Quantcast Thunderstorms and waterparks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thunderstorms and waterparks

So I was hoping against hope that my family would not get rained out next week at the waterparks. It's not looking so good, though. I should have known better, since I was born and raised Floridian.

We are planning to get the FL Res Waterparks after 2 passes, since they are such a good price and the teen doesn't care to get up early every day.

Can anyone walk me through a typical Central FL afternoon at the waterpark with thunderstorms approaching? Do they just shut the rides down for lightning or does any threat call a halt? Does everyone just hang around and wait for the all clear? At what point does the park shut down completely?

Any insight would be appreciated. In the meantime, I guess I'll make a backup plan.
    Tina

Family Vacation July 2014 - Water Parks, here we come!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember the exact distance, but when lightning is detected within a certain radius (I think it's 10 miles, but again I don't remember for sure) the park is shut down until lightning is past. No lightning, no bother, but during the summer it's going to be thunderstorms and that means pretty intense lightning. Generally they form in the 2-5 pm time frame and will impact the water parks anywhere from 1-2 hours. The storms are not very big, then tend to move pretty quickly, but they are quite intense when they're over you. Lightning kills more people each year than tornadoes and hurricanes combined, so it's a very real concern. As for next week, thunderstorms will form every afternoon but nothing out of the ordinary. It's about a 50-50 shot whether one will come over your location. Just keep a check on the weather forecast thread for any changes.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

From past waterpark experience, they know before you do that a thunderstorm is coming and they issue loud warnings of what is about to come, and then it sometimes becomes a mass exit situation. Which isn't as bad as it sounds, with multiple buses coming for a crowd that spreads out between multiple destination options, and there are always some stragglers who think they are going to wait it out.

At the waterparks, they are very prepared when it comes to storms. I would go and enjoy my time and let them worry about it, knowing I will have warning and time to leave if it becomes necessary.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We have been at TL during storms - two years in a row - the park tends to clear out and then you have the slides to yourself! I wouldn't worry about what might happen especially if you can get the tickets at a decent price. We had rented a cabana and still felt like we got our money's worth despite the storms. Some of our favorite family memories!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    I don't remember the exact distance, but when lightning is detected within a certain radius (I think it's 10 miles, but again I don't remember for sure) the park is shut down until lightning is past.
    We were just on vacation at WDW and at the resort pool, the lifeguard told us that when a strike was within 6 miles, they have to shut down the pool for 30 minutes. That's 30 minutes for each strike after the first occurs until the coast is clear. I don't know if that is the same for the waterparks, but that was the rule at the GF resort.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    We were just on vacation at WDW and at the resort pool, the lifeguard told us that when a strike was within 6 miles, they have to shut down the pool for 30 minutes. That's 30 minutes for each strike after the first occurs until the coast is clear. I don't know if that is the same for the waterparks, but that was the rule at the GF resort.
    That's probably the same limit for the water parks, too. 6 miles is reasonable. The basic rule of thumb is if you can hear the thunder, the lightning can hit you.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I know over here in the Tampa area most places do 5-10 miles and the 1/2 hour rule.

One thing I did find interesting is that Legoland uses 25 miles or at least that's what they told us when we where there last month. We are used to being careful with lightening but it was pretty disappointing to have rides closed when the sky was bright blue.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: