Quantcast Yet Another Entetainment Cut????

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Posted 03-13-2014 01:14 PM by DizneyFreak2002

Let me start by saying: THIS IS ONLY A RUMOR... No confirmed reports out there as of yet... But the current rumor is (AGAIN STRESSING RUMOR!!!!) is that Voices of Liberty will not have their contract renewed and will, in fact, be a cost cutting, um, cut, and will have their run end on March 23...

Again, this is only a rumor that is currently making the rounds on the internet... There has been no solid proof that VoL are in fact being cut... But there are people who claim that the contract is up soon and negotiations are supposedly on going... Do VoL actually work on a contract basis?

Is there anyone here who knows what exactly the story is?

---------------------------------------------------------
    Updated 03-13-2014 04:44 PM by DizneyFreak2002

Thankfully, this does seem like it is just a rumor with no basis in fact... VoL is on hiatus, or will be shortly, for rehearsals as they introduce a new CM into the fold... This is coming from someone in entertainment on another site... Let's hope they have the information right....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh! Seems as of late, these rumblings usually prove to be true more often than not. IF this is true, and the contract isn't renewed, I personally will be very upset. They aren't just entertainment before the attraction. They are part of the attraction. I just can't believe Disney would go this route, but I never thought they'd get rid of the Billies at Disneyland either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Ugh! Seems as of late, these rumblings usually prove to be true more often than not. IF this is true, and the contract isn't renewed, I personally will be very upset. They aren't just entertainment before the attraction. They are part of the attraction. I just can't believe Disney would go this route, but I never thought they'd get rid of the Billies at Disneyland either.
    Mel, I agree. Some of the entertainment in WS is nice compliment to the atmosphere of a country or land and while I don't like to see them leave, it does not take away from my overall enjoyment of that country/area. Voices of Liberty are different as they are an extension of the overall American Adventure presentation.

Like you said, though, if TD Anaheim got rid of the Billies, nothing is truly protected.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

whoa.

You know, I figured out a long time ago that it is the cast members that make Disney a special place.

Since I have been going, I have seen at least 3 'interactive' attractions be added that have nothing to do with personal interaction. AND I have seen personal entertainment/interactions being reduced.

I think there is a thread up right now about being in MK after park hours. To me it will always be the people who make the magic, so really I have no desire to be in an empty park, less crowded park, yes, but empty, no.

I hope that the folks managing the parks realize sooner than later that the real magic lies in its cast and not these electronic substitutes.

What a shame if they were to remove Voices of Liberty...

What's next, Off Kilter? Hoop De Doo? Streetmosphere in DHS? Do we really NEED the Mayor on Main Street? No one really needs those characters...

Here's hoping this is just a disappointing RUMOR.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard from an inside source that a lot of the performers in the different countries will not be returning.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I hope this rumor does not prove to be true! I love the VoL and always make it a point to catch their show when I visit EPCOT. I look at the VoL as the opening act to the American Adventure and it will truly detract from the overall show if they are cancelled.
    K

"...in the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki room..."

1975 - 2000 Various 11 trips
    2003 Contempory, 2006 Polynesian; 2009 Disney Cruise; 2010 POR; AP since 6/10; 2011 Contemporary; 2014 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no!!! I hope not. The Voices of Liberty are a must do for us ... usually more than once a trip!

The "entertainment" is such a part of Disney, especially of Epcot and I'm sad with what has already gone but would be heartbroken to loose even more.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    The "entertainment" is such a part of Disney, especially of Epcot and I'm sad with what has already gone but would be heartbroken to loose even more.
    The entertainment IS such a large part of Epcot, and makes up for the 'lack' of attractions in World Showcase. Remove the entertainment, and you've pretty much got restaurants and shops. Not that we don't all love those restaurants and shops, but really....Disney can't rest their laurels on that. The Ziti Sisters are gone. The Chinese acrobats are gone. Miyuki is gone. Have there been replacements for these?

Post Thanks / Like

The entertainment IS such a large part of Epcot, and makes up for the 'lack' of attractions in World Showcase. Remove the entertainment, and you've pretty much got restaurants and shops. Not that we don't all love those restaurants and shops, but really....Disney can't rest their laurels on that. The Ziti Sisters are gone. The Chinese acrobats are gone. Miyuki is gone. Have there been replacements for these?
    Did not know the acrobats were gone...
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Did not know the acrobats were gone...

I think they actually were replaced with a similar group though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hard time believing all this entertainment costs SO much. More likely, Disney wants to get rid of all these "contractors" in their parks and replace them with actual Disney employees.

This seems to be why Push, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, and all the previously mentioned acts have been eliminated. This can't be simple cost cutting. Something else is at play here.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Miyuki is gone.
    Is that the candy lady? I thought she left because she was having health issues and couldn't keep working a daily schedule. All the others, though, I agree were Disney corporate's doing. Though Natalie's reasoning makes sense as their possible long term strategy.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Is that the candy lady? I thought she left because she was having health issues and couldn't keep working a daily schedule. All the others, though, I agree were Disney corporate's doing. Though Natalie's reasoning makes sense as their possible long term strategy.

I never heard an official reason for her departure, but whatever it may have been, the 'entertainment' wasn't replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm not saying they wouldn't do it ... at this point I put absolutely nothing past TDO ... but I would be surprised if they let VoL go.

They have a pretty big presence not only in the attraction, but also in other shows and venues (Candlelight Processional to name just one).

But ... if they think it'll save them a few nickels and help absorb the outrageous waste of money that has been "MyMagicFastpassYourWay+" I could see them doing it. God forbid we have a quarter where we're not in the black.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    God forbid we have a quarter where we're not in the black.
    It doesn't even seem to be about whether they are in the black or not. It is about staying a certain amount (an outrageous one, IMO) in the black.

I have had the growing suspicion that Epcot is going to have three seasons: Flowers, Food/Wine, and Christmas. If what you do doesn't line up with those directly, you're going to be on the chopping block.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I have had the growing suspicion that Epcot is going to have three seasons: Flowers, Food/Wine, and Christmas. If what you do doesn't line up with those directly, you're going to be on the chopping block.
    Isn't this what it is now? lol
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Isn't this what it is now? lol
    Yeah, I guess so. Terribly unfortunate, for those of us who enjoyed it when it was supposed to be more than that. For whatever reason, Disney management has seemingly struggled to recreate the atmosphere, theme, and sense of purpose that the first 10 years of EPCOT Center had.

Post Thanks / Like

Many of the recent "cuts" have been outside contractors with whom Disney could not reach an agreement with, correct?

If so, it is difficult to criticize the company without knowing what occurred during negotiations IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    Many of the recent "cuts" have been outside contractors with whom Disney could not reach an agreement with, correct?

If so, it is difficult to criticize the company without knowing what occurred during negotiations IMO.
    Perhaps difficult on an individual basis, but it seems to be part of a trend. A trend where "little things" disappear that give the parks a sense of charm and that make WDW different from other places in order to squeeze out another 3.2 cents (or whatever the actual amount is that the accountant projects) per guest.

Whats makes it appear all the worse is that the items that disappear are replaced by either nothing (as is often the case with entertainment ) or something hoped to create some incremental degree of revenue...say room for a few more tables of counter service dining at Caseys after removing the bleachers and cartoon screen.

Many of the decision makers don't seem to grasp that it's these little things that give WDW its appeal. The little things add to the story, and in the end Disney is about story.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post

Unless these outside contractors are all the same company, or represented by the same company, it would be fair to criticize the common factor in all of them (Disney). Unless you might be suggesting that all of the contractors colluded to demand terms that were beyond normal extensions that were signed in the past?

The only thing we do know is what was said involving Push. In that instance, the contractor indicated that Disney was seeking additional intellectual property rights and refused to sign an extension not including that.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: