Quantcast Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

Hello!

My family is planning a trip to Disneyland in March. We are trying to decide between these 2 hotels. Surprisingly, the cost is not that different. We have 2 kids, ages 11 and 14. What are your thoughts??? Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a hard decision. Grand Californian is a spectacular hotel. It's direct entry to California Adventure is very convenient, and it is in the middle of downtown Disney.
    1982 - Offsite
    1985 & 1988 - Contemporary
    1990 & 1992 - Polynesian
    1994 - Old Key West
    1996 - Boardwalk / Old Key West
    1999 - Caribbean Beach
    2000 & 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2002 & 2007 - Boardwalk
    2005 - Beach Club
    2008 - Beach Club Villas

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know...we LOVE the Grand, and have stayed there several times. We are headed to CA in May and our kids asked for the Disneyland Hotel. They really want to try out those monorail waterslides. Also, rooms at the DLH are larger than the Grand. The rooms have a daybeds. Only a TINY number of rooms at the Grand have a daybed. The rooms there are similar in size to the Wilderness Lodge and the majority only have two beds, or a queen and bunk beds.

I also really think the DLH, since tbe refurbishment, has a much better theme going on than the Grand. The best part of the Grand are its public spaces and restaurants, and anyone can enjoy those.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland Hotel, all the way! I do think, at the ages your kids are at, that they'd enjoy DLH more.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with either. Kids might lean a bit toward the Disneyland Hotel.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

My family has stayed at the GC 4 times now, and we always have a great time. Lots of amenities to keep everyone happy (game room, lobby hangout, restaurants, pools and hot tubs, etc). Now, I have older kids (two teenagers and a 9 year-old), so you might like the DH better if you have smaller kids since that hotel has rooms with a true Disney theme. GC has the craftsman-style rooms with very virtually no Disney theme (except for the hidden mickey in the carpet). But, either way I'm sure you'll have great fun!

Post Thanks / Like

My vote would be Disneyland Hotel! Both are great but I like the classic Disney themeing a bit better and the pool is great! Plus, I like the Trader Sams and the quick service restaurant right next store.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the same thing: which resort. It's a $300 difference. It will be myself, DH, DD17 and BFF 17. Last time we stayed at PPH; but I don't want to stay there this time.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
    I was wondering the same thing: which resort. It's a $300 difference. It will be myself, DH, DD17 and BFF 17. Last time we stayed at PPH; but I don't want to stay there this time.
    What does your family prefer? For a $300 difference, it really comes down to which one appeals to you most at this point, based on pictures. I will say, if you are comparing "standard" rooms at each, you will have a nicer view at GCH as well as a balcony. No balconies at DLH and most standard rooms have pretty bad views. When we stay at the Grand, we always book standard and we have always loved our room view and location. The non standard view rooms there tend to be at the end of some LONG hallways.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

My family stayed at the GCH last year in April for 5 days, and we paid a rate of $308/night. I've been reading some recent postings that the price has jumped to $600/night, which is really high in my opinion. Personally, I was able to budget in the $308/night into our vacation plans, but if the rate has truly risen to $600/night I probably wouldn't stay at the GCH. It's a very nice experience, but not at that price IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    My family stayed at the GCH last year in April for 5 days, and we paid a rate of $308/night. I've been reading some recent postings that the price has jumped to $600/night, which is really high in my opinion. Personally, I was able to budget in the $308/night into our vacation plans, but if the rate has truly risen to $600/night I probably wouldn't stay at the GCH. It's a very nice experience, but not at that price IMHO.
    If you paid $308 per night, that was a discounted rate. Rack rate at the Grand is close to $400/night much of the time. Rack rate for a standard room can be as high as $585 during peak dates.

It's not worth rack rate. None of the Disney resorts are. That is why discounts exist.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I love both places, but Disneyland Hotel is so nice since the refurbishment! So I guess that would be my pick.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    What does your family prefer? For a $300 difference, it really comes down to which one appeals to you most at this point, based on pictures. I will say, if you are comparing "standard" rooms at each, you will have a nicer view at GCH as well as a balcony. No balconies at DLH and most standard rooms have pretty bad views. When we stay at the Grand, we always book standard and we have always loved our room view and location. The non standard view rooms there tend to be at the end of some LONG hallways.
    What do the standard rooms overlook? Website doesn't say and woods view is an extra $44. And do all rooms have balconies? I would prefer to stay at GC and that is what I'm leaning towards. I plan on booking it this week with Terrisue.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Usually Standard rooms overlook the resort main entrance. You can see the DLH and Paradise Pier. Or, you may overlook the courtyard that the monorail goes through (if they haven't made that an upgraded view yet). As far as I know, there are a small handful of rooms at GCH without balcony, but the majority have full balconies.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Natalie
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid

Post Thanks / Like

Last June we requested a Courtyard view at Grand Californian when making our reservations through Magical Journeys. We had a great room that looked out over the Monorail line. We were lucky enough to be able to view the Disneyland fireworks from our balcony. I love the balconies, and in fact that is probably the biggest draw for me when it comes to the GCH. To us it was worth the extra approx $30 a night to have that Courtyard room over the Standard.
    Last edited by tinkwest; 03-23-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add last sentence
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

We have had the Courtyard view room twice and loved it. It is so peaceful. And we could also see the fireworks because we were higher up. We had the "other" standard view two times as well, and it was actually quite lovely with a nice view of the sunset at night. All the lights from the two other hotels are really pretty at night as well.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Terrisue booked the GC/Woods View for me today. It was worth the extra $47 for the view for the 4 days in my opinion. I'm excited to stay here this time (last time was PPH).
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at both. I was at the DVC villas with a theme park view... just incredible. At the Disneyland Hotel, we were in the Adventure Tower (using DVC points) with a theme park view. Also incredible.

Of the two, I liked the Disneyland Hotel better. I loved the large room, and we had a view of the fireworks with the music piped in.

My 14yo DD loved the slide better at DLH. I also like Tangaroa Terrace. The Grand Cal is very nice and I love the entrance into DCA. Especially after getting wet on GRR. Whitewater snacks at GCH is a nice quick service and they have great nachos.

If I can't use my points at GCH, I would certainly use them at the DLH any day. To me, the DLH just seems to be a bit more magical with all of the Disney touches. The GCH has more elegance to it's theming.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    If you paid $308 per night, that was a discounted rate. Rack rate at the Grand is close to $400/night much of the time. Rack rate for a standard room can be as high as $585 during peak dates.

It's not worth rack rate. None of the Disney resorts are. That is why discounts exist.
    You are right. I checked again, and we actually paid $505/night. The $308 was an upgrade charge to the next level of room. Yikes, I must have really wanted to please my wife and kids on that trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: