Quantcast Quick trip to California - Your thoughts please!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick trip to California - Your thoughts please!

We go to DisneyWorld all the time and its so relaxing because we know what to do, when to do it and how! I decided to take the plunge and go on a quick trip to Southern California with the kiddos (15 & 18). Of course we have to go to Disneyland for one day. My DH is sitting this trip out.

I thought it would be easy enough to go to the beach and Disneyland for the day but much more expensive/complicated then I thought (I don't want to be doing any public transportation and car services/taxi's are adding up.

So after thinking about it, I will take a shuttle from Long beach airport to hotel ($42) and rent a car Monday a.m. to go to beach and on Tuesday go to Warner Brothers or Paramount for a tour (we put in for Ellen tickets on Friday when they became available, keeping our fingers crossed!).

Originally was going to just take a shuttle/bus/car to Disneyland for the day Wed but then thought since its closer to Long beach airport, perhaps go Wed midday and get a room at Fairmount Marriot and go to DTD that night and then Disneyland the next day and leave around 7 p.m. for the airport from there.

My questions, will I be okay driving around Hollywood (probably won't go into downtown Los Angeles) and the beaches Monday and Tuesday, is it really that difficult? I work on the outskirts of Boston so traffic is part of my everyday but don't want to be stressed driving on vacation.

If we are at Disneyland from opening Thursday till 6:30 will that give us enough time to take in what is different then in Florida?

Must do's (i.e. getting fast passes) - California Screamin, Matterhorn, and Indiana Jones ride? Any other must sees? We would of course like to do TSM and Soarin but we won't be too upset if we can't.

Suggestions for eating? Not too expensive but a nice sit down before we fly all night.

I have read many other blogs, but you all usually have the best advice in one area!

Actually listening to Soarin music as I type this!

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions!
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    offsite- - Disneyland 2013
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988
    off site 1983, 1980, 1978, 1971

Go Pats!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are just going to be there for 3/4 of a day, do not do anything you can do in Florida. And sadly, even then you won't get everything in. Are you park hopping?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBarb View Post
    Must do's (i.e. getting fast passes) - California Screamin, Matterhorn, and Indiana Jones ride? Any other must sees? We would of course like to do TSM and Soarin but we won't be too upset if we can't.

Suggestions for eating? Not too expensive but a nice sit down before we fly all night.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions!
    Sounds like an exciting trip planned! 3/4 of a day at Disneyland will be short. Matterhorn and Indy are in DL while Screamin, TSM and Soarin are in Disney's California Adventure so you will need a park hopper to do all of these. TSM and Soarin are exactly the same as in FL except the queues are different. Space Mt is significantly different than MK and much better in CA in my opinion. Pirates and HM are moderately different than MK. Radiator Springs would be a must do for me but that is also in DCA and would require going there first.

When are you there? My favorite moderate "table service" is Cafe Orleans. Tables are available outside and inside. There are also very good counter service offerings such as Riverbelle Terrace. I suggest looking at the menus online to see what appeals to you the most.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we are park hopping! Good thought, will do all non-Florida rides and then what we can fit in after we will. Is Haunted Mansion different then Florida?
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988

Go Pats!

Post Thanks / Like

We are there end of April, I love sitting outside, after this winter anything in the 60s will do!
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988

Go Pats!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBarb View Post
    Yes, we are park hopping! Good thought, will do all non-Florida rides and then what we can fit in after we will. Is Haunted Mansion different then Florida?
    A few of the scenes are moderately different. If you are going during Halloween through Christmas, the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay is amazing.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Park hopping for 3/4 of a day, you will be pressed to get the unique things done. Without a doubt, do Pirates, Space Mountain and Small World at Disneyland. They are better than their WDW counterpart, and definitely worth doing. Haunted Mansion is one I would not waste time on, nor Splash or Big Thunder. There are so many unique Fantasyland rides not to miss - Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Storybookland, Alice in Wonderland, Casey Jr. And then like you mentioned, don't miss Indy and Matterhorn.

And then you have California Adventure. Carsland is amazing! You could spend a lot of time there. Soarin, Little Mermaid and TSMM are exactly the same. Don't waste time there!

There are very many nice places to eat that aren't sit down. At Disneyland, Carnation Cafe, Jolly Holiday, Cafe Orleans and Rancho del Zocala are some of my favs. At DCA, Taste Pilots, Pacific Wharf Cafe and Paradise Garden Grill are good.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify--are you staying at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott in the Disneyland area?

I have a thought. You mention that you're going to drive over to Disneyland (or the hotel) on Wednesday at midday and then go to downtown Disney that evening. Why not go earlier in the day, check in and let the hotel stow your bags and then go to the parks for the rest of the day? That way you would have most of Wednesday and Thursday to tour Disneyland and California Adventures. In fact, if you did a 2-day/1-park per day pass, it would only cost $31 more per person over the 1-day park hopper pass. Then you could do California Adventures one day and Disneyland the other day. Although I like strolling through Downtown Disney, it's generally the same as it is in Florida--shops and restaurants--and if it were me I don't know that I would would give up potential park time to go there.

My must-sees at Disneyland would be Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World, Mr. Toad (nostalgia!), Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio and the train (definitely a different experience at Disneyland than Disney World!) At California Adventures it would be Carsland, Screamin' and seeing the stage show Aladdin (which you might have time to do if you go two days).

As far as restaurants, I agree that Cafe Orleans is probably my favorite too, and a fairly decent value.

Good luck with the rest of your planning. An impromptu short trip sounds like great fun to me!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Just to clarify--are you staying at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott in the Disneyland area?

I have a thought. You mention that you're going to drive over to Disneyland (or the hotel) on Wednesday at midday and then go to downtown Disney that evening. Why not go earlier in the day, check in and let the hotel stow your bags and then go to the parks for the rest of the day? That way you would have most of Wednesday and Thursday to tour Disneyland and California Adventures. In fact, if you did a 2-day/1-park per day pass, it would only cost $31 more per person over the 1-day park hopper pass. Then you could do California Adventures one day and Disneyland the other day. Although I like strolling through Downtown Disney, it's generally the same as it is in Florida--shops and restaurants--and if it were me I don't know that I would would give up potential park time to go there.

!
    I have thought about that, it will really depend on how much time on Wednesday we will need to finish up the Hollywood touring. It will also depend on how late Disneyland is open!

I really appreciate everyones thought, it helps me a lot! Its hard to go somewhere new, but so excited!
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988

Go Pats!

Post Thanks / Like

We got back from our first ever DL trip in Jan after many trips to Florida. We spent 4 days and saw what I felt like was 90% of what it has to offer. Although similar it has a different feel to it, and I would definitely recommend taking advantage do an extra half day if you can.

Use the single rider line on Radiator springs racers to shave hours off your waiting time, and it is a ride you will not want to miss.

Carnation cafe on Main Street was our favorite meal and location from our trip. We had seating outside and watched the parade go by as we ate.

Have a great trip!
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Such great advice everyone! I knew you would all come through. Leaning towards going mid-day Wed and getting 2 day passes, it will really depend on park hours! I will let you know how we make out when we return!

DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988

Go Pats!

Post Thanks / Like

We have a driver on speed dial that took us to the beach from anaheim and picked us up for a hundred dollars. So much less stressful than driving. We use the same driver our entire trip when not going to DL, for that we took the shuttle. If you want the number let me know. We always travel on a budget and we find prices very reasonable..
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerlovr9000 View Post
    We have a driver on speed dial that took us to the beach from anaheim and picked us up for a hundred dollars. So much less stressful than driving. We use the same driver our entire trip when not going to DL, for that we took the shuttle. If you want the number let me know. We always travel on a budget and we find prices very reasonable..
    I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I did end up renting a car for part of the trip. Good news is that I was able to extend my vacation by a night so will get most of the day at Disneyland and a full day at California Adventure! If you could pm me the name/phone number in case I need I would appreciate it!
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004