Quantcast Disney Vacation Account

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Vacation Account

Maybe this had been posted already but could find anything, I noticed the Disney site had a Disney vacation account which is like a savings account for a Disney vacation but it doesn't look like you get any interest like other savings accounts. https://disneyvacationaccount.disney.go.com

You can save a little at a time then you can use that account to pay for your trip. Sounds like a fun way to save money.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It does look fun, but I haven't been hearing too many good things about it.

It could just be because it is new, but aside from the "fun" factor of having a Disney savings account, I bet you'd make out better at a regular bank, in terms of being able to get more interest, and easier access to your money.

Still, for some, it will be motivation to save for a Disney vacation.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds fun - I wouldn't worry about any interest because interest on a savings account these days is a joke.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

So someone would be loaning Disney their money up front for a vacation in the future and getting zero interest?

I get that interest rates on savings accounts are low, but as the previous poster mentioned, at least at your own bank you can get some interest, and have easier access to that money.

I guess the target audience for this is basically Disney nuts who are really bad with money and can't do basic math?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post

I get that interest rates on savings accounts are low, but as the previous poster mentioned, at least at your own bank you can get some interest, and have easier access to that money.

I guess the target audience for this is basically Disney nuts who are really bad with money and can't do basic math?
    You're right about easier access to your money at your own bank. I'm assuming if your trip plans change you can get your money back???
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

It does say you can get your money back anytime in the form of what you used to deposit the money. It also says you get $20 gift card for every $1000 you spend on a qualified purchase using the account.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard some reports of a delay in getting money back ... it could just be because it is new, but I think it is really designed to be spent on a Disney trip.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting concept... This should definitely help those that have trouble saving on their own and ease the burden of an expensive trip that must be paid for upfront. Personally, I wouldn't use it, but I can see its purpose and would guess this becomes popular.

I liken this to the Disney Visa Card. Other than the picture of a Mouse on the front, and minor Disney "perks" that most people don't use, there isn't a benefit to getting the card over a standard cash back reward credit card and putting the cash back away yourself in an interest bearing account. Most times you can get far better rewards from a different credit card. Still, many people LOVE the Disney Visa because it helps them save for a trip without thinking about it.
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

Sam Eagle: "WILL YOU STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS!"
    Gonzo: "What Foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    It does say you can get your money back anytime in the form of what you used to deposit the money. It also says you get $20 gift card for every $1000 you spend on a qualified purchase using the account.
    If true, this is much better than the interest on any current bank savings account, unless you want to tie up your money in a CD for five years.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    If true, this is much better than the interest on any current bank savings account, unless you want to tie up your money in a CD for five years.
    It is true, there are a couple little things,

A Disney Vacation Account makes it easy to save for your Disney vacation a little bit at a time. You'll enjoy your vacation knowing that you've saved in advance.

You'll be eligible for a $20 Disney Gift Card for every $1000 you spend on qualified vacation purchases with your Disney Vacation Account prior to December 31, 2015 (date subject to extension), up to a total $500 in Disney Gift Card(s) per household. Your Disney Vacation Account must be active for a minimum of 120 days at the time of spending in order to receive this bonus. Request your Disney Gift Card(s) 4-6 weeks in advance of your vacation date to allow time for delivery to your mailing address. See FAQs for complete details.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, 2 percent is better than any bank savings account. And a family of four on a four-day trip will spend over $1,000 on park tickets alone.

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    So someone would be loaning Disney their money up front for a vacation in the future and getting zero interest?

Yep. There are other ways to save money besides a basic savings account. It seems silly to me. We have an high yield investor account with Scwab and we get a better return than 2%.

It's just another way for Disney to guarantee it's the only place you will go on vacation, just like DVC.

Not to put all the Disney nuts in the same category but I have a friend who has credit card debt in the 15 thousand dollar range to support her Disney habit. She also took a second mortgage out on her house to pay for DVC. This Disney savings account would be right up her alley.

Why would you want to "guarantee" a vacation to any destination? What good are Disney credits when you want to pay for college tuition for your kids? Or save for retirement?

We do have a Disney Visa that we use for everything and then pay it all off at the end of the month. However, I think we are going to switch to a Hilton card after this trip we have planned for Disney in October.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneynarula View Post
    Yep. There are other ways to save money besides a basic savings account. It seems silly to me. We have an high yield investor account with Scwab and we get a better return than 2%.

It's just another way for Disney to guarantee it's the only place you will go on vacation, just like DVC.

Not to put all the Disney nuts in the same category but I have a friend who has credit card debt in the 15 thousand dollar range to support her Disney habit. She also took a second mortgage out on her house to pay for DVC. This Disney savings account would be right up her alley.

Why would you want to "guarantee" a vacation to any destination? What good are Disney credits when you want to pay for college tuition for your kids? Or save for retirement?

We do have a Disney Visa that we use for everything and then pay it all off at the end of the month. However, I think we are going to switch to a Hilton card after this trip we have planned for Disney in October.
    This is just another way to pay for a vacation -- nothing more. It's not a loan, and I don't think anyone implied they should use this account instead of paying for college tuition. If you already have an investor account that pays more than 2%, that's great. I'm assuming you're also paying fees on that account and that it's financially riskier than a savings account.

The information states that you can withdraw your money in full at any time with no fees, so you're not locked into going on vacation. And the rewards amount to either a discount or money on your dollar, whichever way you want to look at it. It seems pretty benign to me -- I don't think there's any need to lump everyone who considers it into the "indebted Disney nut" category.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneynarula View Post

People who use this savings account I would think would be mostly people who are planning a Disney trip ahead of time. Like if I planning a trip in a year or 2 I could use the account to start setting money aside once a week or once a month. Like said in post above you aren't locked into anything, you can take out some of the money or all of it any time.

With the DVC can't you use it to stay other places and not just Disney resorts if you choose to?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    The information states that you can withdraw your money in full at any time with no fees, so you're not locked into going on vacation. And the rewards amount to either a discount or money on your dollar, whichever way you want to look at it. It seems pretty benign to me -- I don't think there's any need to lump everyone who considers it into the "indebted Disney nut" category.
    Well said! I considered the Disney account, just for the convenience of setting aside my "play money" savings separate from my "rainy day" savings, but just went with a prepaid debit card which I can contribute to direct deposit from my paycheck every week. Same idea, different avenue.

Whatever works for you, go with it I say! And everyone enjoy your next trip to the House of Mouse!
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Visa

I get some discounts using Disney visa for WDW tours/cirque tickets. That helps too.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: