are coming down here and have no clue what they are in for.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why not try writing to the Board of Directors?

Chairman of the Board
    The Walt Disney Company
    500 South Buena Vista St.
    Burbank, CA 91521-0931

I will be there in May and am now gearing up for what may or may not be a major headache. I am hoping this system gets the attention it needs by my trip dates. Good luck to those that are and will experience this new Fast Pass + ...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: