Quantcast Upset with fastpass+ ??? - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedHead View Post
    A few thoughts on FP+.

I am here at WDW now, the first time in a few years (dang work keeps gerting in the way!), a FL resident and have been countless times since my first trip in 1972.

Due to unforseen circumstances, we didn't even get into MK until after noon, and had dining reservations for less than an hour after our arrival - no time for looking for FP+ info. After lunch with Pooh, we headed for Adventureland....and the first thing we encountered was a temp FP+ station, in shade, well-staffed. While we had our tickets in advance and had tried to do FP+ ahead of time, we were informed that FP+ was still in testing phase, and resort guests had access in advance now, then it would move down to AP holders (and hopefully then FL resident sasonal passes), etc. To me, important words: STILL IN TESTING PHASE. Changes to improve it WILL come!

We got BMTRR and its a small world FP+s for 1 and 2 hours out, respectively. No, you cannot have 2 FP+s within the same window. Yes, our Space Mountain FP+ was for 9:30, but for getting it after 3pm, we considered it fortunate to get one at all, and without running from one end of MK to the other to even see if it was available! We had time to wander, savor, see the new parts of Fantasyland (no, no sign of functioning dwarves!), ride the rides we wanted and more....with very short FP lines, and some moderate standby lines.

I do suggest that at least one member of each party download/use the My Disney Experience app...very helpful for managing FP+s, wait times, character appearances, etc. And, if you use ATT as your carrier, turn on your wifi and use it to save your data plan (No, I do NOT work for them; I just monitor my data usage closely!)

Here is where I really get into trouble. On a number of Disney boards, I see complaints about the number of FP+s available per day/park, tiered structure, and how Disney is ruining their 12FP a day, all E-ticket ride day with this.

What I see is greed and selfishness. When a few people monopolize the "good" FP, what about everyone else? Since resort hotel users, then AP holders have/will have first access, how would a day user or a newbie have a chance to one of those rides without an hour+ wait?

For the local/AP holder (amd I have been one!), the "I can't get 10 E-ticket FP+s to ride every time" - you also get to go to WDW frequently, AND can go in the slower seasons/off days/for an evening when the park is open late and ride many of these rides with little line/wait. The visitor who travels far, comes rarely, or even as a once in a lifetime visit doesn't have that advantage.

Sometimes, it seems like we run through the Parks just for those E-ticket rides as if it's the local carnival, and don't slow down to savor the Disney Experience. Even now, 42 years after my first visit, I'm still finding new experiences that don't involve rides, new things and changes (some good, some not in my opinion.....just whose idea was the Stitch ride?), the shows, the architecture, the landscaping....all a part of the Disney Experience. If all I want is a quick thrill ride, I can go for carnival rides at my local fair or parish festival.

Okay, I know I've upset some folks. Sure, we should be entitled to our money's worth. Everyone has different values and different expectations.

But let's bring it down to common courtesy....I've been tripped over and shoved by those running for their 12th FP, been clipped by the double stroller when Mom is ignoring what is in her path, been hoked at by the gent in the electric scooter because I wasn't going fast enough and need to get out of his way.....this doesn't make for the most Magical Place on Earth.

Let's help by making some Magic for each other and our fellow guests.

I typically pass over most threads regarding FP+, but for some reason I read the first posts in this thread and realized they didn't seem to be the "same old thing" and then I came to this post.

Thank you RedHead, for your terrific take on things. I agree with many of your points, especially regarding that everyone has different expectations and that we should make magic for each other and our fellow guests. To me, WDW has always been so much than thrill rides; I've always enjoyed exploring each park, enjoying the live entertainment, the architecture, etc., etc., etc.

Have a wonderful time in WDW, and if you see Cinderella, Goofy and Dopey, tell them hi for me and I'll see them in 2 months.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My family and I have been to Walt Disney World many times and just looking at the website gets me so aggravated that this will be our last trip.

I have a friend whose family is going for the first time next year. I don't even have the foggiest notion of how to begin to tell them to plan their trip.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually found that taking it step by step, instead of looking at it as one huge mess, makes it very easy and simple.

It's a lot easier than visiting a large city and try to plan on which museums, restaurants, tours, shows, etc to see. With MDE, everything is in one place and connected together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post

It's a lot easier than visiting a large city and try to plan on which museums, restaurants, tours, shows, etc to see. With MDE, everything is in one place and connected together.
    Not really. If I am visiting a large city, I can call my travel agent and be given all the assistance I need. I don't have to muddle through a poorly designed website by myself to figure out how to get what I want.

Think they can make a Garmin for MDE?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Not really. If I am visiting a large city, I can call my travel agent and be given all the assistance I need. I don't have to muddle through a poorly designed website by myself to figure out how to get what I want.

Think they can make a Garmin for MDE?
    That's weird. You let your TA decide which restaurants and shows and tours you want to go on?

I think the day of the TA is slowly dying with the expanse of the internet. I don't know anyone under 30 who has ever used a TA, but that might just be a subjective experience.

I research and book all restaurants, tours, shows, etc every time I've busted DC, NYC, Boston, and Vegas. It takes a lot of planning. Then, I end up carrying around a folder with a dozen sheets of paper with all my info and confirmations for each thing I have planned.

But maybe that's just me. I think this is easier.

I can totally see how FP+ is a detriment to some people. But FP+ is only one part of the Next Gen system that overall seems to be working quite well now.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't confuse having a TA assist you, with having a TA make all your travel plans for you. A good example would be Magical Journeys, used by many people here. They don't plan your trip for you, but people obviously greatly appreciate their help in getting their trips booked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Don't confuse having a TA assist you, with having a TA make all your travel plans for you. A good example would be Magical Journeys, used by many people here. They don't plan your trip for you, but people obviously greatly appreciate their help in getting their trips booked.
    Right!
    A TA can tell you the options, then you decide what you want to do, you tell your TA, and then they handle all the bookings of hotels, restaurant ressies, shows, tours, etc. Some people like to do it that way, especially folks who don't have hours to spend on the internet trying to book everything themselves. I'm surprised there are not more TA companies advertising online already saying: "Let us make your ADR's and FP+ bookings at WDW for you."
    It would be a lot easier and I bet a lot of people would pay for the service.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

That's weird. You let your TA decide which restaurants and shows and tours you want to go on?
    Let's put it into a more realistic perspective.

I am going to Disney World with 6 other people. Therefore we need two rooms. It is a nightmare for me to figure out how to link dining, fastpasses, etc for everyone.

A couple of years ago, we had a family reunion on a cruise. I booked 5 rooms. We told the travel agent when and where we wanted to eat, sightsee, etc and it was done. Voila!

Guess where our vacation money will be going after we get through this trip . . . or should I say won't be going?

Post Thanks / Like

Can we all remember that this is still in testing?

I just finished reading in another thread how easy it was for some people to link multiple reservations together so they can all book FP and dining together and be under the same banner.

I have done it myself, but if assume that the "add another reservation" or "invite friends" buttons might be a start?

I think all this difficult "linking" hoopla will become second nature very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we all remember that this is still in testing?

I just finished reading in another thread how easy it was for some people to link multiple reservations together so they can all book FP and dining together and be under the same banner.

I have done it myself, but if assume that the "add another reservation" or "invite friends" buttons might be a start?

I think all this difficult "linking" hoopla will become second nature very quickly.
    I agree. This is all new and hopefully not only will people get more used to the process, but Disney will improve it as well.

In the meantime, people are experiencing very genuine frustrations and problems, not all related to just not knowing how to do it, but with bugs in Disney's system. And, they want to express it here.

Post Thanks / Like

It's only me and my husband going so I'm not linking in a bunch of people but I've found MDE pretty easy to use. I've booked fastpasses and dining reservations. I put in reminders about parades, shows and fireworks. I did not buy our park passes through Disney. I purchased them through my husband's work but was able to link the tickets into MDE.

Don't get me wrong. I totally understand that some people are frustrated and having issues with it. I'm just stating that it all seemed to work ok for me.
    November 2018 - Coronado Springs/Pop Century
    October 2017 - Disneyland
    March 2017 - All Star Sports & Boardwalk
    October 2015 - AKL Kidani
    March/April 2014 - Pop Century Resort
    Nov/Dec 2005 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    Nov/Dec 2004 - Pop Century Resort
    February 2003 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Let's put it into a more realistic perspective.

I am going to Disney World with 6 other people. Therefore we need two rooms. It is a nightmare for me to figure out how to link dining, fastpasses, etc for everyone.

A couple of years ago, we had a family reunion on a cruise. I booked 5 rooms. We told the travel agent when and where we wanted to eat, sightsee, etc and it was done. Voila!

Guess where our vacation money will be going after we get through this trip . . . or should I say won't be going?
    I feel the same way. Once our youngest is old enough to enjoy the kids clubs we are back to cruising. We are just doing Disney this year since it is so baby friendly. I don't like cruising with a baby.

I am having the same issues with multiple parties.

I have been to many large cities; Berlin, Munich, London, Paris, Vienna, and Rome to name a few, and this is by far the most frustrated I have even been planning a vacation.

It isn't my first time at Disney either. I have taken four trips in the past ten years and countless trips as a child and young adult.

My only saving grace is the information that Terrisue from MJ sent me. I can't say enough nice things about this company. She sent me a ton of information about how to navigate the new system.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

We had issues with my band during our December trip. My husbands band was fine but my band did NOT allow me to use the FP+ option. Thank heavens they still had the room key cards and we were able to use them to get a FP for some of the rides.

We had a terrible experience at the Buzz Lightyear ride at MK. The wait time was 30 minutes so we decided to wait (30 min is our limit). We waited, and waited, and waited. We get to the front of the line and see a cast member with a counting ticker device in his hand. The ratio was 80 to 1. He counted 80 people in the FP line and let ONE party through from the standby line

Could NOT believe it. The cast member even had to motion to the FP people to hurry up and move along. Not once while the cast member had to "encourage" the FP people to move along did he let ANYONE enter from the standby line. This was the first time in all the years of going to WDW (20+ visits) that we did not have a magical time

I think we will notice that with the new system that the standby lines could be very long. I think that rides that, in the past, had little or no long waits will have longer wait times.

We are heading back in September and I certainly hope it's a better experience than it was in December.

I think Disney needs to rethink the new system
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry. Three fast passes is awesome. In some cases, it's most of the park's major attractions.

So you get three for your day in AK. That's EE, Dino, Safari, and then you have to wait for Kali River Rapids and/or another attraction. That's over half your ride experience without major rides.

Same with EPCOT. Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space. Sorry, fans, you may have to wait for Norway (or just time it so you're there in the evening or right when WS opens).

Hollywood Studios. Tower of Terror. Rockin Roller Coaster (get them for back to back times!) and Toy Story. I'll do Star Tours and GMR when the crowds clear. I don't even mind waiting in those long lines because again, over half my ride experience was reduced.

MK is the only place where there are so many rides, so you'll have to be really strategic here, but its still not awful. I'll miss the day parade to ride Space Mountain. No one ever said you do all of Disney in one trip.

I get the impression that no one wants to wait in any lines. That's not possible. People are upset about having to over-plan, but most of us are over planners anyway. I was upset at first, but I adapted and now it's no big deal.

If you ask me, a three-limit is good. I think its fair. Families like mine (who absolutely cannot afford to stay on site) won't even be able to book until we get in the parks. I'm glad there will be passes for the rest of us!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VacationDisney View Post
    I think we will notice that with the new system that the standby lines could be very long. I think that rides that, in the past, had little or no long waits will have longer wait times.
    I have been hearing this from quite a few people who have been lately... and these are seasoned Disney folk who go the same times every year, so are well aware of wait times.

What I've heard mostly is that standby-lines are MUCH worse now that people are limited to 3 FP+ rides... their guess (and I would agree) is that now people are being forced into standby to ride a favorite more than once (aka only one Tier 1 ride/day... craziness....) or to even get on a secondary favorite that they used to FP easily.

We always were able to FP 5-6 rides/day... and we didn't abuse the system. If we arrived at 9am, we'd score a FP by 9:15 for our #1 ride, and have to wait until maybe 10:30 for a second one. We'd ride, pick up FP#2 and the third was usually available by noon. This was normal for us... by 9pm, we'd have ridden everything we enjoy and usually twice, as we're always willing to do standby if we chose a FP for something else, or if they're gone.

Now, with the new system, people are riding their 3 rides by noon or 1, and waiting for everything else... and standby lines are CRAZY long... or so I'm hearing. It'll be awhile before we go, so I'm hoping the bugs get worked out, or that at least the daily FP+ number gets raised, because otherwise, I'm thinking less and less people are going to pay $95/day to ride 3 favorite rides. You get WAY more bang for your buck almost anywhere else.

(and yes, I realize Disney is not just about the rides - we'd go, just for the ambiance. But we are in the minority on that one - I'm stating a more "generalized" view on the parks/rides with that statement. )
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We are planning a trip in Sept. There will be 12 of us ranging in age from 5-83. We booked 3 rooms. I had no trouble figuring out how to link our reservations. I was able to make dining reservations and again had no trouble. I will report back in June when I am able to make fastpasses- but so far everything has been very easy to navigate thru.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VacationDisney View Post
    . . . .
    We had a terrible experience at the Buzz Lightyear ride at MK. The wait time was 30 minutes so we decided to wait (30 min is our limit). We waited, and waited, and waited. We get to the front of the line and see a cast member with a counting ticker device in his hand. The ratio was 80 to 1. He counted 80 people in the FP line and let ONE party through from the standby line

I think Disney needs to rethink the new system
    This makes we wonder is Disney is issuing more FPs now than they used to, becuase it seems that an 80 to 1 ratio is much higher than it used to be under the old FP system. I'd be curious to know from anyone who has accurate info from CMs or other insiders if the total number of FP+s per ride being issued now is significantly more than it used to be. Or if the ratios vary from ride to ride. I'm assuming that CMs have been given some type of directive on the ratio, and that they are not just allowed to "wing it".

IF there are greater numbers of FP being issued now, and the ratios are this high, then stand-by wait times will be significantly longer than they used to be, given the same park attendance numbers. That's good for the guests on the 3 rides they have a FP for; but bad for all the other attractions they want to experience. Makes we wonder why Disney is doing it this way.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    This makes we wonder is Disney is issuing more FPs now than they used to, becuase it seems that an 80 to 1 ratio is much higher than it used to be under the old FP system. I'd be curious to know from anyone who has accurate info from CMs or other insiders if the total number of FP+s per ride being issued now is significantly more than it used to be. Or if the ratios vary from ride to ride. I'm assuming that CMs have been given some type of directive on the ratio, and that they are not just allowed to "wing it".

IF there are greater numbers of FP being issued now, and the ratios are this high, then stand-by wait times will be significantly longer than they used to be, given the same park attendance numbers. That's good for the guests on the 3 rides they have a FP for; but bad for all the other attractions they want to experience. Makes we wonder why Disney is doing it this way.
    It doesn't sound like that was the case here. If there were more FPs being issued, the CM wouldn't have had to rush people through the FP line because there would have been plenty of people there already, using their FPs. I'm wondering whether people chose Buzz Lightyear as their FP choice because they HAD to make three picks, and then didn't use it because they never had to before. If they chose the 3 p.m. time and didn't bother to show up, then tried to get on the ride later, there goes their FP, plus they're in standby.

In any case, here's another example of lines being manufactured by a flawed system. It makes NO sense not to let in people waiting in standby if FP people haven't reached the entry point yet.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.