Quantcast Destin Hotels?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Destin Hotels?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Destin Hotels?

I'm looking for a nice, clean hotel on the beach at Destin with a balcony.... Any hotels out there fit what I'm looking for? Also is there a big difference between Fort Walton Beach and Destin Beach?

Thank you!!!!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Santa Rosa Beach, which is right next to Destin. You're coming to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world! The areas are quite different. Ft Walton Beach is more of a "town." Destin is more of a tourist destination. Destin is pretty much made up of hotels, restaurants and shops. Ft Walton Beach is driven by the military presence and really isn't touristy. Santa Rosa Beach, especially the 30a corridor where I live, is more local flair. While Destin has all the chain restaurants, Santa Rosa Beach has lots of locally owned shops and eateries (and the movie, The Truman Show, was filmed in Seaside, which is one of the communities along 30a). The beaches along 30a tend to be less crowded than Destin, too. I would suggest you look into staying at the Sandestin Resort, especially if you want a balcony with a beach view (the bay view is very nice, too on the other side of the resort) or getting a cabin at Topsail State Park (they're really nice cabins). There are plenty of chain hotels in Destin and they're all nice enough. The development in the area is new enough you don't really have any of the roach motels. If you have any other specific questions let me know and welcome to the Emerald Coast!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We stay in a condo on the beach when we visit Destin. Check out Vacation Rental by Owner (VRBO). You will find tons of rental properties on that site. We have used VRBO several times now, for Destin and other locations, and have always had good experiences with our rentals.

We love the 30a area, especially Seaside (our favorite) and Watercolor. Those two little beach towns tend to be pretty expensive, but there are other areas along 30A that look to be a little more reasonable.

A popular place, which I think is in Fort Walton, is the Waterscapes resort. We have never stayed there, but I have lots and lots of friends and family who love it there.

We have stayed at the Pelican Beach Resort the past few years. It's a somewhat older building, but it's reasonably priced for us and we like the location. This year we had a newly refurbished unit and it was super clean and so cute, exactly the way I would decorate a beach house. I think it was unit 1404. We rented through VRBO.

Hope you find something you love. Destin, and that while area of Florida, is so beautiful. We almost miss it as much as we miss Disney!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking either at Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf & Spa Resort at Miramar Beach or the new Holiday Inn at Fort Walton Beach. Both have balconies the HI is about half the price tho, the reviews are good on both and the ocean pics both look beautiful. Is there a big difference between Miramar Beach and Fort Walton Beach? We'd like to have something fun to do at night and of course a beautiful beach during the day.

Post Thanks / Like

The Hilton is right in the middle of the action in Sandestin. You're right on the Gulf with a great view and isolated at the beach, but then as part of Sandestin you have Baytowne which is a very cool place to hang out. Silver Sands outlet mall is 2 min away, lots of restaurants and other things to do in that area. I've never heard of anyone not enjoying staying on-property at the Sandestin Resort. The Holiday Inn in Ft Walton would have far fewer amenities and, as I mentioned previously, there's not as much to do in Ft Walton. Okaloosa Island and Destin aren't far, though, if you'd rather stay in Ft Walton and drive to the activities. The Gulfarium on Okaloosa Island is fun as is the Harbor Walk in Destin.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

How's the Sarasota area? I know it's the opposite direction but the water there looks beautiful! Which beach/ water would you say is better?

Post Thanks / Like

One more question! I've seen pics of green algae in the Destin area recently. Do you know if it's still there & is that normal in September/october?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajwgroomer View Post
    One more question! I've seen pics of green algae in the Destin area recently. Do you know if it's still there & is that normal in September/october?
    I don't know a ton about Sarasota, but you won't see more beautiful water and sand anywhere than here. No, the algae isn't a problem right now. Sometimes it pops up in the summer, but the water has been perfectly clear the last 3-4 weeks. It's the perfect emerald shade that the Emerald Coast is known for. Plus September/October is a great time to be in Destin. That's in between summer tourist season and snowbird season so you can enjoy everything without the crowds.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    I don't know a ton about Sarasota, but you won't see more beautiful water and sand anywhere than here. No, the algae isn't a problem right now. Sometimes it pops up in the summer, but the water has been perfectly clear the last 3-4 weeks. It's the perfect emerald shade that the Emerald Coast is known for. Plus September/October is a great time to be in Destin. That's in between summer tourist season and snowbird season so you can enjoy everything without the crowds.
    I know a bit more about the Sarasota area and it is as beautiful as the Destin area, but Sarasota can be pretty expensive. Another thing about Sarasota I don't know of a lot of things to do that are within walking distance of the beach, but it has been a while since I was there as I usually stay in the St. Pete/Clearwater area. Between Sarasota and Destin, I think Destin is beautiful (I visited a while ago) and is a better value and more fun for a family.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Thank ya'll for the help! I booked a room for the way home in Destin It'll be nice to have some relaxation after Disney and take a break during the ride home!

Post Thanks / Like

Well stop by and say hi on your way through. Enjoy your time here!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Excited to be stopping a night in Destin on our way to Disney soon....sounds like we'll be pleased with the Hilton SanDestin resort!!! =)
    2002 All-Star
    2004 Port Orleans
    2008 Port Orleans & Disney Wonder

2011 Port Orleans & Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club
    2013 Port Orleans & Boardwalk
    2014 Grand Floridian
    2015 Port Orleans
    2015 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

You'll definitely enjoy it. Beautiful Gulf view and grounds.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks!! We've heard the water is prettier than our Texas Gulf )
    2002 All-Star
    2004 Port Orleans

2012 Beach Club
    2014 Grand Floridian
    2015 Port Orleans
    2015 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

It is. Gorgeous sugar white sand and crystal clear emerald water. The Emerald Coast is the perfect name for this area.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

We're so looking forward to it!! 😊
    2002 All-Star
    2004 Port Orleans

2012 Beach Club
    2014 Grand Floridian
    2015 Port Orleans
    2015 Wilderness Lodge

Share This Thread On Social Media: