Quantcast Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom - Page 10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Intercot is a very small slice of "America." Whether anyone HERE booked a trip to Norway isn't really relevant. The fact is, tourism is up in Norway. It cannot just be a coincidence that there is that huge an increase in the same time period as the biggest animated movie hit of all time was released.

People with means DO book trips to places after seeing a movie that is set there. It happens all the time.
    I am very surprised that people would spend $5000 a piece (I think that's what the article said) on scenes based on a cartoon but maybe it happens. I still stand by what I believe...the casual traveler will not travel to a place like Norway because of an animated movie. That is just my opinion.

Still interested if anyone here has booked a trip to Norway because of the movie.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I will be honest. I never had a desire to visit any of the Scandinavian countries before. After seeing the movie, I'd like to visit Norway. One day I might, and it will be largely due to the fact that Frozen made me look more closely at it.

$5000 is chump change to a lot of people. The argument can be made that you need to be "rich" to visit Europe period. Many people go to Europe over and over again. I bet THOSE are the people who saw Frozen (or whose kids are obsessed with it) who said "well let's go to Norway insted of Paris this year."
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

When I told my teenage son about Maelstrom being replaced by a Frozen attraction he said..
    "I bet your the only one who is upset about this"..
    (I answered... NO Lots of people are..)
    Him.."It's a theme park mom, quit trying to make it into something else".

I guess I he has a point.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofy for pluto View Post
    When I told my teenage son about Maelstrom being replaced by a Frozen attraction he said..
    "I bet your the only one who is upset about this"..
    (I answered... NO Lots of people are..)
    Him.."It's a theme park mom, quit trying to make it into something else".

I guess I he has a point.
    LOL! I guess it's fair to say he does.

I don't think anyone can really pretend that a nearly 30% jump in tourism since the movie came out is just a coincidence.

And, nope, we don't have a trip booked. But, I have to admit that it did get me wondering about what there is to see and do in Norway. Will we do it? Not anytime soon. We've been overseas only a couple of times, so it's certainly not a normal trip for us. But, if it's hit our radar, then it certainly seems possible that it's also hit the radar of people who regularly travel overseas.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to chime in. Forgive me if this has been mentioned or if I am just repeating someone else. I read through most of the thread and just wanted to add that I have mixed feelings. I would always prefer them to add new things than replace something. I always liked Maelstrom and feel that a ride based on an animated film rather than the actual country doesn't do much to showcase that actual country, but Epcot needs to evolve. Right now it's just another park and my younger kids are quite bored there.

When Mr Toad was taken down to be replaced with Winnie the Pooh we all cried and whined. many of us on this very website hated the idea. Winnie the Pooh is now one of the most visited rides at MK. I have never been much of a Pooh fan myself, but the ride is cute. And now with smaller children this ride is a must do every trip. So Maybe Disney will actually get this one right too, maybe they will make another great attraction. I am going to stay positive. I can't even remember what the attractions were like in the building before Mickey's Phillharmagic was put in. I love that show
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Maelstrom does need some updating...but I don't really want this replacement. id like more of an authentic representation of Norway
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I loved Maelstrom and its unfortunate we won't be able to ride it one last time in January, but it does make sense that more child friendly attractions are entering WS. There are the Kidcot stops in the countries, but if you have a child with you that isn't into learning about other cultures just yet more child friendly attractions makes sense. I'm looking forward to see what happens with the new attraction but I will miss the original.
    1/98 - offsite
    4/99 - offsite
    1/00- offsite
    5/03 - offsite
    12/03 - CBR
    12/04 - POP
    4/05 - DLR
    5/06 - POR
    4/08 - POR
    10/09 - POP
    10/11- POP
    12/12 - POP
    1/15 - POFQ
    12/16 - CS / OKW
    1/18 - POP
    9/18 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iluvdumbo View Post
    I loved Maelstrom and its unfortunate we won't be able to ride it one last time in January, but it does make sense that more child friendly attractions are entering WS. There are the Kidcot stops in the countries, but if you have a child with you that isn't into learning about other cultures just yet more child friendly attractions makes sense. I'm looking forward to see what happens with the new attraction but I will miss the original.
    Agreed. Coloring and a couple of stamps doesn't keep my 5, 3, and 1yo happy for the hours that DH and I like to spend in WS. Not saying I don't try to teach them while in that area, but a few boredom busters help me in that area. And who knows, maybe it won't be completely "animated."
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IloveJack View Post
    Agreed. Coloring and a couple of stamps doesn't keep my 5, 3, and 1yo happy for the hours that DH and I like to spend in WS. Not saying I don't try to teach them while in that area, but a few boredom busters help me in that area. And who knows, maybe it won't be completely "animated."
    Good points! And further, it is still more than what some countries offer. Italy? I always pass by them, nothing there. Germany? Love the Beirgarten, but nothing beyond that to attract me [aside from architecture which I love and love to walk WS just to take it all in].
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Frozen Attraction

Any info leak out about what type of ride system it will use? I hope they just don't swap out the polar bears with Olaf.
    76 CR,80 Offsite,82 CR, 85 Offsite, 88/89 GF,
    91 Dolphin, 93 DxL,94 WL,94 POLY,
    97 Offsite, 99 CSR, 02 ASMo, 03/04 ASMo
    04 POR, 05 POR, 08 POR, 10 ASMu FS,
    12 ASMu FS, 14 ASMo,
    POR, 15 POR

Post Thanks / Like

The track will be the same except for an extension at the end where the move was, but that sets will be completely overhauled, not just repurposed.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Well? I'm late to chime in, too. My DH and I decided last night, on a bit of a whim, to book a trip in the beginning of November for the Food and Wine Festival. I haven't posted, or read, these boards in a year...since our last trip. I decided to check things out this morning to see what's been going on over the past year and I have to say that I was SO sad to read that one of my family's all time favorites will be gone by the time we get there! I'm very happy that we got to ride Maelstrom last year! This ride has always been a "must do" for us, and for my kids. We tend to use the quote, "You are not da first to pass dis vay!" all the time.

*sigh* Ah well, nothing I can do about it. I'll just enjoy my memories and try and be open to the new Frozen thing. I have to add that I have no idea why there's so much fuss about Frozen. I tried to watch in once, and I don't get the hype. Too much singing for me. I'm sure the ride will be cool, though...no pun intended.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw some people wearing shirts, "Maelstrom, Let it Go."

Blasphemous. I'm so sick of the Frozen take over. Frozen has taken over DHS (see my comments in the rumor's section).

As far as the kid who said, "mom it's a theme park." Well true, but EPCOT was more than just that, and Frozen reduces it to just that. I love Maelstrom, and admit it needed work, but not replacement into a Frozen whatever.

Why not just hook up a movie witch each area. Brave, well can redo England into Scotland.

Sorry, venting. Hate Frozen. But kids who can't wait, the parents that have gotten dumber over the years, and the chasing of movies independent of certain qualities, well,it was a bad disney week. Just got back, ps, hate MCO to boot.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Texas211... good point on parents becoming dumber. They dont want to teach their kids anything. Instead its all about whatever to keep their kids behaved and or quiet.....phones, ipods, ipads, electronic games.... God for bid your kid has to read or watch an educational video.
    Last edited by John; 10-03-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: TOS Issue
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just an "overlay".

Saw some info on the new construction, and most of the (old) attraction has been completely gutted already.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

.....I keep hearing and seeing commentary from all directions ...and in many different facets tourism related media, that seems to hint that the "Frozen" attraction (as well as the movie) has, or will, spur on an added interest in visiting Norway.

....if Norway is inhabited by annoying little snowmen ....then I'll take a hard pass on a visit in the near future.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP