Quantcast Rental Car?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Rental Car?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rental Car?

Should we get a Rental Car or settle for the on property transportation. We have some Early morning meals and some park hoping ADR's.

Jeremy

All Star Movies 99
    Pop Century 02
    Animal Kingdom 05
    All Star Movies 09
    All Star Movies 14 (Dec)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your budget and whether you plan on doing any off property activities. Personally, I always get a car (shopping around constantly for a good deal) because I like the flexibility/choice and usually do a couple Universal todays as well.

That being said, early morning ADRs and park hopping are certainly doable without a rental. You may need to employ a taxi depending on where and when your early morning ADRs are, but it can be done.

If renting, keep in mind all options for discounts, and usually you find the cheapest price closer to your trip.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on the rental... Prices got out of control, and it got too dangerous. Remember most people around there haven't a clue where they are going. Used to always see accidents on the road ways, etc.

We use a limo/town car to/from the airport and then whatever transportation is available. Never taken a taxi. We don't book super early breakfasts, but we would miss them for reasons other than transportation if we did.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't often rent a car and typically rely on Disney transportation when we are on-site. I know folks say that cars are faster and quicker but I also experienced the following scenario: Brother's family and I were staying together at Old Key West. He had a rental. We did not. One morning, we were at the bus stop waiting - on our way to the Magic Kingdom for an early morning reservation at Crystal Palace. We saw my brother and his family leave the resort in his car. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom and were let into the park pre-opening (since our reservation was before park opening). We wandered up and down Main Street, taking pictures along the way. We were in the park for 15-20 minutes before my brother and his family arrived. Now, I'm sure it doesn't always work this way but we have not found Disney transportation to be an impediment to our getting around.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    We don't often rent a car and typically rely on Disney transportation when we are on-site. I know folks say that cars are faster and quicker but I also experienced the following scenario: Brother's family and I were staying together at Old Key West. He had a rental. We did not. One morning, we were at the bus stop waiting - on our way to the Magic Kingdom for an early morning reservation at Crystal Palace. We saw my brother and his family leave the resort in his car. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom and were let into the park pre-opening (since our reservation was before park opening). We wandered up and down Main Street, taking pictures along the way. We were in the park for 15-20 minutes before my brother and his family arrived. Now, I'm sure it doesn't always work this way but we have not found Disney transportation to be an impediment to our getting around.
    Disney will route busses around traffic, etc. Don't underestimate the time at the parking lot booths, as well as the time waiting for a tram (and even possibly monorail/ferry). When leaving at park closing, there are tons of cars as well.

I feel that Disney transport in general is quicker than a car. ME being an exception, but that's not really Disney transportation. May not like the people around you, etc on the bus, but I feel it's the best way to get around the property, worry free.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on what hotels you are staying at and how familiar you are with WDW. If you're going to MK then take buses/boat/monorail.

All other parks, I find car is easier. Also depending on which hotel you stay at, the walk to the buses is longest at the cheapest hotels. Most expensive ones being first in line. It's almost quicker to get to the car then to walk all the way to the value resort bus (IMO).

Again, depends on where you stay and where are you are going. Parking at DD can be crazy now cuz of construction, so may bus there is better. But to explore other resorts or eat, taking a car is ideal to me.

Good luck in deciding!
    acts: "It all started with a mouse..."-Walter Elias Disney

May '15 Offsite;Dec '14 AKL; Aug '14 GF; May '14 ASM; Aug '13 CTMP; May '13 YC; Dec '12 ASM; Apr '12 AKL; Feb '12 CBR; Mar '10; 2009-1975 Too many....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say go for the rental car.

Our last two stays were both at POR, with 3 kids. In 2010 we relied on Disney transportation the entire trip, from Airport to POR and back again.

In 2012, we again stayed at POR, to ME to the hotel but this time opted for a rental car.

With the exception of Magic Kingdom (where the buses get you closer to the park entrance) I found the rental car way faster than the Disney transportation and ultimately much more convenient.

We had a 9 night - 10 day stay. I rented from Alamo right on property. Day 1 we came in early evening and took ME from the airport. Next morning while family was sleeping in, I had Alamo pick me up at hotel and I got the car. By not renting at the airport I saved two days rental (not needing it day 1 and then returning it the day before we took ME back) and it was cheaper to rent on property then pay the additional airport fees and taxes.

The biggest thing for us is that we were down there on free dining both times. When relying on Disney transportation, while great, it does add time, especially if you are in one park and then dining somewhere else and have to manage transportation.

We usually get to the parks near rope drop and I swear, one morning I think from the time the family was in and loaded in the car, it was literally 5 minutes from the POR parking lot to EPCOT parking lot. No waiting for the right bus, no crossing fingers that the bus wasn't full and more importantly, at night when everyone is tired, no waiting.

If we were staying at a monorail resort or one of the EPCOT/Boardwalk resorts, I wouldn't get one, but staying at any of the others, for $300-400 its not too much to pay for gaining extra time and convenience.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: