Quantcast Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom - Page 8

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Keep in mind that a new film was made several years ago that Disney refused, as I recall.

True, they have not done this as well as they could have. At this point, it sounds like Disney (as well as many of its guests) would prefer to just give up. I've not argued that Disney has done this well, I've argued against finding new ways to do it poorly.
    You must be an early riser too!!

I didn't know that [or remember that about the film. Interesting.

At the end of the day I think all of us have some valid points, but I also know that Disney is never going to please 100% of the people 100% of the time. I don't know what/if there is one right answer. But I do know that if the World is doing good, they are doing something right.
    It doesn't mean that those of us who like this change are not informed or concerned only about passing fads. I just personally happen to like the idea.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as what Walt wanted for EPCOT goes, I'm pretty sure he also did not intend for hotels spread all around the property, time shares, and buses being driven for 15-18 hours of each day all over the place. There's a lot more wrong with The Florida Project if we want to get into what Walt would have wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    At the end of the day I think all of us have some valid points, but I also know that Disney is never going to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.
    Being happy 100% of the time about everything would be an absurd goal. I would just prefer if they recognized the original intent behind the park and tried to succeed within that criteria. I suppose the truth is that EPCOT Center was regarded as a failure, but nobody wanted to admit as much. What they did do was great, but continuing to carry that vision forward decade after decade proved to be too much for the company to handle. It is on life support now, relying on festivals, tribute bands, and movie-character based overhauls to survive. Imaginatively and innovatively bankrupt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Rumored budget is around 70 million. Doesn't sound like part 2 to me....
    With that kind of budget there better animatronics that rival the new Dwarfs animatronics. I am one that is sad to Maelstrom go but when you think about it the ride was showing it's age. Although If I was playing Theme Park exec I would have built a new Frozen attraction in DHS instead of EPCOT. Either way new life needs to breathed into EPCOT, I love that park for the atmosphere but there needs to be more substance to the park.

"So much style without substance...So much stuff without style"
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    With that kind of budget there better animatronics that rival the new Dwarfs animatronics. I am one that is sad to Maelstrom go but when you think about it the ride was showing it's age. Although If I was playing Theme Park exec I would have built a new Frozen attraction in DHS instead of EPCOT. Either way new life needs to breathed into EPCOT, I love that park for the atmosphere but there needs to be more substance to the park.

"So much style without substance...So much stuff without style"
    A Rush fan?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    A Rush fan?
    Lol yes. I was just listening to Power Windows and that line semed to make sense (even though the songs meaning is completely different.)
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R33 View Post
    We also waited 40 minutes to do so both days so its definitely not a dead ride.
    I don't think the wait time is a 100% reflection of the ride's popularity. It's one of only 2 rides in World Showcase. Some people ride it just for that reason. And since FP+ was introduced, it's been kind of a "leftover" FP choice. Those FPs do affect wait times, because they have to factor those returns back into the standby queue wait. So the wait time can't be a sole factor for measuring popularity. A lot of those people in that line have never ridden Maelstrom before; they're just there because (1) it's a ride in World Showcase, and (2) they had a FP for it.

There are a lot of us who go to Disney repeatedly, but there are also those who go once. Period. And they pay money to ride rides, and Maelstrom is a ride, so people ride it so they can cross it off their lists of rides they paid to ride. And those are the people Disney is targeting. The "one and dones" who Disney wants to make into repeat customers. And Maelstrom, as much as I love it and will miss it, just isn't the "I want to go back!" kind of ride. Y'all have to face it: Disney is cashing in on Frozen's popularity. They'd be stupid not to. And they just expanded Fantasyland, so why would they further interrupt the guest experience at MK to add a Frozen ride?

I love World Showcase. It's always been one of my favorites. I love to stay at Beach Club Villas and stroll in the back of the showcase. Until recently, though, my four kids hated WS. They thought it was boring (the 2 boys, ages 11 and 13, still do, honestly.) They saw it as a grown-ups only park, and it is, to a certain degree. As an adult, I'd love to see it stay that way, but since Disney World is seen as a kids' paradise, I can understand why Disney would want to start luring kids (and their paying parents) to WS. I know a lot of families with kids who skip WS altogether. You cannot convince them that their kids will like it, no matter how many masks they can make at the KIDCOT stops, or how you extol the fun of the Agent P game, or tell them about getting stamps on their passports. Eleven countries with only 2 rides plus a looooooooong walk around a lagoon just doesn't thrill parents of small kids.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    And now I'm kicking myself for not riding Maelstrom when we were there in August.
    I took my 16 YO daughter on a trip in March. Her spring break didn't line up with my other 3 kids' break, so we did a Mom/Daughter trip. We got a FP for Maelstrom on a whim, and I'm so glad we rode it. All 6 of us are going in November, and my 3 youngest kids are sad that they won't get to ride Maelstrom one last time. I am, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    All I know is today's Epcot is dull. While I enjoy it for the atmosphere, it desperately needs some life. I'm just glad Disney is putting some money into it.
    Agreed. I love WS, but if I only have 4 or 5 days at the parks, I am usually inclined to skip the countries in favor of a park with rides, simply because my kids prefer DHS, AK, MK and E:FW. It's rare that I get to enjoy strolling around the countries anymore, because my kids think it's soooooo boooooooring. And they're 10, 11, 13 and 16. They have outgrown KIDCOT stops and Agent P, so browsing gift shops just isn't their thing anymore.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    It is dull because the park has been in decline thematically and in sheer number of attractions for many years. Not because of the lack of attractions involving movie characters, but because Disney is largely incapable of driving the concepts the park was built on. It is also pretty universally recognized that they struggle with Tomorrowland as well. They're good at Fantasyland and are, in a way, turning everything into that.
    I do agree with you here, but I think I've sort of given up hope that they'll ever be able solve this problem with the current situation in WDW.

At this point, I'm going to be accepting if they do something well. Anything.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disappointed.

When I broke the news to my family at dinner last night, they were not happy campers. We all love Frozen the movie, but we all share in the feeling that EPCOT World Showcase pavilions should be true to their source, in this case Norway. That is what we enjoy so much about EP/WS, is learning about other countries and their FACTUAL culture and land. This move will set precedent for Disney to reinvent how other countries in the WS will be represented in the future. "Back back over the falls..."
    Next Up: 06/2017 POLY
    06/2015 POFQ
    11/2013 WL
    06/2012 Swan
    09/2011 POP/WL
    11/2010 WL
    01/2010 HIEX Off-Site
    06/2009 CBR
    11/2007 PORS
    05/2006 POFQ
    10/1999 Beach Club/DCL Wonder
    06/1997 Beach Club
    06/1994 POFQ
    09/1992 CBR
    05/1980 Royal Plaza Hotel - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Terra said add philly cheesesteaks in the American pavilion! More genius then the frozen ride!!!
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

At this point, I'm going to be accepting if they do something well. Anything.
    That's probably the rational thing to do.

This kinda feels like the prisoner's dilemma game.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad Frozen wasn't a thought on their radar when they redid the New Fantasyland, and instead of the Journey of the Little Mermaid, and they could have done a beautiful Frozen attraction there. Fresh and new, with all the themeing that we have come to love.

Just my opinion though....
    I do enjoy the Little Mermaid attraction, just kind of think a Frozen attraction belongs over in Fantasyland.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

DH wrote an email just to get it off his chest. Thought I'd share the canned response here.

"We appreciate your feedback about the Frozen attraction and understand your concern for Epcot’s Norway Pavilion. We are fortunate to have so many passionate fans like you and we don’t take that for granted. Walt Disney himself always intended for our parks to evolve, and we regularly find ourselves balancing the things Guests have always loved about the park with continuing to provide new experiences. We use the feedback we get from our Guests to help us make those decisions.

Frozen is extremely popular with our Guests and now they will be able to experience and immerse themselves in many of their favorite moments and music from the film. This attraction will keep with our focus and tradition of providing our Guests with the best possible experiences rich in Disney storytelling.

We think it’s appropriate to locate the Frozen attraction at Epcot’s Norway Pavilion, since this is the country that inspired the film. Norway will remain open during construction, and we plan to continue to offer authentic Norwegian food, architecture, and exhibits that so many Guests like you enjoy.

We respect your opinions and appreciate the continued enthusiasm you have for our products & services.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us."
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    DH wrote an email just to get it off his chest. Thought I'd share the canned response here.

"We appreciate your feedback about the Frozen attraction and understand your concern for Epcot’s Norway Pavilion. We are fortunate to have so many passionate fans like you and we don’t take that for granted. Walt Disney himself always intended for our parks to evolve, and we regularly find ourselves balancing the things Guests have always loved about the park with continuing to provide new experiences. We use the feedback we get from our Guests to help us make those decisions.

Frozen is extremely popular with our Guests and now they will be able to experience and immerse themselves in many of their favorite moments and music from the film. This attraction will keep with our focus and tradition of providing our Guests with the best possible experiences rich in Disney storytelling.

We think it’s appropriate to locate the Frozen attraction at Epcot’s Norway Pavilion, since this is the country that inspired the film. Norway will remain open during construction, and we plan to continue to offer authentic Norwegian food, architecture, and exhibits that so many Guests like you enjoy.

We respect your opinions and appreciate the continued enthusiasm you have for our products & services.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us."
    It may be a canned response, but I don't think it is that bad of a response. They are capitalizing on the film's popularity and give people what they want. May not be what Disney traditionalists like, but at the end of the day they are for profit business.

It also seems like the shops will still be there, so I think that is good. I've always thought that WS was there to just give people a "taste" of the representative countries. It should not be a replacement for actual world travel. For example, I love strolling through the France pavilion. I realize, though, that if I am able to find a decent airfare to join my sister in Paris in November it will be much more than what I see in the pavilion. The pavilion just whets the appetite.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Rumored budget is around 70 million. Doesn't sound like part 2 to me....
    Wow!! Now I'm really excited to see the results! Combine that with the projected open date and it definitely doesn't sound like they're planning a lame overlay.

I could see where Fantasyland would be a better fit for this, but they've just done a huge expansion there that I, for one, am impressed with. I can understand why they wouldn't add another ride there right now. Maelstrom never struck me as overwhelmingly educational. It will be great though if the new ride has some real info about life in Norway as well.

And, I agree with Hammer. For a canned response, that's pretty good! It's tailored, detailed and is not condescending or dismissive. It also accurately points out that there will still be the rest of the Norway pavilion.

I also agree that those pavilions are more like a taste of the countries. We've been to France, Germany, Italy and England and you're not exactly getting an immersion in these cultures in WS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    It may be a canned response, but I don't think it is that bad of a response. They are capitalizing on the film's popularity and give people what they want. May not be what Disney traditionalists like, but at the end of the day they are for profit business.
    Yeah, I actually thought it was was pretty honest.

For profit is right. One thing I haven't mentioned yet in this thread is that a mere 24 hours before this announcement was made, my in-laws decided not to renew their APs, and cited the Maelstrom rumor as one of their reasons. They actually received a phone call and were assured in no uncertain terms that there was no truth to the rumor! In that call she did not address any of the other concerns they listed; it was a direct response to the Norway rumor. Now, obviously, the lower cogs on the wheel probably aren't in the loop, but it still left a bad taste in their mouths to be told something in an attempt to hang onto their AP dollars that less than a day later turned out to be untrue.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about this and I think they might try and reuse some parts of the ride. Here is some Armchair Imagineering

The water will be drained and the ride will become an omnimover, like most of Fantasyland. The facade will change, with the waterfall and stone work going away. An extension of the building would be desirable since Maelstrom it a tight fit but the theorized budget seems kinda small for that. We shall see where construction walls start popping up during the end of the year.

It would be beneficial to flip the ride; this way the theater and surrounding space can be turned into a better queue. This will allow for changes to the fishing village to look more like the town from the movie (the kingdom was Arendelle did we get the name of the town?). Here you will get in sleighs which will take you to the coronation.

Not sure what scenes will be chosen. The oil rig room has space for two scenes. One nice scene would be at the top of the first climb (remember the ride is reserved in this sketch) you see Elsa loose control of her powers, your vehicle does a quick 180 as if you were running away. After the turn you see ice shards creeping towards you. Then another vehicle turn and you would continue on in the chase after Elsa.One of the Polar Bears could easily morph into Marshmallow. I should stop speculation.

Was there any reason that the ride had the hill climb beyond there being a drop? I can't think of what would be below the ride except the exit queue.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sort of surprised so many folks have a hard time with the addition of characters to World Showcase.

While I understand that historically Epcot hasn't had characters, let's remember that it's not like Epcot is Walt's creation or something. There's no history here beyond just what the Imagineers came up with in the absence of Walt's leadership. Walt wanted Epcot to be a real live city, so I mean if you want to nitpick the park has never been what it was supposed to be according to the vision of the company's founder.

All I know is today's Epcot is dull. While I enjoy it for the atmosphere, it desperately needs some life. I'm just glad Disney is putting some money into it.

Although, I'm hesitant to get too excited until I see the finished product. I have a bad feeling we're going to get The Three Caballeros Part II.
    I love the WS but I also have to agree - Epcot is kinda dull. Especially where my kids are concerned. There are 2 things they like in Epcot - Nemo and Imagination. Everything else they are fine with skipping. Now that they've added the Agent P Adventures that does help some and we got to spend some significant time in Germany and China the last trip. But to them the WS means food and shopping. Which equals BORING. The last trip we did manage to work in some of the character greats as a way of entertainment but while my daughter loved it, there was nothing of interest to my son. Epcot needs some life in it.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm late to the party, but I have to say I'm not upset about this one. DH and I love the world showcase, but we skip every ride there. We've done them before, and weren't super thrilled with any of them (although my five-year-old likes to see Donald in Mexico).
    My girls will be thrilled with the Frozen ride, and will be pacified enough that DH and I can continue to visit the pavilions for little while longer.
    The meet and greet doesn't bother me either, since there's a character in almost every country already, and maybe this will lessen the wait time in the MK. (And didn't Anna and Elsa start out there anyhow)?
    Actually I like the movie, with its different take on the definition of true love. Hopefully they will keep some of the history of Norway in the ride, but I will wait to cast judgment until I see the ride.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

I cringe a little whenever they invoke Walt for a park that he had zero to do with. He reluctantly agreed to build a "Disneyland type park" in Florida to appease the bankers in a compromise. He was not really interested in repeating himself regardless of how in demand it might have been.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: