Quantcast I'm probably in the minority, but goodness that is NOT a value. - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that IS ridiculous. First time we went - and that was only 6 years ago, not exactly ancient history! - our moderate was $149/night. I think the values back then were about $87. I've gotta tell you - my INCOME sure hasn't doubled in that time!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why we never stay onsite unless we have a lot of Disney gift cards saved up (which we gladly accept as Christmas gifts) or if we are going to a convention (we've gotten 50% discounts on rooms). And we feel like, for what we're paying, it is not a luxurious.

Do we want to be surrounded by the magic? Sure, but its not a reality for us. We just cannot justify the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    This is due to typical corporate business. They will keep pushing prices up and up, justifying it by saying we are meeting some percentage of occupancy until they hit the tipping point. Once the tipping point is crossed, customers are alienated and it takes years to regain them.

I personally wouldn't stay in a value resort for $49 per night. I hate them with a passion as all they are is a cheap Days Inn with cheap theming. Moderates are a little better value but I get much better accommodations offsite for the same or less and get free breakfast and other amenities. As for the "deluxe" WDW resorts, most of them are nothing more than your average nice resort but with 3 times the rate.

We visit various areas on vacations and Orlando has some of the nicest resorts and hotels at the best prices you will find anywhere. There are so many of them in the area, it is always easy to find what you are looking for if you just take the time.

I stopped staying onsite several years ago for these reasons. I have used nice hotels on International Drive and walked up and down the streets at Midnight without any problems. I think some of the bad stories you hear about offsite hotels are from people who use a $40 per night hotel chain and are then shocked to find out it is run down when they get there. We all know which ones they are and I just avoid them. Also, trip advisor and some of the other travel sites are good resources for finding out the state of a hotel and its surroundings.
    Very true.
    Though I have stayed at some $40 a night ones and some aren't bad. They are just economy. Nothing fancy. Continental breakfast. Clean.

You'd think some people only stay at the Ritz Carlton with their views on what they get for $40. Come one. You know you're not going to have turn down service or super sound proof rooms. And that a continental breakfast doesn't mean eggs Benedict and 5 grain pancakes. Cereal, donuts, pastries!

Like I said earlier, we love Champions World on 192. Economy, covered heated pool. Nice lounge area. Decent rooms, CLEAN. Not bad for $40 something.
    This weekend, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, we are staying at Roomba Inn & Suites. They are undergoing renovations to upgrade, so the rooms are looking nice.
    Nothing fancy, but again 3 nights for $130 something. Yeah, we'll take it and my sons, ages 5 and 7, will have a blast.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally wouldn't stay in a value resort for $49 per night. I hate them with a passion as all they are is a cheap Days Inn with cheap theming.
    The Values were all my kids wanted to be at. Kids love the "cheap" theming. Which it’s not, through a child’s eye that was the most awesome sight to see their favorite movie, sports, music & now Pop character/figure in front of your room. The values were and still are a great place for the smaller kids to go. They are fun resorts, but the price is getting so high that they are becoming less attractive to the parents. I will give you that they are not the biggest and best rooms, but for a 2-12 year and older they are fun. It was the first place the kids got to hang out at night alone. We always felt safe letting them roam around and go to the arcade. We have stayed in every level and if you ask all the kids we travel with they choose the All-stars over the big resorts. I guess they liked the fact that they could be kids there and it wouldn’t bother other guest. I just took my DS 10 for a few days and we stayed at Coronado Springs and as we walked up to the hotel he said “this is not Disney". I guess it depends on your kids... Mine always had good times at the All-stars We have such great memories from them. Now it’s AOA or nothing for him. If we travel with the older ones we stay off property because they are always bringing friends...
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    The Values were all my kids wanted to be at. Kids love the "cheap" theming. Which it’s not, through a child’s eye that was the most awesome sight to see their favorite movie, sports, music & now Pop character/figure in front of your room. The values were and still are a great place for the smaller kids to go. They are fun resorts, but the price is getting so high that they are becoming less attractive to the parents. I will give you that they are not the biggest and best rooms, but for a 2-12 year and older they are fun. It was the first place the kids got to hang out at night alone. We always felt safe letting them roam around and go to the arcade. We have stayed in every level and if you ask all the kids we travel with they choose the All-stars over the big resorts. I guess they liked the fact that they could be kids there and it wouldn’t bother other guest. I just took my DS 10 for a few days and we stayed at Coronado Springs and as we walked up to the hotel he said “this is not Disney". I guess it depends on your kids... Mine always had good times at the All-stars We have such great memories from them. Now it’s AOA or nothing for him. If we travel with the older ones we stay off property because they are always bringing friends...
    Oh yeah, heck, I love the values myself!!! They are fun which is why I wanted to stay again. I'm just going to wait until after the holiday!! I'd totally pay $49!!

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    I can see your points. Like most things, especially at WDW, it depends upon the family. There are variables such as other types of vacations you take and resorts you have visited. We tried the Values when the kids were younger around 8 or 9. After trying them, we would ask where they wanted to stay on future trips and they always and I mean always say Fort Wilderness Cabins. Their second choice and my favorite is the Boardwalk resorts. It doesn't matter which, we like them all but they are up around $500 a night or even more at times now.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see your points. Like most things, especially at WDW, it depends upon the family. There are variables such as other types of vacations you take and resorts you have visited. We tried the Values when the kids were younger around 8 or 9. After trying them, we would ask where they wanted to stay on future trips and they always and I mean always say Fort Wilderness Cabins. Their second choice and my favorite is the Boardwalk resorts. It doesn't matter which, we like them all but they are up around $500 a night or even more at times now.
    I love the cabins!! I've only stayed once, and 7 of us pitched in so it was inexpensive.
    I really want to take my sons to the camp ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with the original post. Room prices have gone crazy. Ten years ago, we easily stayed at the deluxe resorts. I used to be able to get affordable, discounted rates with an AP. I don't find that to be the case anymore. We have found nice, clean, affordable accommodations offsite. They are much less expensive even when factoring in paying to park. That being said, we are staying at the AoA this trip in a family suite. I could have gotten us a 2br/2ba condo for $120 a night offsite, but my kids REALLY wanted to stay on property. My DD6 doesn't ever remember us ever staying on property, so it will be a treat for her. She's our youngest, so she's still enamored by everything Disney. I figure she's only going to be little for a short time, so we decided to stay onsite. However, I certainly wouldn't say that staying at AoA is a "value"!
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday afternoon Feb 15 booked the Lake Buena Vista Palace for that night and Sunday Feb16 hotels dot com for $125/night. Beautiful luxury room 22ndfloor looking out at DTD . Don't overlook non-Disney resorts.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

We are staying at the Dolphin this trip, and I can't wait. Still can walk to EP and HS, get my SPG points, and a king room for only $139 (teacher rate). Yes, there's a $20 resort rate, but that's pretty standard and we are used to it. Long sturdy short, I am getting 3 nights for not very much more than one at one of the Disney "Deluxes."

Post Thanks / Like

Last summer I paid 180 at pop. Last minute. I just booked AKL for first week july at $266.
    As a reference in my small town hi express is $110/ night.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

The rack rates are generally going to be a terrible idea. People trying to be spontaneous with Disney are actually getting robbed and subsidizing everyone else.

On a personal note, I am constantly receiving enticements to go back to WDW. It is hard for me to believe that all of these rate increases are really a response to the market, because they haven't worked this hard to hand me discounts off the retail rates since the post-9/11 travel decline. They don't offer me discounts because they like my smile, they offer them because they need people to come to WDW. If they're selling out their published retail rates, they don't need to offer me any discount to join them.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a true "Value"? No.
    Is it the cheapest option to staying on Disney Property? Yes.
    Is it worth it? Depends on your preferences.

As long as people are willing to pay that premium to stay on Disney Property, WDW will continue to charge whatever they want... until they hit that tipping point where people stop paying. It really is that simple.

To me, I don't spend a lot of time at the resorts (other than sleep), so I don't see the point to spending extra $$ on a deluxe resort. Clearly, there are people that do see the point to paying that premium.

Same goes for the "Value" resorts. I enjoy being on Disney Property, and the "perks" that come along with that. Others don't. Doesn't make one way right or wrong... just means we all have different priorities.

At the end of the day, Disney is a for profit company, and they owe it to their shareholders to squeeze as many dollars out of their guests as possible. Unfortunately for some, the WDW vacation is getting too expensive to bring their families. But as long as the parks are crowded and the resorts are close to capacity, they aren't going to turn into a charity and charge $50 for something they can get $150 for.
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

Sam Eagle: "WILL YOU STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS!"
    Gonzo: "What Foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natedog24 View Post
    But as long as the parks are crowded and the resorts are close to capacity, they aren't going to turn into a charity and charge $50 for something they can get $150 for.
    What we may not know, as outsiders, is how many of those people booked with discounts of one form or another. Off-site guests may have landed a discount on their tickets, or are realizing some savings by pre-payment (APH, Florida resident pass, etc). On-site guests may be landing a discount on the tickets/room rates/dining package. At any given time, I suspect there is a certain percentage of people both on-site and day guests that are paying full retail for everything, but I am suspicious that there is a higher number not doing so these days than we've probably seen for 8-10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jmulvaney View Post
    We are staying at the Dolphin this trip, and I can't wait. Still can walk to EP and HS, get my SPG points, and a king room for only $139 (teacher rate). Yes, there's a $20 resort rate, but that's pretty standard and we are used to it. Long sturdy short, I am getting 3 nights for not very much more than one at one of the Disney "Deluxes."
    How in the world do you get a rate like that? Every time I look at the Swan/Dolphin, it's $350+ per night. I've heard of people getting great deals there, but i've never seen it. I'm not a public school teacher, but I work for a university and teach some classes. I wonder if I could get a "teacher's rate" like that. We'd like to stay there, but i'm not paying $350 for the privilege.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    How in the world do you get a rate like that? Every time I look at the Swan/Dolphin, it's $350+ per night. I've heard of people getting great deals there, but i've never seen it. I'm not a public school teacher, but I work for a university and teach some classes. I wonder if I could get a "teacher's rate" like that. We'd like to stay there, but i'm not paying $350 for the privilege.
    I actually just got it online on their website. Maybe because we are going the end of August it's low season? I booked it in March.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Join Starwood Preferred Guest.
    Last edited by brownie; 04-26-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: removed outside link reference
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. The prices are out of control. We almost always stay off property now. We are staying on property for our upcoming trip because we won't have a car and it's cheaper to stay on property than to rent a mini van for the week.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I am always surprised at the base prices, then if you want preferred or some other add on... , but not having to rent a car is so nice.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone noticed that the cabins at Fort Wilderness campground switched categories? Instead of the deluxe category, they are now in the moderate one. I don't get it. Is it because it is ironic to use the term "deluxe" when describing a cabin in the woods? Because the prices were not lowered.
    Susan A

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: